Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   After Setback, Kelly May Be Headed for IR (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=26174)

SFREDSKIN 10-22-2008 03:34 PM

After Setback, Kelly May Be Headed for IR

[url=http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/]Redskins Insider[/url]

wilsowilso 10-22-2008 03:41 PM

Re: After Setback, Kelly May Be Headed for IR

Put that bitch on IR already. Hopefully he will be healthy next year.

doughtydoubter 10-22-2008 03:44 PM

lame

GMScud 10-22-2008 03:53 PM

We should have IR'd him from the get go apparently. The thing that really annoys me is that we knew before the draft he had knee issues- it was a red flag with him for sure - yet we drafted him anyway. And surprise surprise, his knee has been drained so many times the Redskins may hire him a full time plumber.

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 03:56 PM

[quote=GMScud;492812]We should have IR'd him from the get go apparently. The thing that really annoys me is that we knew before the draft he had knee issues- it was a red flag with him for sure - yet we drafted him anyway. And surprise surprise, his knee has been drained so many times the Redskins may hire him a full time plumber.[/quote]

We just hired Joe the Plumber as Dr. Andrew's top assistant :)

GMScud 10-22-2008 03:57 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;492814]We just hired Joe the Plumber as Dr. Andrew's top assistant :)[/quote]

HAHAHA! Well played sir. Well played indeed.

firstdown 10-22-2008 04:09 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;492814]We just hired Joe the Plumber as Dr. Andrew's top assistant :)[/quote]

But Joe the Plumber does not have a license.

mredskins 10-22-2008 04:20 PM

[quote=firstdown;492817]But Joe the Plumber does not have a license.[/quote]

For that kinda of drain you don't need one!

dmvskinzfan08 10-22-2008 04:28 PM

WTF? :doh: So are we looking to bring on another receiver?..the joe the pumber remarks are hilarious..lol

MTK 10-22-2008 04:33 PM

Oh well, it's not like we didn't know this was coming. Get him on IR so he can start rehabing for next year. There are a couple of guys we had in training camp available.

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 04:35 PM

I don't think they need to bring another WR really. But if they want to bring one back....Maurice Mann is tearing it up for the Eskimos up in the CFL: 5 games, 22 catches, 298 yards, 3 TDs

Seriously though, totally sucks about Kelly but let's just flush this season for him (see that? another plumber joke) and start fresh in 2009

firstdown 10-22-2008 04:39 PM

We are not as clogged up at the WR spot as we once were.

skinsfan_nn 10-22-2008 04:44 PM

Enough of this fragile egg this year already. Should have already put him on IR. Make room for a football player.

Maybe next season we can get something outta this kid.

skinsfan69 10-22-2008 04:48 PM

[quote=GMScud;492812]We should have IR'd him from the get go apparently. The thing that really annoys me is that we knew before the draft he had knee issues- it was a red flag with him for sure - yet we drafted him anyway. And surprise surprise, his knee has been drained so many times the Redskins may hire him a full time plumber.[/quote]

LOL! Good one. Why did Vinny and the guys pick this guy if they knew he had bad knees??????? I guess all front offices make bad picks, I'm not giving up on the guy but this looks like it's a lingering thing. Oh well... looks like they found a gem w/ Horton!

CRedskinsRule 10-22-2008 04:59 PM

I guess that is why the FO took 2 shots at a receiver. You never really know until they get in the league, so if even one pans out we win. Right now our top 3 receivers still give us most of what we need and I still expect good things out of Thomas.

johnerotten 10-22-2008 05:01 PM

i'm beginning to think he is a wasted draft pick.has anybody signed mix since we cut him?

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 05:07 PM

Nobody has signed Mix and that should tell you all you need to know about whether we should go after him for anything more than just being another body

DaveyFoSho 10-22-2008 05:11 PM

Lets just pretend we picked up Horty in the 2nd round and Kelly in the 7th!

DIRTEE 10-22-2008 05:22 PM

I'm in favor of Mix, he's a special teams beast and a big red zone body.

GMScud 10-22-2008 05:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;492826][B]Oh well, it's not like we didn't know this was coming.[/B] Get him on IR so he can start rehabing for next year. There are a couple of guys we had in training camp available.[/quote]

That was my point- we did know it was coming- he had knee problems before we drafted him. As the Ole Ball Coach said, hindsight is 50/50, but it appears he wasn't much of a draft pick at this point.

I wouldn't be critical at all if the knee wasn't a prior issue, but it's frustrating since we knew all along there was a good chance of this.

The way Billy McMullen played in the preseason, I sure we kept him on the 53 man and IR'd Kelly from the get go.

johnerotten 10-22-2008 05:58 PM

[QUOTE] The way Billy McMullen played in the preseason, I sure we kept him on the 53 man and IR'd Kelly from the get go [/QUOTE]

he just got cut and released from seattle with an injury settlement.

SFREDSKIN 10-22-2008 06:05 PM

Kelly's nickname should be [B]Crystal [/B] since he's so fragile.

mooby 10-22-2008 07:03 PM

Yeah I think it's time for him to hit IR, just get him healthy so he can rehab it and be ready to play next season.

SouperMeister 10-22-2008 07:14 PM

My big question is that if Kelly's knee keeps filling with fluid, wouldn't it make sense to bite the bullet and scope the knee to see what's causing the irritation? Perhaps he has a small cartilage or meniscus tear that isn't showing up on MRI. If we place him in IR, that would order a scope just to be sure that this won't recur during OTAs and minicamp.

GusFrerotte 10-22-2008 07:22 PM

Probably should consider ditching him for good. Chronic knee problems are chronic knee problems. He probably is going to end up like that FL receiver Spurrier drafted that rarely was healthy after getting hurt in his first preseason. Was dumb to draft all of those WR's when we had plenty of other needs.

SouperMeister 10-22-2008 07:28 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;492886]Probably should consider ditching him for good. Chronic knee problems are chronic knee problems. He probably is going to end up like that FL receiver Spurrier drafted that rarely was healthy after getting hurt in his first preseason. Was dumb to draft all of those WR's when we had plenty of other needs.[/quote]I'm not ready to give up on Kelly or compare him to Taylor Jacobs. Our veteran DBs were very impressed with Kelly the first week of camp before he was injured. He clearly has some ability to play at this level if we can just get him on the field. Just consider this year a washout and hopefully treat his knee so that he's ready to contribute next season.

GusFrerotte 10-22-2008 08:07 PM

Hope you are right. WE need a young WR corp. Thing is knees are tricky and easily can become a chronic problem. Thanks for reminding me of Taylor Jacobs' name.

DynamiteRave 10-22-2008 08:12 PM

Okay.

So we IR Kelly. Who comes in to take his place? Looks like a few people have hopped aboard the Mix train again...

53Fan 10-22-2008 08:28 PM

Kelly has talent so I'm not ready to totally give up on him, but it isn't looking good for him this year. IR him, find out what can be done about his knee and get him ready for next year.

CRedskinsRule 10-22-2008 08:48 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;492886]Probably should consider ditching him for good. Chronic knee problems are chronic knee problems. He probably is going to end up like that FL receiver Spurrier drafted that rarely was healthy after getting hurt in his first preseason. [B]Was dumb to draft all of those WR's when we had plenty of other needs[/B].[/quote]

And I really think just the opposite, despite all the buildup, the FO at some level made a decision to get 3 possible talents in the hopes of finding a gem or two.

GMScud 10-22-2008 08:57 PM

I noticed on Redskins Insider they said Springs most likely won't play. That really sucks. I don't think we'll need him too badly, so maybe it's just a precaution. Hopefully that "tweaked" calf isn't torn....

doughtydoubter 10-22-2008 09:10 PM

Why are we horrible at drafting wrs? Gardner...cliff russel, michelle westbrook, taylor jacobs?? The list goes on...Kenaan mcardell may be the only exception and we cut him. Im begining to think we wasted BOTH those draft picks...maybe 6 out of the ten....
Durant, Tryon (although i think time will tell on him) Crystal Kelly, "showtime" thomas who hant shown anything, fred im gonna run for minus four yards davis, and rob jackson who will probably never see the field...sigh....so much for building through the draft eh boys???

53Fan 10-22-2008 09:15 PM

[quote=GMScud;492912]I noticed on Redskins Insider they said Springs most likely won't play. That really sucks. I don't think we'll need him too badly, so maybe it's just a precaution. Hopefully that "tweaked" calf isn't torn....[/quote]

I might be wrong but I think they're really trying to make sure he's in good shape for our big games down the stretch. There is no better corner in the league at shutting down T.O. and some of the others we have coming up. Him and Carlos both being back there toward the latter part of the season would put us in great shape.

DynamiteRave 10-22-2008 09:17 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;492916]Why are we horrible at drafting wrs? Gardner...cliff russel, michelle westbrook, taylor jacobs?? The list goes on...Kenaan mcardell may be the only exception and we cut him. Im begining to think we wasted BOTH those draft picks...maybe 6 out of the ten....
Durant, Tryon (although i think time will tell on him) Crystal Kelly, "showtime" thomas who hant shown anything, fred im gonna run for minus four yards davis, and rob jackson who will probably never see the field...sigh....so much for building through the draft eh boys???[/quote]

Wow. You're pretty harsh. Remember, these guys JUST got drafted. I'm hoping nobody expected them to come in and have a superstar rookie season. Especially not with 2 solid WRs already. Brooks was what.. a 6th round pick? Not really a waste. Sometimes you find a diamond in the rough that late (Horton) but not usually. Thomas and Davis I think will be good additions in the coming weeks and are definitely good to have in case, God forbid, someone gets injured. The only draft pick that is really bothering me is Kelly and his bum knee.

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 09:17 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;492916]Why are we horrible at drafting wrs? Gardner...cliff russel, michelle westbrook, taylor jacobs?? The list goes on...Kenaan mcardell may be the only exception and we cut him. Im begining to think we wasted BOTH those draft picks...maybe 6 out of the ten....
Durant, Tryon (although i think time will tell on him) Crystal Kelly, "showtime" thomas who hant shown anything, fred im gonna run for minus four yards davis, and rob jackson who will probably never see the field...sigh....so much for building through the draft eh boys???[/quote]

Pressing the panic button a bit too soon aren't we?

doughtydoubter 10-22-2008 09:18 PM

i like fred davis dont get me wrong...but these guys seem to be alot farther behind..the season is almost half done and none of them have even hardy seen the field..and a sixth rounder was wasted on a punter who does that??

CRedskinsRule 10-22-2008 09:23 PM

I feel repetitive now, but when you return 20+ starters, no one is expecting that the rookies are going to suddenly be shining. Horton had the chance only because of the loss of ST, does anyone think Horton would be playing if he was still here.

CRedskinsRule 10-22-2008 09:26 PM

also, I've wondered alot about our WR Coach, I don't know anything about him, but it doesn't seem like we have a track record of growing receivers in house. Does anyone know how he came to the Skins?

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 09:28 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;492923]i like fred davis dont get me wrong...but these guys seem to be alot farther behind..the season is almost half done and none of them have even hardy seen the field..and a sixth rounder was wasted on a punter who does that??[/quote]

Well I didn't agree with their decision to get a punter, and I think there were better choices at DB (a definite need for us) than Tryon. But it's way too soon to say so much for building through the draft. We're only seven games into their rookie season. At this point in their respective rookie careers Jason Campbell and Santana Moss hadn't even gotten playing time yet.

This time next year Thomas, Davis, Horton, Rinehart, Kelly, Tryon could all be major contributors for us. Maybe even Jackson (a 7th round pick) and Moore.

doughtydoubter 10-22-2008 09:30 PM

i really like moore and horton...those guys are solid and props for number 48 tearing it up like a champ out there. Rinehart will blossom im sure...but we'll see. i guess its just set back after set back with those two wrs..and it is eminently frustrating to see desean and eddie royal break out so easily into the nfl.