Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mock Database Update (1/30) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=28158)

Eknox 01-31-2009 03:02 AM

Re: Mock Database Update (1/30)

take Maualuga at 13 or BJ Raji

vallin21 01-31-2009 08:25 AM

[quote=Eknox;524191]take Maualuga at 13 or BJ Raji[/quote]

Malaauga is not a need, (we have Flecther) you either take an OT at 13, draft the OLB from Wake. Bj Raja is not a top 13 pick, you can get him in the mid 20's in the 1st and get a 3rd.

horny4zorny-nohomo 01-31-2009 10:19 AM

you have to remember that joe bugel is still the I line coach!

Daseal 01-31-2009 11:38 AM

Trading down means you need a partner, which is easier said than done. However, we're in a good spot for trading down. We're out of the ridiculous money tier, but still allows teams to get great prospects.

The Goat 01-31-2009 01:01 PM

[quote=horny4zorny-nohomo;524203]you have to remember that joe bugel is still the I line coach![/quote]

I don't know how much that matters anymore. As to our biggest position of need (OT) it looks like Andre Smith and Monroe will be long gone by 13. The consensus brewing around here it seems is we should pass on Oher, who looks more likely to fall to us now. So the only other 1st round rated tackle is Jason Smith but he's expected to go later in the round. Trading w/ the lions may actually be perfect to get J. Smith and pickup a third rd pick (if Vinny is dead set on the line). I'll be a little uneasy about this for two reasons: when it comes to 3rd and later round talent Vinny seems to be totally hit and miss, as in C. Rinehart. Impossible to say whether another 3rd round selection will do us any good whatsoever. This is why I'm almost more inclined to stay @ 13 no matter what and get the best talent, as in it's harder for Vinny to f up. I would say if the o tackles are gone but Curry or Rey M. fall to us we ought to take one of them and run. Obviously Curry is the perfect OLB but [B]why couldn't Rey step in there for some time before taking over for London in 2 years or so? Is that completely unheard of?[/B]

Personally I think it's interesting tackle is considered a relatively safe 1st round pick now.

The Goat 01-31-2009 01:10 PM

I notice Jason Smith is the smallest of the 1st round grade o tackles. I don't like that. Being the smallest, oldest, slowest line in our division and maybe in the whole league I'd like to see some injection of mass in the trench. Too bad Duke Robinson doesn't play tackle (if we could trade down) cause holy crap that sucker is big.

Dirtbag59 01-31-2009 01:37 PM

I just want a running back or a reciever. Though I'd be fine with a corner or safety with our first pick.

Eknox 01-31-2009 01:45 PM

[quote=vallin21;524193]Malaauga is not a need, (we have Flecther) you either take an OT at 13, draft the OLB from Wake. Bj Raja is not a top 13 pick, you can get him in the mid 20's in the 1st and get a 3rd.[/quote]

I know we have Fletcher , but do we keep with the thinking that has us where we are now ..waiting until a player is on his last leg? Or do we grab a game changing BEAST and work his way into the lineup for the next decade...We need someone that's going to bring the hammer like Malaauga. A lot of mocks having BJ Raji going 12 to Denver , and a lot of them are thinking he'll rise even higher after the combine...some have him going as high as 4th (just my opinion)

Eknox 01-31-2009 01:52 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;524217]I just want a running back or a reciever. Though I'd be fine with a corner or safety with our first pick.[/quote]

I like the RB at 13 we need a change of pace Betts is not Betts anymore, and that's all we have behind CP I like Marcus Mason whatever happened to him I wonder.../Which RB would you take at that spot ?

GMScud 01-31-2009 02:11 PM

[quote=Eknox;524220]I like the RB at 13 we need a change of pace Betts is not Betts anymore, and that's all we have behind CP I like Marcus Mason whatever happened to him I wonder.../Which RB would you take at that spot ?[/quote]

Pretty sure he was kidding...

vallin21 01-31-2009 03:32 PM

[quote=Eknox;524220]I like the RB at 13 we need a change of pace Betts is not Betts anymore, and that's all we have behind CP I like Marcus Mason whatever happened to him I wonder.../Which RB would you take at that spot ?[/quote]

LOL I hope so too

Seriously, MLB is not a need and if we can still get two years out of Flecther why draft an MLB in waiting when OLB (Curry if he's there) is more of a pressing need? It doesn't look like we can get Monroe or the kid from Alabama but if we can we should grab him, and if not we trade down in the 1st.

WaldSkins 01-31-2009 04:54 PM

Anyone watching the Espn college skills test. PK Pat Mcafee is kicking the shit out of the ball.

freddyg12 01-31-2009 04:59 PM

[quote=Daseal;524208]Trading down means you need a partner, which is easier said than done. However, we're in a good spot for trading down. We're out of the ridiculous money tier, but still allows teams to get great prospects.[/quote]

True, 13 is a good spot, especially these days w/the underclassmen coming out there are great players in that range at decent prices.

Trading down would be good considering our lack of picks, but if they feel a future pro bowl LT a la Samuels is there at 13 I say grab him. I doubt that will be the case, and likely Oher will be the best tackle by then.

Two teams right off hand have picks they could deal - Philly(21,28) & Detroit (1,20 + an extra 3rd & 6th from the pokes). Philly isn't out of the question, remember they dealt Thrash back to us in 04. Detroit will be interesting; M.Mayhew, our former cb, is their GM. Schwartz, their new HC, is said to be a big "money ball" guy, so if he has much say in personel, they are less likely it seems to trade up.

Anyone else know of any teams w/extra picks that might deal?

SBXVII 01-31-2009 06:51 PM

Buges is known for taking talent and upgrading it. I say we make the splash for a big FA OT. A seasoned one who will come in learn the plays and contribute. Only to help protect JC. Then we look to get a big DT who will be able to collapse a pocket from the draft. It's not as hard to bring in young talent and tell them to simply collapse the pocket. Then we can look to the OLB everyone is screaming for and DE after in the later rounds. Funny some blasted the person for wanting a RB but that's exactly what the RB coach said he wanted a shiftier RB as a change up to Portis.

As for Mason (whome I liked) last I heard after going to the Ravens he went to the Jets. However a week ago I looked to see if he was still employed by them in hopes we could ask him back and could not find him on the roster. No where. So I'm not sure if he was let go or inured.

I found that wanting a WR in the 1st round funny though.

vallin21 01-31-2009 07:45 PM

[quote=SBXVII;524260]Buges is known for taking talent and upgrading it. I say we make the splash for a big FA OT. A seasoned one who will come in learn the plays and contribute. Only to help protect JC. Then we look to get a big DT who will be able to collapse a pocket from the draft. It's not as hard to bring in young talent and tell them to simply collapse the pocket. Then we can look to the OLB everyone is screaming for and DE after in the later rounds. Funny some blasted the person for wanting a RB but that's exactly what the RB coach said he wanted a shiftier RB as a change up to Portis.

As for Mason (whome I liked) last I heard after going to the Ravens he went to the Jets. However a week ago I looked to see if he was still employed by them in hopes we could ask him back and could not find him on the roster. No where. So I'm not sure if he was let go or inured.

I found that wanting a WR in the 1st round funny though.[/quote]
I never said I didn't want a change of pace back (Sporles), but I think that guy was talking about selecting a RB with the 13th pick, (and I'm still trying to figure out if he was serious or not). I was just saying we should look for a guy like that in the late rounds (4-7) but [B]not[/B] at 13.