Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What to do with our First round pick? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=255)

silent1903 03-05-2004 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=Defensewins]Trade down only if we can get a first round pick in the 7-10 area and a second rounder in this years draft in exchange for our #5. This is a very top heavy draft because of:
1) QB Eli Manning
2) WR Larry Fitzgerald
3) WR Mike Williams
4) QB Ben Roethlisberger
5) T Robert Gallery
6) S Sean Taylor
7) TE Kellen Winslow

These seven players are can't miss elite high 1st round talent. There might be some team like the Steelers (hot for QB Roethlisberger) or Houston (hot for Sean Taylor) that might at the last second (before the draft) offer a nice bounty of draft picks.
Skins should wait for the best offer and not jump at the first good thing. The longer they wait, the better the offers will get. I think the value for S Sean Taylor will increase as the draft approaches. There will be many big trade offers for the skins #5 pick.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with what my friend here says. Personally I really want Taylor, as much a guarantee of an impact player you can have. There is no rush to trade down - if Taylor is still there at #5, take him. If not, that means there will be players left who a team really covets and will jump at swapping for our #5 on draft day. I wouldn't like to see us drop less than #10, #15 at the absolute outside. Hopefully we should be able to still get Udeze there, or one or two of the other rated DE's, and pick up a good additional pick too.
If available, Coach Gibbs, TAKE TAYLOR!!!

PSUskinsfan11 03-05-2004 05:47 PM

If we keep the 5th pick Taylor is the only choice. Our secondary could use some help and Taylor will definatly provide an impact ( roy williams in dallas). Taylor could redrfine the position and passing him up would be a huge mistake. If we would for some reason trade down we should take Udeze. He was a machine in college and has potential to blow up in the nfl. We should not waste our time with Winslow. It is rumored that we are going to sign Walter Rasby anyway. Plus if we do trade down and get more picks we could pick up on of the Ben's (florida or georgia te's). Hopefully we won'tr pass up the chance to pick up an amazing player like Taylor.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-05-2004 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=raleighskinsfan]While I would love to see us stay put at 5 and draft Sean Taylor, it would be nice to move down to #11 and pick up and extra third and sixth. There is still alot of quality left in the third round, and it's not moving that far down from 5 to 11. At 11 I suspect we could still get an excellent D lineman, then we could look for an LB or CB with the 3rd rounder to help add depth and develop young players where we just lost players......
Frankly, I bet we'll end up trading out of the 5 spot and getting a really good deal. I bet it won't happen until draft day, but once the other 4 teams have chosen, there will be someone dying to get our 5th pick and their player of choice. I bet we will end up moving down in the first round and hopefully picking up someones late 2nd or high 3rd in addition to their first....[/QUOTE]

I'd say wait to trade until the day before the draft...teams get more anxious to trade up the closer you get to the draft.

Also, there is no way I'd take the offer from the Steelers. That is a pathetic offer. Last year the Jets traded the 13th and 25th(?) overall picks for the 4th spot. I don't think that the 11th and a 3rd & 6th rounder come close to compensating us for the #5 overall pick. I wouldn't trade down unless we got offered mid first and second rounders this year and either a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year. We need quality players, but I don't think that this draft is that deep (save at WR) and so a 3rd rounder might not yield sh-t. I'd take Sean Taylor if we can't get a great deal.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-05-2004 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=Defensewins]Trade down only if we can get a first round pick in the 7-10 area and a second rounder in this years draft in exchange for our #5. This is a very top heavy draft because of:
1) QB Eli Manning
2) WR Larry Fitzgerald
3) WR Mike Williams
4) QB Ben Roethlisberger
5) T Robert Gallery
6) S Sean Taylor
7) TE Kellen Winslow

These seven players are can't miss elite high 1st round talent. There might be some team like the Steelers (hot for QB Roethlisberger) or Houston (hot for Sean Taylor) that might at the last second (before the draft) offer a nice bounty of draft picks.
Skins should wait for the best offer and not jump at the first good thing. The longer they wait, the better the offers will get. I think the value for S Sean Taylor will increase as the draft approaches. There will be many big trade offers for the skins #5 pick.[/QUOTE]

Oops, you read my mind.

The only two players I'd add to that list would be WR Roy Williams, DT Vince Wilfork, and QB Philip Rivers.

Williams is definately a top ten pick and some scouts have said that he is the most complete reciever that has EVER come out of the draft (speed, vision, size, hands).

Wilfork was predicted to be a top 15 pick until the combines where he showed up 20-30 pounds below where scouts felt he would weigh in. Since concerns about his weight were his biggest knock, I see his stock rising. He's a big daddy with more speed and real potential.

A supposed marginal 1st rounder, Philip Rivers' biggest knock is that he isn't all that mobile and he throws kinda funny. I think that the more scouts see, the higher he will go in the draft and I see him gone by the 10th pick (as crazy as that sounds right now).