Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Portis: Redskins will be among top five teams (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/23776-portis-redskins-will-among-top-five.html)

Mattyk 06-27-2008 11:33 AM

Portis: Redskins will be among top five teams

[url=http://mvn.com/nfl-redskins/2008/06/27/portis-redskins-will-be-among-top-five-teams/]Hog Heaven | MVN - A Washington Redskins blog Blog Archive Portis: Redskins will be among top five teams[/url]

What do you guys think? Bold prediction from CP... is he high or is he really convinced the Redskins can have a big season?

Daseal 06-27-2008 12:38 PM

Re: Portis: Redskins will be among top five teams

Top 5 teams in the NFC East maybe. I hope he's right, but I dont see playoffs with all the changes.

Schneed10 06-27-2008 12:38 PM

I love the confidence. New coaches tend to go through transition seasons in year one. It's not totally out of the question for a new coach to come in and blow the league away in year one (Sean Payton). But it's still rare. If you're playing the odds, I can't say I like our chances of being as elite as Portis says.

But I love the confidence. Hopefully the work ethic and appropriate level of respect for the competition is there to go with that confidence.

Schneed10 06-27-2008 12:38 PM

[quote=Daseal;454394][B]Top 5 teams in the NFC East maybe[/B]. I hope he's right, but I dont see playoffs with all the changes.[/quote]

LOL, that should be pretty doable.

GridIron26 06-27-2008 12:47 PM

Wow, that's pretty unexpected, but this is a good sign (IMO).. However, CP wasn't only one who said (either this yr or the yr before or before that) that his team would be great for upcoming season.. Kitna, Chad Johnson, and whoever else..

saden1 06-27-2008 01:08 PM

Don't tell me, show me! I want to see it and I would consider giving up my first born to see it.

Hog1 06-27-2008 01:38 PM

The same was said of Galileo in his time.
CP IS A PROPHET!!!!!!!!!

Swarley 06-27-2008 03:29 PM

[quote=Schneed10;454396]LOL, that should be pretty doable.[/quote]

We should make history by being the first 5th best team in a 4 team division lol

mooby 06-27-2008 04:03 PM

I think that was Portis just trying to give NFLN something juicy to talk about. I feel we'll be closer to 8-8 than top 5 team this year.

GMScud 06-27-2008 04:16 PM

[quote=mooby;454429]I think that was Portis just trying to give NFLN something juicy to talk about. I feel we'll be closer to 8-8 than top 5 team this year.[/quote]

It really all depends on how we start. If we can manage 3-2 or even 2-3 in our first five games, I could see us winning 10. It's all about how we start this year, and that's tough with a new HC. If we can manage a week 1 win in Giants' stadium (and given the miserable offseason the G-men had, it's a possibility), that could serve as a huge tone-setter.

Monkeydad 06-27-2008 04:54 PM

[quote=GreekSkin;454426]We should make history by being the first 5th best team in a 4 team division lol[/quote]

You're forgetting about the Cardinals!

Geesh, Coach Gibbs and I are the only 2 people that remember they're in the NFC East.

Mattyk 06-27-2008 04:56 PM

12-4 here we come!

Daseal 06-27-2008 05:53 PM

I more just meant with 4 teams there's only one way we're guaranteed a top 5 spot =p

mooby 06-27-2008 06:23 PM

[quote=GMScud;454431]It really all depends on how we start. If we can manage 3-2 or even 2-3 in our first five games, I could see us winning 10. It's all about how we start this year, and that's tough with a new HC. If we can manage a week 1 win in Giants' stadium (and given the miserable offseason the G-men had, it's a possibility), that could serve as a huge tone-setter.[/quote]

True, but our opening schedule is very tough. Like NFLN said if we get off to a good start we'll be setting ourselves up for success but nothing's guaranteed especially with that schedule. Three division road games in the first five weeks not to mention the Saints and Cardinals, who aren't exactly pushovers themselves.

SouperMeister 06-27-2008 08:14 PM

[quote=mooby;454464]True, but our opening schedule is very tough. Like NFLN said if we get off to a good start we'll be setting ourselves up for success but nothing's guaranteed especially with that schedule.[B] Three division road games in the first five weeks[/B] not to mention the Saints and Cardinals, who aren't exactly pushovers themselves.[/quote]I'm still pissed about the schedule makers loading the front of our schedule with all of our road division games. It makes you wonder how randomly the schedules are made up. Of those division games, I have a good feeling about the opener in NY. The Skins dominated the G-men last time there, and the emotion of an opening game on national TV should yield playoff intensity from both teams.