Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vice Presidential Debate Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25661)

DynamiteRave 10-02-2008 09:31 PM

Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Since the McCain thread is just so damn big, I figured I'd start a thread where you can post your views on the debate here.

DynamiteRave 10-02-2008 09:34 PM

Re: Vice Presidential Debate Thread

Okay. Is it me or is she dodging some questions? Cause I feel like when it's her chance to rebut, she basically goes, "Well I can't rebut, but here's something I can talk about..." and then goes on some tangent.

MTK 10-02-2008 09:38 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;484577]Okay. Is it me or is she dodging some questions? Cause I feel like when it's her chance to rebut, she basically goes, "Well I can't rebut, but here's something I can talk about..." and then goes on some tangent.[/quote]

Not surprising, she's sticking to her script.

724Skinsfan 10-02-2008 09:45 PM

I'd say that for the first time debating on a national stage that she's doing a great job. Granted, I had very low expectations. One thing to remember is that Biden ran for President and during that time had plenty of time to think about the issues concerning the presidency and how to best express them. Palin has only had, what, 6 weeks to align her views with McCain?

DynamiteRave 10-02-2008 09:46 PM

At least she's not pulling another Couric.. You can't get much worse than that. She studied well.

jamf 10-02-2008 10:13 PM

Hopefully she runs out of slogans and starts getting back on topic.

Palin: Republican Party Sloganizer

NM Redskin 10-02-2008 10:13 PM

Wow she is just like McCain a maverick!
[IMG]http://www.stauffersalvage.com/Portals/109/Ford%20Maverick%201.JPG[/IMG]

DynamiteRave 10-02-2008 10:14 PM

[quote=NM Redskin;484590]Wow she is just like McCain a maverick!
[IMG]http://www.stauffersalvage.com/Portals/109/Ford%20Maverick%201.JPG[/IMG][/quote]

:goodjob:

Love it.

DynamiteRave 10-02-2008 10:22 PM

There needs to be an ongoing tally on how many times she's said "maverick" and if she says NUCULEAR (not nuclear), one more time, I'm gonna go nuts.

jamf 10-02-2008 10:26 PM

A Maverick and A Goose
[IMG]http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/topgungoose&maverick.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/10/104169/16_2008/palin.jpg[/IMG]

saden1 10-02-2008 10:52 PM

I think she thinks she's there to give a speech rather than answer questions. She's doing a great job keeping her feet out of her mouth.

DynamiteRave 10-02-2008 10:56 PM

[quote=saden1;484595]I think she thinks she's there to give a speech rather than answer questions. She's doing a great job keeping her feet out of her mouth.[/quote]

Well you can never be wrong when you decide that you're not going to directly answer questions.

She did a great job proving she's not a complete airhead. Bad job of proving what kind of VP she'd be and backing up McCain.

JoeRedskin 10-02-2008 11:06 PM

Whoa. Let's be fair here. Biden spouted some nice numbers but worked hard on answer avoidance himself. Each had their scripts/talking points and stuck to them question be damned.

Again, this "debate" changed nobody's mind.

And, for god's sake, could we please have a seminar for Republican candidates on how to pronounce "nuclear".

724Skinsfan 10-02-2008 11:17 PM

Whatever, Joe. Palin is stupid. I know. I saw some YouTube clips that show it. I bet she doesn't know..um...things that...um...smart people know. I think her soul should be eternally damned for her not being fully up to speed on all issues.

And, in case you didn't realize this, McCain = Bush.

BleedBurgundy 10-02-2008 11:18 PM

I think she did a good job of avoiding making the big mistake. However, she spoke in such ridiculous generalities that it was almost to the point of, "I'm going to go to Washington and do a bunch of really good things." I felt like Biden did a much better job of articulating his points.

BleedBurgundy 10-02-2008 11:18 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;484602]Whoa. Let's be fair here. Biden spouted some nice numbers but worked hard on answer avoidance himself. Each had their scripts/talking points and stuck to them question be damned.

Again, this "debate" changed nobody's mind.

And, for god's sake, could we please have a seminar for Republican candidates on how to pronounce "[B]nuclear[/B]".[/quote]

I was screaming the same thing at my TV.

Slingin Sammy 33 10-02-2008 11:28 PM

Nu-cu-lear = Ath-a-lete (that one kills me too)

MTK 10-02-2008 11:32 PM

[quote=NM Redskin;484590]Wow she is just like McCain a maverick!
[IMG]http://www.stauffersalvage.com/Portals/109/Ford%20Maverick%201.JPG[/IMG][/quote]

lol nice

MTK 10-02-2008 11:33 PM

[quote=saden1;484595]I think she thinks she's there to give a speech rather than answer questions. She's doing a great job keeping her feet out of her mouth.[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. She's ok until she has to formulate a thought on her own.

JoeRedskin 10-03-2008 12:00 AM

First, I am no Palin fan. There were clearly many more competent choices for McCain. To me, she is a sop to the social conservatives of the Republican party.

With that said, I thought that when asked questions in her comfort zone she gave sharp answers delivered in fairly concise fashion. Outside that zone, her answers were vague generalities or the repetition of talking points.

The problem, of course, is that her comfort zone is smaller than Herve Villechaize's strike zone

hooskins 10-03-2008 12:22 AM

So as most people said it was a pretty uneventful debate, and Palin didn't slip up. But for me that's pretty much a win for the Republicans. No one watched this to see Biden, either Palin was gonna eff up or not, and she didn't.

Although both sides had bullshit, Biden had alot less and had more substance. The problem with that, is that will not appeal to the typical retard American. Palin's BS about being an outsider and her stupid one liners will. It pisses me off that kind of stuff even flies.

djnemo65 10-03-2008 03:30 AM

Yeah, I think she did fine. If she had handled herself like that in the Couric and Gibson interviews she wouldn't be in the position she's in: being ridiculed as a grade A moron.

I still didn't like her answers on a lot of things but she was at least capable of speaking high school level English this time.

gibbsisgod 10-03-2008 03:46 AM

I try to stay away from these political threads, but I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

Palin refered the the Constitution as "flexible" when it come to the laws that govern the office that she is running for. She even added "we will do whatever we have to". Does anyone else see a problem with that? I don't care for Biden either but I'm glad he put her in her place when he said "the Constitution is very clear".

Daseal 10-03-2008 05:52 AM

Anyone else see her wink at the camera within the first 20 minutes of the debate? That was kind of hot.

saden1 10-03-2008 07:52 AM

[quote=gibbsisgod;484658]I try to stay away from these political threads, but I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

Palin refered the the Constitution as "flexible" when it come to the laws that govern the office that she is running for. She even added "we will do whatever we have to". Does anyone else see a problem with that? I don't care for Biden either but I'm glad he put her in her place when he said "the Constitution is very clear".[/quote]

She said "I agree with Dick Cheney." That's a very bad thing to say.

gibbsisgod 10-03-2008 08:00 AM

[quote=saden1;484670]She said "I agree with Dick Cheney." That's a very bad thing to say.[/quote]Not a good way to distance yourself from the current administration if you ask me.

dmek25 10-03-2008 08:23 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;484637]First, I am no Palin fan. There were clearly many more competent choices for McCain. To me, she is a sop to the social conservatives of the Republican party.

With that said, I thought that when asked questions in her comfort zone she gave sharp answers delivered in fairly concise fashion. Outside that zone, her answers were vague generalities or the repetition of talking points.

The problem, of course, is that her comfort zone is smaller than[B] Herve[/B] [B]Villechaize[/B]'s strike zone[/quote]
great reference. i thing the whole thing boils down to the republicans setting the bar sooo low for her. now, last night, without really answering the questions directly, she comes across OK. the bigger story is McCain conceding Michigan. i think they are starting to panic

mheisig 10-03-2008 08:24 AM

[quote=DynamiteRave;484577]Okay. Is it me or is she dodging some questions? Cause I feel like when it's her chance to rebut, she basically goes, "Well I can't rebut, but here's something I can talk about..." and then goes on some tangent.[/quote]

It's a political debate - they're ALL dodging questions, it's how politics work.

mheisig 10-03-2008 08:28 AM

[URL="http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_biden-palin_debate.html"]FactCheck.org - The Biden-Palin Debate[/URL]

Just a reminder, don't believe everything you hear.

MTK 10-03-2008 09:25 AM

[quote=hooskins;484643]So as most people said it was a pretty uneventful debate, and Palin didn't slip up. But for me that's pretty much a win for the Republicans. No one watched this to see Biden, either Palin was gonna eff up or not, and she didn't.

Although both sides had bullshit, Biden had alot less and had more substance. The problem with that, is that will not appeal to the typical retard American. Palin's BS about being an outsider and her stupid one liners will. It pisses me off that kind of stuff even flies.[/quote]

You're right... she's all fluff and too many people eat that shit up.

BleedBurgundy 10-03-2008 10:09 AM

Yeah, Palin's take was almost insulting to the intelligence of republicans, in my opinion. I say this because if they think that throwing out some nonsense about being a maverick and bringing small town values to washington is all it takes to sway opinion in their favor, well, they must think we're fucking idiots.

Is it so much to ask for a candidate that has republican principles at heart to also be an intelligent speaker. Palin could be a Rhodes Scholar, Mensa member and Nobel Laureate for all I know, but she sure didn't sound like anything but a soccer mom last night. Winking at the camera? Are you kidding? Biden threw out some garbage last night that, had she been on her game, she could have brought up. But for the average, uninformed person who is getting their info solely or mostly from the debate, they have a very distorted view of these two candidates.

hesscl34 10-03-2008 10:17 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;484613]Yeah I was thinking the same thing. She's ok until she has to formulate a thought on her own.[/quote]

That's a bit harsh..

hesscl34 10-03-2008 10:20 AM

[quote=Daseal;484661]Anyone else see her wink at the camera within the first 20 minutes of the debate? That was kind of hot.[/quote]

Good greif....

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 10-03-2008 11:00 AM

She was awful. She can spit out talking points, but she can't answer a question. Awful, awful performance IMO.

MTK 10-03-2008 11:04 AM

[quote=hesscl34;484710]That's a bit harsh..[/quote]

Truth hurts I guess.

firstdown 10-03-2008 11:10 AM

[quote=dmek25;484676]great reference. i thing the whole thing boils down to the republicans setting the bar sooo low for her. now, last night, without really answering the questions directly, she comes across OK. the bigger story is McCain conceding Michigan. i think they are starting to panic[/quote]
Thats nothing big if you look back over the years Mich has voted dem for a very long time. It was a small hope to win Mich and when they see its lost they move their money to another state. Both parties do this in every election.

dmek25 10-03-2008 11:14 AM

i disagree. if that were issue, why was McCain still stumping in Iowa? wasting money, that's about it. his campaign handlers have been all over the place( in regards to strategy)

firstdown 10-03-2008 11:18 AM

Not sure what station I was on after the debat because I like to flip around and see the different slant on what people think. One guy had pulled Obama's voting record and showed that Biden flat out lied on 10 different times about Obama's voting record. Many of which Biden told the public and Sarah that she was just plain wrong. I also think if I was prepairing Sarah I would have brought up more stuff that Biden had said about Obama when they where running against each other. It was Biden who said I would vot for McCain before I would ever think about Voting for an inexperienced Obama.

Biden has 30 years of experience to Palin and he sould have been able to put her away but could not.

MTK 10-03-2008 11:21 AM

[quote=firstdown;484726]Thats nothing big if you look back over the years Mich has voted dem for a very long time. It was a small hope to win Mich and when they see its lost they move their money to another state. Both parties do this in every election.[/quote]

I think you're glossing over the importance of this just a bit. The Dems did win Michigan last time but it wasn't by much, and early on polls were favorable to McCain there.

Warren85Ellard 10-03-2008 11:25 AM

[quote=hesscl34;484710]That's a bit harsh..[/quote]

Harsh? If there is a possibility that she will be vice president, this sort of criticism is far from harsh. A person in that position should be an excellent public speaker. Look at our current President. His lack of articulation (along with other things) has made him a laughing stock. I'm not laughing though, I'm embarrassed.