Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking ahead to the Saints (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25062)

MTK 09-08-2008 02:12 PM

Looking ahead to the Saints

All I know is we need Springs back for this one and he better be ready. The Saints are going to try to air it out all day, and like the Giants the Saints have their own big physical WR who can muscle around cornerbacks in Colston. And let's not forget about Shockey working the middle and Bush coming out of the backfield.

A big key to this game for us along with Springs is Jason Taylor. He should be much closer to 100% than he was last week. We really need him and AC to bring the heat this week.

Redskin Warrior 09-08-2008 02:21 PM

Re: Looking ahead to the Saints

We will need a big game from the defense.

mredskins 09-08-2008 02:25 PM

I really think this is a winnable game. Some smart offensive play and a tough d will help. The home crowd needs to get them pumped!

Redskins_P 09-08-2008 02:29 PM

I agree that having Springs back will be huge. Any help the defense can get, I'll take it.

I think we should pound the ball on their soft D. Both Portis and Betts should get at least 30-35 rushes between the two of them.

SmootSmack 09-08-2008 02:31 PM

We need to keep that offense off the field. I think long sustained drives (with the occassional deep bomb) will be the key to winning the game. And we can't give them a short field to work with, so no turnovers and strong punting/kickoffs will be huge.

I'm calling it right now. Malcolm Kelly 5 catches 96 yards, 1 TD.

Cooley1 09-08-2008 02:32 PM

Did anyone get a chance to see more then just the highlights from the Saints game, I know that they were loosing for a good portion of the game against Tampa Bay. I also know that Mr. Bush had a huge game.

If we can sustain a few good drives early, keeping the ball out of their hands we should have a realistic chance of making this a very competitive matchup. Our D looked very good in the second half last Thursday even though they were continually let down by the Offense staying on the field much longer then they should have been.

With Shawn Springs back healthy, we hope, this D improves across the board….significantly. A heavy dose of CP to start with some good Play Action - to boost Campbell’s confidence early will be the key to our success....or......lack there of.

JWsleep 09-08-2008 02:34 PM

This is to state the obvious, but: we need to score some points!

The Saints are going to get theirs. We need to contain them as best we can. But we need to be able to answer their shots. And controlling the clock and ToP will help keep our D fresh. They were on the field A LOT against the gints.

One good thing: we had a nice preview from the bucs. They play a WC offense, so we got to see how the saints will cover that. Let's hope Zorn and co on the offensive side figure out how to exploit some matchups. That's key in the WC.

GhettoDogAllStars 09-08-2008 02:36 PM

Good points by all. This game will definitely show us where we stand regarding our secondary/pass defense.

Redskin Warrior 09-08-2008 02:37 PM

I didn't watch there game against the Bucs but are there corners still suspect?

hesscl34 09-08-2008 02:52 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;473916]We need to keep that offense off the field. I think long sustained drives (with the occassional deep bomb) will be the key to winning the game. And we can't give them a short field to work with, so no turnovers and strong punting/kickoffs will be huge.

I'm calling it right now. Malcolm Kelly 5 catches 96 yards, 1 TD.[/quote]

Wow... now that's positive thinking ! I hope you are right.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-08-2008 02:53 PM

I watched the entire Saints-Bucs game and they looked pretty damned impressive. Their d-line (Charles Grant, Sedrick Ellis, Brian Young and Will Smith) was absolutely dominating Jeff Garcia and the Bucs offense, which also runs the WCO. Jeff Garcia had no time to throw the ball and was getting hurried on just about every throw. If our O-line can't stop the Saints' pass rush, Jason Campbell is in for a long day.

Skinny Tee 09-08-2008 02:58 PM

We beat the Saints when they were the business 2 years ago. Hopefully we still have the playbook for that game lying around.

70Chip 09-08-2008 02:59 PM

We can win this game. I think we will be a much better home team, because the O-Line will be able to protect Jason. The O-Line is at a tremendous disadvantage on the road, especially in this system which seems to put much less emphasis on making things easy for the QB than the previous systems Campbell was in at this level (up here).

A QB in this system has to be the star, if he's not, the team doesn't win. The only exeption I can think of would be Brad Johnson in Tampa, but that was kind of a defensive team anyways. All the other QBs that have won championships in the West Coast passing game have been HOFers, no? Montana, Young, Elway, Favre, who else? Help me out people. Mark Rypien wouldn't have won any Super Bowls in this system.

I digress, but my point is that Campbell stands a better chance to play at the superstar level this system demands at home than on the road. We, like Zorn's previous team, will be much better at home. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if were 6-2 or 5-3 at home and 3-5 or worse on the road. It's the (or worse) factor that will make the differnce between a long crappy nightmare of a season and an outside playoff shot. Or they could lose all their games, what the hell do I really know? Their could be a crack epidemic at Redskins Park and we'd never hear about it.

70Chip 09-08-2008 03:00 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;473916]
I'm calling it right now. Malcolm Kelly 5 catches 96 yards, 1 TD.[/quote]

Is that for the season or for his career?

nolafan33 09-08-2008 03:00 PM

i am really looking forward too matching up with yall.

as for the saints defense don't expect too see the same old sucky no emotion defense. the additions of vilma, mccray, ellis, and others have been huge and all bring some nastiest to our defense.

as for the saints secondary they looked fantastic yesterday, paired with the fact that we were in garcias face all day yesterday, our corners were glued to there recievers all day. forcing some pass deflections and such. and the thing that gets me excited is that our 2 starting corners didn't even play. garcia threw for 221 yards on 24 completions. he threw the ball 41 times.

i'm not worried about yall running the ball play after play. it's the fact that the saints seem to give up long runs, not too often but it happens. it seems like we hold the rb too like 2 or 3 yards a carry and then he breaks a 30 yarder. so with yall having a very good backfield in betts and portis that's what im the most worried about.

expect too see the same old saints offense, but now with a 5 or 6 ypc runner in pierre thomas. the saints will get there 250-300 yards passing as they do so often. but now we have that rushing weapon in thomas. and of course there is reggie bush who will get his carries and receptions. he has breakaway potential everytime he touches the football. oh and don't forget about that brand new addition in jeremy shockey who showed up big for the saints on 3rd downs.

skinsfan69 09-08-2008 03:06 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;473906]All I know is we need Springs back for this one and he better be ready. The Saints are going to try to air it out all day, and like the Giants the Saints have their own big physical WR who can muscle around cornerbacks in Colston. And let's not forget about Shockey working the middle and Bush coming out of the backfield.

A big key to this game for us along with Springs is Jason Taylor. He should be much closer to 100% than he was last week. We really need him and AC to bring the heat this week.[/quote]

Our DE's were exposed in the run game last week and I think we'll see NO run a balanced attack. They'd be stupid to sit back and throw it all day.

Ruhskins 09-08-2008 03:07 PM

[quote=nolafan33;473944]i am really looking forward too matching up with yall.

as for the saints defense don't expect too see the same old sucky no emotion defense. the additions of vilma, mccray, ellis, and others have been huge and all bring some nastiest to our defense.

as for the saints secondary they looked fantastic yesterday, paired with the fact that we were in garcias face all day yesterday, our corners were glued to there recievers all day. forcing some pass deflections and such. and the thing that gets me excited is that our 2 starting corners didn't even play. garcia threw for 221 yards on 24 completions. he threw the ball 41 times.

i'm not worried about yall running the ball play after play. it's the fact that the saints seem to give up long runs, not too often but it happens. it seems like we hold the rb too like 2 or 3 yards a carry and then he breaks a 30 yarder. so with yall having a very good backfield in betts and portis that's what im the most worried about.

expect too see the same old saints offense, but now with a 5 or 6 ypc runner in pierre thomas. the saints will get there 250-300 yards passing as they do so often. but now we have that rushing weapon in thomas. and of course there is reggie bush who will get his carries and receptions. he has breakaway potential everytime he touches the football. oh and don't forget about that brand new addition in jeremy shockey who showed up big for the saints on 3rd downs.[/quote]

Still the Bucs were in the game the whole time and the game went down to the wire.

70Chip 09-08-2008 03:09 PM

Welcome NOLAFan33... Check out User CP to get your Saints avatar.

nolafan33 09-08-2008 03:11 PM

[quote=70Chip;473951]Welcome NOLAFan33... Check out User CP to get your Saints avatar.[/quote]

already got it lol

that's very cool of yall to have all those avatars of the different teams. i'm a member of many sites and don't see that kind of thing often.

MTK 09-08-2008 03:16 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;473949]Our DE's were exposed in the run game last week and I think we'll see NO run a balanced attack. They'd be stupid to sit back and throw it all day.[/quote]

They don't have the same kind of physical ground game that the Giants do. Their bread and butter is the passing game. I'm not overly concerned with them running, I think we can shut them down in that area but the passing game concerns me, especially if Springs isn't healthy. They've got weapons all over the place through the air.

MTK 09-08-2008 03:16 PM

[quote=nolafan33;473953]already got it lol

that's very cool of yall to have all those avatars of the different teams. i'm a member of many sites and don't see that kind of thing often.[/quote]

Welcome to the board

nolafan33 09-08-2008 03:23 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;473957]They don't have the same kind of physical ground game that the Giants do. Their bread and butter is the passing game. I'm not overly concerned with them running, I think we can shut them down in that area but the passing game concerns me, especially if Springs isn't healthy. They've got weapons all over the place through the air.[/quote]

i think yall will need to gameplan for pierre thomas. yall will be very suprised by the kid. imo he's by far the best runner the saints have. one, or even two guys won't bring him down. he isn't that big but he's very strong and has speed.

and thanks for the welcome matty

BleedBurgundy 09-08-2008 03:25 PM

Brees is the scariest player on that team. I always think of him as a more talented version of Doug Flutie.

I can't disagree too much with what everyone has already said, Springs is going to need to suit up for this one as Smoot will get eaten alive by the Saints' receivers. I'm not sure that I buy into N.O.'s improved secondary. If you're telling me the same cast of characters from last year were missing the top two off of their depth chart and played great... well... I'll have to see it to believe it. I like the Saints and usually root for them to win, but not this week. I'm hoping to see JC get a confidence boost from a suspect secondary.

skins6 09-08-2008 03:29 PM

Run the ball allday against Saints--mix in some play action--Springs will be back so secondary will be improved--the "D" will have no less than 4 sacks of Brees--end of day Skins will have a solid win.

mredskins 09-08-2008 03:51 PM

"yall" has already gotten old.

Skinny Tee 09-08-2008 03:58 PM

[quote=nolafan33;473967][B]i think yall will need to gameplan for pierre thomas.[/B] yall will be very suprised by the kid. imo he's by far the best runner the saints have. one, or even two guys won't bring him down. he isn't that big but he's very strong and has speed.

and thanks for the welcome matty[/quote]

Our gameplan is to send him back to France where he belongs. He needs to ask Chad Johnson for the number to the name change because guys named Pierre don't last long in the NFL.

jamf 09-08-2008 04:01 PM

Brees is going to kill anyone if he has time. JT and AC need to get in his face early and often for use to have a chance.

SmootSmack 09-08-2008 04:03 PM

I agree with Nolafan about Pierre Thomas. He should be the everydown back for the Saints (until/unless Deuce can prove he's fully healthy again). His straight ahead running style is a good complement to Bush's in the open field, playmaking ability.

doughtydoubter 09-08-2008 04:05 PM

pressure, getting cooley involved and not so conservative on the play calling

Lotus 09-08-2008 04:10 PM

[quote=nolafan33;473944]i am really looking forward too matching up with yall.

expect too see the same old saints offense, but now with a 5 or 6 ypc runner in pierre thomas. the saints will get there 250-300 yards passing as they do so often. but now we have that rushing weapon in thomas. and of course there is reggie bush who will get his carries and receptions. he has breakaway potential everytime he touches the football. oh and don't forget about that brand new addition in jeremy shockey who showed up big for the saints on 3rd downs.[/quote]

I saw the whole NO/TB game and came away with a different impression. The Saints offense looked hot. But it actually did not do a whole lot if you take out the big plays. That is, the Skins need to make the Saints offense earn its yards, rather than getting big plays, and everything will be ok.

I was unimpressed by the NO defense. They did get some good pressure on Garcia. But Tampa was still able to move the ball well. This was due in part because Tampa averaged over 7 yards per rush. Hello Clinton Portis!

nolafan33 09-08-2008 04:19 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;473991]I agree with Nolafan about Pierre Thomas. He should be the everydown back for the Saints (until/unless Deuce can prove he's fully healthy again). His straight ahead running style is a good complement to Bush's in the open field, playmaking ability.[/quote]

exactly, and now he is. instead of deuce/reggie, this year it will be pierre/reggie.

say all yall want about him, i know half of yall don't even know who he is. and i'm not here to talk trash, i'm here to get some good saints-redskins talk and give yall a good breakdown on the saints.

but i am here too say that if yall don't gameplan to stop pierre then he will torch yall. 2 defenders can't bring him down. he gets hit and he keeps going. he is the only rb in saints history too have 100 yards rushing and recieving in the same game.

KWilly_2003 09-08-2008 04:31 PM

First off let me say this...I think the Redskins will come out and have one hell of a showing against the Saints. They got killed in NY and made themselves look like a group of pussys out there. Yet I am still holding on to the fact that Shawn Springs is the most worthless player on this team. All of you holding on to hope he will play a large role this season can forget it. He got kicked in the leg, and it kept him out of the game? Hummm sounds like the same old Springs from that last 4 years. For god sakes people, Riggo would come off the field will blood running down his arms and turn around and rush for more yards. Springs is just out there for money, and too look pretty. If he played on Thursday the outcome may have been different, because CR was getting worked. Why Springs is still on this team I'll never understand, and there is a reason Gibbs was trying to shop him around last season.

over the mountain 09-08-2008 04:38 PM

[quote=Lotus;473997]I saw the whole NO/TB game and came away with a different impression. The Saints offense looked hot. But it actually did not do a whole lot if you take out the big plays. That is, the Skins need to make the Saints offense earn its yards, rather than getting big plays, and everything will be ok.

I was unimpressed by the NO defense. They did get some good pressure on Garcia. But Tampa was still able to move the ball well. This was due in part because Tampa averaged over 7 yards per rush. Hello Clinton Portis![/quote]

good post lotus and welcome aboard aswell buddy!!

go skins!

hucapn 09-08-2008 04:46 PM

Let's be crystal clear right now. IF THE REDSKINS CONTINUE TO PLAY AS THEY HAVE THE LAST MONTH, WE WILL NOT WIN A GAME.
Now, as for the Saints, we will see Marques Colston playing a very similar role to Burress. Carlos Rogers will once again have to prove to me that he is more than a combine all-star and physical specimen. Speed and ability does nothing at the NFL level if you can't see what's going on before the snap.
Drew Brees is dangerous and if he has time we are in trouble because they have TONS of speed and talent catching the ball. Shockey will kill us just like he did in NY. Henderson and Meachem are dangerous too and I have said from the jump that Reed "What did you say" Doughty is a liability around anyone with talent on offense. Springs is nicked up and so is smoot.
THAT'S JUST DEFENSE. Not even speaking of Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas. (don't be shocked if Thomas has a great game either)
On offense, we stink. We need to play up to the Saints as if they are better than us because they are right now. They have two NASTY defensive ends who will get pressure on Campbell who apparently doesn't need pressure to throw bad passes anyway. Our only real hope is to spread the field, run Portis on some counters, delays and screens hoping that that will open up play passes or pump and gos.

53Fan 09-08-2008 04:56 PM

[quote=hucapn;474034]Let's be crystal clear right now. IF THE REDSKINS CONTINUE TO PLAY AS THEY HAVE THE LAST MONTH, WE WILL NOT WIN A GAME.
Now, as for the Saints, we will see Marques Colston playing a very similar role to Burress. Carlos Rogers will once again have to prove to me that he is more than a combine all-star and physical specimen. Speed and ability does nothing at the NFL level if you can't see what's going on before the snap.
Drew Brees is dangerous and if he has time we are in trouble because they have TONS of speed and talent catching the ball. Shockey will kill us just like he did in NY. Henderson and Meachem are dangerous too and I have said from the jump that Reed "What did you say" Doughty is a liability around anyone with talent on offense. Springs is nicked up and so is smoot.
THAT'S JUST DEFENSE. Not even speaking of Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas. (don't be shocked if Thomas has a great game either)
On offense, we stink. We need to play up to the Saints as if they are better than us because they are right now. They have two NASTY defensive ends who will get pressure on Campbell who apparently doesn't need pressure to throw bad passes anyway. Our only real hope is to spread the field, run Portis on some counters, delays and screens hoping that that will open up play passes or pump and gos.[/quote]

Well f**K it. Why should we even show up?

53Fan 09-08-2008 05:14 PM

I'm sure the Saints have improved but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel. We get our first win Sunday. I'm looking for our defense to play very physical after what happened in New York and our o-line will redeem themselves. I also expect Kelly to contribute. If they concentrate on Portis like I think they will, look for our passing game to open up. I think the Giants are better than the Saints. One win does not make a season just like one loss does'nt. For those of you fortunate enough to attend the game...ROCK THE HOUSE! We are pissed and we are going to play mean!

MPNRedskins 09-08-2008 05:15 PM

If they do the same thing this week as they did last week and the last two preseason games, it's going to be a very long season. I have faith they can turn it around, but they cannot be as predictable as they were last week. I hope they have a sense of urgency this week when it's crunch time and not run the ball.

KWilly_2003 09-08-2008 05:34 PM

Well I guess the Colts season is done too people. Manning only threw one TD and they lost big to the Bears. Indy should pack it up and call it a season, and get ready for the draft. Sounds kinda the same doesn't it "Skins Fans"? Oh man I cant wait to get up to FedEx on Sunday and listen to people boo the team, because thats what they need. People who boo need to get hit in the face with a hammer.

doughtydoubter 09-08-2008 05:40 PM

ehh you cant blame fans..they need SOMETHING to give them hope. So far the pathetic showing that is our offense has given people reason to be upset. There has to be some potential to imbibe patience. I think we will have a better game this week. The saints are a hot team but so much changes week to week in the nfl. All we can do as skins fans is just hope somehow zorn can right this ship!

SmootSmack 09-08-2008 05:42 PM

[quote=KWilly_2003;474055]Well I guess the Colts season is done too people. Manning only threw one TD and they lost big to the Bears. Indy should pack it up and call it a season, and get ready for the draft. Sounds kinda the same doesn't it "Skins Fans"? Oh man I cant wait to get up to FedEx on Sunday and listen to people boo the team, because thats what they need. People who boo need to get hit in the face with a hammer.[/quote]

Seriously what's with all the aggression? Let's look at some of your comments recently

"People who boo need to get hit in the face with a hammer."

"I wanted to see his leg snap in half"

"I'm pissed Tom Brady's leg didn't snap in half"

"Those people need to get hit by a bus"

I mean I agree with you that people are jumping the gun, but damn...