Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Owners Vote to Opt Out of Labor Agreement (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23546)

Defensewins 05-21-2008 01:09 PM

Re: Owners Vote to Opt Out of Labor Agreement

[QUOTE=rypper11;449317]But what happens to guys like Thomas and Jansen last year? You got hurt playing so no money? Or a guy that wants to remain with a coaching staff or city he likes but he'll only catch 90 passes there. Team B throws every down so he'll get 120 receptions but have no shot at playoffs and not be involved in the community because he is only there for a check.
I completely agree with a rookie cap where players are slotted and each get a 2 or 3 year deal to prove themselves. If you eliminate the outrageous rookie contracts, then most everyone else in the NFL will be paid based on what they've done.[/QUOTE]

He would still get his guaranteed base pay. However you can throw in injury clause that can pay him based on his previous years performance, but not qual to or more than he would get if he played the entire season. He is not going to get the wear and tear of playing the season so he should not get big money.
Plus you can add injury incentives, like extra money for attending all of his rehab training sessions and following all of his doctors recommendations to get healthy. Incentive money for helping coach and prepare his replacement. He can get extra money for attending all of the games, cheering on his fellow teammates;staying in town during the rest of the season and working out. You see where am I going?

T.O.Killa 05-21-2008 01:17 PM

I sure hope that the NFL nevers, becomes like baseball

SBXVII 05-21-2008 01:33 PM

[quote=T.O.Killa;449426]I sure hope that the NFL nevers, becomes like baseball[/quote]

Ok, why is baseball worse then the NFL? I kinda like the idea of the team still being able to sign all their players and even if they over the cap they only pay a fine. Instead of having a draft pick taken away.

MrJL 05-21-2008 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=Giantone;449314]I smell a sequel coming on,maybe this time they'll be allowed to film at FedEX instead of Ravens Stadium.:woot:[/QUOTE]

Snyder needs to get that Washington Arena team off the ground then he could have some ready.

rypper11 05-22-2008 05:17 PM

[quote=MrJL;449393]I think one of the things the league should do with a lower base pay, is that for rookies at least they should pay for an insurance policy for the player if he suffers a major injury.[/quote]

Great idea. That would have protected Bo Jackson but not given Ryan Leaf a bunch of money.

irish 05-23-2008 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;449294]In the end the owners always have the advantage. They're already rich. Eventually the players will have to cave in to the owners demands.[/QUOTE]

Not all the owners are cleaning up. A lot of the owners are raking in cash but their expenses (cost of buying a team they couldnt afford, their part of the stadium bond, etc.) are huge and their expenses are as much as they take in. Some teams like Pgh are not big revenue generators but their expenses are low. I think a lot of what we see NFL owners doing is smoke & mirrors.

Defensewins 05-23-2008 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=irish;449699]Not all the owners are cleaning up. A lot of the owners are raking in cash but their expenses (cost of buying a team they couldnt afford, their part of the stadium bond, etc.) are huge and their expenses are as much as they take in. Some teams like Pgh are not big revenue generators but their expenses are low. I think a lot of what we see NFL owners doing is smoke & mirrors.[/QUOTE]

I do not think you need to feel sorry for the NFL owners. Even if their team is in one of the few markets that is not making huge money, the value of the teams and property grows daily.
Here is an example of an NFL owner that did not have enough cash flow as you talk about:
Norman Braman in 1985 purchased the very talented Philadelphia Eagles football team for $65 million, borrowing most of the $65 million.
Braman kept the team for 9 years , he was cash poor so he invested very little money in the team, but managed to pay himself a salary of $6 million a year from team money.
In just nine short years later (1994) Braman sold the team to Jeffrey Lurie for $184 million. So Braman paid himself $54 million in salary those nine years, invested very little of his own money to upgrade the team and still managed to make an additional $119 million on the sale of the Eagles.

So now Jeffrey Lurie who bought the Eagles in 1994 for $184 million, can now sell the team for at least $883 million, which is what is currently worth/valued recently.

I do not think you need to feel sorry for the owners.

SBXVII 05-23-2008 04:54 PM

So the major problem is the owners most likely have their money tied into the team. No different then a home owner and his house. Then the owner has to pay taxes on the business and possibly property, ie: practice facilities. Insurance for the property and probably any injuries to players on his property. On top of paying all the salaries of non players who help run the team and provide benifits for them. Then you have to look at how much he's paying the players and then see what his actaul take in is.

This is actually what the players want to see...what % do the owners actually recieve after all their bills have been paid or is it tied up into property. If it's tied up then it sucks to be a player for that team. However if the owner is reaping what he has sowed then the players want to dip into his pocket more for a bigger piece of the pie.

It would be interesting to see an owner that allows players to purchase stock in the team and have an investment in the team for later yrs. The only thing that would kill the owner though would be if the players all wanted to sell their shares at once. With a good team an owner may be able to sell it to the public or another rich invester.

Monksdown 05-23-2008 05:00 PM

I like the homeownership analogy. And likewise, they can leverage the value of the franchise to diversify their portfolio, ie: six flags, red zebra. A homeowner could have refinanced and purchased a few rental townhouses.

Dan's been talking venture capitalists out of dough since he was 22. And on a hell of a lot less leverage then he's got to play with now.

Im sure there comes a point in your life, when you have the money to stop having to make mistakes to reach success. You can afford the best money minds available.

(Sorry for the inconsistent rambling, coffee in the afternoon makes me crazy)