Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My Impressions of Some OL Prospects at the NFL Combine (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=28543)

KI Skins Fan 02-23-2009 03:59 PM

My Impressions of Some OL Prospects at the NFL Combine

I spent some time looking at live Combine workouts of Offensive Linemen on nfl.com. Based on that and other information I picked up about them over time, I’m going to share my impressions of some players with you and I’m looking forward to reading yours, as well. Please understand that I didn’t see everybody who you might think is a top prospect. I’m only commenting on those who I saw workout.

OT

Jason Smith (6-5 309 Baylor) and Eugene Monroe (6-5 309 Virginia) looked great in their workouts. Of course, we don’t have a snowball’s chance of drafting one of these studs.

Just a small step down from the top two were Eben Britton (6-6 309 Arizona) and Jason Watkins (6-6 318 Florida). Britton has very short arms, so he might not be the RT candidate for us but Watkins has good measurables and he looks like a talent to me. Watkins might be a good pick in Round 3.

Michael Oher (6-5 309 Mississippi) and Fenuki Tupou (6-5 314 Oregon) did not look good to me. Tupou did not seem to be very quick or to have good balance. Oher didn’t seem to be trying very hard.

OG

Duke Robinson (6-5 329 Oklahoma) stands head and shoulders above the rest of the Guards, IMO. He is amazingly quick and agile for such a massive man and there were no surprises with him. He’s as big as expected, he runs as well as expected, etc. I’d love to see him in B&G.

Surprisingly, there were two late round OG’s whose workouts were nearly as good as Duke’s. They were Matt Slauson (6-5 316 Nebraska) and Seth Olsen (6-5 306 Iowa). Slauson didn’t run or lift, so his pro day should be important for him. Olson only did 23 reps on the bench which seems to me to be unimpressive for an OG. He ran well, though. Anyway, they are just a couple of players who might be able to play down the road, if drafted.

Another Guard impressed me for a reason other than his workout because, frankly, he didn’t work out that well. He is Kraig Urbik (6-5 328 Wisconsin). Kraig is coming back from knee surgery and he really toughed it out in the drills. He also has good size and strength and is well regarded by the scouts. He could drop in the draft and turn out to be a steal for some team.

OC

Eric Wood (6-4 310 Louisville) is a man! He had a great workout. He’s fast and quick and he has very long arms. He also did 30 reps on the bench at the combine. He looked like a first-rate prospect.

Max Unger (6-5 309 Oregon) also shined in drills but he only did 22 bench reps at the combine. Other than the bench reps, there’s a lot to like about him as a prospect. Scouts say that he can play any position on the line. That’s a valuable commodity.

That’s all, folks!

freddyg12 02-23-2009 04:08 PM

Re: My Impressions of Some OL Prospects at the NFL Combine

Nice work KI!
Reading this gives me hope that there are a couple guys we might be able to nab in rounds 3-6 that could be long term starters. there always in the draft, just gotta find em.

Don't be so sure that Smith & Monroe will be gone by #13. Smith at least sounds like he's not a lock to be taken in the top 10. It looks like this draft is heavy on OT, OLB/DE & WR. If a bunch of teams take wr's & DEs early, we could have our pick at a couple of the top 5 OTs. Oher sounds pretty risky, not worth #13.

SmootSmack 02-23-2009 04:39 PM

[quote=KI Skins Fan;529182]I spent some time looking at live Combine workouts of Offensive Linemen on nfl.com. Based on that and other information I picked up about them over time, I’m going to share my impressions of some players with you and I’m looking forward to reading yours, as well. Please understand that I didn’t see everybody who you might think is a top prospect. I’m only commenting on those who I saw workout.[/quote]

Nice thread. I'll add in some of my own thoughts

[quote]OT

Jason Smith (6-5 309 Baylor) and Eugene Monroe (6-5 309 Virginia) looked great in their workouts. Of course, we don’t have a snowball’s chance of drafting one of these studs.[/quote]

Awesome performances this weekend. They're probably going 1 and 2 right now

[quote]Just a small step down from the top two were Eben Britton (6-6 309 Arizona) and Jason Watkins (6-6 318 Florida). Britton has very short arms, so he might not be the RT candidate for us but Watkins has good measurables and he looks like a talent to me. Watkins might be a good pick in Round 3.

Michael Oher (6-5 309 Mississippi) and Fenuki Tupou (6-5 314 Oregon) did not look good to me. Tupou did not seem to be very quick or to have good balance. Oher didn’t seem to be trying very hard.[/quote]

I like Britton if we trade down late into the first round. From a physical standpoint he does have limitations though. He's like the anti-Andre Smith. Physically limited, emotionally and mentally a stud. Effort has often been the knock on Oher.

[quote]
OG

Duke Robinson (6-5 329 Oklahoma) stands head and shoulders above the rest of the Guards, IMO. He is amazingly quick and agile for such a massive man and there were no surprises with him. He’s as big as expected, he runs as well as expected, etc. I’d love to see him in B&G.[/quote]

Duke has been the one guy above all else that I've wanted in this draft (him and Barwin, but Barwin ain't coming here). He would be such a great addition to this team. But we're not taking him at 13.

[quote]Surprisingly, there were two late round OG’s whose workouts were nearly as good as Duke’s. They were Matt Slauson (6-5 316 Nebraska) and Seth Olsen (6-5 306 Iowa). Slauson didn’t run or lift, so his pro day should be important for him. Olson only did 23 reps on the bench which seems to me to be unimpressive for an OG. He ran well, though. Anyway, they are just a couple of players who might be able to play down the road, if drafted.

Another Guard impressed me for a reason other than his workout because, frankly, he didn’t work out that well. He is Kraig Urbik (6-5 328 Wisconsin). Kraig is coming back from knee surgery and he really toughed it out in the drills. He also has good size and strength and is well regarded by the scouts. He could drop in the draft and turn out to be a steal for some team.[/quote]

Another guy rumored to be on the Redskins radar at guard, for late in the draft (after the 4th round probably) is Andy Kemp

[QOTE]OC

Eric Wood (6-4 310 Louisville) is a man! He had a great workout. He’s fast and quick and he has very long arms. He also did 30 reps on the bench at the combine. He looked like a first-rate prospect.

Max Unger (6-5 309 Oregon) also shined in drills but he only did 22 bench reps at the combine. Other than the bench reps, there’s a lot to like about him as a prospect. Scouts say that he can play any position on the line. That’s a valuable commodity.

That’s all, folks![/QUOTE]

Nice recap

Nflnick11 02-23-2009 07:44 PM

wait SS why do you not like Oher?? The guy can play RT for us and do great, or he can play Guard

tryfuhl 02-23-2009 08:39 PM

I'm not trying to take down anyone, but after about a year of working out (I'm fairly athletically inclined/strong) I was able to hit as many/more 225 reps as some of these guys (I would warmup on bench with 225 for 10-12 reps before moving onto actual sets, 225 i could do 25-30 times). Granted that was a few years ago when I was 22, that puts me right where they were. I was 210 though, at much lower bodyfat.

Is that an endurance thing or do they just not have a lot of strength due to not training because of their size?

ChickenMonkey 02-23-2009 09:07 PM

[B]Jamon Meridith OT South Carolina [/B]

Mark my words this guy will be one of the best OT's taken oin the 2009 draft

Strengths
Has experience of playing both the left and right tackle spots on the offensive line as well as having played inside at guard too. Is very powerful and looks good when setting up in pass protection.

skinsfan_nn 02-23-2009 09:33 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;529272]I'm not trying to take down anyone, but after about a year of working out (I'm fairly athletically inclined/strong) I was able to hit as many/more 225 reps as some of these guys (I would warmup on bench with 225 for 10-12 reps before moving onto actual sets, 225 i could do 25-30 times). Granted that was a few years ago when I was 22, that puts me right where they were. I was 210 though, at much lower bodyfat.

Is that an endurance thing or do they just not have a lot of strength due to not training because of their size?[/quote]

That varies from individual to individual. Each player has strengths and weaknesses. Just think some athletes run fast and can't lift strong on the bench or vise versa, some have it all or at least most. Most of these kids are still developing or getting ready to properly develop most muscle groups to a new level.

From what I've seen and dealt with in my own training regimen. Bench press is often (for even a lot of athletes) not the easiest lift to perfect unless training constantly on the bench and/or having a great lifting coach to work with. So many factors come into play with bench press lifting arm length, short or long. Shorter arms can be a huge benefit when bench press training, do to stroke length.

In the gym I train at now I have one of our Skins current WR's training and a Pro-Bowler from the Colts. And it's interesting to watch there workout, great program's, elite athletes. But from a first hand account bench press is not a strong point for either.

Just a side note:The flip side which is way cool. My youngest son which just turned 19, 5'7" 130lbs...football, wrestling background. Can put the smack down on 225 on the bench, and put out the sets and the reps....maxing at 250.

LandrySlice 02-23-2009 10:24 PM

It's really hard to get a feel for these OL just from watching work outs and drills, I watched for about 3 hours today and didin't really get much out of it (granted these were the DL/LB's today). Game tape and if they are going to be solid off the field is the only things to worry about, especially with the 13th pick. I haven't been hearing much about Duke on the news, is even a 1st round projection???

53Fan 02-23-2009 10:32 PM

[quote=ChickenMonkey;529282][B]Jamon Meridith OT South Carolina [/B]

Mark my words this guy will be one of the best OT's taken oin the 2009 draft

Strengths
Has experience of playing both the left and right tackle spots on the offensive line as well as having played inside at guard too. Is very powerful and looks good when setting up in pass protection.[/quote]

I like this guy myself. Good prospect!

SFREDSKIN 02-23-2009 10:38 PM

I'm gonna go with local guys (Maryland that is)

Dan Gronkowski- GreatSleeper pick
Derrius Heyward-Bey-Lightning speed w/ great potential (4.26/4.27 in the 40)

SFREDSKIN 02-23-2009 10:39 PM

oops, I saw OL prospects after I posted. sorry.

KI Skins Fan 02-24-2009 08:29 AM

[quote=LandrySlice;529311]I haven't been hearing much about Duke on the news, is even a 1st round projection???[/quote]

Late 1st on most boards. We'll probably take an OT, though.

FRPLG 02-24-2009 08:52 AM

[quote=KI Skins Fan;529182]I spent some time looking at live Combine workouts of Offensive Linemen on nfl.com. Based on that and other information I picked up about them over time, I’m going to share my impressions of some players with you and I’m looking forward to reading yours, as well. Please understand that I didn’t see everybody who you might think is a top prospect. I’m only commenting on those who I saw workout.

OT

Jason Smith (6-5 309 Baylor) and Eugene Monroe (6-5 309 Virginia) looked great in their workouts. Of course, we don’t have a snowball’s chance of drafting one of these studs.

Just a small step down from the top two were Eben Britton (6-6 309 Arizona) and Jason Watkins (6-6 318 Florida). Britton has very short arms, so he might not be the RT candidate for us but Watkins has good measurables and he looks like a talent to me. Watkins might be a good pick in Round 3.

Michael Oher (6-5 309 Mississippi) and Fenuki Tupou (6-5 314 Oregon) did not look good to me. Tupou did not seem to be very quick or to have good balance. Oher didn’t seem to be trying very hard.

OG

Duke Robinson (6-5 329 Oklahoma) stands head and shoulders above the rest of the Guards, IMO. He is amazingly quick and agile for such a massive man and there were no surprises with him. He’s as big as expected, he runs as well as expected, etc. I’d love to see him in B&G.

Surprisingly, there were two late round OG’s whose workouts were nearly as good as Duke’s. They were Matt Slauson (6-5 316 Nebraska) and Seth Olsen (6-5 306 Iowa). Slauson didn’t run or lift, so his pro day should be important for him. Olson only did 23 reps on the bench which seems to me to be unimpressive for an OG. He ran well, though. Anyway, they are just a couple of players who might be able to play down the road, if drafted.

Another Guard impressed me for a reason other than his workout because, frankly, he didn’t work out that well. He is Kraig Urbik (6-5 328 Wisconsin). Kraig is coming back from knee surgery and he really toughed it out in the drills. He also has good size and strength and is well regarded by the scouts. He could drop in the draft and turn out to be a steal for some team.

OC

That’s all, folks![/quote]

Good stuff man. I applaud the effort. I'd love us to find a G and T in this draft that can play us immediately. Finding a starting guard should be possible after the 1st based on what you have here.

FRPLG 02-24-2009 08:54 AM

[quote=freddyg12;529186]Nice work KI!
Reading this gives me hope that there are a couple guys we might be able to nab in rounds 3-6 that could be long term starters. there always in the draft, just gotta find em.

Don't be so sure that Smith & Monroe will be gone by #13. Smith at least sounds like he's not a lock to be taken in the top 10. It looks like this draft is heavy on OT, OLB/DE & WR. If a bunch of teams take wr's & DEs early, we could have our pick at a couple of the top 5 OTs. Oher sounds pretty risky, not worth #13.[/quote]

Wrong Smith. Jason WILL be gone in the top 3. Andre crapped himself out of the top 10 with his non-workout/leave town Irsay style/awful interview trifecta.

53Fan 02-24-2009 10:42 PM

Nice thread. Good work.

That Guy 02-24-2009 11:28 PM

yep, good thread. I really don't have anything to add.

thanks.