Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Favorite Movie of 2008 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=27638)

DynamiteRave 01-01-2009 08:44 PM

Favorite Movie of 2008

In lieu of SS's Fav songs of 2008 thread, I figured I'd start one dedicated to movies. I think it was a pretty good year overall.

My top 3 I can think of right now is (in random order):

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Twilight
The Dark Knight

FRPLG 01-01-2009 10:26 PM

Re: Favorite Movie of 2008

DK... nothing else even close.

CRedskinsRule 01-01-2009 10:28 PM

I really enjoyed Get Smart.

htownskinfan 01-01-2009 11:07 PM

I watch a ton of movies but i cant think of what my favorite is,one I enjoyed the most recently was Eagle Eye,I liked it better than Dark Knight

djnemo65 01-02-2009 12:34 AM

Gran Torino, Happy Go Lucky, Chop Shop, and DK are a few that come to mind.

757SkinsGirl 01-02-2009 09:02 AM

Yea yea. I'm goin' all girly and saying Sex and the City. *shrug* :D

dmek25 01-02-2009 01:08 PM

dknemo how was gran torino? its on my list to see

KLHJ2 01-02-2009 01:30 PM

Iron Man, I loved the way that Robert Downy Jr. played Tony Stark. Tony Stark is a character that I could associate with if I were rich, playboy, superhero with a power core buried in my chest. Seriously though, I loved the characters attitude, demeanor, and mannerisms.

While Dark Night was great, I feel that too many people give it too much credit because of Ledger's performance and the fact that he died shortly afterward. I am not trying to take anything away from the Dark Night or Heath Ledger it was number 2 on my list.

Ultimately, while neither film comes remotely close to reality, I had an easier time believing the story line behind Iron Man than the one in the Dark Night. On one hand you have a weapons Engineer that creates a kick ass robotic suit versus a billionaire that dresses up like a bat and hunts down a criminal that performs crimes right out in the open and doesn’t get caught.

Just my opinion.

D'BOYZ 01-02-2009 01:43 PM

1 Dark Knight hands down. iwon'0t get into why is thebest but it has so much depth and value behing the main story (and no I'm not talking about heath).

2.- Iron Man great movie

3.- Burn after Reading funny dark comedy

4.- Body of lies

RedskinRat 01-02-2009 08:11 PM

Foot Fist Way, nails the Strip Mall-Fu perfectly.

saden1 01-02-2009 09:07 PM

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. The Wrestler
3. Religulous

TheSmurfs22 01-02-2009 10:28 PM

I have to say the surprise movie of the year for me was Step Brothers.

htownskinfan 01-02-2009 11:52 PM

[quote=TheSmurfs22;517382]I have to say the surprise movie of the year for me was Step Brothers.[/quote]

yeah,it was pretty funny,Iron Man was good too,Ive never thought Paltrow was that good looking but she looked good in that movie.Burn after reading would have been better if they made it funnier instead of so ironic

djnemo65 01-02-2009 11:57 PM

[quote=dmek25;517282]dknemo how was gran torino? its on my list to see[/quote]

Oh man, that's a great movie. I can't recommend it more highly.

The Goat 01-03-2009 12:04 AM

Stand out blockbuster: Dark Knight. A movie full of great actors - Morgan Freeman, Gary Oleman (sp), Batman's butler dude Alfred - and Ledger just put all of them under his shadow. It was actually pretty mesmerizing and that's coming from a guy who couldn't ever remember Heath Ledger's name/face prior to this movie.

Sleeper of the year: Ghost Town. Saw it cause i'm a Ricky Gervais fan (oh yeah and I worship Karl Pilkington) and walked away thinking it was one of the best movie's of the year. Tia Leoni (sp) is excellent as is Greg Kinear.

htownskinfan 01-03-2009 12:06 AM

just watched surfer,dude with mathew mc,it sucked big time,no wonder I had never heard of it
I've rented 234 movies in 08,here are my favorites
Eagle Eye
Traitor
Tropic Thunder
Get Smart
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Mr. Brooks
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox St
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Happening

You Don't Mess With the Zohan

Deception

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Iron Man

Run, Fat Boy, Run

Superbad
What Happens in Vegas
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Harold and Kumar Escape from G
Charlie Bartlett
Fool's Gold
27 Dresses
Charlie Wilson's War
Reservation Road

Im leaving a few out,cant remember all of them

DynamiteRave 01-03-2009 02:21 AM

[quote=htownskinfan;517397]just watched surfer,dude with mathew mc,it sucked big time,no wonder I had never heard of it
I've rented 234 movies in 08,here are my favorites
Eagle Eye
Traitor
Tropic Thunder
Get Smart
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Mr. Brooks
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox St
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
[B]The Happening[/B]

You Don't Mess With the Zohan

Deception

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Iron Man

Run, Fat Boy, Run

Superbad
What Happens in Vegas
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Harold and Kumar Escape from G
Charlie Bartlett
Fool's Gold
27 Dresses
Charlie Wilson's War
Reservation Road

Im leaving a few out,cant remember all of them[/quote]

God that was such a bad movie. lol at least I thought so. I wanted M. Night to pull out all the stops show some exploding corpses or some shit (I like being grossed out) but instead it was like oooooo, environment.

Sigh.

I wanted my money back. I'll never forget how people booed that movie in the theater at the very end.

12thMan 01-03-2009 02:26 PM

Slum Dog Millionaire
Dark Knight
Doubt
Iron Man
Charlie Wilson's War
Kite Runner

djnemo65 01-03-2009 05:30 PM

[quote=12thMan;517479]Slum Dog Millionaire
Dark Knight
Doubt
Iron Man
Charlie Wilson's War
Kite Runner[/quote]

I heard Slumdog is amazing. I can't wait to see it, love that director.

cpayne5 01-03-2009 07:58 PM

I watched National Treasure 2 the other night on my Blu-Ray and noticed that a Redskins great made a token appearance as himself. Frank Herzog. He was in the scene when Ben Gates meets with the President at Mount Vernon (before they go into the tunnel). Right when Gates starts talking to the President, a man walks up and says hello to the President. The President says "Thanks, Frank, always good to see you.", or something to that effect. It was Frank Herzog. I went back to confirm my initial reaction of "hey, that was Frank Herzog!!!". IMDB has him listed, too.

Just thought it was kind of cool.

saden1 01-03-2009 08:22 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;517401]God that was such a bad movie. lol at least I thought so. I wanted M. Night to pull out all the stops show some exploding corpses or some shit (I like being grossed out) but instead it was like oooooo, environment.

Sigh.

I wanted my money back. I'll never forget how people booed that movie in the theater at the very end.[/quote]

Come on, Marky Mark's performance was Oscar worthy :rolleyes:

You did say Favorite Movie not the Best Movie. Of course some of us take Favorite Movie to mean Best Movie but clearly others don't as evident by the inclusion of Indiana Jones and National Treasure.

Anywho, Grand Torino is definitely a must see. Some of the scenes in the movie will go down as some of the most memorable scenes in history. Also, The Visitor was a great movie watching.

Grand Torino Dialog:
[quote]
Barber: Walt you cheap bastard, I should have know you would come in, I was having such a pleasant day.

Walt: What did you do? Jew some poor blind guy out of his money, gave him the wrong change?

Barber: Who's the nip?

Walt: Oh, he's a pussy kid from next door, I'm just trying to man him up a little[/quote]

djnemo65 01-04-2009 10:12 AM

Add The Wrestler to this list. Phenomenal.

724Skinsfan 01-04-2009 02:40 PM

I'll go with Rambo on this one. Only movie I've ever been paid to go see. Due to inclement weather our boss told us to go home, instead we went to the movies. Good times. Iron Man was a cool movie at the theatre as well.

I saw Hancock, Wanted, Prince Caspian and Dark Knight just this past month. Prince Caspian was probably the best out of all them. Dark Knight was pretty good but I found myself looking at the clock a couple of times. To me that's never a good sign no matter how much I want to like a move. Wanted was kind of decent in a Fight Club/Snatch type of way, still the premise of the movie sort of sucked. Hancock was pretty good, but not great.

I was a little disappointed in the movie Mongol. It just didn't seem to flow very well.

itvnetop 01-05-2009 06:11 AM

[quote=RedskinRat;517363]Foot Fist Way, nails the Strip Mall-Fu perfectly.[/quote]

I just caught this on a plane... laughed my ass off when everyone else was sleeping.

Faves:

- TDK
- Let the Right One In (Swedish Vamp flick)
- Benjamin Button
- Red Cliff pt. 1 (John Woo's newest flick about the Three Kingdoms in ancient China)
- Tropa de Elite (actually released late 07, but kinda hit the states late... Brazilian flick about hardcore swat unit in the favelas).
- Son of Rambow
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall
- The Visitor
- The Counterfeiters
- Felon

Still waiting to see The Wrestler, Slumdog, JCVD (yes, Jean-Claude Van Damme's new one is supposed to be really good), Frost/Nixon and The Wackness.

724Skinsfan 01-05-2009 08:55 AM

[quote=itvnetop;517852]- Red Cliff pt. 1 (John Woo's newest flick about the Three Kingdoms in ancient China)
[/quote]

OMG... I need a towel. It will be watched, oh yes, it will be.