Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thomas should be the third wideout (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=26028)

TurlockSkinsFan 10-16-2008 12:37 AM

Thomas should be the third wideout

First off, I just want to start by saying this is my first thread so take it easy on me. Ok, so is it just me or should Devin Thomas be the third wideout? I believe that this stretch of games would be perfect for the kid to get some pt. Thrash is good, dependable old, just like your favorite tee-shirt. Great to lounge around the house in, but it's not gonna win you style points with the ladies. With this claim I'm saying that we know what we're getting from Thrash, at this point in his career it's not much. Thomas should be allowed to learn under fire if you will he is clearly more athletic and faster than Thrash let him prove himself. If he fails it keeps old man Thrash fresh for later in the season and at least we know for sure he's not ready. I get a bit envious watching other rooks play well, just give the kid a chance. Thanks for listening everyone.

jamf 10-16-2008 12:41 AM

Re: Thomas should be the third wideout

I would definitely like to see DT play more but at the same time Thrash is a better player right now.

We proved last week that we can't take an opponent for granted, There is no way we should throw him out there just to get some playing time.

Ruhskins 10-16-2008 12:43 AM

When he stops with the offensive pass interferance penalties, he can be #3.

Meks 10-16-2008 01:25 AM

^ good point.

stick to slants reverses and screens for now.... seems everytime hes targeted deep, its an OFF. PI.

Dirtbag59 10-16-2008 01:29 AM

[quote=jamf;490458]I would definitely like to see DT play more but at the same time Thrash is a better player right now.

We proved last week that we can't take an opponent for granted, There is no way we should throw him out there just to get some playing time.[/quote]

Agreed. This isn't Madden we're talking about here. Besides we can afford to be patient, Recievers take a long time to develop and we're doing fine in the passing game with minimal contributions from the rookies.

deathGRINDx 10-16-2008 01:59 AM

He has the size, speed and talent to be a threat, but i cant help but be dissapointed in lack of production.

redskinrob 10-16-2008 07:47 AM

I agree with getting him more involved, but keeping him to the slants and screens. It will build his confidence with some more touches. He could be a factor in the redzone with his size, quick slant or screen with a broken tackle he could do some damage.

Daseal 10-16-2008 08:24 AM

I'd like both of our rookie WRs to get some play time. I agree with plays that raise their confidence and are safe early. Especially if we ever get into a game that we have clear control of, we should target the young guys some.

SkinFan4Life 10-16-2008 08:29 AM

I would like to see JZ call a couple 4 WR sets in obvious running situations and take a couple shots downfield just to keep the D honest.

JLW428 10-16-2008 08:45 AM

[quote=SkinFan4Life;490503]I would like to see JZ call a couple 4 WR sets in obvious running situations and take a couple shots downfield just to keep the D honest.[/quote]

The D stays honest currently because of Santana. This is the reason the CP is leading the league in rushing yards.

MTK 10-16-2008 08:51 AM

I see Thomas on the field plenty. He needs to start winning the trust of JC to earn more looks, simple as that.

GPRedskin 10-16-2008 09:46 AM

Once he stops making mistakes then he can be #3. He needs to learn from a true pro like Thrash for a little longer. The future looks bright for DT.

SouperMeister 10-16-2008 10:50 AM

[quote=JLW428;490508]The D stays honest currently because of Santana. This is the reason the CP is leading the league in rushing yards.[/quote]I would like to see Thomas play to keep defenses from completely overcommitting to defend Santana. Thomas is our only other WR with game breaking speed.

Stacks42 10-16-2008 10:54 AM

I've got an idea, Move DT to kick returner, and move Rock to punt returner. That would get him on the field and possibly jump start our punt return game.

[URL="http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/ThomasCareer.pdf"]http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/ThomasCareer.pdf[/URL]

CA_Redskins 10-16-2008 11:07 AM

[quote=SkinFan4Life;490503]I would like to see JZ call a couple 4 WR sets in obvious running situations and take a couple shots downfield just to keep the D honest.[/quote]

Um... you must be a big Collins fan. Do you like seeing JC on his back picking grass out of his mouth? This didn't go so great last week.

Our line is having a hard enough time with the pass protection. Now you want to be down a man?

Thomas will develop. He'll get more touches as the season goes. Give it time.

skinsfan69 10-16-2008 11:25 AM

So far he doesn't deserve to be the #3. But I'd like to see him get some more balls thrown his way too.

Drift Reality 10-16-2008 11:43 AM

[quote=TurlockSkinsFan;490457]First off, I just want to start by saying this is my first thread so take it easy on me. Ok, so is it just me or should Devin Thomas be the third wideout? I believe that this stretch of games would be perfect for the kid to get some pt. Thrash is good, dependable old, just like your favorite tee-shirt. Great to lounge around the house in, but it's not gonna win you style points with the ladies. With this claim I'm saying that we know what we're getting from Thrash, at this point in his career it's not much. Thomas should be allowed to learn under fire if you will he is clearly more athletic and faster than Thrash let him prove himself. If he fails it keeps old man Thrash fresh for later in the season and at least we know for sure he's not ready. I get a bit envious watching other rooks play well, just give the kid a chance. Thanks for listening everyone.[/quote]

Have we been watching the same two players?

Devin Thomas has actually hurt the team with his mistakes. You don't just throw a rookie in above a veteran who knows what he is doing because of 'style points.'

It's true that Thrash doesn't have the athleticism that Thomas does at this point in his career but that is really irrelevant considering the other contributions he makes. The guy has been consistently one of our most solid and professional players.

hail_2_da_skins 10-16-2008 11:55 AM

Thrash has earned the third wide receiver position. He runs precise routes and makes the tough catch. On the other hand, Thomas route running needs work and he has yet to master utilizing his body without drawing penalties. The four wide receiver set has been disastrous for the Skins. The Skins struggle to protect the quarterback in the four wide receiver set. Jansen and Samuels have been beat on the four wide set.

CA_Redskins 10-16-2008 01:21 PM

[quote=hail_2_da_skins;490590]The four wide receiver set has been disastrous for the Skins. The Skins struggle to protect the quarterback in the four wide receiver set. Jansen and Samuels have been beat on the four wide set.[/quote]

Thank you!

Someone else who is watching the same Samuels I have been watching.

Thrash... Thomas... who cares?

That being said, I'd rather see Thomas make the catches over James. Split the time and get DT some action in a game. Let him make his mistakes and learn.

If we lose because of something Thomas does, we don't deserve to win the game anyway.

Eknox 10-16-2008 03:14 PM

I think onc he learns the position he will be awesome , but for now let him learn slowly, and us keep winning

GoSkins! 10-16-2008 03:25 PM

I think some people here are forgetting the big picture here. This is a "character" team where coaches require players to earn their way onto the field. It is clear that Zorn wants to get Devin Thomas playing, but he hasn't been working hard enough to earn his way past Thrash. This is a very important lesson for the young, "full of themselves", rookies to learn. When he steps up and earns his way out there more, he will be better for it... and the team will be better because of it.

Dblock804 10-16-2008 03:36 PM

Thrash took a lickin when he was hit in the back by his own man. You might see DT get some action. The boy could put on a few more lbs. he looks a bit on the scroney side

Terpfan76 10-16-2008 11:44 PM

Devin Thomas has some good receivers to learn from. It's easy to forget that Thomas is a very raw receiver, he only started what, one year at Michigan State? He needs time to develop and I like the way Zorn is handling things. Let's keep getting the ball to Santana and Cooley and let Portis carry us to victory.

Lotus 10-16-2008 11:47 PM

[quote=GoSkins!;490669]I think some people here are forgetting the big picture here. This is a "character" team where coaches require players to earn their way onto the field. It is clear that Zorn wants to get Devin Thomas playing, but he hasn't been working hard enough to earn his way past Thrash. This is a very important lesson for the young, "full of themselves", rookies to learn. When he steps up and earns his way out there more, he will be better for it... and the team will be better because of it.[/quote]

Well said.

Include Kelly (if he gets out of the clinic) and Davis with this.

I think we have a class of rookie receivers who may be really good next year but lagging in this year.

Skins4L 10-17-2008 04:55 AM

hell get his chance, i dont mind James Thrash either, hes got pretty good hands. Devin Thomas needs to find a way to take one of those Slot-Reverses to the house and you bet theyll find a way to get em involved.

johnerotten 10-17-2008 07:58 AM

i'd take james thrash over thomas at 3rd string everytime.

4mrusmc 10-17-2008 09:34 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;490510]I see Thomas on the field plenty. He needs to start winning the trust of JC to earn more looks, simple as that.[/quote]
Well said Matty, as soon as he earns the trust of the coaches and players he will be in on more offensive touches. He is still raw and learning.

Now as far as Kelly, that guy just needs to get ready to play some football some time this year.

NYCskinfan82 10-17-2008 05:05 PM

I'm dieing to see DT on the field more often, but he needs to earn it.

Paintrain 10-17-2008 05:31 PM

I think that Thomas can do AT LEAST what Thrash gives us in the passing game, which is usually a dropped streak pass or a fade run 3 yards out of bounds per game.

KLHJ2 10-17-2008 06:05 PM

The government should pay me money for doing jack shit because I am entitled. Screw working for it!

HipHipHooray 10-17-2008 10:12 PM

DT will get there soon enough. Seems like many of his screw ups also nullified big or at least decent plays on his part. He will have to jsut earn his way. In regards to him returning the ball...nope. Did you watch him do it in the preseason? Every time he ran it was like he was concentrating on taking the hit as opposed to just running and trying to get past. He would always hesitate, square up, and take the hit. Not even trying to make a cut or move. I kept thinking the play must be to run straight into the first person you see and fall down. But - i think he will become a real good receiver and soon.....needs to work on his TD dance though. Even if his first TD hadn't been called back for penalty...the dance alone should have cancelled it out.

TurlockSkinsFan 10-17-2008 10:31 PM

[quote=Paintrain;490957]I think that Thomas can do AT LEAST what Thrash gives us in the passing game, which is usually a dropped streak pass or a fade run 3 yards out of bounds per game.[/quote]

Thank you Paintrain maybe I didn't specify this clearly enough when I started this thread, but this pretty much hit the nail on the head. I like Thrash, he's a good guy, dependable player but Thomas has more upside. And as far as being raw, to debut what every one is saying in response to my initial statement Thomas is a big physical guy you can't learn to perfect that in practice. The offensive pass interference calls will give way to first downs. If I remember right the was some guy in Dallas that would push off all the time, he never got called for it. Guarantee you he didn't learn that in non-contact practice.

hucapn 10-18-2008 11:45 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;490510]I see Thomas on the field plenty. He needs to start winning the trust of JC to earn more looks, simple as that.[/quote]

Great point. Chemistry between QB and WR cannot be forced. JC is doing a great job leading this team so it id the fault of Devin Thomas that he's not putting himself in the mix. When you rack up penalties, it's hard to gain trust from your teammates. I agree he needs to be in there. But, Thrash is playing better than him right now. Plus we have depth at the position and that's the main thing. I know we al remember when due to injury a few years ago a three wide set was Thrash, Randle El, and McCardell!

sportscurmudgeon 10-18-2008 10:13 PM

If the Skins play Thomas as the #3 WR now, they risk a locker-room problem. On [B]good [/B]NFL teams, the coaches play the players who produce - - not the ones who were drafted high or the ones with great potential or the ones with high ratings in Madden 08 - - the ones who produce.

Unless I dozed off during a game this season, Thomas has produced precisely [B]NOTHING[/B] yet. He's been on the field; he's drawn penalties; he's made [B]ZERO[/B] plays of any consequence.

When he takes advantage of his time on the field and starts to do something positive, he can become the #3 WR - - and maybe someday the #1 WR. But to toss him into that slot now when he has not earned it and when the guy ahead of him has not been carried off the field on the cart would be a bad coaching move for this team. I think Jim Zorn knows that...

GMScud 10-18-2008 10:21 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;491109]If the Skins play Thomas as the #3 WR now, they risk a locker-room problem. On [B]good [/B]NFL teams, the coaches play the players who produce - - not the ones who were drafted high or the ones with great potential or the ones with high ratings in Madden 08 - - the ones who produce.

Unless I dozed off during a game this season, Thomas has produced precisely [B]NOTHING[/B] yet. He's been on the field; he's drawn penalties; he's made [B]ZERO[/B] plays of any consequence.

When he takes advantage of his time on the field and starts to do something positive, he can become the #3 WR - - and maybe someday the #1 WR. But to toss him into that slot now when he has not earned it and when the guy ahead of him has not been carried off the field on the cart would be a bad coaching move for this team. I think Jim Zorn knows that...[/quote]

Well, he has produced just slightly more than nothing- he had a big 3rd down grab against the Eagles, but I suppose his three bonehead offensive pass interference penalties thus far negate that effort.

Apparently the fact that he isn't more involved is his own doing. He didn't show up for training camp in good enough shape, and he's struggled to pick up the offense. Maybe he's not too sharp, maybe it's a tough offense to learn, and maybe he isn't studying enough. Or it could just be an combination of all three factors. Either way, it's up to him. Step it up Devin.

CA_Redskins 10-19-2008 12:32 AM

I agree that this is a "character" team and players need to earn their spot on the field.

But... we are talking about the #3 WR here. What, is Thrash that great that he isn't easily interchangeable with DT?

Give me a break. Put in DT and let him develop. Trust me, you will be thankful come week 16 and we are getting ready for the playoffs

SFREDSKIN 10-23-2008 09:47 AM

Could this be the week he has a breakout day? He's going back home to Michigan and I'm sure he will have family and friends in the stands. Will Zorn feature him more this week?

dmvskinzfan08 10-25-2008 12:17 PM

[quote=deathGRINDx;490476]He has the size, speed and talent to be a threat, but i cant help but be dissapointed in lack of production.[/quote]

I think he will flourish. I just think it is taking time for Zorn and even Campbell to trust in him. If he has a break out game this week it will totally change the dynamics of our offense. Because it will keep defenses honest. because they will double moss. Leaving Devin with the opportunity to toast some people and open up things for ARE and Cooley too. If we can get Davis and Thomas more involved in the offense. Our O might be scary. I am hoping this clicks in the second half of the season and that Jason Taylor gets healthy. If so we might be right where we want to be for the playoffs.

johnerotten 10-25-2008 02:14 PM

i'd rather have thrash on the field any day before thomas,especially now since all he does is committ penalities now.

nyredskinsfan 10-25-2008 03:01 PM

[quote=JLW428;490508]The D stays honest currently because of Santana. This is the reason the CP is leading the league in rushing yards.[/quote]

Santana was there last year. Portis has changed his running style and our OF line is better.