Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rogers Might Play on Saturday (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24475)

SmootSmack 08-12-2008 06:04 PM

Rogers Might Play on Saturday

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/carlos_could_play_saturday_roc.html]Rogers May Play; Rocky's Road; Trash-Talkfest - Redskins Insider[/url]

Rogers' rehab seems to be flying under the radar. But this is pretty huge news I think that he could be playing several weeks (if not months) before anyone thought just a few weeks ago.

But I don't know if it's good news.

On the one hand it is because despite what some may say he's not a terrible DB. Yes his dropped INTs are infuriating, still he's physical, a solid tackler, strong in man coverage, puts himself in position to make plays and keeps offenses somewhat honest. Plus, Leigh Torrence is much preferred at the 4th CB spot than the nickel.

On the other hand, are we rushing him back? My guess is the coaches wouldn't put him out there unles they were 100% sure he was healthy, and really it's impossible to know if he's fully ready until he gets out there in a full game situation. Still, I am a little nervous about it.

What sayest thou?

budw38 08-12-2008 06:15 PM

Re: Rogers Might Play on Saturday

I would keep Rogers , Rocky and E. James out of preseason games and work them in as the season starts . Lets face it , most starters get limited time on the field during the preseason and I doubt we can't win without them playing every down in September .

Smooter 08-12-2008 06:39 PM

I'm definitely excited to possibly have Carlos back so soon. I think if possible they should play him for a series, but thats about it.

Daseal 08-12-2008 07:00 PM

It would be huge to have Carlos by week 1. Whatever our docs do, don't put this guy in any position to re-aggravate the injury.

Riggo44 08-12-2008 07:02 PM

I agree it's great that he's feeling this good so soon. I just hope there taking things really slow so that the training staff knows he's ready before they risk anything.

MTK 08-12-2008 07:14 PM

If he's medically cleared let him play.

Beemnseven 08-12-2008 07:33 PM

Yeah, I'd be spooked about it too. Imagine how Carlos feels with all the cuts, plants, shifts, twists, and turns he has to make just on one play? I'd be nervous as hell, especially when it's in a game that doesn't really matter.

We have to find out about him sooner or later though. It would suck if all he needed were just two more weeks to be thoroughly healed without any question and he was rushed back onto the field. Like Matty said though, if he's medically cleared to play, then he's medically cleared.

skinsfan_nn 08-12-2008 07:35 PM

When he's cleared to go, turn him lose. Just caught the redskin pm news, they interviewed Rodgers he said he hoped to play maybe next week against Carolina.

He mentioned nothing about playing time for the jets game. Just a guess but after watching the interview with Rodgers I would think Carolina will be his first action, best case scenario.

GTripp0012 08-12-2008 07:48 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;463889][URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/carlos_could_play_saturday_roc.html"]Rogers May Play; Rocky's Road; Trash-Talkfest - Redskins Insider[/URL]

Rogers' rehab seems to be flying under the radar. But this is pretty huge news I think that he could be playing several weeks (if not months) before anyone thought just a few weeks ago.

But I don't know if it's good news.

On the one hand it is because despite what some may say he's not a terrible DB. Yes his dropped INTs are infuriating, still he's physical, a solid tackler, strong in man coverage, puts himself in position to make plays and keeps offenses somewhat honest. Plus, Leigh Torrence is much preferred at the 4th CB spot than the nickel.

On the other hand, are we rushing him back? My guess is the coaches wouldn't put him out there unles they were 100% sure he was healthy, and really it's impossible to know if he's fully ready until he gets out there in a full game situation. Still, I am a little nervous about it.

What sayest thou?[/quote]The lack of physical play of a corner relative to other positions on the field make me feel like while his explosiveness might need more time to return to full potential, there's no harm in getting him out there for a few downs as a measuring stick to where he's at right now.

We really do need him to be on the field for us. I think we will ease him in as the nickel back early in the season, but if we are going to be a playoff team, Rogers is going to have to make a solid contribution.

SmootSmack 08-12-2008 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;463904]Yeah, I'd be spooked about it too. Imagine how Carlos feels with all the cuts, plants, shifts, twists, and turns he has to make just on one play? I'd be nervous as hell, especially when it's in a game that doesn't really matter.

We have to find out about him sooner or later though. It would suck if all he needed were just two more weeks to be thoroughly healed without any question and he was rushed back onto the field. Like Matty said though, if he's medically cleared to play, then he's medically cleared.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly what's making the coaches more relaxed about him playing is they don't cringe anymore when he falls to the ground during practice or someone falls on him.

GMScud 08-12-2008 11:07 PM

My reflex is to say ease him back- It's only been about 9 1/2-10 months since a very severe injury, and he plays a position where stop and go speed and cutting are so vital... I'd say let him play a little in the last, or maybe the last 2 preseason games just so he's used to game speed... Then again, maybe he's just one of those freakish healers. Remember when Braylon Edwards tore his ACL a few years ago and was back to full speed after like 7 months? I'm hoping that's the situation with Carlos. We're definitely better with him.

jamf 08-12-2008 11:43 PM

He needs to build some confidence in his knee.
I've heard that the hardest part about recovering from major knee surgery is believing you can make the same cuts as before.

He needs to get out there and test it.

I've been hard on the guy.
In his rookie year, Springs came out and said that Rogers doesn't take advice from veterans and doesn't learn from his mistakes. I saw an interview with Rogers a few months ago and he said that he can no longer rely solely on his athletic ability, He had to be fundamentally sound.

I still don't think he fully gets it but if he gets all his speed and quickness back and becomes fundamentally sound, He could have a monster year.

GTripp0012 08-12-2008 11:55 PM

This is a very important year for Rogers. Regardless of what happened in the preseason, I'm stoked that he'll be on the field for Week One.

mooby 08-13-2008 12:01 AM

I'm a little concerned, I don't want them to be putting him back in unless he's 100% confident that he's absolutely ready. He might be a fast healer but I just don't want to risk him getting reinjured too soon. If he's back by week one then great, I still say he along with Rocky should sit out another week though.

GTripp0012 08-13-2008 12:07 AM

I heard back in February that Rogers was progressing well ahead of schedule, and McIntosh was the one who hit a setback, but I was cautious to buy the report because Rogers' injury was so much worse.