Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=28640)

Dirtbag59 02-28-2009 02:30 PM

Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

[quote=The Goat;531837][URL="http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/Feb/27/caponomics-park/"]Caponomics at the Park - Redskins 360 - Washington Redskins Blog - The Washington Times[/URL]

If the Elfin article is accurate and we are done in FA I think we almost have to approach the draft like we're gonna pick two legit starters at RT and OLB.

To me then the key is getting a pick in the 2nd round via trade so a deal w/ the Lions makes sense... they get the 13th overall and we get their 1st and 2nd rd picks. If we have to sweeten the deal by giving them our last pick (6th round?) we ought to, again just to guarantee we get a shot at 2nd round talent.

... at 20, if all this works out, I think we would be really fortunate to get either Oher, A. Smith or Rey M. If any one of them is available it's an easy pick and then we take the other pos of need in the 2nd round. Anyway, I don't think Vinny can really take the BPA approach, which I thought was just some made-up bullshit from last year anyway. We have to get RT and OLB studs in the first 2 rounds.[/quote]

In that case the availability of the big 4 will function as very attractive trade bait. Still I want Andre Smith for ourselves. Getting a guy like Smith could add about 100 to 200 yards to our rushing total next year.

Dirtbag59 02-28-2009 02:32 PM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;531736]Going off the value chart it is kind of tricky to make your scenario work, just because the value of the 2nd's of the teams picking the in 20's does not give them enough value (by the chart) to move up to 13 and get that 3rd. The two perfect partners for the Skins are the Patriots (which will never happen) who have picks 23/47 and the Dolphins 25/44 (Redskins pick). If you add those picks then you are basically looking at enough value to move up to 13 and get a 5th back (but not the third). Basically any team in the 20's would have to give both their first and second to move up to 13, but the Skins would not have to include a 3rd. I just don't know if a team would see tremendous value in doing that. Depends on who falls to 13 I guess.[/quote]

Sorry I was just using the Falcons trade last year as a templete, but keep in mind teams have thrown the draft chart out the window and given up huge amounts of draft pick value to insure that they get their guy. Brady Quinn I think is the quintessential example.

NM Redskin 02-28-2009 05:47 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;531882] Brady Quinn I think is the quintessential example.[/quote]

That is what I'm hoping for, for Sanchez. I think if he falls to 13, it might be real easy to trade that pick for good value.

joelew1@cox.net 02-28-2009 06:01 PM

The D was 4th overall last year. The focus should be more on the O side because they cost the team some games last year by not producing.

That Guy 02-28-2009 08:25 PM

[quote=NM Redskin;531994]That is what I'm hoping for, for Sanchez. I think if he falls to 13, it might be real easy to trade that pick for good value.[/quote]

i dont think we need him, but he'd probably be an upgrade over campbell in only a year or two. crabtree would REALLY help the O, but he won't be anywhere close to our pick, we have a lot in WRs already (none of his class though), etc etc. he has the same type of potential as Calvin J or randy moss though, to be prolific. too bad we can't trade our WRs from last year for him :P

campbell, a good WR, and our D should be enough to win with though.

JWDundees 02-28-2009 09:03 PM

Andre Smith or Brian Cushing will be the choice if we dont trade down.

I hope we do trade down and get an Alex Mack who can backup at center and guard in year one and then take over for Rabach next year.

SFREDSKIN 02-28-2009 09:09 PM

[quote=JWDundees;532090]Andre Smith or Brian Cushing will be the choice if we dont trade down.

I hope we do trade down and get an Alex Mack who can backup at center and guard in year one and then take over for Rabach next year.[/quote]
[B]
Picture this:[/B] Samuels, Dockery, Rabach/Mack,Thomas/Mack, Heyer/Jansen. From left to right we would have a wall, I have a feeling Jansen will bounce back. Mack probably would beat out Rabach.

Ruhskins 02-28-2009 09:25 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;532093][B]
Picture this:[/B] Samuels, Dockery, Rabach/Mack,Thomas/Mack, Heyer/Jansen. From left to right we would have a wall, I have a feeling Jansen will bounce back. Mack probably would beat out Rabach.[/quote]

I like what you have here, hopefully Thomas can remain healthy for the season. Although if Mack for some reason wouldn't be able to beat out Rabach, he'd be a nice insurance for Thomas.

SFREDSKIN 02-28-2009 09:29 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;532101]I like what you have here, hopefully Thomas can remain healthy for the season. Although if Mack for some reason wouldn't be able to beat out Rabach, he'd be a nice insurance for Thomas.[/quote]
We would also have some nice backups in Rinehart, Devin Clark (there's something about this kid I like), Heyer or Jansen, or Raback or Mack or Thomas, Gessinger.

Son Of Man 02-28-2009 09:38 PM

[quote=Nflnick11;531732]Keep in mind that mack would have to learn the schemes and how to pickup blitzs etc. Which would take a while, and seeing that we're built for this year, we can't be fooling around with a rookie center, plus I don't think he'd play that much this year anyway so it be a rinehart type pick (sitting on the sidelines all season)... Yes I know what your gonna say, that he can play guard, but we just got dock, and homas I hink will still be here next year, so we need to draft a RT not exactly a center...right now...(we also need an OLB a lot more than a center)[/quote]

On the Money! The pick will be between LB, OT, or traded down.

SFREDSKIN 02-28-2009 09:44 PM

Mack is smart!! Academic all-american from Cal not Monkey College, that's the beauty about him, he can play and is very smart.

Nflnick11 03-01-2009 10:27 AM

[quote=ChickenMonkey;531818]2 scenarios

[COLOR=darkred]NO TRADE[/COLOR]
1st Andre Smith OT
3rd Tyronne McKenzie OLB
5th Matt Shaughnessy DE Or L.Sidbury
6th Frantz Joseph ILB

[COLOR=darkred]Trade Down w/ Detriot Add 2nd rd Pick[/COLOR]
1st Larry English OLB
2nd Jamon Meredith OT
3rd Asher Allen CB
5th Matt Shaughnessy DE or L.Sidbury
6th Frantz Joseph ILB[/quote]

I love both your senarios, especially because I like about 75% of the players you named fitting in on our team... But ILB I feel isn't a need since we got blades and fletcher , and what do you think we should get Asher Allen or joe burnett of UCF who is a GREAT returner but just decent cover skills...although his coach George O'leary said that he's the best corner he's coached since Asante samuel...plus mayacok is high on him as a sleeper, and his former college teammate brandon Marshall has been telling the bongos to get this guy

Nflnick11 03-01-2009 10:33 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;532114]Mack is smart!! Academic all-american from Cal not Monkey College, that's the beauty about him, he can play and is very smart.[/quote]

Haha that means nothing man it's if he's really football smart and not school smart...no center coming out of college can just read NFL defenses right away... Next year, now that's another story...

53Fan 03-01-2009 11:48 AM

[quote=Nflnick11;532206]Haha that means nothing man it's if he's really football smart and not school smart.[B]..no center coming out of college can just read NFL defenses right away[/B]... Next year, now that's another story...[/quote]

Why do you keep saying this? Nick Mangold started as a rookie for the Jets in 2006 and had an outstanding year. So have others.

SFREDSKIN 03-01-2009 11:54 AM

[quote=Nflnick11;532206]Haha that means nothing man it's if he's really football smart and not school smart...no center coming out of college can just read NFL defenses right away... Next year, now that's another story...[/quote]

I can guarantee that Mack would start right away for anyone and Smith, Oher or however/whatever T would struggle at first. One thing Gibbs always liked in a player was smarts. Mack has it all.