Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Portis: Redskins will be among top five teams (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23776)

jsarno 06-29-2008 01:57 AM

Re: Portis: Redskins will be among top five teams

I've heard things like this in the past (we all have), and pretty much none of it was true.
I love the enthusiasm, but I'd like to see a real game before I make a judgement. Shame on me for listening to Spurrier. That bastard made me untrustworthy.

Schneed10 06-29-2008 08:43 AM

Portis may think the team can be top 5, but there are backs (and quarterbacks, and wide receivers, and linebackers...) all around the league who think their team will be top 5 as well.

There are 13 other teams this year who will have a say in our record. This Portis statement means squadoosh.

SmootSmack 06-29-2008 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=pstylee;454526]buster,

the cardinals used to be in NFC east but not anymore. So in some ways you are correct but you may wanna re-think what you were saying.

.[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm

jsarno 06-29-2008 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;454534]Portis may think the team can be top 5, but there are backs (and quarterbacks, and wide receivers, and linebackers...) all around the league who think their team will be top 5 as well.

There are 13 other teams this year who will have a say in our record. This Portis statement means [b]squadoosh.[/b][/QUOTE]

Tony Reali is that you?

I know this is odd, but I agree with you 100% here.

irish 06-30-2008 09:56 AM

He's high. 9-6 would be a great season for this team and that wont get them into the top 5.

MTK 06-30-2008 10:22 AM

9-6 is a game short there sport.

Who's the one that's high? ;)

Daseal 06-30-2008 11:11 AM

They strike in week 17.

Schneed10 06-30-2008 12:44 PM

[quote=Daseal;454594]They strike in week 17.[/quote]

Nice, SB win for us!

Eknox 06-30-2008 01:21 PM

That would be a dream come true, I'm tired of hearing about the cowgirls and how good they are gonna be..

irish 06-30-2008 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;454588]9-6 is a game short there sport.

Who's the one that's high? ;)[/QUOTE]

Oops, bad addition by me. 9-7 will be a super season for the Skins. Like everyone says about other pre-season predictions (especially the ones they dont agree with) they are meaningless. CP's ramblings are no different.

SmootSmack 07-01-2008 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;454727]This team has the talent. Maybe Gibbs retiring is what we needed to bring in some fresh ideas on how to better us this talent. Take for example. When our line has a blocking meeting now Zorn has our WR's sitting in on these meetings to learn what everyone is doing on these plays. I have heard of other things he is doning to have all of our payers on the same page and not each little group off on theri own. I think the Skins will surprise the NFL this season and start it off by blowing the Giants away in the first game. I feel that could really set the tone for the entire year. What I just said can be thrown out the window if JC does not take his game to the next level.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, though really not all that surprising, tidbit from ProFootballWeekly:

"Our sources tell us that there has been far less friction in Redskins Park so far this offseason since Jim Zorn has taken over. The root of the earlier stress, we are told, was Gregg Williams, who at times seemed to undermine the authority of Joe Gibbs, creating an awkward work environment at times. Zorn, we are told, has earned the respect of the veterans and is being treated as a nice guy who is not a pushover and is both competitive and intense."

I don't know that Williams necessarily undermined Gibbs' authority he just ran his own side carte blanche, but I think that was sort of the way Gibbs wanted it. I think with most any other head coach that would have been a very bad situation. I think the bigger problem was when Saunders was thrown into the mix. Anyhow, I don't really want to rehash all of this. Just wanted to toss in that nugget from PFW.

MTK 07-01-2008 12:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;454728]Interesting, though really not all that surprising, tidbit from ProFootballWeekly:

"Our sources tell us that there has been far less friction in Redskins Park so far this offseason since Jim Zorn has taken over. The root of the earlier stress, we are told, was Gregg Williams, who at times seemed to undermine the authority of Joe Gibbs, creating an awkward work environment at times. Zorn, we are told, has earned the respect of the veterans and is being treated as a nice guy who is not a pushover and is both competitive and intense."

I don't know that Williams necessarily undermined Gibbs' authority he just ran his own side carte blanche, but I think that was sort of the way Gibbs wanted it. I think with most any other head coach that would have been a very bad situation. I think the bigger problem was when Saunders was thrown into the mix. Anyhow, I don't really want to rehash all of this. Just wanted to toss in that nugget from PFW.[/quote]

It's definitely an interesting take. We'll see how that translates to results on the field.

The Goat 07-01-2008 06:51 PM

I'm w/ ya'll who love the confidence out of CP. I don't think he's blowin smoke here - I see a lot of reasons to be confident. Our defense should be just as good as last year's if not better. I say that because the d-line could really start to be a factor if A. Mont develops the way our coaches have anticipated and w/ P. Daniels in better shape than ever before (everybody's watched the power lifting comps and heard him talk about offseason fitness, right?). We should be just as strong elsewhere defensively too and possibly even better in the secondary.

So IMO our offense is the wild card, but holy shit do we have a lot of weapons. Two-tight-end-sets; 4 and 5 WR sets; CP ready to start ballin'; and a o-line w/ a healthy RT and another year of experience for the back-ups.

Skins could be the best story in football for '08.

Cowell 07-02-2008 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=The Goat;454797]I'm w/ ya'll who love the confidence out of CP. I don't think he's blowin smoke here - I see a lot of reasons to be confident. Our defense should be just as good as last year's if not better. I say that because the d-line could really start to be a factor if A. Mont develops the way our coaches have anticipated and w/ P. Daniels in better shape than ever before (everybody's watched the power lifting comps and heard him talk about offseason fitness, right?). We should be just as strong elsewhere defensively too and possibly even better in the secondary.

So IMO our offense is the wild card, but holy shit do we have a lot of weapons. Two-tight-end-sets; 4 and 5 WR sets; CP ready to start ballin'; and a o-line w/ a healthy RT and another year of experience for the back-ups.

Skins could be the best story in football for '08.[/QUOTE]

It could go this way. But since there is an entirely new system on offense you have to give it some time. I would be thrilled if this offense took off from the get-go, but you can't expect that. It could take a whole season for the Skins to really take command of the offense.