Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Good Can the Defense Become? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25764)

mmil12 10-06-2008 09:21 PM

How Good Can the Defense Become?

Alright, coming into the season I felt that we had a lot of question marks on the defensive side of the ball.

Rocky - Knee
Rogers - Knee
Doughty - Don't know what you...
Springs - a year older
J. Taylor - How would he adjust

However, to this point the defense has been outstanding especially against the types of offensives we have been playing! Ex: Giants, NO, AZ, Dallas, Philly. Those are no walk in the park.

However, we get Taylor back at full speed, springs back next week, Washington back healthy, and now with Horton as the starting safety! I think the sky is the limit for this Defense.

Couple Questions
Do you think they are a top 5 defense? If not, where they end up?

What is the difference maker for you? Gregg Blache?

I feel like we haven't heard Laron Landry's name too much these season...what are you thoughts on him so far this year...

SkinFan4Life 10-06-2008 10:04 PM

Re: How Good Can the Defense Become?

Springs getting back is huge..JT getting back will be a big improvement pressurring the QB, but as far as Washington, Im not sure he should be the starter. To me it just seems that he has lost a step.

T.O.Killa 10-06-2008 10:46 PM

I think that the Redskins are right now a top 5 defensive team. The Redskins have faced the best offenses in the league in all five games. The stats a deceiving.

SFREDSKIN 10-06-2008 10:47 PM

Rankings don't mean squat, stopping the opponents when it counts is what matters. If Taylor, Springs and Washington are not 100% this coming weekend, then keep resting them; they would benefit from the rest. I agree that Washington has lost a step and this might his last year as a Skin. The Redskins defense is very good and could be even better next year if they shore up the LB position and DE.

GMScud 10-06-2008 10:54 PM

It'll be interesting to see how we do stopping the run with Taylor back in there. But after two straight weeks without a sack, lord knows we need the pressure.

skinsfan69 10-06-2008 10:55 PM

I think we're going to be a very good defense. Not great but very good. Blache is doing an outstanding job cause we simply can't get to the QB w/out blitzing. But we're just sort of bending but not breaking. And to hold Philly to 10 points on the road w/out 3 starters was simply amazing. And hats off to the FO for finding Horton. Like Blache said, he's very raw but this guy is going to be a playmaker. Great find in the 7th round!!!

skinsfan69 10-06-2008 10:56 PM

[quote=GMScud;486906]It'll be interesting to see how we do stopping the run with Taylor back in there. But after two straight weeks without a sack, lord knows we need the pressure.[/quote]

That's what baffles me. We can't get any pressure on the QB yet we're not giving up a lot of points.

GMScud 10-06-2008 10:59 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;486911]That's what baffles me. We can't get any pressure on the QB yet we're not giving up a lot of points.[/quote]

When you don't turn the ball over and sustain long drives because of success running the ball, other factors can be overcome a lot more easily I guess.

T.O.Killa 10-06-2008 11:00 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;486911]That's what baffles me. We can't get any pressure on the QB yet we're not giving up a lot of points.[/quote]
I think they are getting pressure and teams are just getting rid of the ball fast against us.

DirtyLandry 10-06-2008 11:08 PM

The thing I like about our D line is that they're taught to get their hands up if they aren't gonna get to the QB. Pass deflections are huge and can kill momentum.

Ijaeger 10-07-2008 02:35 AM

We haven't heard Landry's name much because no one is really going deep on him. OCs know what's up and they pretty much figure; hey, if you play with fire you get burnt. It's almost as if his sole purpose is to not give up the big play, and that's fine by me. I think Blache is doing a wonderful job thus far with the D, utilizing what he's got. It's like someone said, it's baffling how we can create no pressure and still dominate. In Reid's post-game conference, he looked baffled as well saying things along the lines of "we didn't give up a sack, we didn't turn the ball over" as if almost to say "hey, we did everything we were supposed to do, but we just got outplayed".We all know that we have quality depth at certain positions, but the D cannot afford for all the backups to be on the field at once.(i.e. -we can't afford a s#!*load of major injuries). It's hard to say if we are a top 5 D, or will be at season's end. Unfortunately we still have to play the teams in our division again and they are all good offensively. As long as we can stay somewhat healthy, I see a really good defense at season's end with some slightly skewed numbers. However, it will be interesting to see what happens when JT comes back. Not very good against the run but damn if he isn't a ballswatter.

MTK 10-07-2008 09:38 AM

Just look at the offenses this D has played. They're already pretty damn good.

mlmpetert 10-07-2008 09:56 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;487002]Just look at the offenses this D has played. They're already pretty damn good.[/quote]

Yeah exactly. And we havent had a sac in the last 2 games, but look at the last 2 o-lines we played.

skinsnut 10-07-2008 10:49 AM

I'd say, we are a top 10 Defense...and I'm not talking statistically.
The reality is that we are really good at keeping passing offenses in front of us, even really good ones.

In the preseason our weaknesses were LB depth, 2nd safety issues, Rodgers, McIntosh concerns, DE pass rush.
Most of these concerns are gone, except DE pass rush.

To me, our main issues are still on the line, ...no pass rush...we are stopping teams with coverage, but that seems to be working as long as we continue to score better than last year as we have...

But the biggest issue I see, which I'm sure other teams will see if they aren't just looking at the stats sheet is this....Our Run D just aint that great if consistantly attacked, especially along the line.
The reality is this, the Giants committed to the run and beat us up.
The Cards, Saints, Dallas and Philly never really committed to the run, or they bailed on it, which was a huge misake. I see it as our weakness, (it just happens to be the offensive weakness on all but 1 of these teams)

My concern is when we finally come up against a team that will run 30+ times a game on us with talented backs with a functional passing attack.
Fortunately for us there are only few teams that are run heavy anymore.
Really, there are only 4 games on our schedule that can legitamately attack this run defense weakness.
Dallas, Giants, and perhaps the Rams(sucky D) and Pittsburgh.
(I dont believe the 49rs have a balanced attack)
Fortunately all of these games are at home.
If the fans cause false starts, it is hard to commit to the run.

I am starting to think that Jason Taylor will soon become a situational pass rusher, if we continue to do well without him in the passing attack since he is a liability in Run Defense.

53Fan 10-07-2008 11:53 PM

I think Marcus Washington, when healthy, is still a very good linebacker. If he can't stay healthy, at his salary, we'll have to let him go. As good as our DB's are playing, can you imagine how many INT's we''ll get if Taylor can get his rush on? Carters already playing good ball, but if Taylor is coming hard on the other side it will help Carter that much more. Horton is making rookie mistakes but those will lessen with time. He already is more of an asset than liability and is always around the ball. Him and Landry are putting a hurtin' on some people. (Westbrook) As good as this 'D" is, and they are good, with the personell we have and Coach Blache, we have the potential to be "Scary" good.