Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Official Cut Day Discussion Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24843)

MTK 08-30-2008 12:45 PM

Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

[URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/cut_day.html"]Cut Day - Redskins Insider[/URL]

Hard to imagine anything too shocking coming out of the Skins cuts, and unless they actually do put Malcolm Kelly on IR then I suspect it will be a pretty mundane afternoon.

The punter battle remains the most interesting plotline (my hunch is Frost).
Marcus Mason got a lot of attention but I'm not sure he makes the final 53. His special teams play is not elite, after watching some tape he struggled in pass protection Thursday (and with all the 5-6 man protection schemes Zorn runs the backs have got to be able to hold it down in that regard). I think four backs is a luxury they might not be able to afford.

Todd Wade could make it despite missing all of camp, and Chris Wilson looks to be in good shape to me as well, especially with Jason Taylor iffy and Erasmus James coming off such a lengthy layoff.

Other than that the only guys who have been around here for a while and remain on the bubble are Boschetti, and well, maybe just Boschetti. It's impossible not to love the effort and will he puts forth, but I'm not sure he'll be able to stave off the turk this time around.

The official roster will be released later this afternoon/ early evening, and, upon digesting it, we will surely pontificate on it as well.

GMScud 08-30-2008 12:56 PM

Re: Official Cut Day Discussion Thread

I can't believe Malcolm Kelly may land on IR. We knew he had knee issues, we took him anyway, and now look. Shit.

When LaCanfora says his "hunch is Frost," does he mean his hunch is Frost will be the one who gets the ax?

WaldSkins 08-30-2008 12:58 PM

After thinking about it, I would rather carry someone like Mix over Mason just based on special teams play. As much as i think Mason could be a contributer to this team he is not going to take playing time being behind Portis and Betts. I would rather save that roster spot for someone who will actually contribute like Boshetti, Mix, Wlson.

Id have no problem if we kept Mason, but that means we would have to trade Betts.

WaldSkins 08-30-2008 12:59 PM

He means Brooks will be cut.

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 01:58 PM

I modified JLC's list a bit as my final guess:

Askew, Matthias DT
[B] Brooks, Durant P (made team)[/B]
Broughton, Nehemiah FB
Clark, Devin OL
Crummey, Andrew OL
Devine, Derek QB
Gant, Horace WR
Gatewood, Curtis LB
Ghee, Patrick S
Hamilton, Justin S
Holloway, David LB
Holt, Cedrick CB
Mann, Maurice WR
Mason, Marcus, RB
Matua, Fred OL
Tryon, Justin CB
Verdun-Wheeler, Danny LB
Wade, Todd OL
Washington, Tavares OL
Westbrook, Byron CB
Wilson, Chris DL

IR: Malcolm Kelly, WR

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 02:00 PM

Wade, Frost, and Mason are gone.

[URL="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/30/redskins-cut-wade-frost-mason/"]ProFootballTalk.com - REDSKINS CUT WADE, FROST, MASON[/URL]

So Brooks is in.

wilsowilso 08-30-2008 02:13 PM

I really really hope Frost is gone. I also think that there is no way Kelly goes on the IR. PUP is certainly a possibility, but IR is ridiculous.

skinsfan_nn 08-30-2008 02:19 PM

No surprise with the Wade and Frost move. A tiny bit surprised Mason didn't make it, even though it's awful hard keeping four RB's.....the kid seemed to be really strong. I would have liked to seen him have a shot. But we do have other more concerning needs, so I completely understand the move. He will find work.

Hog1 08-30-2008 02:21 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;469583]Wade, Frost, and Mason are gone.

[URL="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/30/redskins-cut-wade-frost-mason/"]ProFootballTalk.com - REDSKINS CUT WADE, FROST, MASON[/URL]

So Brooks is in.[/quote]

Frost needs to go. He's great until you really need him. At least there is some mystery as to whether Brooks will choke regularly or not.
I would hate to see Mason go. As MK has stated, hard to keep 4 backs. HOWEVER, Portis is getting nicked more often than he used to (at the ripe age of 28+--) sooooo..........

EXoffender 08-30-2008 02:24 PM

We'll keep Fincher and allocate Gatewood to the PS. He has good size and didn't do anything to hurt his chances.

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 02:26 PM

[quote=wilsowilso;469586]I really really hope Frost is gone. I also think that there is no way Kelly goes on the IR. PUP is certainly a possibility, but IR is ridiculous.[/quote]PUP isn't a possibility because he has to be placed on the list before his first practice. He practiced and dressed for the Jacksonville game, so either he goes on the 53 man and starts the year as one of the inactive 7, or he goes on IR, and someone else can be placed on the 53 man.

I would put him on the roster and cut Mix, because we can IR Kelly at any time, when someone that we need more comes available.

BugelDisciple 08-30-2008 02:45 PM

Frost is terrible in the clutch, so I hope Schefter's report is accurate about the punting competition. I hope the Redskins can find room for Mason somewhere because he had a great preseason, I think he is a future starting RB in the NFL.

GMScud 08-30-2008 02:56 PM

Frost just got cut. Good. Hate to think we drafted Brooks for nothing.

rypper11 08-30-2008 03:28 PM

Put Kelly on IR and keep McMullen and Mix. The way Thomas has looked this preseason he'll probably be one and done here and maybe a season on IR will help Kelly push to be a #4 WR next year.

JWsleep 08-30-2008 03:44 PM

Not sure why you're ready to call Thomas one and done. Sometimes it takes more than 2-3 preseason games and a short bit of training camp to get it going as WR in the NFL, particularly in the WCO.

Glad about Frost--hope the rook steps up. It's a big job, being holder as well.

Figured Wade was in trouble and Mason was a number thing (plus pass blocking in the WCO is crucial, and I think he's been shaky there).

BugelDisciple 08-30-2008 04:06 PM

According to theredskins blog:
[url=http://theredskinsblog.com/]The Official Blog of The Washington Redskins[/url]

The team has announced the players that are being released to meet the 53-man limit. Here’s the list, organized by position.

* QB Derek Devine
* RB Marcus Mason
* FB Nehemiah Broughton
* WR Maurice Mann
* WR Horace Gant
* WR Billy McMullen
* WR Anthony Mix
* DT Matthias Askew
* DT Ryan Boschetti
* T Devin Clark
* T Todd Wade
* T Tavares Washington
* G Andrew Crummey
* G Fred Matua
* LB Curtis Gatewood
* LB David Holloway
* LB Danny Verdun-Wheeler
* S Patrick Ghee
* CB Cedrick Holt
* CB Matterral Richardson
* CB Byron Westbrook
* P Derrick Frost

I don't understand how this is possible? I thought that McMullen was a lock to make the team-- and if he is cut, why did we cut Mix as well.

NM Redskin 08-30-2008 04:09 PM

Its official
[url=http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Decision_Day__Wade_Among_22_Cuts_By_Redskins_19885.jsp]Decision Day: Wade Among 22 Cuts By Redskins[/url]
Matthias Askew, DT
Ryan Boschetti, DT
Nehemiah Broughton, FB
Devin Clark, T
Andrew Crummey, G
Derek Devine, QB
Derrick Frost, P
Horace Gant, WR
Curtis Gatewood, LB
Patrick Ghee, S
David Holloway, LB
Cedrick Holt, CB
Maurice Mann, WR
Marcus Mason, RB
Fred Matua, G
Billy McMullen, WR
Anthony Mix, WR
Matteral Richardson, CB
Danny Verdun-Wheeler, LB
Todd Wade, T
Tavares Washington, T
Byron Westbrook, CB

JWsleep 08-30-2008 04:15 PM

Well McMullin is a bit of a surprise. I was thinking maybe Crummey would make it. Too bad about Boschetti--it was a numbers thing there. He worked his ass off for us.

We went with the draft picks in the end. This begs the question: how much input on the roster did Vinny have? Did he overrule folks here? Hope the coaches got the folks they wanted.

WaldSkins 08-30-2008 04:16 PM

Zorn said yestarday that Mcmullen was a lock. Whats up with that?

BugelDisciple 08-30-2008 04:20 PM

They must be pretty confident that Kelly will make a speedy recovery, otherwise the WR cuts make no sense.

JWsleep 08-30-2008 04:21 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;469607]Zorn said yestarday that Mcmullen was a lock. Whats up with that?[/quote]

Well, he didn't quite say that. I think Jlac said that after listening to Zorn. But it's a surprise all the same--Billy played well for us, and we've got injuries there.

Redskins_P 08-30-2008 04:24 PM

Hopefully this day ends the lovefest with Mix.

NM Redskin 08-30-2008 04:26 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;469607]Zorn said yestarday that Mcmullen was a lock. Whats up with that?[/quote]

No, JLC said Mcmullen was a lock. Check out the presser.

redskins5044 08-30-2008 04:30 PM

i dont understand the wr spot. if kelly is hurt and dont know when he can play and thomas slow in learning the offense. we still dont have a big WR to go to. McMullen at least played well in the preseason and is a big veteran WR i just dont understand.

skinsfan_nn 08-30-2008 04:31 PM

After Mix missing time with injuries and not performing very well, no surprise hes out.

I am surprised at the Billy McMullen move I really thought he earned a spot, and as stated earlier it would have been a luxury to have room for Mason but its a numbers game and no way four RB's where staying.

And Ryan Boschetti will be back eventually.....like always

And they kept Justin Tyron....? Bad Move!

Other than that no surprises.

BugelDisciple 08-30-2008 04:34 PM

I wonder if Vinny's ego had a factor in the WR cuts. After the way McMullen played this preseason there is no way he deserved to be cut.

JWsleep 08-30-2008 04:35 PM

Maybe we go after a vet WR? It feels a bit thin there with the injured rooks. I wouldn't be surprised if we do, in which case I think Wilson or Jackson is on the bubble.

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 04:37 PM

Justin Hamilton is the one really big surprise here. It's very surprising that he stayed on at the expense of another skill position player. Only 8 RB/WRs surprised us all.

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 04:38 PM

[quote=skinsfan_nn;469615]And they kept Justin Tyron....? Bad Move! [/quote]Why?

Don't you want to give a guy a chance to be the player you think he can be?

wilsowilso 08-30-2008 04:42 PM

How did we keep Tryon over McMullen? That's a headscratcher.

skinsfan_nn 08-30-2008 04:44 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;469619]Why?

Don't you want to give a guy a chance to be the player you think he can be?[/quote]

You need more reasons than he just flat out sucks...?

I'd rather not, I've seen enough of the player he already is. He can talk, he just can't walk!

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 04:46 PM

[quote=skinsfan_nn;469622]You need more reasons than he just flat out sucks...?

I'd rather not, I've seen enough of the player he already is. He can talk, he just can't walk![/quote]Everyone flat out sucks when they begin.

Carlos Rogers sucked two years ago. Now, he's on the verge of becoming a top CB.

dall-assblows 08-30-2008 04:55 PM

carlos rogers is still soft in my opinion. average at best

GoSkins! 08-30-2008 04:57 PM

I thought that most of the draft picks would make the team, but all 10 made it. Cudos to Vinny Cerrato! Thats 20% of the active roster. Pretty unbelievable IMO.

EXoffender 08-30-2008 04:57 PM

[quote=JWsleep;469617]Maybe we go after a vet WR? It feels a bit thin there with the injured rooks. I wouldn't be surprised if we do, in which case I think Wilson or Jackson is on the bubble.[/quote]I liked McMullen. Thrash should've been cut.

EXoffender 08-30-2008 04:59 PM

[quote=wilsowilso;469621]How did we keep Tryon over McMullen? That's a headscratcher.[/quote]
We have time to develop Tryon.

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 04:59 PM

[quote=dall-assblows;469625]carlos rogers is still soft in my opinion. average at best[/quote]I don't know about soft, he was ALWAYS strong vs. the run. I don't know what your definition of soft is, but to me at least, any CB that will come up and hit in the running game isn't soft. His hands, of course, are anything but soft.

Carlos was very bad at coverage his first two seasons, but he showed good signs last year, and had a much better preseason then anyone thought he was capable of given his injury.

dmvskinzfan08 08-30-2008 05:02 PM

[quote=JWsleep;469617]Maybe we go after a vet WR? It feels a bit thin there with the injured rooks. I wouldn't be surprised if we do, in which case I think Wilson or Jackson is on the bubble.[/quote]

I think we might pick up a LB..we need another WR to fill in until Kelly comes back. I am happy Hamilton made the team.

GTripp0012 08-30-2008 05:02 PM

Yeah, one thing I agree with is that by Week 2, this team is going to add some veteran help, probably at WR. I can't think of any other reason why they would cut Mason, but only keep 5 WRs.

dmvskinzfan08 08-30-2008 05:04 PM

I think some of these suprise cuts happened because they kept more D-Lineman than expected. Rob Jackson and Erasmus James and we kept Evans and Wilson. Why did we keep Tryon???????????????!!!!!??? (Did they not see the games he played in and how he was scored on a picked on constantly)