Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Offense: What's the Problem? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=26632)

SouperMeister 11-17-2008 09:27 AM

Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

[quote=FRPLG;501710]Our line is awful. Just is. We cannot pass protect at all. It is hard to throw the ball downfield if JC is getting pressured constantly. If we can't throw downfield they can stack the line which kills our running game. Rinse repeat. [B]It is time our FO started understanding the value of building through our lines[/B]. We continue to roll the dice each year with our lines and it is biting us in the ass pretty good right now. Too old too slow and not nearly good enough.[/quote]I've been saying this for years - [I]consistently great teams are built from the inside-out[/I], concentrating on superiority in the trenches. New England spent 1st round picks on Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, and Logan Mankins. Todd Light was a 2nd rounder. The Gibbs 1.0 teams included great drafting [I]and development[/I] of linemen. Snyder/Cerrato need to get back to that mentality.

irish 11-17-2008 09:35 AM

I think its a lot of things. Teams have figured that Campbell cant beat them deep so they can sell out to stop the run or really rush the passer and force Campbell to beat them and he just cant do that.

Twilbert07 11-17-2008 09:39 AM

Our offense, without Portis at 100 percent, and without a No. 2 receiver, is impotent. Opposing teams now know what to do: Pressure Campbell, period. JC is a good QB, but is not yet at the point where he can beat hard-hitting defenses without a solid running game.

skinsfan69 11-17-2008 09:40 AM

1. Same as last year, we can't throw the ball
2. The line iisn't very good at pass pro
3. The wr's are ok but they can't take over a game.
4. The scheme sucks....too many 5 yard passes.

Can someone explain on 4th and 4, when the game is on the line, we're throwing a 2 yard pass???? WTF Zorn????

irish 11-17-2008 09:44 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;501724]1. Same as last year, we can't throw the ball
2. The line iisn't very good at pass pro
3. The wr's are ok but they can't take over a game.
4. The scheme sucks....too many 5 yard passes.

Can someone explain on 4th and 4, when the game is on the line, we're throwing a 2 yard pass???? WTF Zorn????[/quote]

They have to throw those short passes (I call them long handoffs) because if Moss isnt open for anything longer then JC cant find another open receiver. They were hoping for a 2yd pass and a 3 yd RAC instead of a sack or incomplete. I still think JC locks onto the primary receiver and if he's not open then JC gets stuck and the result is a sack or throw away.

skinsfan69 11-17-2008 09:49 AM

[quote=irish;501726]They have to throw those short passes (I call them long handoffs) because if Moss isnt open for anything longer then JC cant find another open receiver. They were hoping for a 2yd pass and a 3 yd RAC instead of a sack or incomplete. I still think JC locks onto the primary receiver and if he's not open then JC gets stuck and the result is a sack or throw away.[/quote]

I just think it's a bunch of bullshit. Why is Moss running a 2 yard pattern on 4th and 4? I'm not sure if JC is not getting off of his 1st guy. But I'm just sooooooooo damn tired of all these short passes.

irish 11-17-2008 09:52 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;501730]I just think it's a bunch of bullshit. Why is Moss running a 2 yard pattern on 4th and 4? I'm not sure if JC is not getting off of his 1st guy. But I'm just sooooooooo damn tired of all these short passes.[/quote]

Like I said, they are hoping for something to happen after the catch. Any longer pass takes too long to develop and if the receiver isnt open than JC doesnt know what to do and seems to get sacked. Better to get 2 yds with the potentail for 2 or 3 more than a sack or incomplete and no chance of getting the yds.

They have to do all these short passes because JC cant look off receivers and throw deep.

SouperMeister 11-17-2008 09:55 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;501730]I just think it's a bunch of bullshit. Why is Moss running a 2 yard pattern on 4th and 4? I'm not sure if JC is not getting off of his 1st guy. But I'm just sooooooooo damn tired of all these short passes.[/quote]Yep, this garbage reminds me of Martyball in 2001, where we mastered the 5 yard completion on 3rd and 6.

BDBohnzie 11-17-2008 10:08 AM

From my observations, when Campbell has time, he's hitting his wideouts no problem. However, the last few weeks, it seems the Skins O-Line has been struggling to keep their heads above water. No coincidence that the Skins offense has struggled to score.

Until the line starts consistently giving Campbell time to run the offense, the struggles will continue.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-17-2008 10:15 AM

[quote=irish;501731]They have to do all these short passes because JC cant look off receivers and throw deep.[/quote]

Dude, Jason's deep ball is one of the things I love about him. His short to intermediate throws are okay, but his accuracy on the deep ball is fantastic.

Schneed10 11-17-2008 10:15 AM

We're not pass protecting very well, that's the biggest problem. We have no time to wait for big plays to develop, so we throw nothing but dinks and dunks which of course defenses can adjust to. They press us and we go nowhere.

Teams have had enough film on Zorn now to study and exploit his tendencies. He needs to show he can adjust schematically, and the players need to show they can man up and handle their matchups.

irish 11-17-2008 10:18 AM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;501747]Dude, Jason's deep ball is one of the things I love about him. His short to intermediate throws are okay, but his accuracy on the deep ball is fantastic.[/quote]

When's the last time he's hit a deep ball? If Moss isnt open than there is no deep ball. You are correct about his short and intermediate balls, they are ok at best.

Jake2008 11-17-2008 10:22 AM

[quote=SouperMeister;501630]With 3 second round draft picks, we could have, and probably should have used one to address the O-line. This team has serious issues on both lines. The offensive line can't protect the QB for anything greater than a 3 step drop, and the D-line can't pressure the opposing QB without blitzing. Consider this - the Redskins haven't drafted an O or D lineman before the 3rd round since Chris Samuels in 2000. You reap what you sow...[/quote]

I hated that we drafted 3 recievers with our first 3 picks instead of addressing both lines where we had a bigger need in a more important position. But the FO fell in love with these guys who they had valued as first round picks even thou the other 31 teams had passed on them for reasons that we are now finding had merit.

Hopefully this year they will address the lines. But I predict we will draft towards the middle where there won't be a no brainer choice and end up with another offensive weapon that the FO just can't pass on.

MTK 11-17-2008 10:27 AM

After sleeping on it I think it's pretty clear today that the line is the main issue. As the saying goes it all starts up front, and JC was getting killed last night and there just weren't many running lanes for the ground game. Not sure what Buges can do about it at this point.

skinsfan69 11-17-2008 10:28 AM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;501747]Dude, Jason's deep ball is one of the things I love about him. His short to intermediate throws are okay, but his accuracy on the deep ball is fantastic.[/quote]

I guess this is why I'm so freakin sick of this offense. JC needs to be in shotgun a little more ( maybe on 1st down) and let's start trying to get the ball down field a little more. We've got a deep ball thrower yet all we do is throw 5 yard passes.