Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ESPN NFL Preview: Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24777)

SmootSmack 08-27-2008 02:25 PM

ESPN NFL Preview: Redskins

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/team?team=was]ESPN - Team Preview: Washington Redskins - NFL[/url]

Ruhskins 08-27-2008 02:34 PM

Re: ESPN NFL Preview: Redskins

Interesting that they didn't mention anything about the Safeties as a weakness, given that according to some people here Reed Doughty will single-handely bring down the team. LOL.

Seriously though, I find it interesting that they mention WRs as a weakness, in a way agreeing with my point that we did not address our WR issue during the offseason. And I do wholeheartedly (sp?) agree with Scouts regarding our CBs. Out of our top 3 CBs, two of them are either injury prone (Springs) and coming from a major injury (Rogers). I hope fortune is on our side, and both of these guys stay healthy. I also would have included run-defense as a weakness...especially after the Carolina debacle.

mredskins 08-27-2008 02:37 PM

why for the life of me do they pick the Eagles second in the NFC East. They suck and have no one to throw to.

freddyg12 08-27-2008 02:39 PM

The media tide has really turned for our skins, not that it matters too much. Nobody is just bashing the danny et al.

I agree w/their assessments. While they pick us to finish last, they all state that it's a tough divison. One guy has us at #2 in the div, while Jeremy Green said we could win 3 other divisions but still picks us 4th in the nfc east.

bigSkinsfan61 08-27-2008 02:42 PM

yea all of em' but one say were going to be in last place...we shall see non-believers...Im almost ready for a 10-6 season after i picked 11-5 earlier in another post..its all in jasons hands...

MTK 08-27-2008 02:45 PM

Why isn't Jason Taylor listed as one of our top players?

Looks like his Scouts Inc profile hasn't even been updated. All I found was this

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 20 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: null

vaoutlaws2006 08-27-2008 02:46 PM

I've done pay too much attention to any of these so-called experts. I like us flying under the radar. I would agree though i cant believe they dont have our safeties as weakness. But hey lets keep one thing in mind...any given sunday...it comes down to execution in winning games.

MTK 08-27-2008 02:50 PM

Seems like most of the consensus here is, well someone has to finish 4th.

Brilliant.

Schneed10 08-27-2008 02:56 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;468269]Seems like most of the consensus here is, well someone has to finish 4th.

Brilliant.[/quote]

If there's one thing for certain in today's NFL it's that the conventional wisdom rarely comes true. Hopefully that bodes well for us here!

MTK 08-27-2008 02:59 PM

[quote=Schneed10;468271]If there's one thing for certain in today's NFL it's that the conventional wisdom rarely comes true. Hopefully that bodes well for us here![/quote]

Very true, and that's what is so frustrating about "expert predictions" at times. Why doesn't anyone take a chance?

Slingin Sammy 33 08-27-2008 03:12 PM

[quote=mredskins;468261]why for the life of me do they pick the Eagles second in the NFC East. They suck and have no one to throw to.[/quote]
Excellent secondary, solid overall Defense & OL, experienced and above average QB & HB, experienced Coaching staff. As much as I hate the Eagles, #2 in the division isn't a bad pick.

Schneed10 08-27-2008 03:18 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;468275]Excellent secondary, solid overall Defense & OL, experienced and above average QB & HB, experienced Coaching staff. As much as I hate the Eagles, #2 in the division isn't a bad pick.[/quote]

Yeah, when they have McNabb and Westbrook healthy they are a very tough team. When they're missing one or both of them, they kinda suck.

But going into this season both are healthy and looking good in preseason. They have to be considered a force until they show otherwise.

J. Spanky 08-27-2008 03:19 PM

lol, i just saw at si.com that they've picked the eagles to play the patriots in tampa. so now you KNOW philly's going 7-9.

i remember a couple years ago they had the panthers and dolphins pegged to go all the way. lmao. neither team has even sniffed the post-season since.

moral of the story: who cares what the 'experts' think. the players decide what happens on the field.

redsk1 08-27-2008 03:19 PM

These guys are no more expert than you or I. From an outsider view though, I don't see us being anywhere but 3rd or 4th in our division. Dallas and NY have to be the favorites.

Prior to the Carolina game, I was very optimistic this team could surprise alot of people, but now...not so sure what to expect.

mredskins 08-27-2008 03:21 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;468275]Excellent secondary, solid overall Defense & OL, experienced and above average QB & HB, experienced Coaching staff. As much as I hate the Eagles, #2 in the division isn't a bad pick.[/quote]

You are forgetting the age of that team at key postions. Plus you can have the best QB but with no one to throw to what good is he. You don't think people will be stacking the box on Westbrook this season.

freddyg12 08-27-2008 03:27 PM

I think they picked us last cause we're the team w/the most unknowns, new coach, new offense, etc.

All the others in the div. are more of a known commodity. I think the giants are getting a pass cause they're the champs, but look at what they lost through free agency, retirement & injury. They are definitely my choice for #4, will be lucky to win 8.

redsk1 08-27-2008 03:33 PM

[quote=mredskins;468281]You are forgetting the age of that team at key postions. Plus you can have the best QB but with no one to throw to what good is he. You don't think people will be stacking the box on Westbrook this season.[/quote]

We've been trying to stop Westbrook every game, but yet he kills us, every game. Last year, they virtually had no talent, and the only one we had to stop, BW. We couldn't do it.

saden1 08-27-2008 03:35 PM

[QUOTE]Something just doesn't seem right about the way Jim Zorn got the head coaching job.[/QUOTE]

That's what passes for analysis these days?

skinsfan69 08-27-2008 03:36 PM

Within the division we probably have the worst QB, a new head coach, a suspect front 7, injury prone cb's, average wr's, a new offense to learn, our best player was killed and his replacment is playing terrible and our o-line had been getting beat pretty bad in pass protection in pre season games. And in the one pre season game where it's a dress rehersal for the regular season we got the living crap beat out of us by an average football team. I'd say every single expert is correct in picking us 4th.

redskinsgirl 08-27-2008 03:46 PM

Actually Eli Manning would be the worst QB in the division based on 07 regular season stats. I do think the question marks has to do with a new head coach who has never been a head coach. I think if Gibbs was still head coach or Zorn had coaching experience they would have the skins finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division.

MTK 08-27-2008 03:48 PM

[quote=saden1;468285]That's what passes for analysis these days?[/quote]

Wish I could land a gig like that.

That Guy 08-27-2008 04:11 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;468290]Wish I could land a gig like that.[/quote]

you know who to talk to....

JWsleep 08-27-2008 04:13 PM

What did you expect? I could have predicted this article almost word for word. Blah.

Skinsfan69 is right about what these "experts" are thinking. I myself don't agree, but that's how it stacks up on paper. Thank god we actually get to PLAY the games!

As for the iggles, they will be good on D, McNabb will make some big plays, as usual. But Westbrook is the key. Stopping him is tough, no doubt, but that's the gameplan for every team the iggles play. More of a concern for them, I think, is Westbrook's durability. If he goes down, they fall off pretty dramatically. And he's been hurt quite a bit.

I'm certainly not sold on the gints. They'll win some games in their usual lack-luster way, pissing us all off as usual. But they are not sneaking up on anyone this year, and the D-line is not the same.

God I hate the cowroids.

WaldSkins 08-27-2008 04:23 PM

I just want us to fly under the radar and have a Tampa Rays season. Then the "experts" can change their tune and start kissing Zorns ass for being a great coach for turning JC into an elite QB.

Schneed10 08-27-2008 04:26 PM

[quote=mredskins;468281]You are forgetting the age of that team at key postions. Plus you can have the best QB but with no one to throw to what good is he. You don't think people will be stacking the box on Westbrook this season.[/quote]

How is that different from any other year when they didn't have TO on the roster?

When McNabb and Westbrook have been healthy, they've won games at about a 10-per-year clip, regardless of who's playing WR.

SmootSmack 08-27-2008 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;468290]Wish I could land a gig like that.[/QUOTE]

It's not as glamorous as you'd think. Though I did get to hang with LL Cool J today. It was like spending a day with BDBohnzie...I imagine

Schneed10 08-27-2008 04:29 PM

[quote=JWsleep;468302]What did you expect? I could have predicted this article almost word for word. Blah.

Skinsfan69 is right about what these "experts" are thinking. I myself don't agree, but that's how it stacks up on paper. Thank god we actually get to PLAY the games!

[B]As for the iggles, they will be good on D, McNabb will make some big plays, as usual. But Westbrook is the key. Stopping him is tough, no doubt, but that's the gameplan for every team the iggles play. More of a concern for them, I think, is Westbrook's durability. If he goes down, they fall off pretty dramatically. And he's been hurt quite a bit.[/B]

I'm certainly not sold on the gints. They'll win some games in their usual lack-luster way, pissing us all off as usual. But they are not sneaking up on anyone this year, and the D-line is not the same.

God I hate the cowroids.[/quote]

Good analysis on the Eagles, but Westbrook's injury history is deceiving. It seems like he always has a knee problem, and he's always listed as "questionable", yet he always plays. Look up his games played in his player profile at Yahoo. The last two seasons he's played 15 games.

He doesn't get enough credit in the national media for his toughness, just as Portis doesn't get enough credit for his blocking. Westbrook is a tough cookie.

BringBackJoeT 08-27-2008 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;468282]I think they picked us last cause we're the team w/the most unknowns, new coach, new offense, etc.

All the others in the div. are more of a known commodity. [B]I think the giants are getting a pass cause they're the champs, but look at what they lost through free agency, retirement & injury. They are definitely my choice for #4, will be lucky to win 8[/B].[/QUOTE]

I think these predictions were drawn up before Osi's injury (or is there very clear evidence to the contrary that I overlooked?). Osi was hardly the entire Giants team, but his injury represents a HUGE loss. So, given the almost unanimous position among these guys that the Redskins finish 4th only because of the overall strength of the division (i.e., that the talent-level separation within the division is short), I have to believe that ONE of these guys would have reconsidered his 4th place prediction if these were written after Saturday night.

JWsleep 08-27-2008 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;468306]Good analysis on the Eagles, but Westbrook's injury history is deceiving. It seems like he always has a knee problem, and he's always listed as "questionable", yet he always plays. Look up his games played in his player profile at Yahoo. The last two seasons he's played 15 games.

He doesn't get enough credit in the national media for his toughness, just as Portis doesn't get enough credit for his blocking. Westbrook is a tough cookie.[/QUOTE]

Good point--I guess it's all the "wonder if Westbrook will play" stuff you hear from the iggles each week. He's certainly a great player.

SkinzzFan 08-27-2008 06:27 PM

Something just doesn't seem right about that picture of Kevin Seifert...oh, it's his face.

Seriously, weren't the Skins picked to finish 4th last year too? They finished 9-7 and COULDA, SHOULDA, WOULDA won at least two more games (Green Bay, 1st Giants game, 2nd Eagles game, Buffalo...uugh). Granted they didn't, but no one expected them to even win 9, much less be in position to win a few more. (I realize they could have lost a couple games they actually won but I'm concentrating on the positives here...LOL). Just like a few of you said, that's why they play the games. I like nothing more than for people to doubt the Skins. How nice will it be when the Skins beat up the Giants up in NY, a place they normally struggle, Sep 4th? That's a discussion we WILL have on Sep 5th!!

HAIL!!

Gmanc711 08-27-2008 06:33 PM

Of course everyone is going to pick us to finish last, but if you read some of the writeups on it, they're basically saying were going to be the Eagles of last year. A team that finishes about 8-8, who will miss the playoffs by a game or so, and would have won just about any other division in the league, bla bla bla. Who cares? They all picked NY to finish last , last season. They all picked us to finish last in 2005, whatever. This means absolutley nothing until December. I could see us finishing in any slot to be honest, I guess I can understand where a lot of these guys are coming from, but I still dont understand all the love for Philadelphia..

skins86fan 08-27-2008 06:51 PM

i agree with one person jermey green !!!!!!!

Slingin Sammy 33 08-27-2008 06:53 PM

No matter what happens on O, their D will keep them in every game. Don't get me wrong, I hope they go down like the Titantic, but for a pre-season analysis, they have less question marks and less weaknesses than us and the Giants.

GusFrerotte 08-27-2008 10:58 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;468269]Seems like most of the consensus here is, well someone has to finish 4th.

Brilliant.[/quote]

When aren't we picked to finish 4th is my question. In recent memory, we are lucky if a preseason mag pegs us at 3rd place in the division. No biggie, but these mags usually are right about where we end up.

Jacobylookalike 08-28-2008 10:11 AM

We will know soon enough. Giants chances in the division depend on a good start as their schedule is brutal later on. If the Skins can hang in there through the first five games they will be spending every night, except 2 or 3, in their own beds from 10/6 - 11/22. In December, though 3 of 4 are on the road the 3 are the NFL weak vying for high draft picks.

What I get, but don't think is fair, is how the Cowboys schedule is written. However, we are well aware of the skins gripe: games 1, 4, and 5 on the road in division then 11, 13, 16 home (good spacing). Eagles have a similar predicament: good spacing with 2-away, 5-home, and 10-home then 14 and 16 away, with Browns at home in between, finalized by 17 at home. NY got the worst: Redskins at home opening night then 9-home, 10-away, 13-away, 14-home, and 15-away.

And in the new NFL, where division games bear greater meaning because there are less of them and therefore playoff placement rides on their results, the 2007 Division winning
Cowboys are 'saddled' with this:
2 and 4 at home, 9 and 11 on the road (don't worry! there's a Bye week in between them) then 15-home, the challenging Ravens at home, then probably meaningless 17-away. So, every team in the division gets at least one back-to-back division scheduling except the Cowboys?

KLHJ2 08-28-2008 10:20 AM

I hate these things. Everyone thinks that they know, but they don't know. I pick the skins to finish anywhere but last in the division. Whatever

It's not where the writers start you, it's what your record is when you finish.

GTripp0012 08-28-2008 10:34 AM

It doesn't make a lot of sense that everyone (save Yasinskas and Wikersham) at ESPN.com thinks the Cowboys are going to win the division. You can make an argument for all four teams, but apparently, no one really wants to.

I think if you (or ESPN.com, or SI.com) are going to release a consensus predictions article, you should force someone to make arguments for other teams in the division (unless you are picking the Patriots and Chargers...where no one is even close to challenging them). Otherwise, what's the point? Just so you give people something to come back to when you're wrong.

Why do I need to go to ESPN or SI to find out that a lot of people think the Cowboys will be good? Anyone?

For the record, I think consensus picks from like ten experts is a good thing to read...but not if they all talk to each other on a daily basis and largely think the same way.

SKINSnCANES 08-28-2008 11:11 AM

If I were a writer I would pick us to finish 4th too....

We are in the toughest division in football.

We have a rookie head coach calling plays for the first time

We have a new system to run on offense

We lost our defensive cordinator

Two of our top picks were receivers which usually have little impact...and receiver is a position we were hurting with last year.

Honestly there more reasons to assume, as a writer, that we will have a growing year this year but have long term potential.

But with that beign said. Were going 19-0 ;)

doughtydoubter 08-28-2008 01:03 PM

This division is the toughest. It always is every year.
I predict we wil be third or fourth in it this year based on a few things
1. the tough beginning sched and we dont look "ready"
2. the doughty experiment...im soory i know it seems biased...but he is the weakest player on d.
3. the fact that it jut wouldnt be a washingtong redskins season if we didnt have near win games that resulted in heart attacks, anger and strife for its fans. The angst weve grown to feel over the past 15 years...it has become redskins football. This is our MO

mcarey032 08-28-2008 01:59 PM

I don't think that NY is going to be all that great this year. They have some injuries and needs that need to filled. There is some chaos with AP wanting a new contract as well as Plaxico Burress wanting a new deal as well. I think that we finish better than the Giants.

The eagles are a decent team, but they are missing some players on offense to be a real threat. I think that we are better than the eagles.

The Cowboys are probably the best team in our division and they aren't missing a whole lot. They have good skill position players and they have a really good defense. The thing with them is that their skill position players are really old and they didn't really do anything to add depth at the WR position.

1.) cowboys (unfortunately)
2.) Redskins (me being a homer)
3.) Eagles ( I don't really see what all the underrated hype is about?)
4.) Giants (Missing secondary, DE, unhappiness about money, etc.)