Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   D.C. Examiner: Zorn's job in jeopardy? (not so fast he's coming back) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=27119)

SFREDSKIN 12-14-2008 05:38 PM

re: D.C. Examiner: Zorn's job in jeopardy? (not so fast he's coming back)

[quote=Dirtbag359;511655]Well in that case we better get Cowher, the list of other potential candidates isn't exactly promising.

[URL="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/12/02/coaches/index.html"]Names to know as next NFL coaches - Don Banks - SI.com[/URL]

I mean lets see.

Russ Grimm - Makes a lot of sense. He wouldn't be scared to stand up to Snyder, he'd focus on the draft, he'd not only build the lines but help make the current group better, he's loved in the area. On top of that he might even be inclined to implement a 3-4 defense especially considering the fact that he worked under Cowher. Personally Grimm might be the next best thing. Of course my only concern is he wouldn't be as likely to destroy the front office structure as Cowher would.

Steve Spagnola - Smart man, had the foresight to recognize the teams current structure as a career killer.

Jim Swartz - If not Cowher or Grimm then this guy should be the man, assuming he interviewed as well as he did. Also assuming he doesn't end up like Gregg Williams when he became head coach.

Josh McDaniels - Overrated

Jason Garret - Do I even need to explain.

Pete Carroll - Ra ra college coach. No thanks

Marty - That bridge was burned, nuked and then thrown into a black hole.

Rex Ryan - Like the defense but not to crazy about taking another Ravens DC and making him a head coach.

Mike Muklarkey - No thanks, especially considering his distaste for Tight Ends.

Kirk Ferentz - College coach, no thanks

Jim Harbaugh - Interesting but I'd lean towards no.

Mike Leach - Spurrier 2.0

Jim Fassel - Well that bridge is only partially burned.

However in my mind Cowher at this point makes to much sense.
- He'll blow up the front office structure that is obcessed with finding recievers.

- He'll rebuild the lines and on top of that he'll use the draft.

- He'll impliment a 3-4 defense that should instantlly bolster our pash rushing woes.

- He'll build a team suited for playing in the NFC East.

- He might even be able to salvage the career of Jason Campbell but if not he won't be scared to bench him.

Cowher 2009. FTW. And yes count me as an official bandwagon jumper.[/quote]

You left out the best of the crop, Cam cameron. Before I get criticized look at Baltimore with a rookie QB>

Dirtbag59 12-14-2008 05:41 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;511742]You left out the best of the crop, Cam cameron. Before I get criticized look at Baltimore with a rookie QB>[/quote]

I'll argue that he is more suited to be a coordinator rather then a head coach. Especially considering the fact that he went 1-15 as a head coach I would rather have Zorn.

MTK 12-14-2008 05:43 PM

Cameron = Norv Turner.

Good coordinator, shitty HC.

skinsfan69 12-14-2008 05:47 PM

I think after today Zorn is in serious trouble. The playcalling was some of the worst I've ever seen.

SFREDSKIN 12-14-2008 05:47 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;511749]Cameron = Norv Turner.

Good coordinator, shitty HC.[/quote]

One season doesn't warrant this type of judgement. If he did it for 2 seasons then maybe. He wasn't given a fair chance, one season doesn't warrant a firing unless you are Bobby Petrino. Then maybe we should fire Zorn? Wrong!!!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-14-2008 05:53 PM

If Zorn's job isn't in jeopardy, it should be. Zorn was brought in to turn Campbell into a star and make our offense productive again. It looks like he is failing in both departments. This team looks very, very sloppy and mistake-prone, the hallmark of poor coaching.

MTK 12-14-2008 05:55 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;511756]One season doesn't warrant this type of judgement. If he did it for 2 seasons then maybe. He wasn't given a fair chance, one season doesn't warrant a firing unless you are Bobby Petrino. Then maybe we should fire Zorn? Wrong!!![/quote]

1-15 will get a coach fired almost every time.

SFREDSKIN 12-14-2008 05:59 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;511760]1-15 will get a coach fired almost every time.[/quote]

Jimmie Johnson didn't and look what he did. My gut feeling tells me Cam can be a HC, he has a personality like Gibbs and a high scoring offensive philosophy.

MTK 12-14-2008 06:03 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;511763]Jimmie Johnson didn't and look what he did. My gut feeling tells me Cam can be a HC, he has a personality like Gibbs and a high scoring offensive philosophy.[/quote]

JJ was the exception.

I have some inside info from the Dolphins org. and the word was Cameron never won the respect of that locker room and it was a big reason for the 1-15 mark. He was in way over his head as a leader. The comparison to Turner has been made by plenty of league insiders in the know.

skinsfan69 12-14-2008 06:05 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;511759]If Zorn's job isn't in jeopardy, it should be. Zorn was brought in to turn Campbell into a star and make our offense productive again. It looks like he is failing in both departments. This team looks very, very sloppy and mistake-prone, the hallmark of poor coaching.[/quote]

Zorn has made plenty of mistakes but you just can't fire the guy after one year. Look how poor Gibbs was in 04?

MTK 12-14-2008 06:09 PM

If Snyder/Cerrato feel that Zorn is in over his head and won't be able to turn this around then yes, his job could be in jeopardy. Not saying this is what I would want personally, I just wouldn't rule it out.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 12-14-2008 06:12 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;511769]Zorn has made plenty of mistakes but you just can't fire the guy after one year. Look how poor Gibbs was in 04?[/quote]

I would stand by a decision to keep Zorn, but I'm skeptical of his abilities. The offense looks as bad, if not worse, than Spurrier's offenses and Spurrier was working with less talent. Jason Campbell has regressed. The team is making boatloads of dumb mistakes. The locker room is apparently starting to come apart. Players are openly questioning Zorn in the media. A win or two would go a long way to helping cure some of our problems, but right now it doesn't look like we can beat anyone.

Slingin Sammy 33 12-14-2008 06:16 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;511759]If Zorn's job isn't in jeopardy, it should be. Zorn was brought in to turn Campbell into a star and make our offense productive again. It looks like he is failing in both departments. This team looks very, very sloppy and mistake-prone, the hallmark of poor coaching.[/quote]
Weren't the same things being said during Gibbs' tenure after a frustrating loss with a bunch of mistakes/penalties? How can the HC be responsible for fumbles, mis-communication on defense, A [B]dumb-ass[/B] show-boating penalty....WHEN WE'VE BEEN GETTING OUR ASSES HANDED TO US!!! Constant Special Teams penalties. Does the team need more discipline, absolutely, but it's not entirely Zorn's fault.

Let's not forget that much of the coaching staff was in place for "stability" when Zorn was given the HC job. The position coaches need to shoulder a lot of the blame and I think many will be gone. Firing Zorn now when he hasn't been given a chance to truly put his stamp on the team, even if we finish 7-9 is a terrible mistake. Any promising coordinators will not want to come here because if they hit a rough stretch they know they'll be canned. It also sends a bad message to the players, that this will be a franchise in constant turmoil.

What needs to happen is the FO needs to stay with Zorn through next year. Let him bring in assistants he wants to coach the OL, WRs, Specials and if Blache wants to reture, bring in a new DC or promote Olivadotti. Zorn needs to delegate the QB coaching to Meidt and concentrate on being a HC/OC, not a QB coach. Snyder needs to "close his door" to players and not give them an opportunity to undermine the coach and GM (Cerrato)

Here's where we find out if Snyder really learned anything from Gibbs in terms of leading the franchise.

SFREDSKIN 12-14-2008 06:20 PM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;511777]Weren't the same things being said during Gibbs' tenure after a frustrating loss with a bunch of mistakes/penalties? How can the HC be responsible for fumbles, mis-communication on defense, A [B]dumb-ass[/B] show-boating penalty....WHEN WE'VE BEEN GETTING OUR ASSES HANDED TO US!!! Constant Special Teams penalties. Does the team need more discipline, absolutely, but it's not entirely Zorn's fault.

Let's not forget that much of the coaching staff was in place for "stability" when Zorn was given the HC job. The position coaches need to shoulder a lot of the blame and I think many will be gone. Firing Zorn now when he hasn't been given a chance to truly put his stamp on the team, even if we finish 7-9 is a terrible mistake. Any promising coordinators will not want to come here because if they hit a rough stretch they know they'll be canned. It also sends a bad message to the players, that this will be a franchise in constant turmoil.

What needs to happen is the FO needs to stay with Zorn through next year. Let him bring in assistants he wants to coach the OL, WRs, Specials and if Blache wants to reture, bring in a new DC or promote Olivadotti. Zorn needs to delegate the QB coaching to Meidt and concentrate on being a HC/OC, not a QB coach. Snyder needs to "close his door" to players and not give them an opportunity to undermine the coach and GM (Cerrato)

Here's where we find out if Snyder really learned anything from Gibbs in terms of leading the franchise.[/quote]

Amen brother!! Well said.

SouperMeister 12-14-2008 06:21 PM

As pissed as I am at Zorn and his absolute inability to ever question his own decisions, getting rid of him would be a disaster for Jason Campbell. Starting over with yet another new offense is not the answer. Address our needs on both lines and you'll see significant improvement for both the O and the D.