Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   NFL Draft Central (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=28640)

SOUL-SKINS 03-06-2009 11:05 AM

Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

[quote=53Fan;534674]If the draft were held today, considering who I think would be available, I think the Skins would select either Oher or Cushing if they did'nt trade down.[/quote]

Why Cushing?

53Fan 03-06-2009 11:30 AM

[quote=SOUL-SKINS;534684]Why Cushing?[/quote]

He had a good showing at the combine, it's a position of need, and I have read that the FO likes him.

That Guy 03-06-2009 12:14 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;534076]I would hope that Maualuga has decent coverage skills, or he's not going to be much of a linebacker in this league.[/quote]

at 4.8something how great can he be? athletic TEs would eat him for lunch...

SmootSmack 03-06-2009 01:22 PM

[quote=That Guy;534707]at 4.8something how great can he be? athletic TEs would eat him for lunch...[/quote]

He pretty consistently runs it at around a 4.6. He was hurt (both physically and emotionally) during the combine

tootergray34 03-06-2009 01:29 PM

I Think Cush is a late 2nd to 3rd round choice at BEST. that's just my opinion though. we really need to address the OL before LB too.

vallin21 03-06-2009 02:19 PM

I would pass on Malauga, and Cushing. Both our very slow, and Cushing does not stay on the field enough to select him at 13. Malauga has good game speed but a 4.8 at the combine is disturbing. He plays MLB, a position which is a strength, and he hasn't shown he can play OLB. I like Cushing but I would wait until the third round to get a guy like Jason Williams:

Williams of Western Illinois didn't receive a Combine invitation, but 14 scouts did reportedly show up to his March 3 Pro Day, where he was clocked as fast as 4.46 second in the 40-yard dash. Only one small problem - [B]the time came on a basketball court.[/B] But he also put up 26 reps at 225 pounds and had a 39-inch vertical jump, according to the Chicago Sun-Times

The basketball court is a forgiving surface but I think we should look into him

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers]NFL Draft - 2009 Risers and Fallers - CBSSports.com Football[/url]

GMScud 03-06-2009 02:53 PM

[quote=vallin21;534745]I would pass on Malauga, and Cushing. Both our very slow, and Cushing does not stay on the field enough to select him at 13. Malauga has good game speed but a 4.8 at the combine is disturbing. He plays MLB, a position which is a strength, and he hasn't shown he can play OLB. I like Cushing but I would wait until the third round to get a guy like Jason Williams:

Williams of Western Illinois didn't receive a Combine invitation, but 14 scouts did reportedly show up to his March 3 Pro Day, where he was clocked as fast as 4.46 second in the 40-yard dash. Only one small problem - [B]the time came on a basketball court.[/B] But he also put up 26 reps at 225 pounds and had a 39-inch vertical jump, according to the Chicago Sun-Times

The basketball court is a forgiving surface but I think we should look into him

[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers"]NFL Draft - 2009 Risers and Fallers - CBSSports.com Football[/URL][/quote]

Good call on Williams. I read that earlier on CBS. He'd be worth a late round gamble depending on how the rest of FA and the front end of our draft goes.

That Guy 03-06-2009 04:09 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;534726]He pretty consistently runs it at around a 4.6. He was hurt (both physically and emotionally) during the combine[/quote]

emotionally?

SmootSmack 03-06-2009 04:26 PM

[quote=That Guy;534805]emotionally?[/quote]

He lost a close relative earlier in the day

53Fan 03-06-2009 04:41 PM

[quote=vallin21;534745]I would pass on Malauga, and Cushing. Both our very slow, and Cushing does not stay on the field enough to select him at 13. Malauga has good game speed but a 4.8 at the combine is disturbing. He plays MLB, a position which is a strength, and he hasn't shown he can play OLB. I like Cushing but I would wait until the third round to get a guy like Jason Williams:

The basketball court is a forgiving surface [B]but I think we should look into him[/B]

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers]NFL Draft - 2009 Risers and Fallers - CBSSports.com Football[/url][/quote]
I agree Vallin. I think there are some diamonds in the rough out there.

GTripp0012 03-06-2009 07:55 PM

[quote=That Guy;534805]emotionally?[/quote]Well, even though I wouldn't think that would affect a 40 time, pulling up lame before the finish line seemingly would.

Pocket$ $traight 03-06-2009 08:27 PM

This is pretty easy.

Before Phat Albert they needed a DT, a linebacker (possibly two) an OG, a RT, a P, and a PK.

After Albert they need a DE, a linebacker (possibly two) an OG, a RT, a P, and a PK.

nyredskinsfan 03-06-2009 08:46 PM

[quote=The Goat;531676]Good thread idea Ruh.

I think we still go OT [I][U]IF[/U][/I] our scouting indicates the available prospect(s), Oher and/or A. Smith probably, can successfully become a LT, not immediately but as Samuels transitions to RT (my own prediction). If the verdict is different for who's available and Rey Maluauga is available then it's a no-brainer IMO. Rey is the hardest hitter in the draft and plays a position we're already thin at. As GTripp has said if Fletcher gets nicked up for any period of time our defense will really suffer. Bottom line is Rey could play SLB as long as London is our QB on D and then transition to the middle... anyway i just don't think we can afford to pass on him cuz he's very special and top defenses need a monster MLB.

Our 2nd pick should be OL if we take LB @ 13 and vice versa...

5th round will be a tough call if Sidbury is there and a nice RB prospect is still available.

Last pick... punter LOL.[/quote]

As soon as the defenses realized the Skins couldn't pass block for any longer than short yardage plays it was Blitz City. Forever 3 and outs wore down our D so we ended up 8 an 8. Need to prop up the OL.

ibleedburgandy 03-07-2009 04:01 PM

Although this is my first post i'm a follower of the skins since birth and pay attention to the small stuff. Since Jansen costs too much to let go I say stay with the line we have now and let Jansen and Heyer battle it out again.

Try a trade with NE that would swap our 13th pick with their 23rd, and then one of their 2nd rd picks...since they have two (34 and 47). Draft the best available LB or DE in the 1st, best available interior o-lineman in the 2nd (better value for interior than tackle in the 2nd), and the best available LB or DE in the 3rd since both positions are deep in the draft. The last two picks use on a LB or FB for depth on special teams!

Hail!

That Guy 03-07-2009 04:33 PM

[quote=ibleedburgandy;535073]Although this is my first post i'm a follower of the skins since birth and pay attention to the small stuff. Since Jansen costs too much to let go I say stay with the line we have now and let Jansen and Heyer battle it out again.

Try a trade with NE that would swap our 13th pick with their 23rd, and then one of their 2nd rd picks...since they have two (34 and 47). Draft the best available LB or DE in the 1st, best available interior o-lineman in the 2nd (better value for interior than tackle in the 2nd), and the best available LB or DE in the 3rd since both positions are deep in the draft. The last two picks use on a LB or FB for depth on special teams!

Hail![/quote]

NE has never traded up, so i don't see that happening.

welcome though, and good first post ;).