Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/)
-   -   Kite Surfing Tropical Storm Fay (http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/24591-kite-surfing-tropical-storm-fay.html)

firstdown 08-19-2008 04:17 PM

Kite Surfing Tropical Storm Fay

Maybe it was not such a good idea and I hope the guy lives.
[url=http://cbs4.com/local/Kite.Surfer.las.2.798049.html]cbs4.com - Caught On Tape: Wind Blows Kite Surfer Into Bldg.[/url]

BleedBurgundy 08-19-2008 05:44 PM

Re: Kite Surfing Tropical Storm Fay

I have no clue how he survived that. The first face plant in the sand was bad enough but, flying directly into a building??? My thing is, why harness yourself in when you're doing this in an effing hurricane? Why not just "hold on" and if it's strong enough to rip the handle out of your hands, you're probably better off...

Hog1 08-19-2008 05:49 PM

It was a little breezy for that sort of thing. However the locals in Naples were big timin' in unusually good surfing conditions shortly before Fay began to come ashore yesterday

mredskins 08-19-2008 05:52 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;465528]I have no clue how he survived that. The first face plant in the sand was bad enough but, flying directly into a building??? My thing is, why harness yourself in when you're doing this in an effing hurricane? Why not just "hold on" and if it's strong enough to rip the handle out of your hands, you're probably better off...[/quote]

I think even in normal conditions it is strong enoung to pull it out of your hands. I could not imganie how much that must have sucked!

KLHJ2 08-20-2008 11:27 AM

Why didn't he let go when he hit the beach?

TheMalcolmConnection 08-20-2008 11:57 AM

LOL. Seriously, just let go!

Schneed10 08-20-2008 12:07 PM

Don't you get harnessed into those things? I don't think you can just let go, can you?

GhettoDogAllStars 08-20-2008 12:23 PM

You're right Schneed. He couldn't let go, it's a harness. However, they have emergency release points. My guess is that he was a bit concussed after slamming the beach, and he didn't have any time to react.

KLHJ2 08-20-2008 01:26 PM

Shit IDK, I have never kite surfed. It sounded like a legitimate question. I saw him still hanging on with his arms extended.

I would have thought that it would be more important to stay closer to your board, not latched onto a kite that can take off with you.

Shows how much I know about the subject.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-20-2008 01:29 PM

Most of the kite surfers I have seen also have their feet strapped into bindings on the board. Kite strapped to your body, board strapped to your feet -- you really gotta commit!

KLHJ2 08-20-2008 01:31 PM

Kite Surfing Helmet?????

GhettoDogAllStars 08-20-2008 01:37 PM

Never seen any of 'em wearing helmets... I bet this guy wishes he did.

Also, there are a couple different styles of kite surfing. Some guys get huge air (50+ ft), and some guys just go fast and skim along the water. One minute you'll see a guy way out (1/4 mi.), and you'll think, "Damn he better watch himself." Then, in no more than 60 seconds, he'll be right near the beach. They go really fast. Then, the guys that get big air, just mess around trying to find the best wind. The problem is, once they're in the air, they have very little control over where they land. So, they usually get far away from the beach before launching into the air.

firstdown 08-20-2008 02:04 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465756]Never seen any of 'em wearing helmets... I bet this guy wishes he did.

Also, there are a couple different styles of kite surfing. Some guys get huge air (50+ ft), and some guys just go fast and skim along the water. One minute you'll see a guy way out (1/4 mi.), and you'll think, "Damn he better watch himself." Then, in no more than 60 seconds, he'll be right near the beach. They go really fast. Then, the guys that get big air, just mess around trying to find the best wind. The problem is, once they're in the air, they have very little control over where they land. So, they usually get far away from the beach before launching into the air.[/quote]
We have a place in Nags Head NC on the beach, and watch these guys all the time and GhettoDog has it about right. The good riders have more control of their flight and can guide themself while in the air. I think this person was getting ready to go out when the wind kicked up and snatched them down the beach. It was clear they were not in the water and I never saw a board. I have seen these guys when they do not have the kite attached to their body harness it gets ripped out of their hands with not much of a wind blowing. They have to be strapped in as they use their body weight to offset the wind and it just too much preasure to hold onto the handle.