Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   People dumping in community? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23511)

hesscl34 05-13-2008 09:43 PM

People dumping in community?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]OK, so I live in a small community that is under construction at the moment having trim work on all units repaired, yet some people feel it's their right to dump whatever they wish into the construction dumpsters. Today I saw furniture, a whole living room set, sitting next to the dumpster... this is not allowed by the association, but people do it anyway! It looks like a land fill out there!! Is there anything I can do to stop it legally??[/FONT][/COLOR]

onlydarksets 05-13-2008 09:44 PM

Re: People dumping in community?

Catch them in the act and report them to the HOA. Short of that, probably not.

hesscl34 05-13-2008 09:47 PM

[quote=onlydarksets;448244]Catch them in the act and report them to the HOA. Short of that, probably not.[/quote]

Um, I'm HOA.. and have been trying to catch them, but what do I do with the damn furniture in the mean time... ??? Wish I could dust for prints.. !!!

onlydarksets 05-13-2008 09:50 PM

lol - I wouldn't touch a couch left at a dumpster for a million bucks. Not even with rubber gloves and a 10 foot brush.

Get a time-lapse camera. Of course, they are probably doing it at night, so you are SOL there. I had this happen to me when we did work on our house. Pissed me off to no end, but there was nothing I could do, because I couldn't be at the house 24/7.

hesscl34 05-13-2008 09:54 PM

[quote=onlydarksets;448249]lol - I wouldn't touch a couch left at a dumpster for a million bucks. Not even with rubber gloves and a 10 foot brush.

Get a time-lapse camera. Of course, they are probably doing it at night, so you are SOL there. I had this happen to me when we did work on our house. Pissed me off to no end, but there was nothing I could do, because I couldn't be at the house 24/7.[/quote]

We are talking about a clean, beautiful community that just happens to have a constuction dumpster out in front because of trim work being done, that now has a nasty a*s living room set sitting on the corner.. so angry!

FRPLG 05-13-2008 10:33 PM

If you have a real HOA then they can impose fines. Otherwise the contruction company will need to catch them and have them remove the trash or face paying for the dumpster by a judge's rule. Other than that I would simply put up some signs that kindly reminds residents that such activity is not allowed and anyone caught will face penalty.

dmek25 05-14-2008 06:01 AM

they are still building in my neighborhood. so those dumpsters are still here. i see people putting stuff in them all the time. to me, not a big deal. but to lay stuff outside of them, well.... are you sure its coming from the residents?

MTK 05-14-2008 08:43 AM

can the dumpsters be locked?

ArtMonkDrillz 05-14-2008 09:27 AM

My dad is a production manager for a large home builder in the area and I know he has trouble with this on almost every job site. If he's working in a neighborhood that has a lot of people already living it he practically needs to hire a guard to watch his dumpsters at night.
His other problem is that contractors will sometime steal stuff and hide it in the dumpsters so that they can come back for it later. You wouldn't believe the kind of stuff that gets stolen from construction sites: granite counter tops; custom staircases; sod; sinks; etc.

ArtMonkDrillz 05-14-2008 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=dmek25;448312]they are still building in my neighborhood. so those dumpsters are still here. i see people putting stuff in them all the time. to me, not a big deal. but to lay stuff outside of them, well.... are you sure its coming from the residents?[/QUOTE]It's a big deal because when people are putting their personal stuff in them along with the construction waste they fill up a lot quicker. If the waste company can't come to empty them more often you get a ton of trash overflowing, or piled up next to the dumpster like Hess said, and eventually ending up all over the neighborhood.

hesscl34 05-14-2008 12:22 PM

This is an entire living room set.. just sitting in the grass next to the dumpster. Too much furniture to lift into dumpster.. And I heard a person just pulled up his truck, unloaded it, and drove off.. GRRRRR!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 05-14-2008 01:51 PM

After reading the thread title, I thought you were talking about a bunch of hippies pooping in the woods together.

Hog1 05-14-2008 02:05 PM

Try this:

[url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp;jsessionid=UUZ1SQH1SW1C1LAQBBJSCN3MCAEFIIWE?id=cat20098&rid=0180101070502&cmCat=perf&cm_ven=performics&cm_cat=Google_NonBrand&cm_pla=Video_product_pf_gamecameras_lg&cm_ite=game%20camera&_requestid=41072]Cabela's -- Trail Cameras[/url]

hooskins 05-14-2008 02:33 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;448419]After reading the thread title, I thought you were talking about a bunch of hippies pooping in the woods together.[/quote]

I thought this was about low prices of imported goods, that are hurting local businesses.

70Chip 05-14-2008 02:39 PM

[quote=hesscl34;448243][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]OK, so I live in a small community that is under construction at the moment having trim work on all units repaired, yet some people feel it's their right to dump whatever they wish into the construction dumpsters. Today I saw furniture, a whole living room set, sitting next to the dumpster... this is not allowed by the association, but people do it anyway! It looks like a land fill out there!! Is there anything I can do to stop it legally??[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

It is against the law to dump your trash in a dumpster that does not belong to you. In Virginia this carries up to a $5000 fine and/or up to a 2 year jail sentence, I think. But, unless a cop rolls up on the person in the act, it's a hard one to enforce.

But on the bright side, at least they're not burning their old furniture in the front yard as is the practice in some areas of the country.