Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   With Gibbs out of the picture who is now the face of the Redskins' franchise? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23755)

jsarno 06-25-2008 12:03 PM

re: With Gibbs out of the picture who is now the face of the Redskins' franchise?

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;454106]Taylor was a pretty well known player, I really doubt that his name has already been forgotten by the common fan. :doh:[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI, there have been a few customers that came into my store to buy some jerseys (dallas / arizona and Pittsburgh jerseys to be exact) and when they knew I was a Skins fan they asked, "hey wasn't that guy that was killed on the skins?" I said yeah, but not a one said his name.
I think a lot of Redskins fans underestimate the fact that Redskins fans are often NFL fans and know a lot of the players. Other teams fans seem to be more focused on their own team and often could care less what other teams do.
In short, NFL fans likely know who Taylor was since he was a pro bowler, but the average fan very likely doesn't remember him cause they didn't follow football very well. Especially considering he was a defensive player, and the common fans know the main offensive players (QB, RB, WR).
Keep in mind, most of you live in a football town. The majority of the country does not.

jsarno 06-25-2008 12:08 PM

re: With Gibbs out of the picture who is now the face of the Redskins' franchise?

[QUOTE=Skinny Tee;454062]Another reason why it's probably Danny is the amount of turnover that we have in our coaching ranks, players and otherwise. It pretty much makes him the only constant as far as the franchise goes.[/QUOTE]

Very true, and look at how the media reacted to Snyder's think first approach to the offseason! I have heard many times how the free agent market is usually where Dan Snyder likes to play, but he chose not to this year. They expect Snyder to make moves.
You can always see the face of the organization when the season is not going on.

MTK 06-25-2008 01:11 PM

[quote=jsarno;454136]Just an FYI, there have been a few customers that came into my store to buy some jerseys (dallas / arizona and Pittsburgh jerseys to be exact) and when they knew I was a Skins fan they asked, "hey wasn't that guy that was killed on the skins?" I said yeah, but not a one said his name.
I think a lot of Redskins fans underestimate the fact that Redskins fans are often NFL fans and know a lot of the players. Other teams fans seem to be more focused on their own team and often could care less what other teams do.
In short, NFL fans likely know who Taylor was since he was a pro bowler, but the average fan very likely doesn't remember him cause they didn't follow football very well. Especially considering he was a defensive player, and the common fans know the main offensive players (QB, RB, WR).
Keep in mind, most of you live in a football town. The majority of the country does not.[/quote]

I guess we need to define what an average fan is. If we're talking about the casual fan type who might watch a game here and there, then yeah he/she might not know Taylor by name. If we're talking about a passionate NFL fan regardless of team I find it hard to believe they wouldn't know him by name.

GMScud 06-25-2008 01:11 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;454090]I think an argument can be made that the face of the franchise, particularly to the lay fan, is Sean Taylor.[/quote]

I was definitely thinking the same thing, but I'm gonna label him as the guardian angel of the franchise. So many little things happened on the field after he passed away- random gusts of wind, winning by 21 in our last game against Dallas, and our winning streak just to make the playoffs to name a few- that convinced me he's watching over the team.

irish 06-25-2008 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;454136]Just an FYI, there have been a few customers that came into my store to buy some jerseys (dallas / arizona and Pittsburgh jerseys to be exact) and when they knew I was a Skins fan they asked, "hey wasn't that guy that was killed on the skins?" I said yeah, but not a one said his name.
Keep in mind, most of you live in a football town. The majority of the country does not.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I'm saying. I'm sure if you said Sean Taylor to the average fan they might say thats the guy who was murdered or his name rings a bell, but if you asked them to name the player who was murdered last season I doubt they could come up with his name.

irish 06-25-2008 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;454158]I guess we need to define what an average fan is. If we're talking about the casual fan type who might watch a game here and there, then yeah he/she might not know Taylor by name. If we're talking about a passionate NFL fan regardless of team I find it hard to believe they wouldn't know him by name.[/QUOTE]

A passionate nfl fan is not average.

MTK 06-25-2008 01:17 PM

[quote=irish;454162]A passionate nfl fan is not average.[/quote]

So do you think the majority of NFL fans are just the casual type who don't follow it all that closely?

If so I'd really have to disagree with that. I think most NFL fans are pretty passionate and the casual types are more in the minority.

irish 06-25-2008 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;454163]So do you think the majority of NFL fans are just the casual type who don't follow it all that closely?

If so I'd really have to disagree with that. I think most NFL fans are pretty passionate and the casual types are more in the minority.[/QUOTE]

IMO, passionate fans buy lots of gear, and never miss a game no matter what.

IMO, the fan buys gear once in awhile and watches most of the games but if something better comes up will go and do it.

IMO, the casual fan almost never buys gear and watches games if the game is getting buzz but otherwise doesnt really watch.

By those definitions I believe the fan is in the majority, the casual fan is next. I think passionate fans get most of the photos and coverage but in the big picture are in the minority.

MTK 06-25-2008 01:54 PM

[quote=irish;454164]IMO, passionate fans buy lots of gear, and never miss a game no matter what.

IMO, the fan buys gear once in awhile and watches most of the games but if something better comes up will go and do it.

IMO, the casual fan almost never buys gear and watches games if the game is getting buzz but otherwise doesnt really watch.

By those definitions I believe the fan is in the majority, the casual fan is next. I think passionate fans get most of the photos and coverage but in the big picture are in the minority.[/quote]

Well, since there's no way that I can think of to substantiate any of that I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think most football fans probably know who Taylor was and probably more so since his death.

SmootSmack 06-25-2008 02:07 PM

What are we asking when we say "face of the franchise" Is it the person who we want to represent the team, is it who the most well known person is? There is a difference. On the one hand, a fan (average or not) might associate Chad Johnson with the Bengals, but the Bengals themselves and their fans might say "No, Carson Palmer is the face of this franchise. He represents who we truly are"

jsarno 06-25-2008 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;454158]I guess we need to define what an average fan is. If we're talking about the casual fan type who might watch a game here and there, then yeah he/she might not know Taylor by name. If we're talking about a passionate NFL fan regardless of team I find it hard to believe they wouldn't know him by name.[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting debate.

I think you have to remember you have lived in passionate areas. The DC area is full of passionate fans, as well as the NY area etc.
When you get further out (I have lived in Mass. who has passionate knowledgable fans, Arkansas who has a passionate fan base for Dallas, and of course their razorbacks, but nothing else, New Mexico, who also has a passionate Dallas fan base, but knows nothing else, and Fort Myers, Florida who has a casual affair with the NFL. Most are Tampa fans, but not thorough NFL fans.) I've travelled all across this land (all but 8 states), and I would wager that the majority of fans are casual, not passionate. But it really comes down to opinion.
I have had several conversations with people over the years about teams around the league, and if you talk to them about their team, it's a passionate two sided conversation, but if you speak with them about teams that aren't even in their division, and in particular players outside the division, you get a lot of blank stares.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the SKins have the best fan base in the NFL bar none. We are the most knowledgable fans out there. As such, we are spoiled on this site with constant knowledge. To us, football is a way of life, it's a part of our DNA, to other teams fans, it's something to do on a sunday afternoon.
I like your enthusiasm matty, but I respectfully agree to disagree.

GusFrerotte 06-26-2008 12:09 AM

IF you are going to talk about the face of the franchise you have to think longevity. It is quite realistic in the modern NFL era that any or all of the players in the voting pool won't be Skins in say 4-5 seasons. CP won't last forever, JC will either shine brightly or possibly crash and burn, Cooley will be OK, but a TE is never the face of a team. Zorn hasn't coached his first game yet, so he is out. This leaves Snyder who is going to be around no matter how well or how badly the Skins do in the next several seasons. ANd with such the winfall of $$$$$$$$$ he is getting from the franchise, don't expect him to sell the team anytime soon. In 2015 Snyder will still be around while the rest of the guys will be retired, fired, or on another team.

GTripp0012 06-26-2008 12:12 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;454172]What are we asking when we say "face of the franchise" Is it the person who we want to represent the team, is it who the most well known person is? There is a difference. On the one hand, a fan (average or not) might associate Chad Johnson with the Bengals, but the Bengals themselves and their fans might say "No, Carson Palmer is the face of this franchise. He represents who we truly are"[/quote]Since Face of the Franchise is about perception, I think it has to be about the perception of the majority.

I may think Chris Cooley is the coolest cat in the NFL, but I think Portis is more identifiable with the Redskins than anyone else in the organization. I tend to get the feel that when you mention "Redskins" in the midwest, he's the first guy that comes to mind for the majority of fans.

Snyder's name is probably even more recognizable than Portis', but if we're literally talking about faces here (which is debatable), it's got to be Portis.

Cowell 06-26-2008 12:40 AM

I had to go w/ Dan Snyder.

These days the Redskins are seen as a team that has some of the best talent in the NFL that can never put it to any use. Whenever I talk to fans from around the league they always have something to say about Dan Snyder (usually not something good). As much as I hate to say this, Dan Snyder is the face of this franchise now that Gibbs is gone.

Smooter 06-26-2008 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=GusFrerotte;454238]but a TE is never the face of a team.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny I always looked at Tony Gonzalez as the face of the Chiefs.