Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Malcolm Kelly's Trip to Liberia (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23756)

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 06-24-2008 10:44 AM

Malcolm Kelly's Trip to Liberia

Not sure if you guys saw this yet, but rookie WR Malcolm Kelly is heading to Liberia July 3-10 to volunteer in support of the program "Mercy Ships" which provides free medical care to 3rd world countries.

I see this as a big deal, because it shows that maybe, just maybe, all of the "me first" attitude that applies to most NFL athletes may not apply to Kelly despite the rep he earned pre-draft. He's a phenomenal athlete, and if can mature and develop high character and leadership, we may have found a good one here.

I was one of the minority that thought taking Kelly at #21 in the first round would not have been a huge stretch, and was estatic that he was still around in the second. I really hope that his efforts with this program are sincere and that he can show everyone that he's a stand-up guy. Regardless of his intentions, I would think that a week in Liberia on a Mercy Ship has got to be a life-changing event.

[url=http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=36403]Man On a Mission[/url]

MTK 06-24-2008 10:47 AM

Re: Malcolm Kelly's Trip to Liberia

I think he made a big mistake with his pre-draft grumblings about his 40 time, and I think he realizes that now. I'm willing to give him a pass for that and chalk it up to being young. He definitely has the skills to be a big time player.

Paintrain 06-24-2008 11:18 AM

If anyone in this draft, he was a victim of the 24/7 news cycle and the paralysis by analysis that has become the NFL draft. He was ultra productive in college, played at a big time school and was projected as high as top 15 before his on campus workout. He's got Anquan Boldin (same type of scenario coming out of FSU) written all over him.

That Guy 06-24-2008 12:57 PM

besides the 40 time grumbling, he's had a great history of being a good character guy, and i don't think the gripes hurt him much compared to the 40 time itself.

i really don't think there was 1st round talent at receiver this year, but we got the 3 best prospects as far as possibly great long term careers, so hopefully 1 or two pan out (at least). either way, i'm glad he's taking the time to get involved with something other than dom and night clubs. definitely the right thing to do.

ArtMonkDrillz 06-24-2008 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;453949]I think he made a big mistake with his pre-draft grumblings about his 40 time, and I think he realizes that now. I'm willing to give him a pass for that and chalk it up to being young. He definitely has the skills to be a big time player.[/QUOTE]I'm kind of glad he made the mistake of yapping about the 40 time because it allowed us to grab him when we did.
I hope he keeps this sort of off the field activity up throughout his career.

freddyg12 06-24-2008 01:28 PM

Sadly, you never know how much of this type of work is selfless or self promoting. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, cause either way he's getting involved before training camp has even started. How many guys do that? I can't remember ever hearing about a rookie doing charity work before he's even signed a deal.

Kelly seems like a pretty bright guy. For some reason, I think he might be more of a contributor than Thomas. No real reason, just a feeling.

ArtMonkDrillz 06-24-2008 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;453982]Kelly seems like a pretty bright guy. For some reason, I think he might be more of a contributor than Thomas. No real reason, just a feeling.[/QUOTE]I feel the same way, for the same non-existant reason.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-24-2008 01:36 PM

Thats actually cool, Both my parents are from Liberia. In fact my Moms dad was president there for 9 years between 1971-1980 [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tolbert]William R. Tolbert, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

I know what that country has been through so I really think that is cool

JWsleep 06-24-2008 01:39 PM

It's a great thing to do, regardless of the draft "issues" (which I agree were pretty minimal). There's no substitute for actually seeing the hardships that folks suffer in places like Liberia, especially for a young man about to sign a multi-million dollar contract.

Hope he does well!

Paintrain 06-24-2008 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;453982][b]Sadly, you never know how much of this type of work is selfless or self promoting.[/b] I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, cause either way he's getting involved before training camp has even started. How many guys do that? I can't remember ever hearing about a rookie doing charity work before he's even signed a deal.

Kelly seems like a pretty bright guy. For some reason, I think he might be more of a contributor than Thomas. No real reason, just a feeling.[/QUOTE]
Gee, cynical much?

MTK 06-24-2008 02:24 PM

[quote=Paintrain;453993]Gee, cynical much?[/quote]

ya think? ;)

If he was interested in self promotion there are far easier ways to go about it.

He really sounds like someone just looking for the spotlight here:

"We take for granted too much over here [in the United States]," Kelly said. "We take for granted that we can wake up, go to a fountain and get clean water. There are people in other countries drinking dirty water and that's what everyday life is for them. So I just want to go over [to Liberia] and be a part of helping out."

"As I have come to know the history and spirit of the Liberian people through Mercy Ships, I feel a real connection to the country," Kelly said. "I admire the way they are rebuilding for the future and I want to do everything I can to help them restore their country."

Riggo44 06-24-2008 02:25 PM

It's always good to hear about one of our young players getting there priorities straight this early in there carriers. I think we really might have stolen this kid with a 2nd round pick.

Hey Earthquake your name wouldn’t happen to be Akeem would it? :D

freddyg12 06-24-2008 02:46 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;453997]ya think? ;)

If he was interested in self promotion there are far easier ways to go about it.

He really sounds like someone just looking for the spotlight here:

"We take for granted too much over here [in the United States]," Kelly said. "We take for granted that we can wake up, go to a fountain and get clean water. There are people in other countries drinking dirty water and that's what everyday life is for them. So I just want to go over [to Liberia] and be a part of helping out."

"As I have come to know the history and spirit of the Liberian people through Mercy Ships, I feel a real connection to the country," Kelly said. "I admire the way they are rebuilding for the future and I want to do everything I can to help them restore their country."[/quote]

Read all of my post & you'll see that I was giving him credit for taking the trip before signing his deal. Maybe I should've more obviously praised him, but I did say I'd never heard of a rookie doing that, which he deserves a lot of credit for.

Also, see this part of the article:

"He named Mercy Ships his charity of choice after he declared for the NFL Draft last January."

Charity work I believe is a mandatory aspect of nfl employment. There may be some self-promoting in that he & his agent are starting early in forming a good public image for him that will lead to endorsements, maybe something beyond football. They may be working on his image after his public comments about the 40 at OU.

It's ok to self-promote & do good charitable work at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. So long as he is sincere in his work & does a good job & isn't one of those people (celebrity or not, they're everywhere) that just show up for a little while & then claim it's success later. I don't get the impression that he's doing that, cause like you said he could choose any number of easier ways to get publicity. But also remember that the publicity doesn't hurt.

How did it get on redskins.com anyway?

ArtMonkDrillz 06-24-2008 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=Riggo44;453998] Hey Earthquake your name wouldn’t happen to be Akeem would it? :D[/QUOTE]"This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-24-2008 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=Riggo44;453998]It's always good to hear about one of our young players getting there priorities straight this early in there carriers. I think we really might have stolen this kid with a 2nd round pick.

Hey Earthquake your name wouldn’t happen to be Akeem would it? :D[/QUOTE]

Nope LOL my name is Julius Jones

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-24-2008 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=ArtMonkDrillz;454008]"This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"[/QUOTE]

"Hey it's Kunta Kentae"

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 06-24-2008 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;454003]Read all of my post & you'll see that I was giving him credit for taking the trip before signing his deal. Maybe I should've more obviously praised him, but I did say I'd never heard of a rookie doing that, which he deserves a lot of credit for.
[/QUOTE]

I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately the selfish actions of most (but not all) NFL players make us skeptical and cynical.

Regardless, I think a week in Liberia on a medical ship will be a growing experience for anyone, depite what the intentions are.

And I, too, feel that he's going to be the steal of the draft when we look back 5 years from now.

That Guy 06-24-2008 06:50 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;454019]Nope LOL my name is Julius Jones[/quote]

you're fired.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-24-2008 09:46 PM

[quote=That Guy;454039]you're fired.[/quote]

Ouch oh come on I didnt name myself

GMScud 06-25-2008 12:18 AM

[quote=freddyg12;454003]Read all of my post & you'll see that I was giving him credit for taking the trip before signing his deal. Maybe I should've more obviously praised him, but I did say I'd never heard of a rookie doing that, which he deserves a lot of credit for.

Also, see this part of the article:
[B]
"He named Mercy Ships his charity of choice after he declared for the NFL Draft last January."

Charity work I believe is a mandatory aspect of nfl employment. [/B] There may be some self-promoting in that he & his agent are starting early in forming a good public image for him that will lead to endorsements, maybe something beyond football. They may be working on his image after his public comments about the 40 at OU.

It's ok to self-promote & do good charitable work at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. So long as he is sincere in his work & does a good job & isn't one of those people (celebrity or not, they're everywhere) that just show up for a little while & then claim it's success later. I don't get the impression that he's doing that, cause like you said he could choose any number of easier ways to get publicity. But also remember that the publicity doesn't hurt.

How did it get on redskins.com anyway?[/quote]

Charity may be mandatory, but if he didn't genuinely care he would have picked an easy local charity, or at least something in the continental United States. Spending a week in a 3rd world country on another continent isn't exactly a walk in the park, as many of the "charity" work athletes do.

I understand your cynicism on the subject, but I'm buying this one as genuine.

Rajmahal33 06-25-2008 09:03 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;454050]Ouch oh come on I didnt name myself[/quote]

"A man has the right to change his name to whatever he wants to change it to. And if a man wants to be called Muhammad Ali, Godammit this is a free country, you should respect his wishes, and call the man Muhammad Ali!

His momma call him Clay, imma call him Clay."

That Guy 06-25-2008 09:03 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;454050]Ouch oh come on I didnt name myself[/quote]

hmm... then your parents are fired too.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-25-2008 09:17 AM

[quote=That Guy;454077]hmm... then your parents are fired too.[/quote]

DO I get severence pay?

That Guy 06-25-2008 10:09 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;454082]DO I get severence pay?[/quote]

with a name like julius jones? are you kidding me?

freddyg12 06-25-2008 10:28 AM

[quote=GMScud;454066]Charity may be mandatory, but if he didn't genuinely care he would have picked an easy local charity, or at least something in the continental United States. Spending a week in a 3rd world country on another continent isn't exactly a walk in the park, as many of the "charity" work athletes do.

I understand your cynicism on the subject, but I'm buying this one as genuine.[/quote]

Good points, and btw, I am somewhat of an afrofile & follow the news on several african countries from time to time. Liberia is quite a choice for charity work & shows that he has an adventurous, curious side as well. Liberia is the country that recieved some 'repatriated' freed slaves from the US after the emanicpation proclamation, only to have those former slaves enslave indiginous people in Liberia. Another reason it will be an educational trip for him.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things to applaud about him doing this & a no. of reasons this speaks positively of him. I would prefer to label my comments as "cautious cynicism" rather than just flat out cynicism. And most of my post was intended to praise him while at the same time pointing out that there is a pr aspect to this as well.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-25-2008 10:33 AM

[quote=That Guy;454093]with a name like julius jones? are you kidding me?[/quote]

I was set up! My parents never gave me a chance. Dont I get some kind of leinance for that?

That Guy 06-25-2008 01:48 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;454098]I was set up! My parents never gave me a chance. Dont I get some kind of leinance for that?[/quote]

only if your definition of lenience is a swift trip to the gallows.

then again, juius jones didn't kinda suck for the roids... but rules are rules. sorry.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-25-2008 02:34 PM

[quote=That Guy;454167]only if your definition of lenience is a swift trip to the gallows.

then again, julius jones didn't kinda suck for the roids... but rules are rules. sorry.[/quote]

I guess I am not getting out of this