Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No Death Penalty for Taylor's Killers; Fifth Suspect Charged; Suspect Pleads Guilty (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23491)

skinsfan69 05-14-2008 03:03 PM

re: No Death Penalty for Taylor's Killers; Fifth Suspect Charged; Suspect Pleads Guilty

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;448436]The above statement ignores the fact that many people have confessed to crimes which they did not commit. I know a guy who admitted to a crime he did not commit after enduring a 12 hour interrogation in which he was sleep deprived and too young to really think things through. Rivera is almost certainly guilty, but experience proves that oftentimes the "clear cut" cases are not what they seem.

8 year olds are old enough to recognize that when they fire a gun at someone, they can kill them. Should we start executing 8 year olds?

Are you familiar with the legal system, or are you basing your opinion on news articles written by people who are not legal scholars? No offense intended, but people who think that our legal system makes no sense are usually the very same people who have the least amount of experience with and knowledge of the legal system.

That's probably true, but would you want to live in that kind of police state? I'm surprised that you have so little regard for our constitution.[/quote]

No we don't need to kill 8 year olds. That's not what I'm saying.
We just have different views on it.

FRPLG 05-14-2008 03:44 PM

re: No Death Penalty for Taylor's Killers; Fifth Suspect Charged; Suspect Pleads Guilty

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;448140]So many "clear cut" cases have ended in putting innocent people to death. Just saying.[/QUOTE]

I am a death penalty opponent but I think your statement is a gross over-statement.

MTK 05-14-2008 04:14 PM

[quote=FRPLG;448456]I am a death penalty opponent but I think your statement is a gross over-statement.[/quote]

Why is it a gross overstatement to say that innocent people have been put to death? Is that not true?

FRPLG 05-14-2008 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;448472]Why is it a gross overstatement to say that innocent people have been put to death? Is that not true?[/QUOTE]

I admittedly don't know the numbers but I consider myself relatively well informed and I know of no cases at all. The assertion that there are numerous such cases is an over statement based on what I know. All in all though even one such case is enough to persuade me against the death penalty anyways. And I am absolutely sure there has been someone executed wrongly. I have no doubts about that at all. Simple statistics so it is a certainty.

FRPLG 05-14-2008 04:29 PM

My quick online research of Wikipedia(never wrong!) shows that there are only a few highly suspicious cases that may have been wrongful executions in the US. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution]Wrongful execution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

MTK 05-15-2008 09:07 AM

Perhaps the bigger issue is the number of people on death row who end up being exonerated.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 05-15-2008 10:52 AM

Re: No Death Penalty for Taylor's Killers; Fifth Suspect Charged; Suspect Pleads Guilty

So Hunte got 29 years. I know people want his head and rightly so, but I think that's a pretty stiff sentence. Remember, Hunte has cooperated with police, will cooperate with the prosecutors, he did not enter the house, supposedly didn't know his friend was carrying a gun, and thought he was burglarizing an empty home. 29 years is a long time to spend in prison for sitting in a car during a botched burglary of what he thought was an empty house. I wouldn't say it's too stiff, but it's not exactly a light sentence either.

wilsowilso 05-15-2008 11:57 AM

Re: No Death Penalty for Taylor's Killers; Fifth Suspect Charged; Suspect Pleads Guilty

29 years is a stiff sentence if in fact this guy was just along for the ride on a supposed burglary, but it all depends on if he is eligible for parole. I'm guessing that he will be eligible for parole because this is a plea agreement and he will be testifying for the prosecution. That could cut the sentence at least in half. He was basically the least guilty of the bunch so they give him a deal that allows him to get out in his thirties and have a life. Who knows if this guy deserves any kind of break, but this obviously helps ensure that the shooter receives the harshest possible sentence.

GMScud 05-15-2008 12:30 PM

If this guy was the least involved and not even in the house at the time of the shooting and still ended up with 29 years, I'm confident the other d-bags will get life or close to life sentences. I'm no attorney, but I sure hope that's how it plays out.

Riggo44 05-15-2008 01:27 PM

S.T was only 24 when he died. He should have lived until he was at least 75. So they took at least 51 yr's away from an innocent man for no reason. I think the sentencing should start somewhere around 50 yr's to life.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 05-15-2008 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=Riggo44;448624]So they took at least 51 yr's away from an innocent man for no reason. I think the sentencing should start somewhere around 50 yr's to life.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of the nature of their involvement? 29 years is a long time to serve in prison for sitting in a car while friends tried to rob what they thought was an empty house.

And although I am not familiar with Florida law, I highly doubt this guy will serve less than 15-20 years of his sentence. Contrary to "conventional wisdom," convicts typically serve more than 5% of the prison sentences.

skinsfan69 05-15-2008 06:31 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;448594]So Hunte got 29 years. I know people want his head and rightly so, but I think that's a pretty stiff sentence. Remember, Hunte has cooperated with police, will cooperate with the prosecutors, he did not enter the house, supposedly didn't know his friend was carrying a gun, and thought he was burglarizing an empty home. 29 years is a long time to spend in prison for sitting in a car during a botched burglary of what he thought was an empty house. I wouldn't say it's too stiff, but it's not exactly a light sentence either.[/quote]

See, I don't think this is right. The guy didn't enter the home and he didn't shoot anyone. 29 years??? I'd be ok with him getting 5 years.

HOGTIMUS PRIME 05-16-2008 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;448568]Perhaps the bigger issue is the number of people on death row who end up being exonerated.[/QUOTE]

What are the numbers on that?

MTK 05-16-2008 07:15 AM

[quote=HOGTIMUS PRIME;448768]What are the numbers on that?[/quote]

[url=http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=412]Innocence and the Death Penalty[/url]