Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   D Tackles: Nose vs. Three Technique (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24950)

MTK 09-03-2008 08:12 PM

D Tackles: Nose vs. Three Technique

Good read:

A lot of people just kind of figure that defensive tackles are all the same. When they watch the Redskins they know there are two of them down there in the middle of the muckity-muck, and that's about it.

But in reality the duties are different in the Skins system. The Redskins lack a real heavyweight, Sam Adams-type of two-gap nose tackle. They haven't had a guy like that for a long time. Instead, their linemen are generally a little more limber and little more versatile, but there are definite differences between the two tackle spots.

LINK: [URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/09/d_tackles_-_nose_vs_three_tech.html#more"]D Tackles: Nose vs. Three Technique - Redskins Insider[/URL]

The Goat 09-04-2008 01:26 AM

Re: D Tackles: Nose vs. Three Technique

Impressive, if brief, article. I def liked hearing about Alexander's versatility and strong showing up to now.

The one question it brings up in my mind is double-team scenarios. It said Golston and Montgomery typically get doubled because of their size and power - honestly, I haven't noticed this very much but let's just go along w/ it. On the other hand I have noticed doubles on AC in the past, and I think we can bet the farm JT will see doubles. Altogether this would lead me to believe our starting rotation should equal some serious pass rush. Ok then, question is why haven't we seen it up to this point?

WillH 09-04-2008 01:48 AM

I didn't really get to watch the preseason games as closely as Id like to have, but it seems to me we're getting a little bit more pressure on the QB then we did the last few seasons. Even from our young guys.

Others argued during the post season that we didnt need a new DE but a new DT that could collapse the pocket. It will be interesting to see if Jason Taylor can do the opposite for us and allow the DT's we have make more plays as QB's step up. This could be huge for our D; we could be elite, but then again a few key injuries and this D would be porous as hell.

Dirtbag59 09-04-2008 04:11 AM

It's also worth noting that there are variations in philosophies. For example the Ravens used to Nose types during their Super Bowl run to keep blockers off Ray Lewis in Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa. No one is going to mistake either one of those guys as the prototypical 3 technique.

I also think I've seen teams ocassionally use two 3 technique types on passing situations. The Giants and Justin Tuck might be one of the better examples of this type of personel package. In fact we have a poor mans Justin Tuck on our team in Demetric Evans and originally one in Philip Daniels. Kevin Carter is another example of this type of DT/DE hybrid.

onlydarksets 09-04-2008 07:44 AM

Wow - first good post by JLC in a while.

Slingin Sammy 33 09-04-2008 11:09 AM

[quote=The Goat;471108]The one question it brings up in my mind is double-team scenarios. It said Golston and Montgomery typically get doubled because of their size and power - honestly, I haven't noticed this very much but let's just go along w/ it. On the other hand I have noticed doubles on AC in the past, and I think we can bet the farm JT will see doubles. Altogether this would lead me to believe our starting rotation should equal some serious pass rush. Ok then, question is why haven't we seen it up to this point?[/quote]
Not a bad article by JLC, better than the one where he was talking about 4WR & 2TE sets.

The Skins play primarily a 4-3 defense . In a four man front the terminology of a NT is also called a 1. The numbers for the DTs come from the position where they line up in relation to the Guards. A 1 technique is inside shoulder (or what the Skins call the NT) a 2 would be head-up and a 3 outside shoulder.

In a formation that is strong to the right, the 1 (or NT) lines up on the inside shoulder of the LG and the 3 lines up on the outside shoulder of the RG. Because of where the 1 lines up he often gets double teamed from the LG & C. The 3 is not normally going to see a double team on passing downs, inside runs or runs away from his side. On any off-tackle or outside runs to his side the RT may block down on the 3. So if you have a 3 that can rush the passer, he is one-on-one with the RG, if he wins that battle consistently it's a huge help to the DEs and will force the offense to hold in extra personnel for protection.

If things work out for us, we have three legit pass rushers; AC, JT and Griffin (our 3). You can't double team more than one without keeping a back or TE in. This should help our secondary a great deal. If AC & JT hold up against the run and we stay healthy, we should be a top-level D this year.

A true NT is used in a 3-man front and he sits head-up over the C and is expected to force a double team from one G or the other or collapse the pocket by driving the C into the backfield.

Ruhskins 09-04-2008 11:41 AM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;471207]Not a bad article by JLC, better than the one where he was talking about 4WR & 2TE sets.

The Skins play primarily a 4-3 defense . In a four man front the terminology of a NT is also called a 1. The numbers for the DTs come from the position where they line up in relation to the Guards. A 1 technique is inside shoulder (or what the Skins call the NT) a 2 would be head-up and a 3 outside shoulder.

In a formation that is strong to the right, the 1 (or NT) lines up on the inside shoulder of the LG and the 3 lines up on the outside shoulder of the RG. Because of where the 1 lines up he often gets double teamed from the LG & C. The 3 is not normally going to see a double team on passing downs, inside runs or runs away from his side. On any off-tackle or outside runs to his side the RT may block down on the 3. So if you have a 3 that can rush the passer, he is one-on-one with the RG, if he wins that battle consistently it's a huge help to the DEs and will force the offense to hold in extra personnel for protection.

If things work out for us, we have three legit pass rushers; AC, JT and Griffin (our 3). You can't double team more than one without keeping a back or TE in. This should help our secondary a great deal. If AC & JT hold up against the run and we stay healthy, we should be a top-level D this year.

A true NT is used in a 3-man front and he sits head-up over the C and is expected to force a double team from one G or the other or collapse the pocket by driving the C into the backfield.[/quote]

Interesting article. I always thought that a NT was only used in the 3-4 defense, I don't think I had heard the term NT used in a 4-3 defense.

Slingin Sammy 33 09-04-2008 12:06 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;471225]Interesting article. I always thought that a NT was only used in the 3-4 defense, I don't think I had heard the term NT used in a 4-3 defense.[/quote]
Agreed.

I'm not sure if the NT term is something the Skins are telling JLC or something he's writing on his own. It appears in the quote from Alexander that he's referencing the term "nose" to JLC. If that's the Skins terminology, then fine. If it's JLC coming up with this term, then ????