Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dirtbag359 Presents The Preseason Battle Poll (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24395)

Warren85Ellard 08-16-2008 11:54 PM

Re: Dirtbag359 Presents The Preseason Battle Poll

Rob Jackson will be on the final 53

GhettoDogAllStars 08-18-2008 02:40 PM

I gotta say, after seeing Rock with that 70+ yard carry against NY, the Rock v. Mason battle became more interesting. I mean, Rock looked really fast on that run -- much faster than I recall him running before. We all know he's a good ST'er. Plus, he's a long-time Redskin.

On the other hand, Mason seems to create more opportunities. He doesn't need a gaping hole to run through. I can't say anything about their blocking abilities -- I haven't seen them enough.

Unless Mason can take Rock's spot on ST, I don't think you can cut Rock in exchange for Mason. We'd basically be giving up a starter for a 3rd string RB. Perhaps we could keep both, but I don't think it would be wise because we'd lose somebody somewhere else.

I think it comes down to blocking. If Mason can match Betts in blocking, then ideally we trade Betts. It would suck to do that to him though, considering he took less money to stay here last time he re-signed (right?).

GhettoDogAllStars 08-19-2008 02:44 PM

FWIW, JLa thinks Mason will make the roster, and Jackson and Wilson won't:

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/07first_crack_at_the_53.html]First Crack at the 53 - Redskins Insider[/url]

Dirtbag59 08-19-2008 02:52 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465492]FWIW, JLa thinks Mason will make the roster, and Jackson and Wilson won't:

[URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/07first_crack_at_the_53.html"]First Crack at the 53 - Redskins Insider[/URL][/quote]

Damn, thats one we didn't see coming back in April. If someone suggested that they would have been laughed at and ridiculed. However I suggest that the team give Wilson some reps at OLB. If I remember right Wilson might have been an OLB in the CFL, then again don't hold me to that.

firstdown 08-19-2008 02:57 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465297]I gotta say, after seeing Rock with that 70+ yard carry against NY, the Rock v. Mason battle became more interesting. I mean, Rock looked really fast on that run -- much faster than I recall him running before. We all know he's a good ST'er. Plus, he's a long-time Redskin.

On the other hand, Mason seems to create more opportunities. He doesn't need a gaping hole to run through. I can't say anything about their blocking abilities -- I haven't seen them enough.

Unless Mason can take Rock's spot on ST, I don't think you can cut Rock in exchange for Mason. We'd basically be giving up a starter for a 3rd string RB. Perhaps we could keep both, but I don't think it would be wise because we'd lose somebody somewhere else.

I think it comes down to blocking. If Mason can match Betts in blocking, then ideally we trade Betts. It would suck to do that to him though, considering he took less money to stay here last time he re-signed (right?).[/quote]
Well if you look at just preseason Bett's is averaging more yards per carry and he has faced D's in the 1st and 2nd quarters of the game. Mason while he's look impressive has made most of his yards against scrubs and what would happen if he had to be the starter for a few games? Thats what we don't know about him but we do know that Bett's can carry the load. No way we get rid of Bett's.

EXoffender 08-19-2008 02:58 PM

I would say Cartwright vs Mason but, as I said before, if Mason isn't returning kickoffs he has little value. Mason does seem to be a better RB than Cartwright and it's likely that we can have WRs that return punts and kickoffs. I voted Horton vs Moore and this battle includes Vernon Fox since we are a little thin at S and we'll need more than a body who just plays special teams. A bold prediction is Horton and Moore making the team and Fox getting the ax. Richardson vs Tryon is aslso a heated one. One will be allocated to the pratice squad...

MTK 08-19-2008 03:11 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465492]FWIW, JLa thinks Mason will make the roster, and Jackson and Wilson won't:

[URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/07first_crack_at_the_53.html"]First Crack at the 53 - Redskins Insider[/URL][/quote]

Pretty solid predictions on his part.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-19-2008 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;465496]Well if you look at just preseason Bett's is averaging more yards per carry and he has faced D's in the 1st and 2nd quarters of the game. Mason while he's look impressive has made most of his yards against scrubs and what would happen if he had to be the starter for a few games? Thats what we don't know about him but we do know that Bett's can carry the load. No way we get rid of Bett's.[/QUOTE]

I'd say Mason's value as a starter would be determined by his blocking and receiving.

If our line is run-blocking well, Mason can get just as many yards as Betts. There is nothing about Betts' running style that is better than Mason's, IMO.

As for the average: Betts is 6.8 with 11 carries; Mason is 5.4 with 43 carries. That's not much of an argument. Mason has had 4 times as many carries as Betts, so the odds are working against him -- and he's still averaging 5.4. Also, he started the HoF game, so he's seen similar competition as Betts this preseason (he got 98 yards in that game, btw).

Let me be clear: I'm not saying Mason is better than Betts. I'm just saying that as a #2 RB, who is equally capable (IMO, w/o regard to blocking), Mason is a better fit because he has more upside and is cheaper/younger.

If we lost Portis, Betts would come in and do well -- but I think Mason would too. Betts isn't all that special, he just runs into a hole -- Mason can do that too.

Can somebody help me out with blocking critique? I haven't seen Mason's blocking abilities...

freddyg12 08-19-2008 04:01 PM

no way we trade Betts unless someone comes up w/a crazy offer. If they keep Mason I agree w/JLC, he'd be the 4th rb.

mooby 08-19-2008 04:09 PM

For me the most interesting battle is who makes the cut at the 6th wide receiver spot. Brooks vs. Frost is another close matchup though, although I kinda expect Brooks to take it because you generally don't invest draft picks in punters only to cut them before the regular season.

I think with both of our rook wideouts nursing injuries whoever takes that #6 spot will be key in helping out the team. McMullen seems to have the lead right now but he's been inconsistent part of the time and that doesn't help his cause. The Anthony Mix fan club has pretty much disappeared because Mix hasn't done anything at all so far to help out his cause. I think WR depth this year is going to be key what with the rooks' injuries and we know Moss and Randle El aren't the most reliable receivers health wise either.

hail_2_da_skins 08-20-2008 09:08 AM

I think the real competition is for the starting punting job. It's going right down the wire. I've seen Frost shank too many punts. Durant Brooks should win this job.

SouperMeister 08-25-2008 09:34 AM

[quote=hail_2_da_skins;465707]I think the real competition is for the starting punting job. It's going right down the wire. I've seen Frost shank too many punts. Durant Brooks should win this job.[/quote]As highly as Brooks was touted coming out of GA Tech, I would be disappointed if he didn't win the job. The guy has a cannon for a leg, and I would hate to see him land with a division rival if we were to cut him. I've heard that Suisham is more comfortable with Frost holding, so that could be a factor in deciding who we keep as punter. If that's really an issue, I would try Todd Collins as holder in order to keep Brooks on the roster.

doughtydoubter 08-26-2008 10:56 AM

What about the dbs/saftey cuts? im curious to see if tryon makes the team, and who fills out the depth at lb with sinclairs cut?