Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trade WR (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=264)

Portis 03-04-2004 11:43 PM

Trade WR

I say we trade a WR not Coles but Gardner, Jacobs or McCants to Philly for a draft pick. We have a very good depth and we can easily get 2nd round pick for Gardner or even a 1st for Jacobs (being very optimistic here). Philly is in die condition to get a WR and we need picks to shore up our needs. What do u guys think?

Redskins8588 03-04-2004 11:48 PM

I am not in favor of that, or atleast not Gardner or Jacobs. Not many teams have depth in there defensiveback field to cover all three. I agree that we need draft picks though.

sportscurmudgeon 03-04-2004 11:51 PM

Terrell Owens was worth a 2nd round pick earlier today.

Do you really believe that Rod Gardner is worth the same level of compensation?

If you believe that, then you are saying that if you had Owens on your team, you would consider trading Owens for Gardner even-up?

Sorry, that's hard to understand...

Portis 03-05-2004 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon]Terrell Owens was worth a 2nd round pick earlier today.

Do you really believe that Rod Gardner is worth the same level of compensation?

If you believe that, then you are saying that if you had Owens on your team, you would consider trading Owens for Gardner even-up?

Sorry, that's hard to understand...[/QUOTE]

No, U can't compare TO with Gardner that's true. Although TO was traded for 2nd round pick, he is worth way more that that. Maybe two first round picks or something. But the thing is TO didn't had to be traded, he was suppose to go free. SF was gonna let him go anyway. They got 2nd round as a lucky break bc TO's agent didn't file the papers on time.

On the other hand Gardner is worth no more than a 2nd round pick. He hasn't put up big numbers. Jacobs is young and was suppose to go in the first rd last year but ended up coming to us on a lucky break. All I am saying is that we have a good depth at WR, maybe we can use it for ur advantage.

SmootSmack 03-05-2004 12:03 AM

I don't believe we should be in the business of helping out division opponents. So what if the Eagles need Wide Receivers. Let them find some on their own.

Portis 03-05-2004 12:13 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I don't believe we should be in the business of helping out division opponents. So what if the Eagles need Wide Receivers. Let them find some on their own.[/QUOTE]

See if it was Coyboys I would never suggest this, but since its eagles I can say that what ever WR they will get will most likely fail. They have taken WR as high draft pick and even they have failed. There has to be somthing wrong with WR coach or the system somewhere bc when u have a QB like McNab, with his talents and arm the system should produce a 1000 yards WR. No matter who the WR is.

Gmanc711 03-05-2004 12:19 AM

If they want one of our wideouts, they can have Rusell or P.Johnson. I really dont wanna see McCants there, cause I lvoe that guy and wouldnt wanna cheer vs him

CrazyCanuck 03-05-2004 12:36 AM

I really hope they keep them all, especially McCants. The guy was solid last year, he's young, he loves coach Gibbs, and he wants to be here.

Let Gardner, McCants, Jacobs all battle it out in camp. They are a great young core that are cheap and can be kept (along with Coles) for a long time. Let's see who steps up before we unload any of them.

If our O line is as great as everyone says (yes I'm talking to you Samuels), our offense is looking scary.

That being said, we are short on picks, and WR is the only position we have the depth to trade from, so I'll understand if they do decide to trade one of them.

CrazyCanuck 03-05-2004 12:43 AM

And I think trading one of them to one of our division rivals is a MUST NOT.

I don't care what they offer.

SittingBull 03-05-2004 01:09 AM

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck]And I think trading one of them to one of our division rivals is a MUST NOT.

I don't care what they offer.[/QUOTE]

What about TO for Gardner and Jacobs? Mccants can only get better and contributed alot last season for bottom dollar. You cant blame me for dreaming :p

Defensewins 03-05-2004 11:41 AM

We can't afford TO. Gardner and Jacobs are cheap.
Although I think drafting Jacobs last year was a huge mistake when we could of had Saftey Mike Doss. Doss started all year at SS for the Colts, had 101 tackles and helped the Colts to one game from the Superbowl.
Mattt Bowen (our SS) had only 74 tackles.
It is amazing that a rookie outplayed a 4-5 year veteran.

MTK 03-05-2004 12:12 PM

A 2nd rounder for Gardner when Owens was just had for a 2nd?? I don't think so.

Jacobs for a first? Ummm, right. Don't think so.

We'd be extremely lucky to get a low 2nd for Gardner, more likely a 3rd though. As for Jacobs, maybe a 4th or a 5th? Who is going to give up anything higher than that for a 2nd year WR who did absolutely nothing in his rookie year??

Portis 03-05-2004 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]A 2nd rounder for Gardner when Owens was just had for a 2nd?? I don't think so.

Jacobs for a first? Ummm, right. Don't think so.

We'd be extremely lucky to get a low 2nd for Gardner, more likely a 3rd though. As for Jacobs, maybe a 4th or a 5th? Who is going to give up anything higher than that for a 2nd year WR who did absolutely nothing in his rookie year??[/QUOTE]

Yea u prob right. I was being very generous there.

skinsfanthru&thru 03-05-2004 12:57 PM

u never know though when teams get desperate or a gm or coach see's a guy he really likes. look at what ditka did to get ricky williams. no one can really compare the TO trade to a possible trade of Gardner for a 2nd round pick. the 49ers wanted to be rid of TO and even set a 72 hour deadline to get it done. They weren't expecting him to still be on their roster so they traded him and got what they could for him. Gardner is still very young and talented (plus his current contract is low priced.) You don't think teams needing a cheap, solid #2 wide reciever haven't inquired about Gardner for a possible 2nd or 3rd and 4th round picks? As much as I'd like to keep him since he complements Coles pretty well, the team needs come first and if we can trade him for picks then we need to do it because I think mccants can slide into the #2 WR role pretty well.

celts32 03-05-2004 01:07 PM

Jacobs & Mccants have virtually no trade value and Coles & Gardner are starters so trading one of them just turns a strength into yet another question mark. Bad idea...

Defensewins 03-05-2004 01:09 PM

Gardner is a proven talent and has more value on our roster next year than any defensive player we can draft in the third or fourth round. We would have to get really lucky to draft a player in the 3rd or 4th round that has the talent of Gardner. Plus Cerrato/Snyder's draft record in the late rounds has been terrible. We could give up Gardner for nothing if we draft a player that sucks.
I think Gardner will fill the Art MonK role in Gibss offense next year. Gardner's talent did not lend itself to Spurriers terrible college offensive system. Gardner will shine next year.

raleighskinsfan 03-05-2004 01:46 PM

Remember the Smurfs and the Skins of 91!

I say we keep all the wide receivers, and start Coles, Gardner and McCants. We can all remember the smurfs and the rings they brought us. And we can also remember the 1991 team who set a then NFL record for scoring. Those teams always had 3 quality receivers. We have that now. Lets keep them. We'll be able to trade down out of the #5 spot and pick up extra picks. Lets all remember, too, that draft picks are a gamble. The press likes to make a big deal out of our lack of draft picks, but in every case, I like what we've given up in draft picks for proven players. The press is just trying to find ANYTHING bad to say about what Washington is doing b/c, for whatever reason, they all dislike Dan Snyder so much. Also, Gardner had a really good year last year. I think he'll be even better this year....