Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brian Cushing (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=27994)

Dirtbag59 01-20-2009 06:39 PM

Brian Cushing

In an attempt to help get the Peppers thread back on track I've decided to start a thread for Brian Cushing as it looks like, according to our very own Smootsmack, that the guy will be a player of interest from Vinny and Friends this offseason.

Highlights
[YT]-_vtDlADHJo[/YT]

Stats: Funny thing is upon looking at this I was like "Whoa, 177 tackles? Leet!" So keep in mind that 177 is his career total not his total for 2008.
[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174146]Brian Cushing Stats, News, Photos - USC Trojans - NCAA College Football - ESPN[/url]

Overall Evaluation from Scouts Inc:
[I]Scouts Grade: 92
Overall Ranking: 20
Position Ranking: 2
[/I]
Production: 3
Height-Weight Speed: 1
Durability: 4

Instincts-Recognition: 1
Pursuit, Point of Attack: 2
Tackling: 2
Pass Rusher: 2
Pass Coverage: 2

[B]Trait Scale
1 = [B]Exceptional, 2 = Above Average, 3 = Average, 4 = Below Average, 5 = Marginal[/B]
[/B]

GMScud 01-20-2009 06:45 PM

Re: Brian Cushing

I personally think Cushing is a beast, but I've heard him compared to Barbie Carpenter (aka Bobby), who can't even crack the starting lineup in Dallas.

[url=http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=10392&draftyear=2006&genpos=OLB]Bobby Carpenter*|*Ohio State,*OLB*:*2006 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile[/url]

WaldSkins 01-20-2009 07:06 PM

[quote=GMScud;521791]I personally think Cushing is a beast, but I've heard him compared to Barbie Carpenter (aka Bobby), who [B]can't even crack the starting lineup in Dallas.
[/B]
[url=http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=10392&draftyear=2006&genpos=OLB]Bobby Carpenter*|*Ohio State,*OLB*:*2006 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile[/url][/quote]

Yeah but i bet he would start on our team over Mcintosh and Washington

Eknox 01-20-2009 07:30 PM

he's okay but middle linebacker Rey Maualuga is the real beast ..I know we already have London , but you just can't pass up a guy who could be there for the next 8 years.. it seems like when these type of once in a lifetime players are available we are always looking for something else... except for the case of Sean Taylor RIP..

Trample the Elderly 01-20-2009 09:09 PM

I like it. I like it a lot? Will it happen? We'll have to wait and see.

GMScud 01-20-2009 09:22 PM

Every time I hear the name Cushing, I can't help but think of Jerry O'Connell playing Frank "Cush" Cushman in Jerry McGuire.

MiraclesHappen07 01-20-2009 09:45 PM

I like Cushing, but if he is as good as everyone says he is, i doubt he will be around come the 13th pick of the draft. BUt i would love to have him replace Washington

Dirtbag59 01-20-2009 11:44 PM

Mike Mayock felt like Cushing easily had the best day out of USC's 3 LB's. On top of that he sees Cushing's stock continuing to go up though I don't know where he had him initially.

WaldSkins 01-21-2009 12:03 AM

As much as I think we are weak a LB, our O-line needs to be our main focus in the draft.

itvnetop 01-21-2009 12:10 AM

I'm actually more of a fan of Cush than Rey... Cush was way more consistent outside, but he can play inside or out. Rey's definitely got potential, but the question is his field smarts.

SmootSmack 01-21-2009 09:26 AM

[quote=itvnetop;521850]I'm actually more of a fan of Cush than Rey... Cush was way more consistent outside, but he can play inside or out. Rey's definitely got potential, but the question is his field smarts.[/quote]

I hear mixed things on Rey depending on who is speaking. As for Cush, I think he's got a lot of talent and potential to be a great player in the NFL but I'm not convinced that we can get him later in the first or even early in the 2nd. Of course that means someone has to trade up with us.

I think there is a concern that the Saints are eyeing him at 14, which is possible I suppose. But if you can trade down with say Detroit and get the 20th and 33rd picks and get something like Sintim and Britton out of it (just throwing two possible names out there), I would think that's better than just Cushing

SFREDSKIN 01-21-2009 10:57 AM

The name to remember who is just as good and will be a value pick maybe in the 3rd-4th round. [B]Zack Follett LB out of Cal Berkeley[/B], this guy is a playmaker that has a nose for the football and is playing in the Senior bowl.

ST21RIP 01-21-2009 11:13 AM

NO WAY is this guy worthy of the 13th pick. NO WAY. He's 2nd round talent.

Remember Dallas Sartz? He had better numbers than Cushin at SC. He's now selling car insurance.

SmootSmack 01-21-2009 11:23 AM

I think when all is said and done and the Redskins really start doing their research, they won't take Cushing so high as 13. They'll see that there will be other BPAs at that point who also fill needs

Whiteboi_J 01-21-2009 11:50 AM

Ya everyone wants to drop Washington, but I think we have to keep him for another year b/c A. we need LB depth (even though he might only be able to play half the season) and 2. Our OL is a higher priority than OLB. See now if we trade down to get more picks back, then we might be able to pick up one of the low 1st round LBs like Clint Sintim from UVA and use the two 3rd round picks (from trading down) to pick up two interior lineman. But i think we could wait till the 3rd round for an OLB, and get ILB in next years draft.

If we don't trade down, use our first pick on LT Jason Smith from Baylor, or if we trade down, either OT Britton from Arizona or OT Steven Beatty from UCONN, his stock is rising to a late 1st, early 2nd round..also OT Troy Kropog from Tulane's stock is rising...those two or three could be used as a back-up this year, and be ready to start in a year or two when samuel's contract is up

on the flip side, we could draft Jason Smith if he's available at 13 and have a LT for the next 12 years, but wat would we do for this year? have him play RT? do we have him as a back-up or have him and samuels split time right down the middle? Plus we'd only have a 3rd, 5th, 6th, picks left, and we need some depth...i hope we can hit on one of the low draft picks or undrafted FAs (a la Horton) but I wouldn't count on it