Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Yankees Sign Texiera (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=27475)

Skins4L 01-15-2009 02:11 AM

Re: Yankees Sign Texiera

[quote=JLee9718;519002]The Yankees are spending a lot of money, but at the end of the season they'll be in second place. How come everybody makes fun of Snyder when he spends money, but George can do it and he's looked upon like a genius?[/quote]

i think you may be putting words in someones mouth.. ive never heard anybody refer to George as a "Genius"...but ok. And theres one thing youve forgotten... George has a couple championships to go with some thrifty spending... Snyder... not so lucky.

over the mountain 01-17-2009 12:06 PM

[quote=Gmanc711;515441]I root for the Yankees being in NY (not a "Fan" like I am of the Skins), the Cardinals are actually my favorite baseball team, but I pull pretty hard for the Yankees....

but even I'll admit this is getting ridiculous. You'll never see it, but there really needs to be a salary cap in baseball. I really hope football doesn't end up going this way (even though we'd be one of the teams that would probably benefit from no salary cap).[/quote]

yup baseball needs a salary cap BAD. im an Os fan and what really pisses me off is that the NYC kids already have arod, jeter, rivera and others to look up to, they dont need Tex. while Os kids have nick "lets get drunk n screw" markakis. that scumbag asked my girl to go home with him, she didnt but one of her friends came home and found nick banging his girl. the last thing bmore guys needs is money bags markakis trying to steal our girls.

the yanks and what they are doing to baseball might just kill the sport for any young fan not in NYC or boston.

go skins!

GTripp0012 01-17-2009 07:08 PM

[quote=over the mountain;521146]yup baseball needs a salary cap BAD. im an Os fan and what really pisses me off is that the NYC kids already have arod, jeter, rivera and others to look up to, they dont need Tex. while Os kids have nick "lets get drunk n screw" markakis. that scumbag asked my girl to go home with him, she didnt but one of her friends came home and found nick banging his girl. the last thing bmore guys needs is money bags markakis trying to steal our girls.

the yanks and what they are doing to baseball might just kill the sport for any young fan not in NYC or boston.

go skins![/quote]A salary cap would really help Baltimore, Tampa, and Toronto, but no one else really. The division system accounts for all the rest of the parity.

The MLB needs to understand that the Red Sox and Yankees are going to be 85-95 win teams every year and allow the Blue Jays, Orioles, and Rays to play for the right to move out of that division temporarily. Having a single wild card doesn't really matter if you need to win 95 games to get it.

I'd be cool with a system that moves the third place team in the AL East to the Central in the next year, while the last place team in the Central has to move to the East, or something. The West only has four teams, they should get involved in this somehow.

SmootSmack 01-19-2009 08:16 AM

I'm a baseball fan, but it's such a lonnnnng season. And it's going to suck for Yankees fans if they go through an entire season and they don't win the World Series. Because really anything less and the season is a disappointment, and then that's like a whole year out of your life for nothing. What a waste.

Duffman003 01-20-2009 05:40 PM

[quote=over the mountain;521146]yup baseball needs a salary cap BAD. im an Os fan and what really pisses me off is that the NYC kids already have arod, jeter, rivera and others to look up to, they dont need Tex. while Os kids have nick "lets get drunk n screw" markakis. that scumbag asked my girl to go home with him, she didnt but one of her friends came home and found nick banging his girl. the last thing bmore guys needs is money bags markakis trying to steal our girls.[/quote]

That sucks for your friend, but she cheated on him. If I was Markakis, I would probably go around hooking up with hot chicks too.

MTK 01-20-2009 05:48 PM

Slightly off topic here but this has been bugging me lately. Where did the term "hot stove" come from? I was a pretty big baseball fan back in the day and I never remember hearing it back then. Is it something new?

GMScud 01-20-2009 06:41 PM

[quote=over the mountain;521146]yup baseball needs a salary cap BAD. im an Os fan and what really pisses me off is that the NYC kids already have arod, jeter, rivera and others to look up to, they dont need Tex. while [B]Os kids have nick "lets get drunk n screw" markakis. that scumbag asked my girl to go home with him, she didnt but one of her friends came home and found nick banging his girl.[/B] the last thing bmore guys needs is money bags markakis trying to steal our girls.

go skins![/quote]

LOL! I'm sorry your girl's friend was cheated on, but I can't help laughing at your nickname for him. Too funny. And with his new $66M contract, he'll be around Baltimore for 6 more years taking chicks home from the bar.

BDBohnzie 01-21-2009 09:34 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;521752]Slightly off topic here but this has been bugging me lately. Where did the term "hot stove" come from? I was a pretty big baseball fan back in the day and I never remember hearing it back then. Is it something new?[/quote]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_stove]Hot stove league - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
[quote]The Hot Stove League is a baseball-related term, referring to the off-season. Therefore, it is not actually a "league", but the term instead calls up images of baseball fans, anxious for the start of the new season, gathering around a hot stove during the cold winter months discussing their favorite baseball teams.[/quote]

I didn't know what it meant either, so I looked it up. I had heard the term many times before, but never bothered to learn.

MTK 01-21-2009 10:42 AM

Yeah I've looked it up before too, I guess it's an old term I just don't recall ever hearing it until the past few years.

JLee9718 01-22-2009 05:35 PM

When are the Nats going to spend some money? Nevertheless, I think they're going about it the right way. i stand behind them now more than ever...they tried to get Texiera, but he chose the Yankees.

Skins4L 02-01-2009 04:55 PM

when is anybody gonna spend some money besides the NYY?

the MLB FA market is just like everything else in this country right now.
Pettite originally turned down a 10 Mil 1 year deal, now he has to settle for a 1 year 5 mil because he misplayed the market like most of the good talent available.
any other year these guys would have been signed already...
Manny Ramirez
Bobby Abreu
Orlando Hudson (a great fit for your Nats JLEE)
Orlando Cabrera
Ben Sheets (even w/injury risk)
Juan Cruz

its crazy.

BDBohnzie 02-02-2009 11:56 AM

I think it's a case of teams not wanting to spend top dollar for guys, and the longer these guys wait, the less money there will be for them. The Yankees are the exception in this economy, but I really don't see any decent money being thrown at anyone else left except Manny.