Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cooley's take on the Panthers game (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24717)

MTK 08-24-2008 11:24 PM

Cooley's take on the Panthers game

[url=http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/2008/08/panthers-47-redskins-3.html]The Official Blog of Chris Cooley: Panthers 47 - Redskins 3 : ([/url]

BleedBurgundy 08-24-2008 11:27 PM

Re: Cooley's take on the Panthers game

That's about the kind of response you'd want... Sky isn't falling, but let's get back to work.

FRPLG 08-24-2008 11:39 PM

Part of me wonders if our lack luster performance was due in part to our preseason being so long. When Cooley admits that he hasn't looked forward to practice for weeks its a clue that maybe we just didn't show up. I guess I am hoping that is the case. The alternative is that we just suck.

MTK 08-24-2008 11:43 PM

[quote=FRPLG;467474]Part of me wonders if our lack luster performance was due in part to our preseason being so long. When Cooley admits that he hasn't looked forward to practice for weeks its a clue that maybe we just didn't show up. I guess I am hoping that is the case. The alternative is that we just suck.[/quote]

They very well could be burned out a bit.

Ruhskins 08-24-2008 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;467474]Part of me wonders if our lack luster performance was due in part to our preseason being so long. When Cooley admits that he hasn't looked forward to practice for weeks its a clue that maybe we just didn't show up. I guess I am hoping that is the case. The alternative is that we just suck.[/QUOTE]

man they better show up for that giants game!

Lady Brave 08-25-2008 12:22 AM

The fact that he is pissed and can't wait to get back to practice is exactly what I want to hear.

Ruhskins 08-25-2008 01:26 AM

[QUOTE=Lady Brave;467482]The fact that he is pissed and can't wait to get back to practice is exactly what I want to hear.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, I hope this shakes things up in practice this week and gets the team fired up for the Giants. I'm 50/50 on whether the starters should play much against the Jags. While they need to show that they have rebounded from this thrashing, another part of me thinks that someone else might get hurt.

JWsleep 08-25-2008 01:44 AM

well put by CC. Sounds like he's got the right attitude on this.

Now get out there and fix it, boys!

Schneed10 08-25-2008 08:56 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;467475]They very well could be burned out a bit.[/quote]

True that, Zorn did run a tough camp with far more two-a-days than Gibbs had. Plus it started early.

Gut check time.

MTK 08-25-2008 08:59 AM

[quote=Schneed10;467501]True that, Zorn did run a tough camp with far more two-a-days than Gibbs had. Plus it started early.

Gut check time.[/quote]

Or maybe it was a case of a team getting too cocky. Zorn said they had one of their best practices leading up to the game. Or maybe it was just a case of a team coming out flat for whatever reason and getting their butts kicked. Who knows really. I'm sure Zorn is searching for the same answer.

hesscl34 08-25-2008 09:03 AM

It reminded me of the Giants game a few years back. When the Giants' owner died and we just were flat and got steamed rolled....

firstdown 08-25-2008 09:34 AM

[quote=FRPLG;467474]Part of me wonders if our lack luster performance was due in part to our preseason being so long. When Cooley admits that he hasn't looked forward to practice for weeks its a clue that maybe we just didn't show up. I guess I am hoping that is the case. The alternative is that we just suck.[/quote]
While I did not read that CC admitted that he has not looked foward to practice in some weeks it may account for the fact that he has a wooping two catches in three preseason games. These guys get paid very well and even though I really like CC those kind of comments should never be made in public. Add to the fact the way this team played Saturday night maybe other players have the same attitude. What do they think they can just read their pplay book and have down a new system or maybe they needed the extra time and effort to get down the plays.

Now that I think about what Colley said about practice we also have Portis saying the same thing about playing preason games. I hope this is not the attititude of other players when they finally get their big pay day. I doupt Cooley would have said that before he got his new contract.

SouperMeister 08-25-2008 09:36 AM

That game reminded me of the NE pre-season blowout a couple years back. I hope it's a wake up call for the entire team, but especially both lines.

Hog1 08-25-2008 09:44 AM

NICE stuff, and just what I want to hear!
I wonder if CC really writes his blog, or is it ghost written by someone else?

MTK 08-25-2008 09:52 AM

His brother posts some stuff but for the most part I think CC really does update it.

70Chip 08-25-2008 12:57 PM

I'm not interested in jibber jabber from Cooley, Zorn or anyone else. Do some talking on the football field.

onlydarksets 08-25-2008 01:20 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;467526]His brother posts some stuff but for the most part I think CC really does update it.[/quote]
I wonder how the coaches/management feels about CC making comments like this to the public on his own? I don't disagree with anything he said, but typically teams like to speak through their coaches, post-game interviews notwithstanding.

BDBohnzie 08-25-2008 02:23 PM

I'd imagine that the Redskins have signed off on his blog, and that they are willing to pull the plug on items they don't agree with (IE 2007 Rookies video that was very short-lived last week...which was hilarious!).

Cooley is definitely a straight-shooter, speaks his mind sort of guy. He's just a kid trying to get paid and have fun (if you haven't already, go watch Chris vs. On-Star video...)

onlydarksets 08-25-2008 02:56 PM

I did - that was hilarious!

doughtydoubter 08-26-2008 11:15 AM

Cooley is hardcore. Our team was just paying not to get hurt...bottom line, i attribute that soft performance of the ol soley on that.

JoeRedskin 08-26-2008 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=SouperMeister;467522]That game reminded me of the NE pre-season blowout a couple years back. [/QUOTE]

Except that after that blow-out, the team as a whole said "Oh don't worry, it's just preseason - we weren't really playing. We'll be fine in the opener."

The attitude this time is [I]completely[/I] different. I have yet to hear one person (player or coach) play this off as an aberration. They were embarrassed, know they were embarrased, and don't want it to happen again.

doughtydoubter 08-26-2008 11:59 AM

I heard someone say on the radio....Zorn needed to learn what it was like to win..and he did it going 3-0...but he also needed to learn what it was like to get beat too. How to face the criticism and pull the team with a bad taste in its mouth out of the fire

WaldSkins 08-26-2008 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=doughtydoubter;467874]I heard someone say on the radio....Zorn needed to learn what it was like to win..and he did it going 3-0...but he also needed to learn what it was like to get beat too. How to face the criticism and pull the team with a bad taste in its mouth out of the fire[/QUOTE]

I love your Screenname

WaldSkins 08-26-2008 06:23 PM

Does anyone know where you can get that Chris Cooley tucker hat. The only ones Ive seen are autographed and id like to get one that wasnt so i could actually wear it.

BDBohnzie 08-27-2008 10:36 AM

Go on the website and contact them. I'd be willing to bet they would be able to sell you one sans autograph...

Skinz4life 08-27-2008 12:55 PM

I have read a bunch of different players blog and CC's is by far the best because he doesn't pull any punches. I love being able to read a players true insight into whats going on.

GMScud 08-27-2008 01:48 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;467502]Or maybe it was a case of a team getting too cocky. Zorn said they had one of their best practices leading up to the game. Or maybe it was just a case of a team coming out flat for whatever reason and getting their butts kicked. Who knows really. I'm sure Zorn is searching for the same answer.[/quote]

All the interviews I saw throughout camp, all the players and coaches seemed really loose and relaxed. Maybe a little too much. It's a delicate balancing act. Gibbs was very terse and ran a tight ship, and you rarely saw anything but very serious attitudes from the players and coaches (save for Clinton's characters). I think the Carolina game was a good smack in the face. And groin. And stomach... Yeah, we got punked.

But it was a good wake up for us, and I think with the quality of our locker room chemistry and veteran leadership, we'll re-focus and turn it into a positive. I think we come out hungry and crisp in New York next week. They're reeling with the Osi injury, especially with Strahan snubbing them. And the way Peppers used Samuels last weekend, I'm glad Osi won't be in there.

SmootSmack 08-27-2008 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=GMScud;468247]All the interviews I saw throughout camp, all the players and coaches seemed really loose and relaxed. Maybe a little too much. It's a delicate balancing act. Gibbs was very terse and ran a tight ship, and you rarely saw anything but very serious attitudes from the players and coaches (save for Clinton's characters). I think the Carolina game was a good smack in the face. And groin. And stomach... Yeah, we got punked.

But it was a good wake up for us, and I think with the quality of our locker room chemistry and veteran leadership, we'll re-focus and turn it into a positive. I think we come out hungry and crisp in New York next week. They're reeling with the Osi injury, especially with Strahan snubbing them. And the way Peppers used Samuels last weekend, I'm glad Osi won't be in there.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of playing the Giants when he have them "right where we want them"

Four years ago we had them right where we wanted them when they had internal strife of Coughlin's "If you're on time, you're late" meeting rule...and we lost

Three years ago we had them right where we wanted them when they were reeling over the death of owner Wellington Mara...and we lost

Last year we had them right where we wanted them when they got destroyed in the first two games of the season and the defense couldn't stop anyone...and we lost

MTK 08-27-2008 02:14 PM

Yeah I think this supposed demise of the Giants is seriously overblown. While I don't see them going back to the SB, I think last year they just got hot at the right time, but they will definitely be a contender in the East.

Hog1 08-27-2008 02:21 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;468251]I'm not a fan of playing the Giants when he have them "right where we want them"

Four years ago we had them right where we wanted them when they had internal strife of Coughlin's "If you're on time, you're late" meeting rule...and we lost

Three years ago we had them right where we wanted them when they were reeling over the death of owner Wellington Mara...and we lost

Last year we had them right where we wanted them when they got destroyed in the first two games of the season and the defense couldn't stop anyone...and we lost[/quote]

That brings up a good point. Look at the condition of the Skins after Sean's death last year and the team results at season end. AND, if I recall correctly, a couple of those Giant losses were pretty good ass-kickin's

Defensewins 08-27-2008 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=FRPLG;467474]Part of me wonders if our lack luster performance was due in part to our preseason being so long. When Cooley admits that he hasn't looked forward to practice for weeks its a clue that maybe we just didn't show up. I guess I am hoping that is the case. The alternative is that we just suck.[/QUOTE]

It could also be that the Panthers were the first good team we have faced and you are only as good as the teams you play. The Jets and Bills do not scare anyone. I do not care if Farve is the QB, the Jets and Bills will not be winning the 2008 Superbowl. THe colts were with out thier MVP QB and several starters including Defensive MVP's Bob Sander and Dwight Freenney.
Panthers are a good team now with their new additons and the return to health of some of their players. We do not measure up yet to the elite teams in the NFL. Our lines are old and not very good. You win up front. We draft WR's and Te's.

GMScud 08-27-2008 08:54 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;468251]I'm not a fan of playing the Giants when he have them "right where we want them"

Last year we had them right where we wanted them when they got destroyed in the first two games of the season and the defense couldn't stop anyone...and we lost[/quote]

Good points. Although I don't think we have them right where we want them. Playing the Super Bowl champs on the road, in New York no less, on the NFL opening night with a rookie head coach is NOT having someone right where you want them.

But, I do think they've had a rough offseason, lost some key guys, now Osi... When looking at this game, I'd say we have a better chance than I would have estimated 6 months ago. That being said, I'd say they have a better chance for a W than we do next Thursday.

I don't seem to remember them reeling when Wellington Mara died. They had a nice tribute and the players looked up to him, but he was almost 90 and had been sick for a while, so they knew it was coming. Not to downplay how sad it was, but it wasn't a sudden shocker like Sean's murder. I remember when the national anthem was playing they showed the faces of the Giants players on the sideline, and I knew right then we were gonna lose that game. The focus and determination was plain as day.