Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shaun "Thunder-toe" Suisham (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25403)

SouperMeister 09-22-2008 02:44 PM

Shaun "Thunder-toe" Suisham

I was down on Suisham last year, especially his short kick-offs. Is it just me, or does he appear to have more leg strength this season? I believe that he's striking both his kickoffs and FGs markedly better, and his outer FG range may be approaching 55 yards. Let's hope he works out the chemistry thing with Brooks holding, and continues to exhibit a stronger leg all year.

MTK 09-22-2008 02:46 PM

re: Shaun "Thunder-toe" Suisham

He's really booting those kickoffs. A little more accuracy on the longer FG attempts would be nice though.

saden1 09-22-2008 02:51 PM

Yeah, he's been lifting weights? Kickers lift weights right? As for his field goal kicking, it leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't count on him making anything beyond 42 yard field goals.

mlmpetert 09-22-2008 02:52 PM

[quote=SouperMeister;479805]I was down on Suisham last year, especially his short kick-offs. Is it just me, or does he appear to have more leg strength this season? I believe that he's striking both his kickoffs and FGs markedly better, and his outer FG range may be approaching 55 yards. [B]Let's hope he works out the chemistry thing with Brooks holding[/B], and continues to exhibit a stronger leg all year.[/quote]

I already posted in another thread, but I heard onthe radio this morning that Brooks made some sly comment while running off the field about Suisham missing the kick. I hope the only chemistry thing is just Brooks not being able to maintain his attention while taking the snap.

Shauwn's kickoffs have been awsome so far this year.

BleedBurgundy 09-22-2008 02:53 PM

yeah, I had thought the wind must have been crazy the first two games, but then I noticed he's putting his kickoffs a few yards deep into the end zone now. And saden- I'm with you, anything outside of 40 is a crap shoot.

JWsleep 09-22-2008 02:54 PM

I like his power--his kickoffs have been great. Gotta get it on line for the long ones! But at least he's got the leg to get it there. He hit that 52-yarder enough, just pushed it at the end.

Man, was Zorny pissed at Mr. Brooks! Hope the kid is a quick learner. Liked his big punt late in the 1st half, though--that's just when Frosty would have done his patented shank, just when you really need a play.

over the mountain 09-22-2008 02:54 PM

yeah soup im with you. last year i was down on him for short kickoffs and had him at 50-50 for anything longer than the 45 yard range. but now it really looks like he is really driving his foot into the ball (kinda sideways pronounced soccer style) and getting great range on kickoffs.

i said earlier this year he has done enough to make me not doubt him so much anymore and he is still kicking the ball very well. shazaam will be the difference in a W or L atleast once this year.

go skins

edit: its shaun not sean . . .right?

Dblock804 09-22-2008 02:55 PM

Sean knows he's out if he can't get the job done

SouperMeister 09-22-2008 02:57 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;479813]yeah, I had thought the wind must have been crazy the first two games, but then I noticed he's putting his kickoffs a few yards deep into the end zone now. And saden- I'm with you, anything outside of 40 is a crap shoot.[/quote]A crap shoot from outside 40 has been our status quo since Chip Lohmiller retired. I'm finally starting to feel better about Suisham - please don't burst my bubble :).

cpayne5 09-22-2008 03:01 PM

No, Suisham's leg has not gotten stronger. He is kicking the ball lower, with less hangtime. This produces longer flights.

The "short" kickoffs of years past had massive amounts of hangtime, but shorter flights. The same amount of energy is being put into the ball.

I think its more of a philosophy change in the kickoff game than anything else. He's always displayed a strong leg.

My biggest gripe with him is that he hasn't put the ball between the tall yellow things with any kind of consistency. ;)

firstdown 09-22-2008 03:09 PM

[quote=JWsleep;479814]I like his power--his kickoffs have been great. Gotta get it on line for the long ones! But at least he's got the leg to get it there. He hit that 52-yarder enough, just pushed it at the end.

Man, was Zorny pissed at Mr. Brooks! Hope the kid is a quick learner. Liked his big punt late in the 1st half, though--that's just when Frosty would have done his patented shank, just when you really need a play.[/quote]
Well so far its been Brooks shanking punts but it was nice to see him hit a decent punt. To me it looked like Brooks had the ball the ball leaning way too much on the missed FG. Not sure if that was what Zorn was upset about or if Brooks did infact make a coment about the missed FG. If he did make a comment as a rookie he needs to keep his mouth shut or keep it shut until he starts doing his job as a punter better.

SBXVII 09-22-2008 03:16 PM

I like the fact that he is kicking the so far this yr. The only change I would make would be at holding the ball. I have always believed that the holder should be a QB in case there is a muffed snap causing the holder to react to the bad snap. Throwing a TE out as a target if needed would be good.

53Fan 09-22-2008 03:21 PM

Yea, he's been eating his Wheaties or something because there is a BIG difference in his kick-offs.

Schneed10 09-22-2008 03:55 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to string him up for the inaccuracy on the longer FGs. The guy's booting it into the end zone every time as opposed to dropping it down on the 10 or the 15, he's getting us a good 10-15 yards of field position with every kick off. Doing that 4-5 times a game is probably worth just as much as the three points we'd score if he'd occasionally hit one of the 50 yarders.

I'm not saying I don't want the points on a longer FG, because obviously it turns the ball right over at the 35 or 40. But the long kickoffs are worth a ton over the course of a game and shouldn't be underestimated. Kick offs are a huge part of a kicker's value.

FRPLG 09-22-2008 05:07 PM

Re: Shaun "Thunder-toe" Suisham

I'd love to know where the extra length is coming from. He has consistently kicked the hell out of the ball so far.