Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   China Suspected of Foul Play in Olympic Gymnastics (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24513)

GhettoDogAllStars 08-14-2008 11:22 AM

China Suspected of Foul Play in Olympic Gymnastics

Anyone heard of this?

BEIJING -- Just nine months before the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast He Kexin was 13, which would have made her ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/gymnastics/news/story?id=3534544&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines]ESPN - Earlier state media report listed gymnast He's age as 13 - Olympics[/url]

This would be an absolute shame, if it's true, because that would mean an entire country was cheating -- not just an individual. I can be almost certain this would be totally out of the question for any of the big 8 countries. The sad part is, I can't be so certain about China. If true, I think you have to bar China from future Olympics.

KLHJ2 08-14-2008 11:31 AM

Re: China Suspected of Foul Play in Olympic Gymnastics

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;464363]Anyone heard of this?

BEIJING -- Just nine months before the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast He Kexin was 13, which would have made her ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week.

[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/gymnastics/news/story?id=3534544&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines"]ESPN - Earlier state media report listed gymnast He's age as 13 - Olympics[/URL]

This would be an absolute shame, if it's true, because that would mean an entire country was cheating -- not just an individual. I can be almost certain this would be totally out of the question for any of the big 8 countries. The sad part is, I can't be so certain about China. If true, I think you have to bar China from future Olympics.[/quote]

If its true then the whole world should be ashamed of being beat by a bunch of kids. JK

I did hear about it and am aware of the advantages. On the other hand I really could care less. China has their strong events and we have ours.

Daseal 08-16-2008 07:51 AM

We should make Phelps to gymnastics. That'll learn em'

Duffman003 08-16-2008 10:13 AM

Is there an advantage for being younger in gymnastics? I don't get the big deal, but I guess I don't really care about the Olympics either which makes my apathy make sense.

FRPLG 08-16-2008 10:31 AM

Yeah I am not so sure what advantage it gives them other than it increases their pool of potnetials but I do have zero doubt that at least a few of those girls were no more than 14. Tops.

onlydarksets 08-16-2008 03:38 PM

[quote=Duffman003;464762]Is there an advantage for being younger in gymnastics? I don't get the big deal, but I guess I don't really care about the Olympics either which makes my apathy make sense.[/quote]
According to the first link in Google:
[quote]Younger, and therefore smaller, gymnasts have the advantage of being able to perform difficult skills easier.[/quote][url]http://www.hollywoodgrind.com/chinese-olympic-gymnasts-underage-scandal/[/url]

That Guy 08-18-2008 02:16 AM

"if" it's true?

have you seen them? if you said they were 10 i wouldn't blink. they did the forensics on facial features and came up with 12 to 14.

That Guy 08-18-2008 02:18 AM

is there a hidden message here?

[quote]Chinese authorities insist that all three are old enough to compete. [B]He[/B] [I]herself [/I]told reporters after Wednesday's final that "my real age is 16. I don't pay any attention to what everyone says."[/quote]

[quote]A May 23 story in the China Daily newspaper, the official English-language paper of the Chinese government, said [B]He[/B] was 14. The story was later corrected to list [I]her[/I] as 16.[/quote]

where the f was the editor?

ArtMonkDrillz 08-18-2008 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy;465173]is there a hidden message here?

where the f was the editor?[/QUOTE][B]He[/B] is [I]her[/I] name.

[QUOTE]Just nine months before the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast [B]He Kexin [/B]was 13, which would have made her ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week.[/QUOTE]

djnemo65 08-18-2008 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy;465173]is there a hidden message here?

where the f was the editor?[/QUOTE]

Haha, good one.

I think to speculate about what advantage may or may not be gained through lying about age is to miss the point. They violated the rules. It's like questioning if 3 year olds really have the best chance to win the Kentucky Derby - completely irrelevant because that's the age they have to be.

FRPLG 08-18-2008 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=djnemo65;465183]Haha, good one.

I think to speculate about what advantage may or may not be gained through lying about age is to miss the point. They violated the rules. It's like questioning if 3 year olds really have the best chance to win the Kentucky Derby - completely irrelevant because that's the age they have to be.[/QUOTE]

That would only matter if it was the US that had cheated this way. Otherwise it is fine. Just our sour grapes.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-18-2008 10:13 AM

Did anyone see the pommel horse final yesterday?

The competitors get two attempts and their final score is the average of the two.

So, the US girl lands twice and takes a step or two for minor deductions. The Chinese girl falls on one of her attempts. Yet, she somehow got bronze, and the US girl got 4th. :confused:

Not saying this is China's fault. Just some shitty judging if you ask me.

SmootSmack 08-18-2008 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=GhettoDogAllStars;465192]Did anyone see the pommel horse final yesterday?

The competitors get two attempts and their final score is the average of the two.

So, the US girl lands twice and takes a step or two for minor deductions. The Chinese girl falls on one of her attempts. Yet, she somehow got bronze, and the US girl got 4th. :confused:

Not saying this is China's fault. Just some shitty judging if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the vault? 'Cause that was effed up.

onlydarksets 08-18-2008 10:58 AM

Yeah - Bela Karolyi was fired up about that.

Stacks42 08-18-2008 11:12 AM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465192]Did anyone see the pommel horse final yesterday?

Not saying this is China's fault. Just some shitty judging if you ask me.[/quote]

Her name is Alicia Sacramone, she is smokin hot! [IMG]http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/Picture%2038(6).png[/IMG]