Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Thread Hell (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Is Springs lacking Heart?? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=26070)

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 02:38 PM

Is Springs lacking Heart??

Why is he constantly out week after week with some stupid calf injury? Every week we hear, oh I am more concerned about this guy or this guy, yet it is Springs the one to sit out or leave after the first half. This week everyone was very concerned with Smooty, yet he is out there practicing. Ill never forget the year before he left when he had that shoulder injury, but still stuck some big WR for a great open field tackle.

So my question is.... Where is Springs' heart?

johnerotten 10-17-2008 02:40 PM

Re: Is Springs lacking Heart??

he has plenty of heart!he's played in the nfl 12 years and his body is finally catching up to him.

redsk1 10-17-2008 02:42 PM

Some may question it, but I think it's just the fact that he gets nicked up alot. Don't forget that SS has played hurt for us alot too. I have full confidence that he'll play if it's possible. He's not the type of guy to sit out for no reason.

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 02:44 PM

[quote=redsk1;490885]Some may question it, but I think it's just the fact that he gets nicked up alot. Don't forget that SS has played hurt for us alot too. I have full confidence that he'll play if it's possible. He's not the type of guy to sit out for no reason.[/quote]

I guess the last few weeks have really bothered me. He does a wonderful job on Owens, then sits out the second half. He just seemed fine to me. Maybe the media is just downplaying the severity of the injury?

Scott 10-17-2008 02:46 PM

and oh BTW, the latest report is that Smoot is most likely out this week. So minus Smoot and maybe Springs could spell trouble. We need to limit the number of plays Torrence gets.

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 02:56 PM

[quote=Scott;490887]and oh BTW, the latest report is that Smoot is most likely out this week. So minus Smoot and maybe Springs could spell trouble. We need to limit the number of plays Torrence gets.[/quote]

I Just read that Smooty practiced today and will most likely play Sunday. But the catalyst of this thread was that Springs sat out after aggravating his calf injury at the end of practice yesterday.

MTK 10-17-2008 03:00 PM

Sorry, I think it's dumb to question his heart. Anyone remember the Chicago game last year where he was supposed to not play with a back injury, and he toughed it out and had 2 INTs that helped lead the late season playoff run?

If he can't go, he can't go. I don't see where there's any solid reasoning behind questioning his heart.

DieHardSkinsFan777 10-17-2008 03:10 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490883]Why is he constantly out week after week with some stupid calf injury? Every week we hear, oh I am more concerned about this guy or this guy, yet it is Springs the one to sit out or leave after the first half. This week everyone was very concerned with Smooty, yet he is out there practicing. Ill never forget the year before he left when he had that shoulder injury, but still stuck some big WR for a great open field tackle.

So my question is.... [B]Where is Springs' heart?[/B][/quote]

I would have to think its in texas with his dying father. On to his health, he has had several injury problems over the last few years. Lets just hope we can get him up to full speed down the stretch when our #1 CB will be needed the most.

sportscurmudgeon 10-17-2008 03:16 PM

If there was anything wrong with Shawn Springs' heart or his toughness or his desire to play football or anything along those lines, he would have been out of the NFL about 8-10 years ago.

The "problem" he has is that he is getting old. [Sure beats the alternative!]

Time and tide wait for no man...

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 03:22 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;490890]Sorry, I think it's dumb to question his heart. Anyone remember the Chicago game last year where he was supposed to not play with a back injury, and he toughed it out and had 2 INTs that helped lead the late season playoff run?

If he can't go, he can't go. I don't see where there's any solid reasoning behind questioning his heart.[/quote]

I Don't think it is stupid at all. I don't see the passion this year. Who knows why, maybe he just is not as crazy about the game as he used to be. One year can make a big difference.

MTK 10-17-2008 03:33 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490900]I Don't think it is stupid at all. I don't see the passion this year. Who knows why, maybe he just is not as crazy about the game as he used to be. One year can make a big difference.[/quote]

So why didn't he just retire?

If the team doctors are saying he can't play, then it's really out of his hands.

As far as his passion, did you miss his shutdown performance on T.O.?

People are so quick to turn on players it amazes me.

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 03:40 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;490902]So why didn't he just retire?

If the team doctors are saying he can't play, then it's really out of his hands.

[B]As far as his passion, did you miss his shutdown performance on T.O.?[/B]

People are so quick to turn on players it amazes me.[/quote]

Yep I did for the first half... He really did a great job in the second half sticking to the bench..... I am not turning on him. Your opinion is not the only correct or worthy opinion Matty. It is just MY observation that he might be lacking 100% desire to be in there even though when he is in there he is a great shutdown CB.

MTK 10-17-2008 03:45 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490906]Yep I did for the first half... He really did a great job in the second half sticking to the bench..... I am not turning on him. [B]Your opinion is not the only correct or worthy opinion Matty. It is just MY observation that he might be lacking 100% desire to be in there even though when he is in there he is a great shutdown CB[/B].[/quote]

I never said anything about me being right and you wrong. You offered an opinion, and my opinion is I don't see any solid reasoning behind it. You see a guy who has no passion and no heart, I'm seeing a guy that's simply banged up to the point where he simply cannot play. And based on his track record, I think the guy has proven he will play hurt when he can.

I'm assuming he's not holding himself out of action. Should he go against the team doctor's determination that he can't play?

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 03:50 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;490909]I never said anything about me being right and you wrong. You offered an opinion, and my opinion is I don't see any solid reasoning behind it. You see a guy who has no passion and no heart, I'm seeing a guy that's simply banged up to the point where he simply cannot play. And based on his track record, I think the guy has proven he will play hurt when he can.

I'm assuming he's not holding himself out of action. Should he go against the team doctor's determination that he can't play?[/quote]

Well to me it just seems odd that it usually is another player with the more severe diagnosis, and Springs is usually given the probable or not as serious tag. Like this week for instance. Smoot is going to play even though he was a strong doubtful yesterday.

Dude don't get me wrong, I Love Springs. When he is on form he can take any elite WR out that you throw at him... I just would like to see him out there and these little calf problems are really frustrating me.

MTK 10-17-2008 03:54 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490917]Well to me it just seems odd that it usually is another player with the more severe diagnosis, and Springs is usually given the probable or not as serious tag. Like this week for instance. Smoot is going to play even though he was a strong doubtful yesterday.

Dude don't get me wrong, I Love Springs. When he is on form he can take any elite WR out that you throw at him... I just would like to see him out there and these little calf problems are really frustrating me.[/quote]

Little calf problem? Have you looked over his medicals or something? Just curious how you know it's just a little problem.

Schneed10 10-17-2008 03:54 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;490909][B]I never said anything about me being right and you wrong[/B]. You offered an opinion, and my opinion is I don't see any solid reasoning behind it. You see a guy who has no passion and no heart, I'm seeing a guy that's simply banged up to the point where he simply cannot play. And based on his track record, I think the guy has proven he will play hurt when he can.

I'm assuming he's not holding himself out of action. Should he go against the team doctor's determination that he can't play?[/quote]

I'll say it then, Matty's right and DaveyFoSho is wrong, because this thread is...

RETARDED!

53Fan 10-17-2008 04:05 PM

[quote=Schneed10;490924]I'll say it then, Matty's right and DaveyFoSho is wrong, because this thread is...

RETARDED![/quote]

I'm not sure I understand Schneed. Can you make how you feel a little more clear? :laughing-

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 04:19 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;490923]Little calf problem? Have you looked over his medicals or something? Just curious how you know it's just a little problem.[/quote]
They are probably downplaying it. They have been describing it as a minor tweak and things of that nature.

MTK 10-17-2008 04:23 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490938]They are probably downplaying it. They have been describing it as a minor tweak and things of that nature.[/quote]

Considering it kept him out of the opener and significant time since then, I think it's safe to say it's a little more than a minor thing. Or at the very least, it's a "minor injury" that he simply keeps reaggravating. And by playing perhaps it could worsen.

53Fan 10-17-2008 04:43 PM

Springs has heart. He WANTS to play. [URL="http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/"]http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/[/URL]

Swarley 10-17-2008 04:52 PM

[url=http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/News___Notes__Springs_Doubtful_For_Browns_Game_3849.jsp]News & Notes: Springs Doubtful For Browns Game[/url]

I believe this is what you were trying to post :)

anyways, I think to question the heart of a man that is not only dealing with a nagging injury but also the situation with his father is just a bit ignorant.

53Fan 10-17-2008 04:57 PM

Thanks GreekSkin. :)

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 05:26 PM

[quote=GreekSkin;490946][URL="http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/News___Notes__Springs_Doubtful_For_Browns_Game_3849.jsp"]News & Notes: Springs Doubtful For Browns Game[/URL]

I believe this is what you were trying to post :)

anyways, I think to question the heart of a man that is not only dealing with a nagging injury but also the situation with his father is just a bit ignorant.[/quote]

If anything his father's situation would prove my point? Perhaps his mind is elsewhere? Christ you post a simple opinion and you get attacked and called ignorant....... Cool.....

Paintrain 10-17-2008 05:30 PM

He does seem to have a chronic case of bitchassness.. He has missed 2 divisional games out of 3 and has only played a full 16 games twice since 2000. He's not what one would call 'durable'.

skinsfan_nn 10-17-2008 05:33 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490954][B]If anything his father's situation would prove my point?[/B] Perhaps his mind is elsewhere? Christ you post a simple opinion and you get attacked and called ignorant....... Cool.....[/quote]

How so,let me get this right. Due to his father dying and SS has a heavy heart and/or mind you somehow think that has an effect on his injury status or ability to play ball?

IMO it would be vise versa. A release to get on the field and forget about family issues of such serious nature.

Hog1 10-17-2008 05:40 PM

[quote=Paintrain;490956]He does seem to have a chronic case of bitchassness.. He has missed 2 divisional games out of 3 and has only played a full 16 games twice since 2000. He's not what one would call 'durable'.[/quote]
As somebody pointed out earlier, we NEED to be shopping CB in the offseason and draft (hopefully not before). Whatever the cause, Springs can be counted on no longer

Swarley 10-17-2008 05:43 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490954]If anything his father's situation would prove my point? Perhaps his mind is elsewhere? Christ you post a simple opinion and you get attacked and called ignorant....... Cool.....[/quote]

ok so maybe ignorant was the wrong word but I couldnt think of anything else at the time lol sorry

as for his father's situation proving your point, I really don't follow what you're trying to say.

SmootSmack 10-17-2008 05:46 PM

[quote=redsk1;490885]Some may question it, but I think it's just the fact that he gets nicked up alot. Don't forget that SS has played hurt for us alot too. I have full confidence that he'll play if it's possible. He's not the type of guy to sit out for no reason.[/quote]

Well put

53Fan 10-17-2008 05:49 PM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490954]If anything his father's situation would prove my point? Perhaps his mind is elsewhere? Christ you post a simple opinion and you get attacked and called ignorant....... Cool.....[/quote]

It's nothing personal Davey. It's just that we're sitting at 4-2 after 2 big road wins against 2 of our biggest rivals and it seems like every other post is questioning somebody on this team. Springs has missed alot of games and it gets frustrating but I don't think his heart is the issue. Without the turnovers against the Rams, we'd be sitting at 5-1. Not bad for a bunch of heartless-washed up-lost a step-injury prone-slippery handed players who should be cut or benched.

SmootSmack 10-17-2008 05:50 PM

Then your thread should have been "Is Springs Too Distracted to Play" or "Where is Springs' Focus" something along those lines. Because that's a legit discussion. His father is in a coma, he and his wife are going through a divorce (it may be final already), he's dealing with custody issues regarding his kids, his stepmother is battling cancer. That has nothing to do with whether he has heart.

DaveyFoSho 10-17-2008 06:00 PM

[quote=53Fan;490964]It's nothing personal Davey. It's just that we're sitting at 4-2 after 2 big road wins against 2 of our biggest rivals and it seems like every other post is questioning somebody on this team. Springs has missed alot of games and it gets frustrating but I don't think his heart is the issue. Without the turnovers against the Rams, we'd be sitting at 5-1. N[B]ot bad for a bunch of heartless-washed up-lost a step-injury prone-slippery handed players who should be cut or benched.[/B][/quote]

I lol'd.

HipHipHooray 10-17-2008 10:14 PM

And my opinion if he only plays two games a year and shuts down TO then I am happy.

DarkKnight 10-18-2008 12:04 AM

[quote=DaveyFoSho;490883]Why is he constantly out week after week with some stupid calf injury? Every week we hear, oh I am more concerned about this guy or this guy, yet it is Springs the one to sit out or leave after the first half. This week everyone was very concerned with Smooty, yet he is out there practicing. Ill never forget the year before he left when he had that shoulder injury, but still stuck some big WR for a great open field tackle.

So my question is.... Where is Springs' heart?[/quote]

Dude thats dumb........did he not beat up T.O in the Dallas game......he stepped up and jammed him like hell.......dont question his heart......next Thread Please

rypper11 10-18-2008 05:30 AM

I think that when SS is slowed by an injury he doesn't want to hurt the team. Think about the position he plays. It would be easier to play with a broken forearm than a "tweaked" calf or hamstring. If he played the 2nd half against Dallas or the Giants game and got torched because he couldn't keep up with the wr we'd all be wondering why he was in the game.

dmek25 10-18-2008 08:18 AM

i just think there are certain players that have no problem playing hurt. and others that will not play unless they are 100%. i think Springs wants to perform at peak performance. and if he cant, he doesn't play

jgalecpa 10-18-2008 10:33 AM

I'm not a doctor, and don't know if any of the poster's to this thread are,

However, it seems your legs are the most important part of your body if your job is to put yourself in position to cover a streaking receiver.

The effect of any injury in the legs would have a magnified effect on his ability to cover.

I don't doubt his heart.

His legs may doing what my legs do every time I run, but I don't doubt his heart.

J-Dawg.

over the mountain 10-18-2008 10:50 AM

dont worry man, your not the only one who thinks one or two players on our 53 man roster lack that certain 110% drive and dedication. but there is no stat for "heart" so unless a player pulls a shawn andrews or michael westbrook then there is no real proof to support your feeling.

i dont think springs is as dedicated to this team as i would like (i demand 110% thoo which you cant reasonably expect from every player) and his feelings that he was going to be cut or released at the end of last season may have some lingering effect as well as he refusing to take a pay cut like the skins asked.

if there were big rumors that your company was going to get rid of you and asked for a pay cut to the point you were saying good bye to your co-workers at the end of the fiscal year, do you think this would play alil bit on your psyche next year?

did we forget the off-season comments between skins and springs? did he not say he didnt think he was coming back next year?

all this said, shawn springs is a professional and comes plays 100% when he is on the field. reasonable minds can disagree on whether he lacks that extra 10% needed to become a team leader and champion.

OP - to make a thread of your type you need to come with more than just gut feelings, unfortunately this topic is subjective and non-quantative so its hard to discuss beyond opinions.

go skins!!!

ps - dont jump on me, like the OP i like springs and believe he plays like a true professional at 100% when some players might lack that professionalism needed after last season.

SeasonTicketHolder 10-18-2008 10:55 AM

[quote=over the mountain;491037]dont worry man, your not the only one who thinks one or two players on our 53 man roster lack that certain 110% drive and dedication. but there is no stat for "heart" so unless a player pulls a shawn andrews or michael westbrook then there is no real proof to support your feeling.

i dont think springs is as dedicated to this team as i would like (i demand 110% thoo which you cant reasonably expect from every player) and his feelings that he was going to be cut or released at the end of last season may have some lingering effect as well as he refusing to take a pay cut like the skins asked.

if there were big rumors that your company was going to get rid of you and asked for a pay cut to the point you were saying good bye to your co-workers at the end of the fiscal year, do you think this would play alil bit on your psyche next year?

did we forget the off-season comments between skins and springs? did he not say he didnt think he was coming back next year?

all this said, shawn springs is a professional and comes plays 100% when he is on the field. reasonable minds can disagree on whether he lacks that extra 10% needed to become a team leader and champion.

OP - to make a thread of your type you need to come with more than just gut feelings, unfortunately this topic is subjective and non-quantative so its hard to discuss beyond opinions.

go skins!!!

ps - dont jump on me, like the OP i like springs and believe he plays like a true professional at 100% when some players might lack that professionalism needed after last season.[/quote]

good post

CrazyCanuck 10-20-2008 02:29 PM

I'm a big Springs fan as well. With the exception of London (and maybe psycho Horton) he's the best player on our D.

But I have finally come to the realization that he just can't be counted on. Maybe he'll play, maybe he won't...

I think we're best off saving him for the big games. Let him sit against the Clevelands and Detroits of the world, and hopefully he'll be 100% for the big division games down the stretch.

skinsfan69 10-20-2008 02:39 PM

Springs isn't lacking heart. He just can't stay healthy anymore. Why would we want a starting corner out there w/ a bad calf? I think it's time to move in another direction next year.