Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins-Giants: Defensive Review (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25059)

RMSkins 09-08-2008 03:18 PM

Re: Redskins-Giants: Defensive Review

It's quite obvious that this defense is going to miss Phillip Daniels big time. Say what you will about his pass rush skills (or lack therof) but the man was a beast against the run. Daniels was probably a top ten DE against the run. Carter and Taylor are going to continue to struggle with the run all season and Blache needs to figure out how to fix it. Nice post Gtripp but from what I saw the Giants were much more successful running at Carter than Taylor, although they both played poorly against the run.

GTripp0012 09-09-2008 02:03 AM

I just read Dillweed's breakdown, which was brilliantly through. I 100% agree with him that the linebackers getting blocked by anything that moved was our biggest problem, but I do think Carter played better than the YPC to his side would suggest. I think the biggest thing is that half the time, the Redskins were in the 4-3 Solid, meaning that Carter was not the outermost man on the line. He actually held the line well, I thought, but that meant he was getting doubled in the running game, and that Washington would have to make a play on the outside. Marcus made a few plays, but as the YPC bear out, the Giants enjoyed way too much success running at him.

I can't count the amount of times I saw the DT's coming hard down the line to engulf the cutback lane, only to watch the LBs blown out of the hole before the pursuit could get there. It wasn't pretty.

GTripp0012 09-09-2008 02:05 AM

I would say Fletcher had the best game out of the LBs, but we've seen better from him.

hesscl34 09-09-2008 09:31 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;474218]I would say Fletcher had the best game out of the LBs, but we've seen better from him.[/quote]

He had 17 tackles.....I'd like to see a game when he's better than that.

MTK 09-09-2008 09:33 AM

I'd like to see Fletcher have less tackles and have the front four making more plays.

hesscl34 09-09-2008 09:37 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;474249]I'd like to see Fletcher have less tackles and have the front four making more plays.[/quote]

Me too... I agree.

Schneed10 09-09-2008 10:41 AM

GTripp this is really good stuff, you add a whole lot to the site by doing this, I hope you keep it up.

I saw a lot fo the same things you did when it came to the D line. Certainly Taylor was targeted and struggled. And I thought Carter held up quite well, and when Evans was in there he held up quite well.

The DTs I thought were a mixed bag. I noticed that on one play, Griffin would hold the line real well, but Golston or Monty would get blown away. Then on the next play, Golston or Monty held up fine, but Griffin would get pushed back. It seemed on any given running play, one of our linemen would lose big time. Even if the other three held up well, the fourth guy giving way was enough for Jacobs to find the hole and exploit it. And that one linemen getting pushed back was enough to disrupt our linebacking corps.

It really goes to show that you need solid play from all of your linemen simultaneously or a good RB will find the hole and exploit it.