Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who Should the Skins Draft If They Had the Lions' First Three Picks? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=29256)

SmootSmack 04-09-2009 10:13 PM

re: Who Should the Skins Draft If They Had the Lions' First Three Picks?

By the way, I realize the 33rd pick is not actually a first rounder but just go with it...

GridIron26 04-09-2009 10:19 PM

Jason Smith, either Freeman or Rey, and Alex Mack..

Nflnick11 04-09-2009 11:25 PM

If I were the lions, I would draft Eugene Monroe because he can do it all, and Jason smith kinda isn't a definite sure first overall pick to me, since he has had a few torn MCLs and ACLs in college, and he didn't run block a lot in college..I wouldn't get a QB because Sam Bradford next year will be available and looks like the real deal at QB, whereas these guys are alittle sketchy and uncertain to me

John Denny 04-09-2009 11:44 PM

Detroit is terrible so they should pick players that can contribute immediately. Screw Stafford - he'll be a terrible first pick. Who's going to block for him? Plus he's probably not ready. Yeah he played in the SEC which is a tough conference but he wasn't very consistent. I'd build my core team with a guy like Monroe (probably a safer pick like Jake Long) or the kid from Baylor or draft Curry (who'll pair up great with Sims). From there I'd play it by year and take the best available because lets face it, Detroit sucks.

John Denny 04-09-2009 11:45 PM

Detroit will likely have a top five pick next year and will have a chance to pick either Bradford or McCoy.

The Goat 04-09-2009 11:56 PM

Nice idea for a thread...

1) BJ Raji
20) Rey or Oher if Rey is gone
33) Alex Mack or Matthews if Mack is gone or Unger if both Mack and Matthews are gone.

...make sense?

GMScud 04-10-2009 12:01 AM

[quote=Nflnick11;544619]If I were the lions, I would draft Eugene Monroe because he can do it all, and Jason smith kinda isn't a definite sure first overall pick to me, since he has had a few torn MCLs and ACLs in college, and he didn't run block a lot in college..I wouldn't get a QB because Sam Bradford next year will be available and looks like the real deal at QB, whereas these guys are alittle sketchy and uncertain to me[/quote]

I never heard anything about Jason Smith having multiple torn ACLs and MCLs in college.

You wouldn't draft a QB just because Bradford will be available next year? The Lions address it now I think. How on earth do they know they'll have any chance at Bradford? To bank on a landing a player who won't even be draftable for another year is silly IMO.

If I was the Lions and couldn't get out of the 1st overall pick, I'd draft Sanchez at #1 (I think he's gonna be better than Stafford), the best O-lineman available at #20, then the best defender available at #33. Maybe Connor Barwin/James Laurinitis/Larry English.

The Goat 04-10-2009 12:05 AM

[quote=GMScud;544627]I never heard anything about Jason Smith having multiple torn ACLs and MCLs in college.

You wouldn't draft a QB just because Bradford will be available next year? You address it now I think. How on earth do they know they'll have any chance at Bradford? To bank on a landing a player who won't even be draftable for another year is silly IMO.

If I was the Lions and couldn't get out of the 1st overall pick, I'd draft Sanchez at #1 (I think he's gonna be better than Stafford), the best O-lineman available at #20, then the best defender available at #33. Maybe Connor Barwin/James Laurinitis/Larry English.[/quote]

Yeah but it isn't like the Lions are immediately desperate for a QB. All indications are big DC is working extremely hard this off-season and considers himself the starter...my guess is he'd beat out either top rookie this year. And there will be significantly more QB talent in next year's draft...not even comparable to this year really.

John Denny 04-10-2009 12:16 AM

[quote=The Goat;544628]Yeah but it isn't like the Lions are immediately desperate for a QB. All indications are big DC is working extremely hard this off-season and considers himself the starter...my guess is he'd beat out either top rookie this year. And there will be significantly more QB talent in next year's draft...not even comparable to this year really.[/quote]

Right on. Build the core of the team and draft a QB, if at all possible, next year.
Detroit has the opportunity to draft quite a few players that can contribute this year. If they're lucky, maybe this year's draft class will help them win three more games which will likely put them in the top 5 or so next year.

Dirtbag59 04-10-2009 12:17 AM

1. Matthew Stafford - QB - Georguh
1a. Eben Britton - OT - Arizona
2. Alex Mack - C - California
3. Lawrence Sidbury - DE - Richmond

GMScud 04-10-2009 12:17 AM

[quote=The Goat;544628]Yeah but it isn't like the Lions are immediately desperate for a QB. All indications are big DC is working extremely hard this off-season and considers himself the starter...my guess is he'd beat out either top rookie this year. And there will be significantly more QB talent in next year's draft...not even comparable to this year really.[/quote]

I like Daunte, I'd love to see him come out and light it up. But I don't know. Banking on him would be a huge risk for a desperate team and fan base, and a rookie HC. Then again, the new FO guys may want to be more disciplined and take sure-fire prospects like Curry or Smith/Monroe.

I maintain that Sanchez will be a really good pro QB.

The Goat 04-10-2009 12:22 AM

[quote=GMScud;544631]I like Daunte, I'd love to see him come out and light it up. But I don't know. Banking on him would be a huge risk for a desperate team and fan base, and a rookie HC. Then again, the new FO guys may want to be more disciplined and take sure-fire prospects like Curry or Smith/Monroe.

[B]I maintain that Sanchez will be a really good pro QB[/B].[/quote]

Worth taking @ 13 if he falls?

GMScud 04-10-2009 12:26 AM

[quote=The Goat;544634]Worth taking @ 13 if he falls?[/quote]

Hahaha. I knew that question was coming. I almost put a disclaimer at the bottom of that post.

No. Not worth taking at 13 for the Skins. If he's there at 13 he'd definitely be the best PA, but we've got bigger needs.

I think Jason Campbell will be a really good pro QB this year.

The Goat 04-10-2009 12:31 AM

Sanchez as trade-bait...maybe the Lions will value him at 13 and trade-up to get him. (I doubt they take a QB w/ the first pick...hell I'd take J. Smith, Curry or Raji all before the top QBs). Still the draft is really so unpredictable so I won't be surprised no matter what happens.

GMScud 04-10-2009 12:35 AM

[quote=The Goat;544637]Sanchez as trade-bait...maybe the Lions will value him at 13 and trade-up to get him. (I doubt they take a QB w/ the first pick...hell I'd take J. Smith, Curry or Raji all before the top QBs). Still the draft is really so unpredictable so I won't be surprised no matter what happens.[/quote]

If we've got a deal in place to move Sanchez, then sure, we could draft him. But in that case, why not just make the trade prior to the pick? I wouldn't draft him with nothing more than a hope that we can trade him.