Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Safeties will stay same as the end of 2007-08 season (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/24013-safeties-will-stay-same-end-2007-a.html)

GridIron26 07-22-2008 11:48 PM

Safeties will stay same as the end of 2007-08 season

I think this is definitely good news as I always thought Reed deserves this.. I'm just glad that things will stay same..

[url=http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=3798]Landry To Stay At Free Safety[/url]

mlmpetert 07-22-2008 11:58 PM

Re: Safeties will stay same as the end of 2007-08 season

I feel good about this too. Keeps consistency in the secondary, not broke dont fix. Didnt Cooly talk about in his blog how Reed would be the most improved player from last season. Basicly saying Reed is spending more time in the offseason then anyone else at Redskins park working out and stuff.

skinsfan69 07-23-2008 12:17 AM

I don't know about you guys but not seeing #21 out there is still going to be very strange. I can't imagine how sick the secondary would be this year with #21 and Landry back there. But it's Reid's time now so I hope he can hold it down. He's got some big shoes to fill.

wilsowilso 07-23-2008 02:18 AM

This was a no brainer IMO. Landry is the fastest safety in the league and he played great after the switch to FS last year.

GridIron26 07-23-2008 02:44 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;458613]I don't know about you guys but not seeing #21 out there is still going to be very strange. I can't imagine how sick the secondary would be this year with #21 and Landry back there. But it's Reid's time now so I hope he can hold it down. He's got some big shoes to fill.[/quote]

Of course, it's still going to be strange.. Unfortunately, we have to move on because it's part of life.. Don't get me wrong, I miss Sean greatly; I always thought of him everyday.. I watch clips of him often.. However, in order to help D get better, we have to move on.. And in some ways, I'm kind of surprised that Reed have not proven you enough? I mean, last few games - Reed played well (IMO).. However, not that great but good enough to help the defense hold the O down.. Granted, at his first game - he played terrible but that was when he played as FS.. But now LL and RD switched the positions, and it turned out to be good enough..

GTripp0012 07-23-2008 05:40 AM

This is a good move, if not an obvious one.

Schweigert is a great contingency plan for Landry, but kudos to Blache for making the right call here and quickly.

Schneed10 07-23-2008 09:13 AM

Yeah I'm thrilled with this. Landry showed amazing range at the end of last season. And it seems strange to say it, but I thought he was just as effective as ST was in that free safety spot. ST laid down the wood with big hits, and of course we loved him and will never forget him. But Landry has the talent to be just as good, if not better, in that spot.

Reed is remarkably dependable for such a young player, and is becoming one of my favorites. He is a very fundamentally sound tackler and he takes the right angles to the ballcarrier. I feel very comfortable with him back there.

J. Spanky 07-23-2008 09:17 AM

this is fantastic news. i'm glad blache made the right decision and i suspect he knew all along. i'm comfortable with reed at ss and landry is the only safety we have worthy of succeeding sean.

Mattyk 07-23-2008 09:38 AM

Landry really seemed to thrive at FS. Good to see he'll be back there again.

memphisskin 07-23-2008 09:48 AM

I loved his range and he did seem to get more comfortable as the season wore on. One question, now that we have a pass rush, will we still line him up 30 yards off the ball?

freddyg12 07-23-2008 09:51 AM

LL is so good that he could play both spots & be THE best in the nfl. His speed is off the charts & from day it was obvious he likes to hit & is fearless at the line of scrimmage. That seattle game really showed his instincts in coverage.

Blache will be able to mix it up some, especially if he's confident in Schweigert, Moore, Horton or whoever earns the backup fs spot. He can still sneak LL up to blitz now & then.

cpayne5 07-23-2008 09:56 AM

I love this decision. Landry showed a lot at the end of last season. He has the range and tenacity to scare QBs into not throwing deep and WRs into not wanting to run deep.

The way he played was strikingly similar to our fallen Pro Bowler.

J. Spanky 07-23-2008 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=memphisskin;458647]One question, now that we have a pass rush, will we still line him up 30 yards off the ball?[/QUOTE]

let's hope so! with him up there keeping qb's scared to throw the ball and our new de tandem keeping 'em scared not to.... this should be interesting.

LandrySlice 07-23-2008 11:10 AM

I love leaving Landry at FS but I am a little worried about Doughty at the SS. While I feel that Landry is the best player at FS i think the better tandum would have been Schweigert at FS and Landry back at SS. More proven skill between those two. Just throwing it out for thought, but either way I trust Blaches decision.

Schneed10 07-23-2008 11:17 AM

[quote=LandrySlice;458665]I love leaving Landry at FS but I am a little worried about Doughty at the SS. While I feel that Landry is the best player at FS i think the better tandum would have been Schweigert at FS and Landry back at SS. More proven skill between those two. Just throwing it out for thought, but either way I trust Blaches decision.[/quote]

Yeah I'd have to strongly disagree. Landry is a good tackler and would be good in the SS role for sure, but it doesn't make use of his greatest asset, which is his amazing range and speed.

At FS, the defense can do much more from a schematic standpoint. You can send corners on blitzes, you can put Doughty up in the box, you can let Smoot and Springs play up on WRs knowing Landry is deep over the top.

Plus, the FS is the guy who intercepts passes more often. With Jason Taylor and Andre Carter putting pressure on, I want Landry back there to run under the throws that guys like Eli and Romo will surely toss up there for grabs.