Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Blache's Defensive Scheme (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25171)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-12-2008 01:20 PM

Blache's Defensive Scheme

What do people think of Blache's defensive scheme? According to JLC's RI, a league observer said this about our defense, "What they are doing on defense now, it's like night and day from how they looked under Gregg Williams ... It's so basic now. They're not really trying to hide much. It's like the Colts or the Bears, but I'm not sure they have the players to back it up. There's no Urlacher or Briggs. There's no Sanders or Freeney. It's a very different look now."

Personally, I tend to think that our talent is decent, but not spectacular. I also don't know why Blache thought GW's scheme was too complex. GW seemed to keep offenses on the defensive; opponents never knew where our rush was coming from and GW did his best to keep em' guessing. I'm not sure we have the talent to play a defense which requires each player to beat "his man."

doughtydoubter 09-12-2008 01:24 PM

Re: Blache's Defensive Scheme

I think blaches system is a bend dont break defense, alot of it revolves around the ability of the front 4 to generate pressure. We wont see the exotic safety blitzes BUT if you can get your players fired up and aggresive enough to take off the other teams heads...this system will work fine. I think that is the key factor, whether you have marginal talent or not, the real key to this defense will be emotion and aggressiveness.

MTK 09-12-2008 01:43 PM

If they keep building on what they showed in the 2nd half of last week I've got no major complaints.

doughtydoubter 09-12-2008 01:47 PM

I would just like to see two things....the DT's shore up against the run a little better, and take away the qbs comfort zone with some pressure..then im a happy man

53Fan 09-12-2008 01:50 PM

I think Zorn and Blanche would both like to run the system that THEY like. The only way to find out if it will work with the personnel they have, is to put them in and try it. If certain players don't fit, they will probably be replaced eventually, but hopefully the coaches will make adjustments to their game plan until they CAN be replaced. After only one game it may be hard to tell who can do what, but I would think it would be easier on defense since it has been scaled down instead of added to. I also think we have more talent than we are given credit for. If we are playing more of a "just beat your own man" type of defense, it should'nt be too hard to find out where we need help on D.

doughtydoubter 09-12-2008 02:04 PM

[QUOTE]THEY like. The only way to find out if it will work with the personnel they have, is to put them in and try it. If certain players don't fit, they will probably be replaced eventually,[/QUOTE]

Ok this is a great point of interest to me...because snyder as brilliant as a man as i think he is...(lets be honest when we were all ready to jump ship after spurrier he pulled out the gibbs card to keep everyone on board...when gibbs left and we are all down about run run pass he brought in dr z to have the exciting 'west coast offense')
Do you honestly think that he has that much faith in the coaches to replace players snyder has invested millions into for ones that dont work? Hell no...if blache has a horrible season..guaranteed we will look for a new d coordinator..if zorn does as well i am not too optimistic they wont buy out his contract. Im not sure that this is the wrong or right way to go about things, but to be honest the only coach snyder has brought in that he has had faith in was gibbs.

Hog1 09-12-2008 02:04 PM

I really prefer a D that comes straight out and punches you in the mouth, and lets you know "hey, you wanna' taste some more of that, come on". I think that is what Blache is aiming at.
As 53fan wisely pointed out, he can go that direction, but until he has the personel, a wise man uses what he has the best way he can!
HTTR

MTK 09-12-2008 02:12 PM

If you remember back to last year GW changed up his D and we were basically starting to move towards the style that Blache is playing now. I almost wonder now how much of an influence Blache may have had in the redesign of GW's D.

FRPLG 09-12-2008 02:17 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;475319]What do people think of Blache's defensive scheme? According to JLC's RI, a league observer said this about our defense, "What they are doing on defense now, it's like night and day from how they looked under Gregg Williams ... It's so basic now. They're not really trying to hide much. It's like the Colts or the Bears, but I'm not sure they have the players to back it up. There's no Urlacher or Briggs. There's no Sanders or Freeney. It's a very different look now."

Personally, I tend to think that our talent is decent, but not spectacular. I also don't know why Blache thought GW's scheme was too complex. GW seemed to keep offenses on the defensive; opponents never knew where our rush was coming from and GW did his best to keep em' guessing. I'm not sure we have the talent to play a defense which requires each player to beat "his man."[/quote]

I agree and this has been on my mind since pre-season. I uigured we were vanilla because it was pre-season but against the Gints it wasn't much different. Losing Springs changes our dynamics some but ultimately I just wonder if Blache wen't too vanilla. We have good talent but not spectacular like SGG said and without ST21 we have no serious playmakers.

Bushead 09-12-2008 02:17 PM

GW's first year was when we saw the exotic blitzes, pressure from different areas, and surprises here or there. The other years under him, it seemed it just got more and more vanilla.

doughtydoubter 09-12-2008 02:22 PM

defense is a funny thing...you can have the most vanilla defense and tear things up...or the most exotic one and be horrible at it.. it just depends on your players and how they exectute

53Fan 09-12-2008 02:22 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;475341]Ok this is a great point of interest to me...because snyder as brilliant as a man as i think he is...(lets be honest when we were all ready to jump ship after spurrier he pulled out the gibbs card to keep everyone on board...when gibbs left and we are all down about run run pass he brought in dr z to have the exciting 'west coast offense')
Do you honestly think that he has that much faith in the coaches to replace players snyder has invested millions into for ones that dont work? Hell no...if blache has a horrible season..guaranteed we will look for a new d coordinator..if zorn does as well i am not too optimistic they wont buy out his contract. Im not sure that this is the wrong or right way to go about things, but to be honest the only coach snyder has brought in that he has had faith in was gibbs.[/quote]

I don't remember Snyder ever being shy about spending millions for new players......Deon Sanders...Jeremiah Trotter....Adam Archuletta.....etc.

doughtydoubter 09-12-2008 02:31 PM

its not about being shy...but i think that they are in a phase where they want to let the smoke clear a bit. Im just saying they work more for the players than the coach

redsk1 09-12-2008 02:33 PM

I haven't seen enough of Blache's system to make a educated call either way. I have seen Blache's rankings as a D coordinator w/ the Bears which are ok, not great, average. Only time will tell and it's to early to make judgements on it.

I'm a little unsure of what to expect. On the one hand everyone was saying that everyone on D is back and it is going to be the same even w/out GW. On the other hand, it's two separate schemes and two different coaches.

53Fan 09-12-2008 02:37 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;475358]its not about being shy...but i think that they are in a phase where they want to let the smoke clear a bit. Im just saying they work more for the players than the coach[/quote]

You're probably right but at some point I'd like to see them quit firing coaches before they have a chance to implement their systems and get the players best suited for it.

skinsfan69 09-12-2008 02:38 PM

So far I have no problem with the defesnse. GB has been in this league a long time and he knows what he's doing. I trust him. We don't need to dial up all these complex blitzes and coverages to be a good defense. But I'll also say this. This defense really misses Daniels and I hope we see more of Evans on run downs.

Slingin Sammy 33 09-12-2008 02:40 PM

[URL]http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/24997-play-calling-a-huge-concern.html#post473325[/URL]
(Last paragraph)

I hope this isn't a trend and it gets fixed quickly. I had a concern when Blache was originally hired that his defensive rankings in Chicago were not good or trending upwards during his time there. A few folks blew my concern off as injuries and personnel, if things don't straighten out we may be in for a run of poor defensive rankings while Blache is DC.

DirtyLandry 09-12-2008 03:06 PM

I agree with Doughtydoubter we need to shore up the DT posistion. Griffin is not what he was 3 or 4 years ago and Montgomery and Golston show flashes at times. Look at the impact guys like Marcus Stroud and Kris Jenkins are making for thier teams. That and if we could get someone to replace Doughty we would have the personnel for this "beat your man" D. Hopefully Horton will develop soon.

saden1 09-12-2008 03:22 PM

I like what I saw...bend but don't break. Once Springs is on the field we'll get even better.

Ruhskins 09-12-2008 03:26 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;475374]I agree with Doughtydoubter we need to shore up the DT posistion. Griffin is not what he was 3 or 4 years ago and Montgomery and Golston show flashes at times. Look at the impact guys like Marcus Stroud and Kris Jenkins are making for thier teams. That and if we could get someone to replace Doughty we would have the personnel for this "beat your man" D. Hopefully Horton will develop soon.[/quote]

I think ur on point regarding the DTs. I mean they are the ones that need to push the o-line and disrupt the running game. I think last season there were complaints that the DTs were not doing much of a pass rush either, so they need to step it up.

skinsfan69 09-12-2008 03:32 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;475374]I agree with Doughtydoubter we need to shore up the DT posistion. Griffin is not what he was 3 or 4 years ago and Montgomery and Golston show flashes at times. Look at the impact guys like Marcus Stroud and Kris Jenkins are making for thier teams. That and if we could get someone to replace Doughty we would have the personnel for this "beat your man" D. Hopefully Horton will develop soon.[/quote]

Stroud and Jenkins were basically thrown out the door from Jack. and Car. Our problem is our ends holding it down against the run.

over the mountain 09-12-2008 03:55 PM

questions i have about our D that I havent found answers too:

1 - are our corners playing man, zone or a mix depending on the play call?

From the replays i saw from the giants game it looks like alot of man coverage, and poor man coverage at that as smoot was getting turned around or lead to far down field off his player. smoots days as being a good man cover cb might be fading.

2 - are the linebackers blitzing?

I saw the occassional linebacker blitz in passing downs but nothing aggressive. On clear passing plays it looked like the giants had no prob stopping our 4 man rush as we dropped back into max coverage.

3 - are the safeties playing a true cover 2?

looks this way to me except for the one time landry came up to the line of scrimmage and got his .5 sack with andre. I like the cover 2 and think it fits well with our safeties.

can someone please explain to me what we are running on D? straight up man with an occasional extra man blitz, go soft cover rush 4 on passing plays? after double G i am not used to seeing such base scemes.

go skins!!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-13-2008 05:14 AM

[quote=saden1;475379]I like what I saw...bend but don't break. Once Springs is on the field we'll get even better.[/quote]

I don't care for most "bend but don't break" defenses. It's okay to give up yards on 1st and 2nd down, but it's not okay to allow opponents to convert over 50% of their 3rd downs, get large chunks of yards between the 20s, and chew up the clock.

vaoutlaws2006 09-13-2008 09:26 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;475332]If they keep building on what they showed in the 2nd half of last week I've got no major complaints.[/quote]

i couldnt agree more. In the second half the defense looked great. I am hoping the defense continues to play with the motivation they had in the second half.

Slingin Sammy 33 09-13-2008 05:50 PM

[quote=over the mountain;475387]questions i have about our D that I havent found answers too:

1 - are our corners playing man, zone or a mix depending on the play call?

From the replays i saw from the giants game it looks like alot of man coverage, and poor man coverage at that as smoot was getting turned around or lead to far down field off his player. smoots days as being a good man cover cb might be fading. [/quote]

Mostly man unless it's 2nd or 3rd & long, then Cover 2 Zone

[quote]2 - are the linebackers blitzing?

I saw the occassional linebacker blitz in passing downs but nothing aggressive. On clear passing plays it looked like the giants had no prob stopping our 4 man rush as we dropped back into max coverage. [/quote]
Not much, we're playing a real vanilla 4-3 D

[quote]3 - are the safeties playing a true cover 2? looks this way to me except for the one time landry came up to the line of scrimmage and got his .5 sack with andre. I like the cover 2 and think it fits well with our safeties.[/quote]
We're playing a lot of Cover 1 with Landry deep. If both safeties are back on mid-short yardage it's Cover 2 Man, if 2nd or 3rd & Long, Cover 2 Zone

dmvskinzfan08 09-14-2008 05:22 PM

From the second half of last weeks game and this whole game. Seems good so far.

over the mountain 09-17-2008 03:05 PM

thanks slinging sammy baugh . . . it does look like a cover 1 with landry deep using his speed to go side to side. hopefully the cover 1 holds up, so far the real long ball has not hurt us.

go skins!