Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This is what happened to Vick's dogs ... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=27649)

757SkinsGirl 01-05-2009 10:09 AM

Re: This is what happened to Vick's dogs ...

I walk him at least an hour a day. I'm kind of nervous about letting him off the leash. Dunno if he'll come back! He's stubborn!

...and yours are adorable! My best friend has a Little Redskins Cheerleader, herself!

[IMG]http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/21/l_4f53a1501fc44db28d69f2d45492ea62.jpg[/IMG]

cpayne5 01-05-2009 10:18 AM

[quote=757SkinsGirl;517874]I walk him at least an hour a day. I'm kind of nervous about letting him off the leash. Dunno if he'll come back! He's stubborn!

...and yours are adorable! My best friend has a Little Redskins Cheerleader, herself!
[/quote]

Yeah, you would definitely need a fenced yard or a loooooong leash.

Cool looking little guy, there!

EternalEnigma21 01-05-2009 11:14 AM

Many bully breeds have a stronger desire to be alpha than most breeds. They are bred to be confident and courageous. With my dog, when he got possessive with a toy at my daughter once, I rolled him onto his back and had her stand over him and tell him "NO" sternly. Also she feeds him and makes him sit for his food. A great exercize in pecking order is to live by the "sing for your supper" credo. Make the dog earn everything with tricks. Walks, food, attention (most of the time) toys, etc... Even if its just a sit, make him earn it.

The most important thing to remember is that these dog NEEDS exercise, discipline, and love in that order. That was hard for my wife to understand at first, and the dog would walk all over her. You need to get him involved in a training class as well. If he gets off the leash and won't come/recall due to stubborness, you may lose your dog. Worth the $100 bucks and 1 day a week to get a structure going. The cool thing is that most of these dogs respond amazingly well to positive reinforcement training methods because they are so easy to please.

*tip. Train him to "drop it" is easy by exchanging the contested item for a delicious treat. Any dog will drop a remote or tennis ball on the ground on command for a tiny piece of bacon or lunch meat/cheese whatever and some praise. You'll find him bringing random things to you and just dropping them at your feet in time and that should help with the possessive tendencies. Good luck!

Miller101 01-05-2009 12:52 PM

[quote=757SkinsGirl;517793]I live with them, and my man won't even come to the house anymore. They say "but he's so good 95% of the time..." and won't listen to anything anyone else will say, other than the vet, who told her not to put him down. *shrug* I don't know what else to say or do at this point.[/quote]

Just call the Dog Whisperer. He will train him! :)

mredskins 01-05-2009 01:35 PM

Funny story about my mutt dog. My son is now nine months old and he is crawling. So we decide to make this downstairs room in my house his "safe" room to crawl around in and play. Well my dog needs to be caged during the day when we go to work (I live close enough to home to let him out at lunch) and the cage is in that room.

So we move the cage to a diffrent room he goes crazy barking and everything. Now mind you he has never hated going in the cage, has always gone in since being a puppy. I try a diffrent spot same results. Well this morning I get his treat and he runs down to the room where his cage use to be and stands in that spot where the cage is suppose to be. So funny so I just put the cage back in the orginally spot and he happily went in it.

I think he is just sick of having to change for the baby and that was the last straw! In away I hear him.

cpayne5 01-05-2009 02:19 PM

Ha, good story. If you want to eventually move the dog's cage into the other room, move it a little at a time. Like a foot a day. Eventually, he won't mind being in the other room. ;)

mredskins 01-05-2009 02:52 PM

[quote=cpayne5;517945]Ha, good story. If you want to eventually move the dog's cage into the other room, move it a little at a time. Like a foot a day. Eventually, he won't mind being in the other room. ;)[/quote]

Well I wanted it on the third floor of my town house, it is going to be weird moving it a foot a day espically when I get to the stairs. =)

FRPLG 01-05-2009 02:52 PM

[quote=757SkinsGirl;517868]Since I've been here, we've actually gotten Max on a daily walking schedule (they never walked the dog in 3 years) and he's now to the point where he'll sit at the door and cry like a baby until someone takes him. They've also gotten better about leaving things on the floor that he can "take" and get aggressive over. When he gets excited, he will literally "steal" anything he catches a glimpse of (shoe, phone, remote, soda bottle, anything) and will bite when you try and "take" it back. He has a "corner" that he's claimed for himself, where he takes these things. Trying to "take away the corner" does no good. He'll either push the furniture out of the way, or just sit near where the corner should be. I don't know what to do about that, but like I said, finally, after 3 years, they've gotten it through their heads, not to leave things on the floor that he can grab. They've also agreed to have him "fixed", which should have been done when he was a pup, but still have yet to do. They say "money is a factor", so I called SNiPs. They'll do it for $75, but they would rather have "their" vet do it. I'm trying, they seem to be trying. Maxs' vet said, if all else fails, and even after all the "work" and "having him fixed, if all else fails"...we can have him put on doggy prozac.

I've seen some improvement in him. I just worry that, once I'm in a better place and can afford to get out on my own again, the work with him will stop, and it will have been all for nothing.[/quote]
They need a new vet with a clue. Is this the Dr. Nick of vets?

FRPLG 01-05-2009 03:00 PM

[quote=mredskins;517958]Well I wanted it on the third floor of my town house, it is going to be weird moving it a foot a day espically when I get to the stairs. =)[/quote]

His crate is his room and most of us would feel a little out of sorts just up and moving our safest and most comfortable spot we know somewhere new. And we're and advanced species with objective critical thinking. Like cpayne said you just need to move it slowly. Move it a couple feet every 2 or 3 days. when you get to the stairs leave it at the bottom for a week and then jump it up the stairs. Leav it there for another week. The move up the stiars will be harder. He may get worked up. Give it some time. He'll get just a s comfortable eventually. Will the dog be able to access the cage on the new level freely? If so put a treat or a favortie toy in there as much as possible. Do everything you can to make it comfortable for him.

mredskins 01-05-2009 03:30 PM

[quote=FRPLG;517962]His crate is his room and most of us would feel a little out of sorts just up and moving our safest and most comfortable spot we know somewhere new. And we're and advanced species with objective critical thinking. Like cpayne said you just need to move it slowly. Move it a couple feet every 2 or 3 days. when you get to the stairs leave it at the bottom for a week and then jump it up the stairs. Leav it there for another week. The move up the stiars will be harder. He may get worked up. Give it some time. He'll get just a s comfortable eventually. Will the dog be able to access the cage on the new level freely? If so put a treat or a favortie toy in there as much as possible. Do everything you can to make it comfortable for him.[/quote]

Thanks dude for the advice but he can just stay in the same room. Eventually my son is going to walk and he will be all over the place not just that one room.

SmootSmack 01-07-2009 10:18 AM

[url=http://www.cbs47.tv/news/local/story/9-Year-Old-Boy-Hero-in-Pit-Bull-Attack/NugqI-UpPUiNI0MHEGTqDQ.cspx]Nobody Bothers Me![/url]

GMScud 01-07-2009 10:25 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;518545][URL="http://www.cbs47.tv/news/local/story/9-Year-Old-Boy-Hero-in-Pit-Bull-Attack/NugqI-UpPUiNI0MHEGTqDQ.cspx"]Nobody Bothers Me![/URL][/quote]

Haha! Remeber those Jhoon Rhee ads from back in the day?? "Jhoon Ree means fight for right!!"