Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Did Don Imus Go Too Far (Again) With His Latest Comments? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23752)

firstdown 06-24-2008 04:20 PM

re: Did Don Imus Go Too Far (Again) With His Latest Comments?

To be honest the title to this thread goes way beyond what he said and in really placing his name beside the KKK. Now that could be considered slander. When you guys start raising 40 mil to help cancer kids of all races then start casting stones.

SmootSmack 06-24-2008 04:27 PM

re: Did Don Imus Go Too Far (Again) With His Latest Comments?

I agree on the title. At first pass, it's humourous. Upon further inspection, it maybe a bit extreme. I'll change it

As to your second point, that's ridiculous. Just because he has the means to, and spends the money, for a camp for kids does not give him any sort of carte blanche to behave irresponsibly and does not/should not prevent us from objecting to his behavior.

firstdown 06-24-2008 04:50 PM

Re: Did Don Imus Go Too Far (Again) With His Latest Comments?

[quote=SmootSmack;454024]I agree on the title. At first pass, it's humourous. Upon further inspection, it maybe a bit extreme. I'll change it

As to your second point, that's ridiculous. Just because he has the means to, and spends the money, for a camp for kids does not give him any sort of carte blanche to behave irresponsibly and does not/should not prevent us from objecting to his behavior.[/quote]
I get what you saying I'm not the best at putting thoughts down into words. My point was this man works very hard at raising money and has a whole line of products that 100 % goes back to his charity which is for all children of all races. He has a radio which he attacks all races. What he said about the basket ball team was out of line and I just don't think he was attacking them as much as trying to get a laugh. The pacman thing I just don't know but I feel the good he does for children of all races should be looked at when trying to determine what one thinks of him.

SmootSmack 06-24-2008 04:59 PM

Sure, he uses his fame and platform to raise money and awareness for the Imus Ranch. And that's commendable, but again it's does not excuse other behavior and should not encourage it either. I'm not saying this is what you're doing.

FRPLG 06-24-2008 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;454023]To be honest the title to this thread goes way beyond what he said and in really placing his name beside the KKK. Now that could be considered slander. When you guys start raising 40 mil to help cancer kids of all races then start casting stones.[/QUOTE]

The world is not a zero-sum proposition. You do not get to be a jerk/racist/whatever and offset it by doing a bunch of other good deeds. You are defined by your worst acts much of the time. He's a douche who I have now wasted 30 seconds of my life on. Shame on me.

MTK 06-24-2008 05:27 PM

[quote=FRPLG;454028]The world is not a zero-sum proposition. You do not get to be a jerk/racist/whatever and offset it by doing a bunch of other good deeds. You are defined by your worst acts much of the time. He's a douche who I have now wasted 30 seconds of my life on. Shame on me.[/quote]

Well stated

jsarno 06-24-2008 06:41 PM

I have tried to defend him in the past thinking he was just misunderstood trying to get ratings, but even I don't beleive his comments on this one. I wasn't even paying attention to the TV, and they quoted him...I looked up and said, "did he seriously just say that???" Sure he tried to twist it, but it's like the old addage says, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
I know that there are plenty of people out there that are worse than him, and he does some great work with his ranch, but someone needs to tell him to stop commenting AT ALL on black people. I don't care if someone is moer guilty than OJ, just stay away! Otherwise he's going to be collecting Social Security with no job.

djnemo65 06-24-2008 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=Buster;453945]He only says these things because the real racists in the country (Sharpton and company) get all riled up and give him publicity.

I'm not excusing his words (even though Pacman is a piece of trash himself) but the reactions to his comments are what's causing all of the controversies. Put the bullhorns and sidewalk signs away, Al...and you'll see a lot less racial tension in this nation.

Stop listening to Imus, ignore his idiotic comments and his career will go away.

[B]Now where are the protests when Howard Stern degrades women constantly? OH yeah, we only get angry when minority races are involved[/B][/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah Buster, sexism hasn't been an issue at all in the media recently.

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/06/24/politics/horserace/entry4205863.shtml]Pelosi Sees Sexism In Clinton's Treatment - Horserace[/url]

[url=http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880619123]Sexism still alive and well in our politics | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times[/url]

[url=http://themoderatevoice.com/politics/bill-clinton/20571/reasons-why-clinton-voters-still-wont-support-obama/]Reasons Why Clinton Voters Still Won't Support Obama[/url]

[url=http://www.usnews.com/blogs/erbe/2008/6/9/obama-and-the-democrats-owe-hillary-clinton-and-her-supporters-a-formal-apology-for-the-campaigns-sexism.html]Obama and the Democrats Owe Hillary Clinton and Her Supporters a Formal Apology for the Campaign's Sexism - To the Contrary (usnews.com)[/url]

Hog1 06-25-2008 10:50 AM

[quote=firstdown;453946]My point was people are attacking him like he is the lowest form of life and I thought people should know what he does off the air for children of all races.[/quote]
[B]FYI[/B]
I do not know what became of them, but a few years ago, there was some question as to how the Charity was spending it's money, as it appeared a signifigant amount was being spent on non-charity related things.

SmootSmack 06-25-2008 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Hog1;454103][B]FYI[/B]
I do not know what became of them, but a few years ago, there was some question as to how the Charity was spending it's money, as it appeared a signifigant amount was being spent on non-charity related things.[/QUOTE]

I think those allegations ended up going nowhere, if I remember correctly and the "charges" were dropped.

jsarno 06-25-2008 11:36 AM

How about that tripe that Pacman Jones said...he "will pray for him" (referring to Imus). HAHAHA.
Maybe if he prayed a little more he wouldn't be in the situation he is in.

djnemo, buster is 100% right. The problem with your rebuttle is that you have all political links. We ALL know that sneezing on the stand during a political debate could cause a stir. Nixon sweating on the stand during a debate lost him an election. Dukakis wearing a helmet and posing out of a tank helped lose him an election. You have to be perfect in politics. There are too many people trying to tear you down. Politics is it's own game...so to compare radio to politics is like apples and oranges. (unless of course there was a political debate on radio!) ;)

Monkeydad 06-25-2008 12:11 PM

Pacman putting in a prayer request for Imus was hilarious.

This whole incident is a joke and should be a non-issue. The ONLY reason we are hearing about it is because the media wants it to be an issue. It will be passed off as legitimate "news" as long as they want it to be.

For most of us with a little common sense, this really isn't and shouldn't be considered important news.

onlydarksets 06-25-2008 12:20 PM

[quote=Buster;454142]Pacman putting in a prayer request for Imus was hilarious.

This whole incident is a joke and should be a non-issue. The ONLY reason we are hearing about it is because the media wants it to be an issue. It will be passed off as legitimate "news" as long as they want it to be.

[B]For most of us with a little common sense, this really isn't and shouldn't be considered important news.[/B][/quote]
I agree - he should be fired and done with. No need to discuss it further.

Monkeydad 06-25-2008 12:23 PM

Oh and with your slew of political links...Clinton's "sexism" is also largely media-generated with a side of dirty politics.

I couldn't vote for her because of her record and corruption. What parts are in her pants-suit don't matter to me and I'll bet it doesn't to the FAR majority of voters. There are plenty of women I could cast a vote for, but she's not one of them.

Same goes with Obama. I can vote for a black man, just not THAT black man. When I listen to him, I don't hear a person of color, I hear someone I don't agree with. But yeah, I'm a racist, sexist, bigotted homophobe because I oppose him and others in his party! I'm also a bitter Pennsylvanian who clings to my guns and Bible. :D

I do not believe that racism or sexism are still large problems in this nation. They would be pretty much non-existent if the media and politicians wouldn't manufacture these controversies for their own gain. Also, if we would finally shut up those who claim they're fighting racism like Jackson, Sharpton, the NAACP, the ACLU, plus stopped using laws that require us to examine and discriminate based on race (affirmative action, NFL coaching interviews, etc.), we'd find that most people are looked at for their own merits and actions, not by the color of their skin. Constantly emphasizing race, even if intentions are good, not only prolongs and puts racism on life support, but it creates more tension. If we'd stop doing things that put the issue in our minds, I bet the far majority of us would live our lives day-to-day looking at people without even thinking about their skin color. Unity parades and diversity events do not unify, they point out our differences and "celebrate" why our cultures are not the same. Rather than maintaining our own African, Hispanic, whatever cultures, we should all realize we're Americans together and that in itself is its own culture. Sure, it's OK to be proud of where your family came from, but why continue to use it to separate yourself from the rest of society? Instead of preaching diversity and creating racial and cultural divides, we should just live together.

jsarno 06-25-2008 12:24 PM

here is an interesting article on this:
[url=http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10877090]ClayNation: It's difficult to stomach Pacman being upset - SPiN - CBSSports.com The Lighter Side of Sports[/url]