Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jerry Jones' top gaffes - a retrospective (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=26025)

onlydarksets 10-15-2008 08:33 PM

Jerry Jones' top gaffes - a retrospective

[url=http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=8678710#sport=NFL&photo=8676954]FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - 11 gaffes in Jerry Jones era - Number 1[/url]

What a douche. Nice retrospective, though!

That Guy 10-16-2008 01:11 AM

Re: Jerry Jones' top gaffes - a retrospective

that made me happy.

53Fan 10-16-2008 12:20 PM

The man's an idiot.

sandtrapjack 10-16-2008 12:31 PM

Lets see, bought the team for 150 million in 1989
Team now highest value franchise in the league at 1.5 billion

3 Championships since 1989.

Yeah, the mans an idiot!

Hog1 10-16-2008 12:35 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;490605]Lets see, bought the team for 150 million in 1989

Yeah, the mans an idiot![/quote]
Well.........you do have a point. How do you feel about Creepy?

MTK 10-16-2008 01:09 PM

No playoff wins since when?

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 10-16-2008 01:11 PM

Hard to argue with that math - HOWEVER, he spent 2 billion on plastic surgery, so he's actually in the hole.

Danny Snyder is also making a killing with the Skins, but that doesn't mean he's uncapable of making bone-headed decisions. He sure takes some criticism.

Meanwhile, it's too bad that Dallas couldn't get Chad Johnson before the trade deadline. Apparently, stacking up as many #1 WR's as you can is the way to win football games...

over the mountain 10-16-2008 01:26 PM

you know i was really thinking there was going to be some worse stuff than that . . . the michael irvin cover up is clearly bad in some many ways, the other stuff just seemed to be calculated business decisions that went wrong, which happens. it takes a while to find the right coach and quarterback.

what i really hold JJ to is how he treated emmit towards the end of his career, i understand its a business but emmit did alot for the boys and deserved better, i.e. a contract where emmit could decide to retire a boy like we did with d green. every now and then a player comes along and deserves to be treated better than the "business" dictates, emmit was one of them as was darrell green.

go skins!!!

ps - and JJ lying about pacman not drinking. etc is very bad in my eyes too. just like belicheck and his whole "we had a different interpretation of the rules" bs. be a man and accept the facts, dont try to wiggle and escape culpability. mistakes will happen, acknowledge it and learn from them.

Monkeydad 10-16-2008 01:42 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;490623]No playoff wins since when?[/quote]

Just 13 years. :D

Jake2008 10-16-2008 01:51 PM

You make it sound like he did something great here. Over a 20 year period the franchise went up 10x. He had nothing to do with this, it is the NFL and how good of a job it has done marketing itself. Other franchises are worth alot more now then they were 20 years ago. You make it sound like none of them have gone up in value in the past 20 years.

Also 3 championships in a 20 year period is good, but once again other teams have done this also. And he had nothing to do with those championships, it was Johnson that built that team and is the reason they won those championships. JJ's ego couldn't handle the fact that Johnson was getting the credit and got rid of him and took control until he ran the team into the ground and decided to bring in Parcells who did a good job of rebuilding the team. But JJ is in control once again and the downward spiral has once again begun.

At least Snyder seems to have learned that it is better for him to just sign the checks and leave the football decisions to those that know what they are doing. It didn't take him 20 years to get there, thou JJ still hasn't learned.

GMScud 10-16-2008 02:43 PM

This makes me so happy! Jones is a fool with zero moral fiber, and his team is a total circus. Joke.

53Fan 10-16-2008 03:15 PM

And apparently so are his fans. They all make money, are you getting a cut? I thought being a fan was about winning football games not the owners bank account.

53Fan 10-16-2008 03:18 PM

[quote=Jake2008;490645]You make it sound like he did something great here. Over a 20 year period the franchise went up 10x. He had nothing to do with this, it is the NFL and how good of a job it has done marketing itself. Other franchises are worth alot more now then they were 20 years ago. You make it sound like none of them have gone up in value in the past 20 years.

Also 3 championships in a 20 year period is good, but once again other teams have done this also. And he had nothing to do with those championships, it was Johnson that built that team and is the reason they won those championships. JJ's ego couldn't handle the fact that Johnson was getting the credit and got rid of him and took control until he ran the team into the ground and decided to bring in Parcells who did a good job of rebuilding the team. But JJ is in control once again and the downward spiral has once again begun.

At least Snyder seems to have learned that it is better for him to just sign the checks and leave the football decisions to those that know what they are doing. It didn't take him 20 years to get there, thou JJ still hasn't learned.[/quote]

You are right on the money Jake. People like sandtrapp don't seem to get it. He takes up for JJ like he owes him money.

firstdown 10-16-2008 03:29 PM

Well I learned today why he did not suspend Pacman which was maybe a smart move. If they susp. Pacman they owed Tenn. the 5th round pick and by letting the NFL susp. pacman they now owe Dallas two draft picks. That might not be all right but it goes something like that.

53Fan 10-16-2008 03:34 PM

I understand what you're saying Firstdown but short of murdering Romo I doubt Jones would of suspended him anyway.

sandtrapjack 10-16-2008 04:50 PM

[quote=53Fan;490665]You are right on the money Jake. People like sandtrapp don't seem to get it. He takes up for JJ like he owes him money.[/quote]
You know what I find simply hilarious? Is when you review the Super Bowl history and the records that have been set in the Super Bowl era, the ONLY post-season, playoffs and Super Bowl record held by the Redskins is that for Most Consecutive Games Lost.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/records/playoffs]NFL Playoff Records[/url]

And since acquiring the team in 1989 there has only been 2 teams to win 3 Super Bowls from 1989 to present.

That being Dallas and New England.

I am not saying all of Jerry Jones's decisions have been good, but the good ones far outweigh the bad ones.

jgalecpa 10-16-2008 05:11 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;490702]You know what I find simply hilarious? Is when you review the Super Bowl history and the records that have been set in the Super Bowl era, the ONLY post-season, playoffs and Super Bowl record held by the Redskins is that for Most Consecutive Games Lost.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/records/playoffs"]NFL Playoff Records[/URL]

[/quote]

I don't see that being true.

The record shows:[INDENT]Most Consecutive Games Lost
[INDENT]6 N.Y. Giants, 1939, 1941, 1943-44, 1946, 1950
[/INDENT][/INDENT]With the Redskins being the first team listed in third [U]group[/U] of those who lost -4- games :[INDENT]Washington, 1972-74, 1976
[/INDENT]There are 14 teams above us in this category. The one right above us?[INDENT]Dallas, 1996, 1998-99, 2003, 2006 (current)
[/INDENT]Just the way I see it.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/records/playoffs/team/games"]NFL Playoff Records: Team - Games[/URL]

J-Dawg.

GMScud 10-16-2008 05:46 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;490702]You know what I find simply hilarious? Is when you review the Super Bowl history and the records that have been set in the Super Bowl era, the ONLY post-season, playoffs and Super Bowl record held by the Redskins is that for Most Consecutive Games Lost.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/records/playoffs"]NFL Playoff Records[/URL]

And since acquiring the team in 1989 there has only been 2 teams to win 3 Super Bowls from 1989 to present.

I am not saying all of Jerry Jones's decisions have been good, but the good ones far outweigh the bad ones.[/quote]

I don't see any other owner with a list of top "gaffes." I also don't see any other teams that have non-fiction novels written about their criminal antics, featuring said owner covering up assault, drug use, etc. Sure, he won 3 Super Bowls. Good for him. He also ran Jimmy Johnson out of town afterwards, only to fumble around with the next several coaches. Switzer, Gailey, and Campo were all terrible, and we all know Wade Phillips is a lame duck puppett. Jones is a win at any cost owner, and that cost includes, but is not limited too, throwing ethics out the window.

For every good personnel decision there seems to be a bad one. And nearly all of the recent good ones came with Parcells helping to shop for the gorceries. The bottom line is, this is a cocky team that is consistently too big for their britches, and consistently fails to win in the postseason.

Say all you want about the past. It's a what have you done for me lately league, and ultimately no one cares about good regular season records when you don't back it up in the playoffs. You guys are on the verge of implosion, and Romo is going to get killed if your supposed "best line in the NFL" can't keep him off the turf (knocked down 19x vs. Arizona with a broken bone to show for it).

53Fan 10-16-2008 07:54 PM

I am not saying all of Jerry Jones's decisions have been good, but the good ones far outweigh the bad ones.[/quote]

Thanks for the link sandtrapp. It says the cowgirls lost 6 consecutive playoff games and the Redskins have lost 4 consecutive. How is that setting a record for the Redskins? Do you even bother reading the facts before you post this crap? Your credibility is suspect to say the least.

MTK 10-16-2008 08:00 PM

[quote=53Fan;490729]Thanks for the link sandtrapp. It says the cowgirls lost 6 consecutive playoff games and the Redskins have lost 4 consecutive. How is that setting a record for the Redskins? Do you even bother reading the facts before you post this crap? Your credibility is suspect to say the least.[/quote]

LOL that kinda reminds me of this commercial

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtE1d2fGkY]YouTube - Mr Dumass[/ame]

53Fan 10-16-2008 08:43 PM

:lol: Exactly.

sandtrapjack 10-17-2008 07:16 AM

[quote=53Fan;490729]Thanks for the link sandtrapp. It says the cowgirls lost 6 consecutive playoff games and the Redskins have lost 4 consecutive. How is that setting a record for the Redskins? Do you even bother reading the facts before you post this crap? Your credibility is suspect to say the least.[/quote]
Once again you guys miss the point.

My post said that the ONLY place you see the Redskins is in the MOST CONSECUTIVE LOST. I must stress the word "ONLY".

Yes Dallas is on there for consecutive losses as well, and I did read that. But that is not the ONLY (there's that word again) category that Dallas appears in on that page. Dallas appears in MOST WON, MOST PLAYOFF GAMES WON, MOST CONSECUTIVE PLAYOFF APPEARANCES etc etc....
(and yes Most Consecutive Lost too)

But my POINT was that the ONLY place on that page you see the name WASHINGTON is under MOST CONSECUTIVE LOSSES.

Comprende amigo?

sandtrapjack 10-17-2008 07:35 AM

[quote=GMScud;490711]I don't see any other owner with a list of top "gaffes." I also don't see any other teams that have non-fiction novels written about their criminal antics, featuring said owner covering up assault, drug use, etc. Sure, he won 3 Super Bowls. Good for him. He also ran Jimmy Johnson out of town afterwards, only to fumble around with the next several coaches. Switzer, Gailey, and Campo were all terrible, and we all know Wade Phillips is a lame duck puppett. Jones is a win at any cost owner, and that cost includes, but is not limited too, throwing ethics out the window.[/quote]
Again I say that I have not liked ALL of Jerry Jones decisions. The biggest lame duck decision was the Joey Galloway trade. Took Dallas 6 years to recover from that disaster.

As for the novels it is called "marketability". Publishers won't publish a book that the market indicates will not sell. And the Cowboys are the highes marketed team in pro sports next to the Yankees. So writing the good stuff or the bad stuff is going to sell books. And that is why there are those non-fiction novels.

So as far as marketability is concerned, how many other teams have books written about them? What teams have the most? Give you three guesses and the first 2 do not count.

Win at any cost? Maybe, but as an owner and GM if you are not "in it to win it" then you are in the wrong business and should get out.

[quote=GMScud;490711]Say all you want about the past. It's a what have you done for me lately league, and ultimately no one cares about good regular season records when you don't back it up in the playoffs. You guys are on the verge of implosion, and Romo is going to get killed if your supposed "best line in the NFL" can't keep him off the turf (knocked down 19x vs. Arizona with a broken bone to show for it).[/quote]
Agreed that the O-line is not as advertised. Which in turn makes the entire offense not as advertised either.

And of course you do not want to talk about the past when it comes to Dallas. You want to narrow the conversation around YOUR parameters to keep the Cowboys in the most negative light possible. And you know what, that is cool too, I expect nothing less.

But I ask you in all sincerity, If Jerry Jones purchased the Redskins, would you STOP being a Redskins fan? Would your "high morals" prevent you from being the die hard 'Skins fan you are? Would you walk away from your team because of that non-fiction book? Or would you focus on the successes?

johnerotten 10-17-2008 07:56 AM

he looks like he's tried botox injections that failed.

SmootSmack 10-17-2008 08:16 AM

[quote=sandtrapjack;490773]Once again you guys miss the point.

My post said that the ONLY place you see the Redskins is in the MOST CONSECUTIVE LOST. I must stress the word "ONLY".

Yes Dallas is on there for consecutive losses as well, and I did read that. But that is not the ONLY (there's that word again) category that Dallas appears in on that page. Dallas appears in MOST WON, MOST PLAYOFF GAMES WON, MOST CONSECUTIVE PLAYOFF APPEARANCES etc etc....

But my POINT was that the ONLY place on that page you see the name WASHINGTON is under MOST CONSECUTIVE LOSSES.

Comprende amigo?[/quote]

You're really reaching here. Probably because you have no excuse (such as "we were resting our starters") for the Cowboys' latest loss to the Redskins. When are we going to discuss that by the way? :)

MTK 10-17-2008 08:53 AM

[quote=sandtrapjack;490773][B]Once again you guys miss the point.[/B]

Comprende amigo?[/quote]

probably because it was a weak point to begin with

GMScud 10-17-2008 10:22 AM

[quote=sandtrapjack;490789]Again I say that I have not liked ALL of Jerry Jones decisions. The biggest lame duck decision was the Joey Galloway trade. Took Dallas 6 years to recover from that disaster.

As for the novels it is called "marketability". Publishers won't publish a book that the market indicates will not sell. And the Cowboys are the highes marketed team in pro sports next to the Yankees. So writing the good stuff or the bad stuff is going to sell books. And that is why there are those non-fiction novels.

So as far as marketability is concerned, how many other teams have books written about them? What teams have the most? Give you three guesses and the first 2 do not count.

Win at any cost? Maybe, but as an owner and GM if you are not "in it to win it" then you are in the wrong business and should get out.

Agreed that the O-line is not as advertised. Which in turn makes the entire offense not as advertised either.

And of course you do not want to talk about the past when it comes to Dallas. You want to narrow the conversation around YOUR parameters to keep the Cowboys in the most negative light possible. And you know what, that is cool too, I expect nothing less.

But I ask you in all sincerity, If Jerry Jones purchased the Redskins, would you STOP being a Redskins fan? Would your "high morals" prevent you from being the die hard 'Skins fan you are? Would you walk away from your team because of that non-fiction book? Or would you focus on the successes?[/quote]

To address your points:

-I never said I didn't want to talk about the past. The Skins and Cowboys each have three Super Bowl wins in the last 25 years. We did it with class and character, not criminals and cover-ups. It's easier to get a pass from Jerry Jones than it is from Tony Romo.

-Sure, the novel is marketable because of the Cowboys brand. But if none of that crap went down, there would be no book in the first place. That was my point.

-Owners and GM's should be "in it to win it" as you say. But plenty of them have experienced huge success without the kind of BS Jerry Jones brings to the table. Take the Steelers for example- a class organization with great ownership, 5 rings, a small # of head coaches, and no scandal.

-If Jerry Jones purchased the Skins I would be sick. But I wouldn't stop being a fan of the players and on-field product. I would, however, be very skeptical of the behind-the-scenes stuff, especially having an owner as a full time GM. Not sure why you put "high morals" in quotes. I didn't say I was a poster boy for morality, I simply said Jerry Jones lacks it.

-You're a Cowboys fan, of course I expect you to focus on the successes. But don't be in denial of the circus.

Lady Brave 10-17-2008 10:27 AM

Preach on, brother Scud. Preach on.

MTK 10-17-2008 10:58 AM

I thought this was a good read:

[url=http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=472931]SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists[/url]

Jake2008 10-17-2008 10:59 AM

Like I said before, if you look over a 20 year period the Raiders, Steelers, 49ers and Redskins have also won 3 or more superbowls over a 20 year period. It is not as exclusive as you try to make it sound.

I would also say that the Boys won those superbowls in spite of JJ. As I and others have mentioned a few times, Jimmy is the reason they won those. JJ had very little if anything to do with it. The only thing he did was hire his buddy at the time Jimmy.

[quote=sandtrapjack;490789]Win at any cost? Maybe, but as an owner and GM if you are not "in it to win it" then you are in the wrong business and should get out.
[/quote]

There is a big difference between trying to win at any cost and winning with pride and respect. JJ will do whatever it takes to try and get another superbowl, even if it means signing players that the other 31 teams won't touch or try to cover up whatever he can get away with. You may envy this and think it is great quality, but don't be surprised that others including Boys fans don't.

I understand that you are a huge Boys fan and guess I shouldn't expect anything less but defending your team. But remember you also defended Pacman and how he was nothing but a saint now and Owens and how he is such a team player now and we have already seen what has started happening there. Not to mention the guaranteed win you promised. Sorry I know that is probably still a sore subject. :)

SFREDSKIN 10-17-2008 11:04 AM

One more:

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman/081016]ESPN Page 2 - Pearlman: Cowboys sweep trouble under rug again[/url]

GMScud 10-17-2008 11:35 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;490834]I thought this was a good read:

[URL="http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=472931"]SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists[/URL][/quote]

That is a good read. If Jerry would come out and say something like, "I took a chance on Pacman because I really thought he would turn a corner personally and really help the Cowboys. I was wrong," then I could at least respect him for it. But instead he conducts a BS "internal investigation," and flat out lies about the severity of the situation to save his own plastic face. I got a chuckle out of how different the "facts" of the incident were when you compared Goodell's investigation to Jerry's.

53Fan 10-17-2008 11:45 AM

To tell you the truth, I don't understand a lot of your points sandtrapp. Yes, the Cowboys have won super bowls. Yes the Redskins have won super bowls. Okay. Anytime we beat you, we listen to the "excuses" why it happened. We have'nt heard alot about this last game we played. I've not heard you give us any credit, but thats alright, the win is enough. One of the questions you did'nt ask was, " If your owner was doing some pretty lame s**t, would you go on a cowboys board and try to convince them how brilliant your owner was?" NO, I would'nt. There have been times these last few years when it has been hard to be a Redskin fan. DEION SANDERS. Do you think we were turning a blind eye to Snyder and talking about how much money he's made and what a great owner he was when he made that stupid move? If he were the owner during Gibbs first go-round and he ran him outta town after winning a couple of super bowls, do you think we would say years later after not even winning a playoff game in 12 years, "Yeah that Snyder is a smart guy look at all the money he's made." Of course not. We are REDSKIN fans first and foremost. We want what is best for our TEAM, and if you don't think Dan Snyder or Vinny Cerrato catch HELL around here if they F'up, then you're not paying attention. We don't turn a blind eye to our owner around here. He seems to have matured and has us heading in the right direction. Now if you believe Jones has done the same thing, fine. You have a right to your opinion. But if you think you can come on here and convince us he's anything other than an egotistical, meddling owner, who after Jimmy Johnson won him a couple of super bowls, decided he, as an owner, could win no matter who the coach is because he was the BRAINS behind those victories, then you're barking up the wrong tree. Have you noticed we're not talking about the actual games? Why?

Monkeydad 10-17-2008 01:07 PM

[quote=sandtrapjack;490773]Once again you guys miss the point.

Comprende amigo?[/quote]

So using your logic, the Buffalo Bills have the greatest dynasty of all time.

53Fan 10-17-2008 01:25 PM

[url=http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8678708/]FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Jerry Jones exposed as gutless by Goodell's ruling[/url] A pretty good read.

firstdown 10-17-2008 01:32 PM

[quote=53Fan;490861][URL="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8678708/"]FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Jerry Jones exposed as gutless by Goodell's ruling[/URL] A pretty good read.[/quote]

Well not sure if thats true or if he was protecting his draft pick. I heard that if JJ susp. Pacman then they owed Tenn. the draft pick but because Goodell susp. Pacman now Tenn. owes Dallas two draft pick if I heard it correctly. I heard this from one of the Dallas reporters which was on the Redskins network yesterday.

celts32 10-17-2008 02:21 PM

All that was covered under #9 when the idiot fired Jimmy Johnson who was responsible for those Super Bowls.

53Fan 10-17-2008 03:55 PM

[quote=firstdown;490863]Well not sure if thats true or if he was protecting his draft pick. I heard that if JJ susp. Pacman then they owed Tenn. the draft pick but because Goodell susp. Pacman now Tenn. owes Dallas two draft pick if I heard it correctly. I heard this from one of the Dallas reporters which was on the Redskins network yesterday.[/quote]

If there were no draft picks involved do you think he would have suspended him? I don't. JMO.

53Fan 10-18-2008 11:21 PM

Just saw this. The Cowgirls are being fined for Pacman. [url=http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/17/new-nfl-policy-drains-cowboys-wallet/]NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive New NFL policy drains Cowboys’ wallet «[/url]

Lotus 10-19-2008 12:36 AM

I'll bet the Cowpaddies get fined again later for Pacman, too, when he does something dumb.

However, it is not really a fine for the 'Boys. They are paying Pacman's salary to the NFL, not to Pacman.