Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rumor: Money Would Ruin Micheal Oher (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=29001)

Redskin Warrior 03-23-2009 01:49 PM

Rumor: Money Would Ruin Micheal Oher

[url=http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/03/23/ridiculous-notion-money-would-ruin-michael-oher/]Ridiculous Notion: 'Money Would Ruin Michael Oher' --NFL FanHouse[/url]

I don't know much about his past but I have read other post about him not being a stable individual and he had a very rough life. Thoughts?

GMScud 03-23-2009 01:57 PM

Re: Rumor: Money Would Ruin Micheal Oher

The guy who wrote this article does a good job dismissing the notion that money would "ruin" Oher. I've heard he is a smart, good dude. You could speculate becoming an instant millionaire (which happens to all 1st round picks) could "ruin" anyone.

mcludka 03-23-2009 02:01 PM

Wow. We are starved for something to talk about.

Slingin Sammy 33 03-23-2009 02:01 PM

If money is going to ruin any of the top 4 tackles it would be A. Smith., not Oher.

MTK 03-23-2009 02:05 PM

Moving to the draft forum.

FRPLG 03-23-2009 02:05 PM

I'd say that's a crappy piece. If the author read the article he'd know the questions come less from his upbringing and more from his displayed demeanor up until his JUNIOR year in highschool. He wasn't a bad kid but was so isolated from society he didn't know basic things like what a teapot was or even how to be at school. He meets Tom Lemming, doesn't know who he is, and won't even speak to the guy because he had no clue how to have a conversation. Not that he doesn't WANT to...he doesn't KNOW HOW. They had to teach him how to shake hands when he was a junior in high school. Wow. From all accounts he is a good egg but completely abandoned for almost all of his choldhood. He might as well haved lived in a closet. My concern is that emotionally he may not handle it. That said the guy is a monster and if a team drafts him and can rely on veteran teammates to mentor him and show him the ropes he could be a stud. I'd take him at 13 over Smith and cross my fingers.

The story about picking the DE up and carrying him off the field to the bus was awesome.

Zerohero 03-23-2009 02:06 PM

Don't really see the point of the article other then meeting a deadline. Because very few athletes were already millionaires before signing their first contract you could just <insert anyone> for the name in the headline. Looks like a misleading headline where there was no real reason to have the rumor in the first place.

SmootSmack 03-23-2009 02:10 PM

Are the Mike Williams references there because Michael Williams was Michael Oher's birth name as well?

Anyhow, didn't really get this article too much either

Nflnick11 03-23-2009 03:27 PM

This is just another red flag to add to the fact that he has a LD..I'm kinda leaning away from this guy now

GMScud 03-23-2009 03:47 PM

[quote=FRPLG;539172]I'd say that's a crappy piece. If the author read the article he'd know the questions come less from his upbringing and more from his displayed demeanor up until his JUNIOR year in highschool. He wasn't a bad kid but was so isolated from society he didn't know basic things like what a teapot was or even how to be at school. He meets Tom Lemming, doesn't know who he is, and won't even speak to the guy because he had no clue how to have a conversation. Not that he doesn't WANT to...he doesn't KNOW HOW. They had to teach him how to shake hands when he was a junior in high school. Wow. From all accounts he is a good egg but completely abandoned for almost all of his choldhood. He might as well haved lived in a closet. My concern is that emotionally he may not handle it. That said the guy is a monster and if a team drafts him and can rely on veteran teammates to mentor him and show him the ropes he could be a stud. I'd take him at 13 over Smith and cross my fingers.

The story about picking the DE up and carrying him off the field to the bus was awesome.[/quote]

Good post. I agree about taking Oher over Smith. What you mentioned about veteran players to mentor him - that certainly won't be a problem the dinosaurs up and down our O-line. :)

WaldSkins 03-23-2009 07:09 PM

He went all conference in the SEC. How dumb could he really be?

CRedskinsRule 03-23-2009 07:44 PM

[quote=GMScud;539207]Good post. I agree about taking Oher over Smith. What you mentioned about veteran players to mentor him - that certainly won't be a problem the dinosaurs up and down our O-line. :)[/quote]

I would really be happy if we get either one, I probably have way too much confidence in the tandem of Samuels and Dockery, but I think they would bring either of these guys in easily!

sportscurmudgeon 03-23-2009 07:54 PM

Michael Oher has the physical tools to be a GREAT offensive tackle. The question about him - - and he was the subject of a great book by Michael Lewis called "The Blind Side" if anyone is interested in reading about his life story - - is whether or not he has the internal motivation to become as great as his physical gifts indicate he may be.

If you watched him in college at all, you realize that the worst he will be as an OT in the NFL is a good solid starting tackle. He may have a Hall of Fame career - - in which case any team that passes over him in the draft will look as dumb as a sack of hammers - - or he may just be a good starting tackle for 8-10 years.

My favorite offensive tackle in this year's draft is the kid from Baylor, Jason Smith, because I don't see any way he will be less than very good. But if you want to take a gamble in the first round of the draft and go for the potential Hall of Fame tackle - - one that might make you forget about folks like Jacoby and Lachey - - Oher is an interesting proposition...

Redskin Jim 03-23-2009 08:10 PM

ANY player can implode when getting the fast money and lifestyle change that come with being a first round pick. The team takes a risk with every first round pick, EVERY YEAR! If Michael Oher is there at 13, we should take him. He will start right away at RT or RG, AND be an upgrade. As long as he keeps his head on straight, he will be a starting LT in this league. If, he really focuses on his game, he has the potential to be great. If he fissles out, and doesn't live up to his potential, he would be at least a starter for a few years somewhere on the line. The RISK is worth the potential reward for the Redskins where we need some serious tallent,(o-line), now and for the future.

redskingrove 03-26-2009 01:26 PM

It may be a moot point since all the top 4 OT may be gone by the 13th pick.

GTripp0012 03-29-2009 02:52 PM

Speaking of drafting players from Mississippi:

[url=http://www.sunherald.com/415/gallery/410797-a410779-t3.html]Brett Favre: NFL Draft, 1991[/url]

Some people just have their priorities in order, ya know.