Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Is J. Taylor really needed? (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/25653-is-j-taylor-really-needed.html)

Bluezz DC 10-02-2008 12:09 PM

Is J. Taylor really needed?

From what I see, the Skins didn't really need to pick him up. I think the Skins defense looked pretty good without him. With him in there, I think Dallas would have ran the ball at him more, but this is just my opinion.

Bdilla 10-02-2008 12:12 PM

Re: Is J. Taylor really needed?

From what he gives up in the running game he more than makes up for in his awareness and pass rushing ability. It's a no brainer that our defense is improved is he's in there as opposed to a demetric evans or chris wilson

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 10-02-2008 12:13 PM

I don't think he's necessary, but he certainly helps us generate a pass rush. I thought the trade was a bit hasty and probably wouldn't have given up more than a 3rd rounder for him, but it's not as though he's a liability. I certainly prefer Taylor to our other options.

doughtydoubter 10-02-2008 12:14 PM

People fear him, and it causes double teams, a modified approach to their protection schemes. Evans and co. did an admirable job in his absence but a future hof like him is an asset to any team.

doughtydoubter 10-02-2008 12:31 PM

good point about carter

mlmpetert 10-02-2008 12:31 PM

Plus hes been a little gimpy in every game so far

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 10-02-2008 12:36 PM

Speaking of Carter, did anyone else see him absolutely drill Romo last week? No further description of the play is necessary, either you saw it and remember it or you missed it.

SouperMeister 10-02-2008 01:14 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;484341]Speaking of Carter, did anyone else see him absolutely drill Romo last week? No further description of the play is necessary, either you saw it and remember it or you missed it.[/quote]That hit was Hellacious!!! Romo impressed me with how quickly he bounced back up - he's one tough hombre.

irish 10-02-2008 01:17 PM

I think its hard to grade JT so far because he's been hurt almost since he got to DC. He hasnt had the impact I thought he would but IMO that's because he's not 100%.

GTripp0012 10-02-2008 01:21 PM

One of the things that supporting the acquisition of Taylor was his remarkable bill of health, but given that he was 34 years old, the fact that he's hurt now for the first time in his career isn't all that surprising. If nothing else, this injury keeps us from overusing him as I believe the LDE by committee approach is generally more effective.

Jason Taylor, when healthy, is clearly our best option to bookend Andre Carter. But we got screwed in the trade for him, I think.

SouperMeister 10-02-2008 01:23 PM

I really believe that we would get more out of Taylor by limiting his play on run downs, and making sure that he's on the field for all passing situations. The Giants absolutely bullied Taylor on runs in the first game. Demetric Evans brings alot more bulk, and looked solid on the few runs that Dallas called.

irish 10-02-2008 01:28 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;484377]One of the things that supporting the acquisition of Taylor was his remarkable bill of health, but given that he was 34 years old, the fact that he's hurt now for the first time in his career isn't all that surprising. If nothing else, this injury keeps us from overusing him as I believe the LDE by committee approach is generally more effective.

Jason Taylor, when healthy, is clearly our best option to bookend Andre Carter. But we got screwed in the trade for him, I think.[/quote]

How did the Skins get screwed? They basically traded JT for a 2nd round draft pick who hasnt been drafted yet.

MTK 10-02-2008 01:32 PM

[quote=irish;484386]How did the Skins get screwed? They basically traded JT for a 2nd round draft pick who hasnt been drafted yet.[/quote]

I agree, it's too early to say who got the better end. JT is going to be here for another year, so let's judge then.