Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   The Greatest NFL Team of All Time (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/23615-the-greatest-nfl-team-all-time.html)

Warren85Ellard 06-03-2008 09:34 AM

The Greatest NFL Team of All Time

Sirius Radio is asking listeners to vote for the greatest NFL team of All Time. It looks like you can vote for one player at each positiion. I have to call BS on it already though. First, Russ Grimm wasn't an option at guard, while Randy Cross, who happens to work for Sirius, was an option at both center and guard. I think Joe Jacoby was an option at tackle. No other Hogs have been included. Second, Roger Wherli got 40% of the votes at CB!!!!!! Mel Blount deserves to be there, but can someone who saw Roger Wherli play tell me if he deserves to be there over say.....Darrell Green? If you want to vote anyway, they're voting for Safeties. Ken Houston is an option and I'm going with him. Here is the link :[url=http://www.sirius.com/nflgreatest]SIRIUS Satellite Radio - The Greatest NFL Team of All Time on SIRIUS[/url]

KLHJ2 06-03-2008 10:27 AM

Re: The Greatest NFL Team of All Time

I voted for Ronnie Lott. That was one tough SOB.

I cannot get upset about the Skins not being voted in though. Sometimes we can be a bit bias about our greats. While the Hoggs were the best OL as a unit in NFL history it does not necessarily mean that they were the best individual players at those positions.

To put this into perspective this is only a Sirius poll be voted on by a bunch of ammateurs anyway. Mr. Green is already getting his due this summer. A 1st round ballot inductee beats a Sirius opinion poll any day of the week.

Mattyk 06-03-2008 10:36 AM

Looks like a pretty lame poll

Schneed10 06-03-2008 10:38 AM

Other than Darrell Green, I can't think of any Redskins who even really enter the discussion for best at their position of all-time.

Darrell Green enters the discussion at CB for sure, but I can't hate if he doesn't make top 2 of all time.

Baugh maybe enters the discussion at QB. But playing in a run-oriented era won't help him there, people will think of the Montana's before they'll think of Baugh.

Monkeydad 06-03-2008 12:15 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;451069]Looks like a pretty lame poll[/quote]

Yeah, I voted for Lott.

Then the results came up and DARREN WOODSON is winning in a landslide.

What a joke.

jdlea 06-03-2008 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=Buster;451096]Yeah, I voted for Lott.

Then the results came up and DARREN WOODSON is winning in a landslide.

What a joke.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. Darren isn't even in that conversation if you ask me...

Mattyk 06-03-2008 12:20 PM

And what the hell is Polamalu doing on there?

C'mon

SC Skins Fan 06-03-2008 12:31 PM

I enjoy Sirius NFL Radio, but these polls are 100% bogus. Look no further than the fact that Darren Woodson is currently dominating all challengers for "Greatest Saftey of All-Time". Woodson is the will be the 'greatest saftey' for the same reason that the Cowboys had 13 Pro Bowlers last year. Simply put, the world has too many Cowboy fans. Any Cowboy fan lacking some direct connection to the Dallas-Fortworth area by blood or geography should be purged from the Earth in my very humble opinion.

SFREDSKIN 06-03-2008 12:32 PM

How can Randy Moss be there and not Art Monk? If Monk played for a passing team like the 49ers of the 80's, Jerry Rice would still be playing trying to break Art's records. I hate this best team of all time, very few of us has been around long enough to have seen different players from different eras. Unfortunately statistics are what they base as being great. I can guarantee that there players from the old days that make new age players look like wimps. They should a best players of certain eras poll.

SC Skins Fan 06-03-2008 12:41 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;451102]How can Randy Moss be there and not Art Monk? If Monk played for a passing team like the 49ers of the 80's, Jerry Rice would still be playing trying to break Art's records. I hate this best team of all time, very few of us has been around long enough to have seen different players from different eras. Unfortunately statistics are what they base as being great. I can guarantee that there players from the old days that make new age players look like wimps. They should a best players of certain eras poll.[/quote]

Monk's now in the Hall, so I think we can put away the Monk hyperbole now. No need to compare him to Jerry Rice or say he was the greatest receiver of all-time. He's a HOFer, but not the greatest to ever play the game. He's probably not even the greatest receiver to ever play for the Redskins, he'd probably rank second to Charley Taylor.

Slingin Sammy 33 06-03-2008 01:52 PM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;451106]Monk's now in the Hall, so I think we can put away the Monk hyperbole now. No need to compare him to Jerry Rice or say he was the greatest receiver of all-time. He's a HOFer, but not the greatest to ever play the game. He's probably not even the greatest receiver to ever play for the Redskins, he'd probably rank second to Charley Taylor.[/quote]
Monk is fantastic and I'm going to Canton in Aug to see the induction, but he might be third behind Taylor and Bobby Mitchell.

Monkeydad 06-03-2008 02:05 PM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;451106]Monk's now in the Hall, so I think we can put away the Monk hyperbole now. No need to compare him to Jerry Rice or say he was the greatest receiver of all-time. He's a HOFer, but not the greatest to ever play the game. He's probably not even the greatest receiver to ever play for the Redskins, he'd probably rank second to Charley Taylor.[/quote]

But he has had a better career than Randy Moss. That's the argument.

SFREDSKIN 06-03-2008 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=RIGGO/NYC;451153]Monk is one of my all time favorites and I hate R. Moss, but he has the all-time single season TD mark, the rookie record for yards, and he is arguably the most feared WR by D coordinators in the history of the NFL. Most D-coordinators from Monks era concede that they feared G. Clark more than Monk. Moss also has more yards than Monk in his carreer (I think). Point is Monk should not be considered for best WR of all time if I am going to be objective, which people voting on that poll are not being, hence Darren Woodson over Ronie Lott. Bullshit Poll! F*** the Cowgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I think if you were to ask Ronnie Lott who he feared most Art Monk or Randy Moss (I don't remember if he played when Lott was around) his answer would be Monk. Monk always did well against the Niners whom a lot of people call the best team ever (that's for debate, 70's Steelers hands down own that recognition).

Slingin Sammy 33 06-03-2008 03:42 PM

This list from SIRIUS has some "serious" (bad pun, sorry) flaws:

1) Reggie White is a DE, not DT and IMO the best of all time with Deacon Jones second. How can the DE list not include Carl Eller or Harvey Martin, who was better than "Too Tall" Jones. Lee Roy Selmon was also not considered.

2) Where's Merlin Olsen on the DT list. You normally don't leave 14-time Pro Bowlers off an All-Time Greats list.

3) How can neither Mike Haynes or Lester Hayes, probably the best CB tandem of all time, not be on the CB list. I don't recall Wehrli, his stats are good, but I'm not sure how he won this. Darrell Green, Deion and Haynes would all get my vote before Wehrli. Blount is not a bad selection. Champ Bailey should've also been considered, more INTs than Wehrli and more Pro Bowls.

4) Hard to argue with Munoz, but Dierdorf and Pace should've been dropped in favor of Jacoby, Gary Zimmerman and Forrest Gregg. I would've voted Munoz & Zimmerman.

5) Cross sucks and shouldn't be on the list at Guard. I can't stand him and he sucks as a talking-head too. Cross and Allen should've been dumped for Grimm and Fralic from Atlanta. Hannah and Upshaw would've been my choices.

6) At Center, Webster was pretty darn good. And as much as I can't stand Cross, he does at least deserve to be on the list here.

7) At TE they could've at least spelled Gonzalez' name right. They should've dropped Bavaro and added Dave Casper. Winslow, Casper, Newsome and Gonzalez are all better than Sharpe. Tough call on the best between those four though.

8) Rice is hard to argue against as much as I can't stand him. Moss has put up consistent +1000 yd seasons and lead the NFL in receiving TDs 4 times (I believe). Aside from his down years in OAK he is hard to argue against. I would've dropped Maynard and added Charley Taylor to the list, Paul Warfield and Raymond Berry should've also been considered.

As usual these polls are a popularity contest with Cowgirls fans coming out of the wood-work to vote on these things. I agree with SC Skins Fan, any Cowgirl fan with no real ties to Dallas or TX should be sent back into the closets they all hide in when the "Girls" are having a bad season.