Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/)
-   -   Cuts Announced (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/28-cuts-announced.html)

CrazyCanuck 02-24-2004 05:02 PM

Cuts Announced

ESPNews just announced the Redskins have cut 4 players today:

Player Cap Savings
Bruce $6.5M
Armstead $1.5M
Dalton $1.4M
Barker $900G

Total Savings: $10.5M

I'll try to post an updated cap list.

johnnyredskin63 02-24-2004 05:14 PM

[COLOR=Black]i saw that too wildman of the north.they had to cut grandpa bruce because he would not retire.i love that.[/COLOR]

CrazyCanuck 02-24-2004 05:30 PM

Ya I do like freeing up $10.5M of cap space.

We should note also that the "Dead Money on Redskins 2004 Cap" is now up to $8.1M. That's 10% of the cap for nothing.

Of course this dead money is due to past mistakes, and we're looking a lot cleaner for the future, so I'll hold off on cursing out Snyder and the FO. I actually think they are doing a very good job lately.

Defensewins 02-24-2004 05:31 PM

I hate to say it but none of those players will be missed. They can all be easily replaced for a lot less than $10.5M and with improved play to boot!

johnnyredskin63 02-24-2004 05:35 PM

[FONT=Fixedsys]grandpa bruce will probably be claimed by the bills so he can retire where he came in at.all of the guys cut can easily be replaced though.[/FONT]

SkinsRock 02-24-2004 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck]Ya I do like freeing up $10.5M of cap space.

We should note also that the "Dead Money on Redskins 2004 Cap" is now up to $8.1M. That's 10% of the cap for nothing.

Of course this dead money is due to past mistakes, and we're looking a lot cleaner for the future, so I'll hold off on cursing out Snyder and the FO. I actually think they are doing a very good job lately.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the FO doing a much better job lately. Plus, we are nowhere near where we were a couple years ago with "dead money", and correct me if I'm wrong, but every team has [I]some[/I] dead money against their cap. It's something that goes along with the territory in this age of the salary cap and FA.

azskinsfan2 02-24-2004 06:04 PM

I totally agree that we won't miss any of them. I think the only way the Bills would pick up Bruce is if he'd agree to retire before the season just so he could say he retired as a Bill. I don't know if Bruce would even want to go back there to retire because he was so pissed when they got rid of him in the first place. I really don't see him coming back to play for any one else this season. His career is done. He should either retire as a Skin or a Bill. At least we gave him the chance to set the record!!!!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 02-24-2004 06:07 PM

Does anyone have an itemized list of how we got all that dead money?

Daseal 02-24-2004 06:12 PM

Only one I might miss is Armstead, he had a solid year for us. Mitchell and Pierce were wasted on the bench though.

CrazyCanuck 02-24-2004 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=SkinsRock]I agree about the FO doing a much better job lately. Plus, we are nowhere near where we were a couple years ago with "dead money", and correct me if I'm wrong, but every team has [I]some[/I] dead money against their cap. It's something that goes along with the territory in this age of the salary cap and FA.[/QUOTE]

Ya nowadays it's almost impossible to have no dead money. Any player signed to a long term contract will inevitably lead to a "Dead Money Hit" when that player is released/traded down the road. The keys are to keep this DMH to a minimum and more importantly make sure these DMHs don't overlap (ie occur in the same year) whenever possible.

I think the Skins have been doing a good job lately in both areas.

CrazyCanuck 02-24-2004 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]Does anyone have an itemized list of how we got all that dead money?[/QUOTE]

Based on my best estimates:

Dead Bonus Money on 2004 Cap
DT Dan Wilkinson $3,940
DE Bruce Smith $3,002
LB Jessie Armstead $417
TE Zeron Flemister $233
G/T Rod Jones $166
CB Alex Molden $100
QB Rob Johnson $125
P Bryan Barker $125

Total $8,107

Gmanc711 02-24-2004 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck]Ya nowadays it's almost impossible to have no dead money. Any player signed to a long term contract will inevitably lead to a "Dead Money Hit" when that player is released/traded down the road. The keys are to keep this DMH to a minimum and more importantly make sure these DMHs don't overlap (ie occur in the same year) whenever possible.

I think the Skins have been doing a good job lately in both areas.[/QUOTE]
Armstead is the only one that could even be remotley missed, and I really think we have the talent already in Peirce to be jsut fine. Peace to the rest of them. I will agree with about the FO, but its kinda hard not to improve from waht we were doing in 2000, lol, they are doing a good job right now though.

CrazyCanuck 02-24-2004 06:28 PM

Correction

I think my Bruce Smith "dead money" estimate was off above.

I believe it is actually $2.335M, bringing the 2004 dead money total to $7.441M.

drew54 02-24-2004 07:14 PM

I think we could pick up used mannequins at the JC Penny's clearence sale for about $5 that would play better than those stiffs.

ADIOS