Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Packers, Rodgers Agree on Contract Extension (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/26364-packers-rodgers-agree-on-contract-extension.html)

SmootSmack 10-31-2008 04:45 PM

Packers, Rodgers Agree on Contract Extension

The Green Bay Packers signed first-year starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers to a contract extension through the 2014 season on Friday.

The deal is in the range of Tony Romo's, who signed a six-year, $67.5 million contract last season with the Dallas Cowboys, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3675543]ESPN - Green Bay Packers sign Aaron Rodgers through 2014[/url]

drew54 10-31-2008 04:47 PM

Re: Packers, Rodgers Agree on Contract Extension

Attn Redskins Front Office. Jason Campbell is on the phone.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 10-31-2008 04:47 PM

JC will likely get a very similar deal.

CRedskinsRule 10-31-2008 06:56 PM

Be nice to get JC locked up before we win the SB :)

53Fan 10-31-2008 06:59 PM

Vinny said on Larry Michael's show yesterday that Jason has 2 more years on his contract. He does'nt seem to think it's a priority right now.

Mattyk 10-31-2008 07:22 PM

Larry Michael is a dunce.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 10-31-2008 07:55 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;495998]Don't believe anything Vinny says. It's his job to lie. He probably went from the broadcast room straight to the negotiating table immediately after the show.[/quote]

I don't think it would necessarily be a mistake to wait until the offseason or even the start of next season to re-sign JC. What's the upside of signing him right now? We lock him up? As Vinny pointed out, he's under contract for two years. What's the downside of signing him right now? Probably around $20M of cap room if he gets seriously hurt between now and 2010.

LMsexyAO 10-31-2008 08:02 PM

JC will get his contract in March I'm sure

53Fan 10-31-2008 10:39 PM

I don't think Jason wants to leave and I don't think Snyder would have any problem paying him what he's worth. The truth is, alot can happen between now and when his contract runs out. Remember how bad it looked last year when he got hurt? I see no problem with waiting a while. Hell, it was'nt even that long ago people were questioning whether he was even qualified to be a starter. I think Jason has a great future ahead of him and I'm glad he's our quarterback, I just don't see any good reason to rush getting him signed when he's already tied to us for 2 more years. Fortunately the F.O. does'nt make decisions at the whim of fans, or J.C. may have already been cut before he had a chance to show what he could do this year. We could sign him to a big contract after 1 great year like Seattle did with Alexander. I can't remember, how'd that work out?:) Hopefully he finishes strong and gets a good contract. What's the rush?

MiraclesHappen07 10-31-2008 10:43 PM

Come on Front O, sign Campbell to a long term contract. He desrves it, Cudos to Jason Campbell for really growing this year!

53Fan 10-31-2008 11:10 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;495996]Larry Michael is a dunce.[/quote]

:laughing2 Yeah, he is. But a lot of players come on his show which is good. His nose is definitely up Danny and Vinnys keester. SOURCE METER! SOURCE METERS ON HIGH ALERT!!! Seriously though, I've been giving this a lot of thought since my last post. If we were smart, we'd take Jason while he's hot and still has some value, and see if we could'nt trade him and Rock Cartwright to the Jets for Marcus Mason and an as-yet-to-be-determined-over-rated-preseason-player-to-be-named-later. Third string running backs who would barely get off the bench and can't play special teams are at a premium in this league. That's what I think......yeah..........dude.

steveo395 11-01-2008 02:34 AM

wait til the offsweason... nop need to worry about it now

Dirtbag59 11-01-2008 02:53 AM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;496000]I don't think it would necessarily be a mistake to wait until the offseason or even the start of next season to re-sign JC. What's the upside of signing him right now? We lock him up? As Vinny pointed out, he's under contract for two years. What's the downside of signing him right now? Probably around $20M of cap room if he gets seriously hurt between now and 2010.[/quote]

[quote=drew54;495985]Attn Redskins Front Office. Jason Campbell is on the phone.[/quote]

[quote=53Fan;495993]Vinny said on Larry Michael's show yesterday that Jason has 2 more years on his contract. He does'nt seem to think it's a priority right now.[/quote]

SCHNEED!!!! Your services are needed.