Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Will Cooley be handcuffed by this offense? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25038)

Counter-Tre 09-07-2008 04:28 PM

Will Cooley be handcuffed by this offense?

Please enlighten me fellas. I basically get the gist of the "West Coast Offense" but you guys on here know your stuff backwards and forwards. Is Cooley gonna be hanging back and blocking this season instead of tearing up defenses?

rypper11 09-07-2008 04:46 PM

Re: Will Cooley be handcuffed by this offense?

Not if some of the OLine blocks. Of course, if we need to keep 9 guys to block that leaves only one guy running a route.
The offense actually is designed around having fewer guys block and more quick patterns by the receivers. Also, with fewer wr on the roster he will be a split Y in some packages. Expect to see him get more screens too. Remember his 15 yd catch and run that was called back Thur? I doubt you'll see many seven yard games this year from him.

MTK 09-07-2008 04:47 PM

Zorn will undoubtedly look to get CC more involved I'm sure. He's too valuable of a weapon.

53Fan 09-07-2008 04:53 PM

Ideally in this offense Cooley should have a great year. Depends on how long it takes to get this system running as it should.

Gmanc711 09-07-2008 04:57 PM

THe three guys who I didnt see get any chances on Thursday that I really hope arent ignroed are : Chris Cooley, Mike Sellers and Ladell Betts. Cooley saw 1 catch for 7 yards, we've all discussed this, but thats got to change.

Mike Sellers: The guy has proven to be far to veristile over the last few years to not be a part of this offense. He needs to touch the ball at least a few times a game...weather it be passes over the middle, running short yardage or what have you, he needs to have touches.

Ladell Betts: He got, what? One carry Thursday? I'm defintley a "Portis Guy" and I want Clinton in there during the crunch times, but Betts defintley should be seeing looks. He is supposed to be the big complement to Portis, and he needs to be featured more.

Again, I say this after one (tough) game, so I'm not trying to go overboard with it...I say that in a statment of thats what I hope isnt a trend over the course of the year. Clearly it was a tough night offensivley Thursday, but I just hope I dont see this continue.

Skinny Tee 09-07-2008 05:20 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;473497]THe three guys who I didnt see get any chances on Thursday that I really hope arent ignroed are : Chris Cooley, Mike Sellers and Ladell Betts. Cooley saw 1 catch for 7 yards, we've all discussed this, but thats got to change.

Mike Sellers: The guy has proven to be far to veristile over the last few years to not be a part of this offense. He needs to touch the ball at least a few times a game...weather it be passes over the middle, running short yardage or what have you, he needs to have touches.

Ladell Betts: He got, what? One carry Thursday? I'm defintley a "Portis Guy" and I want Clinton in there during the crunch times, but Betts defintley should be seeing looks. He is supposed to be the big complement to Portis, and he needs to be featured more.

Again, I say this after one (tough) game, so I'm not trying to go overboard with it...I say that in a statment of thats what I hope isnt a trend over the course of the year. Clearly it was a tough night offensivley Thursday, but I just hope I dont see this continue.[/quote]

It's hard to get the ball to that many guys when you go three and out so much. We'll continue to go three and out when our QB can't even pan the field for available receivers.

It's seems like Campbell can't queue through any more than two receivers when he drops back. I'd like a guy who can register the whole field.

I'm not knocking Campbell's intelligence because I think that's foolish and somewhat bigoted. I do think that he doesn't have the physical mechanics to run this offense.

...Let the record state that I'm off the Campbell bandwagon.

Dirtbag59 09-07-2008 05:22 PM

Might I suggest a merge with the WCO strategy thread.

EXoffender 09-07-2008 05:24 PM

Campbell needs to stop thinking and start throwing. It's hard to do that with a newly installed offense people...

Hog1 09-07-2008 05:50 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;473493]Zorn will undoubtedly look to get CC more involved I'm sure. He's too valuable of a weapon.[/quote]
Totally! JZ is nobody's idiot. He will undoubtedly be driven how to better use his personel.
MOST importantly, we gotta' get some blocking

SouperMeister 09-07-2008 06:11 PM

[quote=Counter-Tre;473484]Please enlighten me fellas. I basically get the gist of the "West Coast Offense" but you guys on here know your stuff backwards and forwards. Is Cooley gonna be hanging back and blocking this season instead of tearing up defenses?[/quote]If our O-line can protect the QB without additional help, Cooley is free to go nuts in the passing game. It's frustrating when we have to keep him in as a pass blocker. It's not a function of the WCO. It's a function of poor offensive line play.

redsk1 09-07-2008 07:37 PM

I don't think the question is does JZ want to, it's can he get CC involved. I know the intention is there but like another post said, when you don't have a completion til mid-second quarter it's kind of hard to get people involved.

Redskin Warrior 09-08-2008 01:56 PM

[quote=redsk1;473558]I don't think the question is does JZ want to, it's can he get CC involved. I know the intention is there but like another post said, when you don't have a completion til mid-second quarter it's kind of hard to get people involved.[/quote]

I think and hope Fred Davis will be used more to block & chip defenders

70Chip 09-08-2008 03:11 PM

post deleted

Ruhskins 09-08-2008 03:16 PM

[quote=70Chip;473952]post deleted[/quote]

Zing! :food-smil

Seriously though, I was hoping to see the two back sets of Portis and Betts. I know it's been talked about, but I don't think I saw it last thursday.

firstdown 09-08-2008 04:01 PM

[quote=Counter-Tre;473484]Please enlighten me fellas. I basically get the gist of the "West Coast Offense" but you guys on here know your stuff backwards and forwards. Is Cooley gonna be hanging back and blocking this season instead of tearing up defenses?[/quote]
Well someone has to help block as JC drops back and watches his one man trying to get open while the other WR's are jumping up and down waiving their arms. Then JC rolls to buy time while still starring down his one man and runs into his blockers. That takes time to develop and we need CC to help there.

hooskins 09-09-2008 02:45 PM

So I went back and watched Zorn's most recent presser and he was asked something like "when will cooley be involved in the offense". Zorn said that Cooley was "already" involved and he mentioned a couple plays that went his way.

Although it would be a waste to not use Cooley more I just don't see him being that big of threat this year. Zorn is usually quick to put the blame on himself, this time he seemed confident that Cooley was using properly. I am a bit worried about that.

MTK 09-09-2008 03:08 PM

[quote=hooskins;474345]So I went back and watched Zorn's most recent presser and he was asked something like "when will cooley be involved in the offense". Zorn said that Cooley was "already" involved and he mentioned a couple plays that went his way.

Although it would be a waste to not use Cooley more I just don't see him being that big of threat this year. Zorn is usually quick to put the blame on himself, this time he seemed confident that Cooley was using properly. I am a bit worried about that.[/quote]

I think his point was CC was supposed to be more involved based on the game plan but basically... shit didn't work out the way they planned.

SmootSmack 09-09-2008 03:09 PM

I feel like there were these same concerns last year when Cooley had just 1 catch for 10 yards in the opener against Miami. I don't think he will be handcuffed at all.

MTK 09-09-2008 03:17 PM

Cooley seems to start off slow almost every year for whatever reason. He's too good to not get his share of catches over the long run.

vaoutlaws2006 09-09-2008 03:54 PM

i really like this site so much i really do but if one more person throws campbell under the bus i might very well come completely unglued. My god the blocking the other night was horrendous and the playing calling left a little to be desired. It was one game folks....first full game in the WCO JC hasnt played enough in it yet to say he isnt cut out for it. As far as cooley getting handcuffed others have already said it but cooley for some reason is a slow starter he will get his and it will be JC throwing it to him.

hooskins 09-09-2008 09:43 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;474352]I feel like there were these same concerns last year when Cooley had just 1 catch for 10 yards in the opener against Miami. I don't think he will be handcuffed at all.[/quote]
That's true, completely forgot about that. Just a bit worried but hopefully you are right.

T.O.Killa 09-09-2008 09:48 PM

[quote=vaoutlaws2006;474369]i really like this site so much i really do but if one more person throws campbell under the bus i might very well come completely unglued. My god the blocking the other night was horrendous and the playing calling left a little to be desired. It was one game folks....first full game in the WCO JC hasnt played enough in it yet to say he isnt cut out for it. As far as cooley getting handcuffed others have already said it but cooley for some reason is a slow starter he will get his and it will be JC throwing it to him.[/quote]
The blocking was not bad, but I do agree that the play calling was bad. Nut that could have been due to a lack of confidence in JC.

skins6 09-09-2008 10:29 PM

Cooley will be blocking more this year--but I see him getting many chances in the Red zone

TurlockSkinsFan 09-09-2008 10:54 PM

I don't believe he will. Tight Ends traditionally do well in the WCO. Look at Brent Jones, LJ Smith, Keith Jackson, Bubba Franks, and even Jeramy Stevens in Seattle. The problem is that Campbell needs to gain experience, the line has to block, and Zorn has to trust his guys. Watching DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal makes me jealous and our rooks need to get out there and gain experience under fire. That should open things up for Cooley as well.