Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Victims of an extended preseason? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24824)

Paintrain 08-29-2008 10:10 AM

Victims of an extended preseason?

JC said something last night to Adam Schefter that was purely out of character for him and made me take another look at the past 2 weeks. Schefter asked him if he was concerned about the offense, JC replied with essentially 'Man, we're just ready for the regular season to begin.' If you think about it, it's been almost 7 weeks of practicing and 5 meaningless games, how difficult is it to get mentally 'checked in' for something you know has virtually no meaning?

The goal of most if not all NFL teams is to emerge from the preseason with no major injuries that impact your teams season, we've done that. The Giants lost Osi, the Eagles lost Kevin Curtis, we've been quite fortunate that Taylor should play (at least some) on next Thursday.

It's not excusing the pathetic performance of the offense last week or the 7 plays they had this week, but can we leave the seal on the panic button until at least Week 2?

MTK 08-29-2008 10:19 AM

Re: Victims of an extended preseason?

[quote=Paintrain;469122]JC said something last night to Adam Schefter that was purely out of character for him and made me take another look at the past 2 weeks. Schefter asked him if he was concerned about the offense, JC replied with essentially 'Man, we're just ready for the regular season to begin.' If you think about it, it's been almost 7 weeks of practicing and 5 meaningless games, how difficult is it to get mentally 'checked in' for something you know has virtually no meaning?

The goal of most if not all NFL teams is to emerge from the preseason with no major injuries that impact your teams season, we've done that. The Giants lost Osi, the Eagles lost Kevin Curtis, we've been quite fortunate that Taylor should play (at least some) on next Thursday.

[B]It's not excusing the pathetic performance of the offense last week or the 7 plays they had this week, but can we leave the seal on the panic button until at least Week 2[/B]?[/quote]

Good points but I'd leave the panic button in the closet until at least halfway through the season.

Just to elaborate on your post I honestly don't think you can take much stock in the preseason. The focus of playing the games is not to win, it's to evaluate players. Therefore the play calling is different, and there is little game planning.

The Skins have definitely had a long preseason and I think that their focus shifted to the regular season weeks ago.

Do I have my concerns? Sure. But they were concerns that existed before the Panthers game.

Paintrain 08-29-2008 10:23 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;469126][b]Good points but I'd leave the panic button in the closet until at least halfway through the season.[/b]

Just to elaborate on your post I honestly don't think you can take much stock in the preseason. The focus of playing the games is not to win, it's to evaluate players. Therefore the play calling is different, and there is little game planning.

The Skins have definitely had a long preseason and I think that their focus shifted to the regular season weeks ago.

Do I have my concerns? Sure. But they were concerns that existed before the Panthers game.[/quote]
I agree, but I was trying to be realistic about the panicked masses.

EternalEnigma21 08-29-2008 10:30 AM

I am a little concerned about our starting offense. I don't want to see the miscues and 3/outs and shotty pass protection carry over.

firstdown 08-29-2008 11:01 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;469126]Good points but I'd leave the panic button in the closet until at least halfway through the season.

Do I have my concerns? Sure. But they were concerns that existed before the Panthers game.[/quote]
Well if neither team is game planning doesn't that make it a level playing field and just lets the players play football.

Redskins_P 08-29-2008 11:03 AM

I really hope that both Zorn and Blache were both playing close to their vest and not showing anything. Especially Blache. Is it just me or did our defense look real vanilla?

I'm not panicing at all, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. Hopefully the offense will pick up as the season progresses.

Warren85Ellard 08-29-2008 11:33 AM

Zorn mentioned in last night's press conference that the starters were only on the field for seven drives (if you want to call them that) over the past two games. Can you really gather much from seven drives? True, they looked awful against Carolina, but they came out flat and the Panthers brought their best. I guess I can accept that in preseason. Against the Jaguars, the O-line looked much better in pass protection and Campbell's interception was Devin Thomas's fault. Cooley dropped a pass too. Both were well thrown balls. What I'm most concerned about are Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelley. Despite the extended preseason, we've seen nothing out of either of them. Can Thomas get open? Every time McMullen or Mann caught a pass, I was hoping that it was Devin Thomas, so I could say "Hey, now he's showing something." Are Kelley's knees ever going to be o.k.? Zorn seemed frustrated with either him or his injury situation. Does Kelley want to play football? Is he another Brandon Llloyd? Is Thomas another Taylor Jacobs? How much homework was done on these guys?
Damn, am I panicking??

saden1 08-29-2008 11:36 AM

Perhaps victims of a 6 and 10 team?

riggins44 08-29-2008 11:37 AM

I believe the Panthers did have a game plan in place.

MTK 08-29-2008 11:38 AM

[quote=Warren85Ellard;469183]Zorn mentioned in last night's press conference that the starters were only on the field for seven drives (if you want to call them that) over the past two games. Can you really gather much from seven drives? True, they looked awful against Carolina, but they came out flat and the Panthers brought their best. I guess I can accept that in preseason. Against the Jaguars, the O-line looked much better in pass protection and Campbell's interception was Devin Thomas's fault. Cooley dropped a pass too. Both were well thrown balls. [B]What I'm most concerned about are Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelley. Despite the extended preseason, we've seen nothing out of either of them. Can Thomas get open? Every time McMullen or Mann caught a pass, I was hoping that it was Devin Thomas, so I could say "Hey, now he's showing something." Are Kelley's knees ever going to be o.k.? Zorn seemed frustrated with either him or his injury situation. Does Kelley want to play football? Is he another Brandon Llloyd? Is Thomas another Taylor Jacobs? How much homework was done on these guys?[/B]
[B]Damn, am I panicking[/B]??[/quote]

Ummm yeah big time.

They're two rookies who didn't even get through a full camp because of injuries, so of course they are behind schedule.

Ruhskins 08-29-2008 11:52 AM

I think the team is catching heat and I think the coaches and players are concerned about their performance...I could be completely wrong but during the last preseason there were TONS of excuses, esp from the coaches regarding their poor performance in the offseason. I remember someone saying that they did not want to open up the playbook during the offseason. However, once the season started, we saw the same crap they had done during the offseason. So I hope this year is a bit better....but well we'll only know after the game next thurs. against the g-men.

BleedBurgundy 08-29-2008 12:27 PM

[quote=saden1;469186]Perhaps victims of a 6 and 10 team?[/quote]

Sounds about right- not due to the final two games of the preseason, but due to the Rookie head coach and new system on both sides of the ball. Expecting anything more than 8 wins is extremely optimistic imho.

JWsleep 08-29-2008 12:29 PM

I do think this is part of the problem--lots of the mistakes out there were mental and effort issues. Now, you never want to see that and obviously Zorn was very upset by it. But that's the kind of thing that can come from the lack of focus after a long camp. In the NFL, it's all about momentum and mindset--I do think they will be better and more fired up next week.

About the playbook: it was vanilla on both sides. And on D they basically exposed their DBs to see how they would handle it (Zorn said as much in his post game presser). It will be better next week.

I have two big worries, though. How much better is better? Will we just be competitive or can we score some points, hit some big plays, and win some games in tight 4th quarters? We have NOT proven that at all and that's not just something you "turn on," at least not for this bunch. You have to develop that by actually winning some games with the teammates and playbook and coaches you have NOW. That's why this season is a question mark, and that's why we need to be patient.

My second worry is related: where are our LEADERS on this team? Where are the guys who will step up and make the game-changing play when it's all on the line? I'm not saying we don't have guys who can do it, but they need to do it with this team and these coaches. We need leaders on the field who can make the play that shifts the momentum in a game. Until I see that on the field from this bunch, I remain concerned.

I'm not panicking by a long shot, but this bunch has to show me something when it counts.

hail_2_da_skins 08-29-2008 12:32 PM

The reason for the preseason is to prepare the team for the regular season and player evaluation. So let's evaluate the 2008 Draft Picks.

[B]WR Devin Thomas[/B] - Has shown nothing so far. Players with lesser ability (Maurice Mann, Billy McMullen) are getting open and making catches. He is not getting any separation and when he does get his hands on the ball, he is not catching it. I expect more out of the first pick in the draft.

[B]TE Fred Davis[/B] - Looks very good. A very solid player that is making plays on offense and special teams. He is going to help the team right away.

[B]WR Malcolm Kelly [/B]- Incomplete. Can't evaluate until I see him play.

[B]OL Chad Rinehart[/B] - Good lineman. He will provide much needed depth on the offensive line.

[B]CB Justin Tryon[/B] - Undersized and overmatched. He looks like the biggest bust in the 2008 draft.

[B]P Durant Brooks[/B] - It's rare that a NFL team will use a draft pick on a punter. It's even worse when that punter might not win the job. If that happens, it's a wasted pick. Coach Zorn hasn't selected his starting punter yet, so I will save my judgment until then. Brooks has looked good in preseason and I prefer that the team keep him.

[B]DB Kareem Moore[/B] - I am very impressed with his play. He may eventually be the starter before the year is over.

[B]QB Colt Brennan[/B] - All he does is make plays. He does not have the prettiest mechanics but he gets the job done. This was the steal of the draft. Working under coach Zorn, he may develop into a real gem.

[B]DE Rob Jackson[/B] - Looks good. Coach Zorn has a tough decision on which defensive ends make the 53 man roster. It's a toss up between Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson. If Rob Jackson is placed on the practice squad, another team will most likely pick him up.

[B]FS Chris Horton[/B] - He looks like he will make the 53 man roster. A solid player.

MTK 08-29-2008 12:43 PM

I'm having a hard time believing that Tryon is the biggest bust in the entire league.

JWsleep 08-29-2008 12:44 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;469247]I'm having a hard time believing that Tryon is the biggest bust in the entire league.[/quote]

Biggest bust in the redskins 2008 draft?

MTK 08-29-2008 12:47 PM

[quote=JWsleep;469249]Biggest bust in the redskins 2008 draft?[/quote]

I can buy that if that's what he meant.

FRPLG 08-29-2008 12:49 PM

I mentioned this after last week. It justs looks like we're going through the motions out there. Hell were dropping balls into the air for Safeties to pick. Cooley gets his ass rubbed and drops/fumbles a ball. JC has been just off in his throws. Our defense has lloked tired and uninterested. I by no means think our last two weeks mean nothing but I am somewhat confident that our play the last two weeks isn't indicative of total crapiness.

Beemnseven 08-29-2008 12:52 PM

I think we're all going to have to be patient with Devin Thomas. Not many rookie draft picks step right on to the field and blow everybody away. These things take time. And Kelly has been injured so it's not really fair to say anything about his ability to play one way or the other. You can talk about how prepared he was conditioning-wise, but let's not write these guys off just yet.

I've never understood how people can excuse the team's poor performance on being "tired" of the doldrums of preseason.

Why can't they look sharp and be tired of the preseason? It shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

MTK 08-29-2008 12:55 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;469263]I think we're all going to have to be patient with Devin Thomas. Not many rookie draft picks step right on to the field and blow everybody away. These things take time. And Kelly has been injured so it's not really fair to say anything about his ability to play one way or the other. You can talk about how prepared he was conditioning-wise, but let's not write these guys off just yet.

[B]I've never understood how people can excuse the team's poor performance on being "tired" of the doldrums of preseason.[/B]

[B]Why can't they look sharp and be tired of the preseason? It shouldn't be mutually exclusive[/B].[/quote]

Just talking in general, if you're tired/bored with something, what is more likely to happen. You give it 110% or you slack off?

mheisig 08-29-2008 12:56 PM

I prefer to have the panic button in hand with my thumb on the button with just enough pressure to take the slack out.

I would also enjoy having a panic button that is voice activated so if something where to impair my ability to physically press the button I could just scream and it would activate.

In the even that my voice is compromised, I would like a panic button that monitors my heart rate and is triggered when it either goes too high, too low or any combination of inconsistent extremes (e.g. Smoot gets his hands on an INT in our endzone but then drops it).

mheisig 08-29-2008 12:58 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;469263][B]Why can't they look sharp and be tired of the preseason? It shouldn't be mutually exclusive.[/B][/quote]

Human nature.

How often do you perform a task with excellence that completely bores you and carries the risk of an injury that could alter your career?

KLHJ2 08-29-2008 12:59 PM

Doesn't this whole thread contradict what the team said all last week about wanting to get back out there and redeem themselves?

Edit: I thnk that Campbell was trying to play down another sub par performance.

firstdown 08-29-2008 01:09 PM

Well if this team is not putting forth their best effort when on the field we have some big issues. Maybe we can point to some of CP comment or the comment CC made on his site about practice.

doughtydoubter 08-29-2008 01:44 PM

you know what? about tryon..little do we forget that corners typically take alot longer to develop in this league than at any other position except qb. Especially if you are not imbibed with the sick killa physical skills to start out with...look at carlos...he just now may be having his breakout year...look at trufant..it took him a minute. Im not saying tryon is the man..but im saying give him some time

MTK 08-29-2008 01:54 PM

[quote=firstdown;469287]Well if this team is not putting forth their best effort when on the field we have some big issues. Maybe we can point to some of CP comment or the comment CC made on his site about practice.[/quote]

Welcome to the preseason. I don't think you'd have any trouble finding 31 other teams that aren't playing to win this time of year, and therefore aren't putting out their best efforts on the field.

MTK 08-29-2008 01:55 PM

[quote=Angry;469276]Doesn't this whole thread contradict what the team said all last week about wanting to get back out there and redeem themselves?

Edit: I thnk that Campbell was trying to play down another sub par performance.[/quote]

Kinda tough to do in such limited time. 7 plays to be exact.

doughtydoubter 08-29-2008 01:56 PM

lets just rally behind jc...for the first 4 games..everybody stand strong behind our tall dark, athletic brother...when he falters...its time to put the shades on and play hawaii five o

Warren85Ellard 08-29-2008 02:16 PM

I'd love to be proven wrong, but these past two performances have to be indicative of something. These guys don't care that they've looked like complete shit?? If Zorn isn't satisfied, but the players are, that says something about their commitment to the coach. If our second teamers are getting their ass kicked by their second teamers, that says something about our depth. Again, it's the pre-season and tv interviews are basically a collection of cliches that don't provide anyone with the real story. I'm just hoping the Redskins are pissed and ready to f-up the Giants ring party next Thursday. ARRRGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

MTK 08-29-2008 02:58 PM

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/28/AR2008082803433.html"]Cooley says we should relax[/URL]

freddyg12 08-29-2008 03:11 PM

good observation & thread by paintrain

It makes sense to me, the team hit a point of burn out at the same has to play 2 more preseason games. I'm not worried about last night's offensive performance. Thomas is working his way into the mix & 2 of the plays he was in on were mishaps. Cooley got the ball knocked out of his hands, good play by the db. Campbell looked decent enough & they didn't get to him.

I'll take that & move on. I don't think the O looks great, but it's not as bad as it seems. The wr spot is still an issue IMO. And JLC is now reporting on Skins insider that Heyer might take Jansen's job. If so, he's got to step up for us. That side of the line might be a problem all year.

JWsleep 08-29-2008 03:12 PM

[quote=freddyg12;469384]good observation & thread by paintrain

It makes sense to me, the team hit a point of burn out at the same has to play 2 more preseason games. I'm not worried about last night's offensive performance. Thomas is working his way into the mix & 2 of the plays he was in on were mishaps. Cooley got the ball knocked out of his hands, good play by the db. Campbell looked decent enough & they didn't get to him.

I'll take that & move on. I don't think the O looks great, but it's not as bad as it seems. The wr spot is still an issue IMO. And JLC is now reporting on Skins insider that Heyer might take Jansen's job. If so, he's got to step up for us. That side of the line might be a problem all year.[/quote]

Nice post.

Miller101 08-29-2008 04:16 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;469320]you know what? about tryon..little do we forget that corners typically take alot longer to develop in this league than at any other position except qb. Especially if you are not imbibed with the sick killa physical skills to start out with...look at carlos...he just now may be having his breakout year...look at trufant..it took him a minute. Im not saying tryon is the man..but im saying give him some time[/quote]

I doubt that dude. Tryon was picked on hard during that game. He was picked on just about as much as we picked on Reeves of the Cowboys last year. I mean last night alone there were something like 10 balls thrown his way and he only knocked one of them down. All three of the touchdowns Jacksonville scored were against him. And...............not all the time, but they did throw his way several times when they were third and long. And again he only knocked one of them down.

I don't buy into the fact that he's developing. That guy is a bust. Let him go and hopefully the Cowboys will pick him up or something.

KWilly_2003 08-29-2008 04:32 PM

Look Pre-season is just that...Pre-season. Have the Skins looked good? Yes and no. Yet I'm going to hold judgment on them till after the first two games. Look, the season opens in NY with the SB champs. That is really hard for any team coming in on the road to go up against. I hope that the "real" skins fans understand that we will might lose this upcoming Thursday, and to not take it to heart. Unless it is 47-3 at the end, I don't want to hear any skins fan calling for Colt, or Todd or anything like that. I was at the game last night, and watched the fans boo the team. By the 3rd Q they were booing guys that wont even make the team! I watched them boo JC and cheer CB. Thats wrong....plain wrong, Colt may be a good QB one day but JC is our starter and people need to understand this. Put Colt in against the Giants Thur. Go ahead and see what happens, because something like that did happen to a guy wearing number 11 one time. For god sakes its just pre-season...give them a chance.

freddyg12 08-29-2008 05:18 PM

[quote=Miller101;469441]I doubt that dude. Tryon was picked on hard during that game. He was picked on just about as much as we picked on Reeves of the Cowboys last year. I mean last night alone there were something like 10 balls thrown his way and he only knocked one of them down. All three of the touchdowns Jacksonville scored were against him. And...............not all the time, but they did throw his way several times when they were third and long. And again he only knocked one of them down.

I don't buy into the fact that he's developing. That guy is a bust. Let him go and hopefully the Cowboys will pick him up or something.[/quote]

I don't know if I agree wholeheartedly w/you but I definitely think a rookie is expected to be better than what he's shown if he hopes to get playing time. A lot of rookie cb's can come in and play, there's just not ready to be man to man on the other team's top wr's.

So yes, I think Tryon is in danger of getting cut, but probably will be on the practice squad. Maybe the guy has the raw ability & they know it will take time to develop his technique. I hope so, cause I've seen plenty of db's play better as rookies. No one's expecting him to be a starter, just to get the confidence of the coaches that he can play nickel.

Warren85Ellard 08-29-2008 05:33 PM

Does Tryon play well on special teams?? I don't want to give up on him yet. I watched the ASU vs. California game from last year and he was all over Desean Jackson. He looked like a future pro. In four games, he has been [B]abused[/B] by opponents and hasn't done one thing on the field yet to make anyone say he deserves to be here, but I'm still a believer.

JWsleep 08-29-2008 06:04 PM

Practice squad him. It does take time to learn CB in the NFL. And I think they were trying to expose him the last few weeks. We'll see.

Beemnseven 08-29-2008 06:16 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;469269]Just talking in general, if you're tired/bored with something, what is more likely to happen. You give it 110% or you slack off?[/quote]

[quote=mheisig]Human nature.

How often do you perform a task with excellence that completely bores you and carries the risk of an injury that could alter your career?[/quote]

I don't know. Something tells me Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wouldn't approach the preseason with that sort of attitude. Hell, didn't Clinton Portis tell us that if he's on the field during preseason he goes out and gives it all he's got?

SouperMeister 08-29-2008 06:41 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;469247]I'm having a hard time believing that Tryon is the biggest bust in the entire league.[/quote]I think he meant the biggest bust of our draft. I just hope that it's Tryon and not the WR's we took high in the draft.

MTK 08-29-2008 06:49 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;469471]I don't know. Something tells me Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wouldn't approach the preseason with that sort of attitude. Hell, didn't Clinton Portis tell us that if he's on the field during preseason he goes out and gives it all he's got?[/quote]

Right, Brady doesn't even play and Manning plays about 3-4 plays.