Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Leigh Torrence's Camp Performance (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24075)

SmootSmack 07-25-2008 07:53 AM

Leigh Torrence's Camp Performance

So I hear that Leigh Torrence has really taken his game to another level this offseason and he's been a playmaker in camp.

Can anyone who's been to camp (Hess? BSB?) confirm?

If he emerges this year, that would be huge

freddyg12 07-25-2008 08:04 AM

Re: Leigh Torrence's Camp Performance

good ? smootsmack
The coaches obviously saw something they liked in this guy, whereas the warpath consensus has always been that we're in trouble if he hits the field. I hope his technique has come around & he's adjusted to the nfl. It would be huge if he could convincingly win the #3 spot by week 1.

MTK 07-25-2008 08:54 AM

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks he can be a good player for us.

Schneed10 07-25-2008 09:01 AM

This would be huge. Though I need to hear that he's doing this consistently throughout all of camp, and I need to see that he's absolutely blanketing the 3rd string scrub WRs in preseason games. Then I'll be a believer that he can be a solid nickel.

I'd also like to see him face some starting WRs to test himself against in preseason. But I know he's more likely to face the backups. And I'd like to hear that he's able to cover our own starting WRs like Moss and Randle-El half decently in camp. I don't care if he's making plays against Anthony Mix or Burl Toler.

JoeRedskin 07-25-2008 09:08 AM

While never a member of the Leigh Torrence (the new "Ade") Fan Club, I was never a hater either. I figured GW saw something in the guy. But, I am with Schneed, let's see him work in the preseason. If he is anything better than a solid 4th corner, that would be great. If he can actually work into the rotation, Huge.

Also, if Torrence is good enough, how does this sound on 3rd and long - Smoot, Rogers, Torrence as corners; Springs, Landry as safeties.

GMScud 07-25-2008 10:19 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;459183]While never a member of the Leigh Torrence (the new "Ade") Fan Club, I was never a hater either. I figured GW saw something in the guy. But, I am with Schneed, let's see him work in the preseason. If he is anything better than a solid 4th corner, that would be great. If he can actually work into the rotation, Huge.

Also, if Torrence is good enough, how does this sound on 3rd and long - Smoot, Rogers, Torrence as corners; Springs, Landry as safeties.[/quote]

I like Torrence. He's only in his 3rd season and he wasn't drafted, so you know he's taking nothing for granted. But he did start at corner in the PAC-10 (Stanford), so he knows about a big stage. Coaches rave about his work ethic and progress. I'll be very pleased if he continues to contribute on special teams and develops further as a corner. If C.Rogers can contribute this year, and then you throw in JT Tryon and Torrence with Smoot and Springs, then I feel pretty darn good about our corner situation. And like Springs said, having Jason Taylor to compliment A.Carter will only help the D-backs.

freddyg12 07-25-2008 11:23 AM

I didn't blast him like some did last year, but the fact of it was that he wasn't up to the job of man to man yet. He got turned around - a cardinal sin for db's - a few plays, and generally looked overwhelmed.

It would be a bonus to have him contribute to the D regularly. After Eubanks got cut & w/Rogers still out, he's got a great opportunity. Of course, I wouldn't mind if Tryon had a great showing & earned the spot. One of both of those guys might be starting material in 09.

J. Spanky 07-25-2008 12:12 PM

i like his speed but every year there's a new list of training camp heroes. let's see if the buzz lingers into late august...

freddyg12 07-25-2008 01:05 PM

[quote=J. Spanky;459246]i like his speed but every year there's a new list of training camp heroes. let's see if the buzz lingers into late august...[/quote]

sure are, especially here. Torrence has stuck thru 2 camps though, if he makes the active roster again you've got to think he's got somethin.If he can be a career nickel back that's pretty good for an undrafted guy.

GoSkins! 07-25-2008 02:54 PM

He is in his third year right? The dude has speed, and he did pretty well in the games at the end of last year. He has the ability to be the 4th corner and fill in pretty well as a third as long as the first two corners are playing well. This year he needs to step up and prove he can play solid as a third corner and even fill in for spot duty as a number two. AND he has to beat out Tryon.

He has done good so far...

redsk1 07-25-2008 03:14 PM

I got blasted for bringing him up in the offseason as serviceable depth at either a 3rd or 4th CB depending on injuries.

GoSkins! 07-25-2008 03:47 PM

[quote=redsk1;459302]I got blasted for bringing him up in the offseason as serviceable depth at either a 3rd or 4th CB depending on injuries.[/quote]

I'm not saying he is yet. I'm saying that if he can't be a third CB in his third year, his chances of ever being that go down quite a bit. Teams start looking to fill that void early in the draft or in the free agent market.

EXoffender 07-27-2008 05:21 PM

Tryon is looking good too. His size and quick feet will probably lock him into the nickle spot. Torrence has the size to play outside and will play backup there but he still isn't instintive enough to be reliable in coverage.

SmootSmack 07-27-2008 10:14 PM

So can anyone who's actually watched him this summer while at camp confirm that he's playing well?

mooby 07-27-2008 10:58 PM

I was at camp today and I was definitely impressed by #29, I think that's him. He was playing it close to the receivers and if I remember correctly he had a nice breakup. I didn't see who he was going up against though, I was on the far side of camp and I could barely make out their numbers, but I was definitely impressed by #29. Lemme go look and see if that's his number, I think it is but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit: Yes he is.

The Goat 07-27-2008 11:16 PM

This is fantastic news for the Skins. Torrence is such a speedster it would be a shame if he didn't develop his skill to be a consistent guy. He is pretty small, even for a CB, which probably means he'll be limited to who he can cover. Still, if he could be a consistent contributor out there, especially while Rogers rehabs over the next year, it's going to give us an even better chance of elite defense status.

GridIron26 07-30-2008 04:58 PM

Good story about Torrence

[url=http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=37243]Torrence Gaining In Confidence[/url]

The Goat 07-31-2008 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=GridIron26;460248]Good story about Torrence

[url=http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=37243]Torrence Gaining In Confidence[/url][/QUOTE]

Cool. I hadn't seen the article before and I'm glad you posted it. Torrence sounds like a good guy all around. He should have opps this year, especially early on.

GridIron26 07-31-2008 02:46 AM

[quote=The Goat;460302]Cool. I hadn't seen the article before and I'm glad you posted it. Torrence sounds like a good guy all around. He should have opps this year, especially early on.[/quote]

I hope he will make the most out of the opportunities.. And I am sure he will..

SmootSmack 08-04-2008 04:46 PM

I was definitely impressed with him on Sunday. Looks like he's really improving

JGisLordOfTheRings 08-04-2008 05:22 PM

He was VASTLY improved on Sunday imo. Last year whenever I saw him on the field he was flailing around like a fish out of water, constantly getting beat and always out of position to make a play.

Much better on Sunday. Tryon and Westbrook need to get it together or they're out imo.

freddyg12 08-04-2008 05:28 PM

He did well on those quick slants & outs last night. It was the double moves that really got him last year. He definitely closed well on the ball last night.