Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gameplan for Dallas (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=2933)

MTK 09-20-2004 04:27 PM

Gameplan for Dallas

How should the Skins approach this game? What are the keys? Blast away!

la73hof 09-20-2004 04:42 PM

DONT BLITZ AS MUCH!!!

We have, can, and will exploit man to man match ups, especially deep

On defense, sit on the short routes..The Browns had passes completed in front of them several times in the first half.

To Dave Campo's credit (man it hurts to say that) they adjusted and picked Vinny off on 3 of his next 6 passes

The 3rd vinny Int was disguised very nicely...Robert Griffith line, up @ FS on the right side of his defensive alignment initially, then came off that coverage to his left and doubled Gleen late deep in the secondary and picked off the pass

On offense, utilize Chris Cooley early and often...we still struggle covering the TE

Run straight at us...William Green had more than a few nice runs right up the gut and @ other times cutting back....we over pursued and lost containment also

Since our zone coverage has been very soft, utilize the short passing game with Coles Gardener and McCants

Newman can be exploited by double moves, especially the out and up as Andre Davis showed twice...fortunately neither pass was completed

Hunter was solid yesterday but wasnt challenged deep

The biggest problem with our secondary is ball awareness on deep fades and bombs..our guys can stay with WR's but hardly ever play the ball

jrocx69 09-20-2004 04:42 PM

Max protect and find "MCCANTS"!!! , DEEP. to open up the running game. keep them honest to the deep ball, we have to open up some ground for portis to run through. and with the team speed dallas has on d, limit some of those guard and tackle pulls and and do some dives and offtackles. get portis just wide enough to use his speed and some quick hitting up the gut plays when sensing out side blitzes. last but not least, FIND COOLEY! i wanna seem some good 15 to 20 yard posts up the middle with one on one coverage.

defense , well, we need to zone blitz our asses off. and if anyone watched the cowboy/browns game... bill had vinny doing mini rollouts to prevent sacks, so i say some corner blitzes and move the lbs out when we do, cause vinny wont shoot up the middle. so when vinny rollsout... wham, shawn or freddy will pop him running into his direction. also would love to see some blind side blitzing to create some turnovers. we need daniels or warner to take a wide angle on the rush and have lavar shoot through the gap where the OT originally lines up to match him with rbs and fbs in protection, lavar should win those battles.

SmootSmack 09-20-2004 04:44 PM

The obvious question is who will start at QB? Hopefully, it's Brunell. But no matter who it is I think one of the keys for the Redskins will be to keep our QB from dictating the outcome. Ask them to manage the game early but don't ask them to win the game right away, that's not where our strengths lie. Give the ball to Portis, give it to Betts, throw screens to Coles, dump it off to Cooley. Methodically move the football and control the clock. It's boring but it's efficient. Let Portis break one loose, let Coles get a short pass in man coverage and use his speed to outrun the defense. They are our stars, we need to use them to win games. Put the game in their hands

Defensively I wouldn't really change anything. The defense is doing fine and I really don't see the Cowboys offense as being one we need to really worry about.

Redskins_P 09-20-2004 04:49 PM

I think eventhough the Dallas D is great. We should still run it right up the gut. Offense needs to control the clock and keep the defense fresh.

Defense needs to apply serious pressure on Testaverde, and we can't let Meshawn have big game.

Last but not least.....

ELIMINATE THE MISTAKES. NO TURNOVERS. NO SILLY PENALTIES.

Gmanc711 09-20-2004 06:52 PM

Win. Anyway they can. It can be 2-0 , 100-99, 100-0 I dont care. When I open the paper next Tuseday morning I need to see 2-1 and not 1-2. Blitz all 11 guys, Blitz no one, rush Portis every play, dont rush him at all, I dont care. We need to prove that we can beat Dallas. This isnt even about winning a game. If were 1-2, whoopdie sh*t its week 3. This is about being at home, on Monday Night Football, with those somebitches from Dallas coming into our yard and seeing how we respond. This has been the circled game since the moment the schedule came out. I've been chanting we want Dallas in my brothers face for the past three months. Next Monday its about The Washington Redskins. F*ck the Cowboys, F*ck America's Team. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS, BABY!

Hamlit 09-20-2004 07:25 PM

Dallas's defense is not as good as their offense is bad, we need to keep the blitzes going. We need to be loud! THe offense really just needs to score a few points and hold on to the ball. I would really like to see McCants come in and get some time. Portis out of the backfield more and alternate pounding the ball and running Portis around the end. I think that their secondary is a bit week so hit with a few deep shots. Cooley should see some more action, he fights for extra yardage without getting careless with the ball. Coles is solid, and so is our entire defense, so lets kick some Cowboy a**. Everytime the Cowboys score a point(even when it is against another team) it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't think that will be a problem unless our offense gives them up. Hail to the Redskins!

SUNRA 09-20-2004 10:52 PM

Start with a conservative running offense. Draw plays are effective for Portis. Get Cooley and Sellers involved early in the offense. Throw only short screen and dump-off passes and let them run for the stables. Allow Betts to get more touches so that Portis won't tire as quickly. When we have them biting on the run then throw down field for a big gain.

The defense must blitz from the beginning, middle and end of the game. Testerverde is interception prone and will give the ball up with a lot of pressure in his face. Sean Taylor must start to assist Smoot and Springs with Bryant,Johnson and Glenn. Get Bowen more involved at the line. The defense needs to do what it has been doing and we will definitely win.

SmootSmack 09-20-2004 11:25 PM

One more thing...fans have to be loud!!!!!!

Dirtbag 09-21-2004 01:50 AM

I want to hear loud, deafening chants of "Dallas Sucks" througout the stadium on Monday night, just like old times. Here's to the 12th man... :)

BIGREDSKINFAN63 09-21-2004 03:58 AM

short passes,establishing the run.those are the only ways the skins can win because they can't win with ramsey throwing long inacurate passes or pics.blitz a lot,keep the clamps on KJ and glenn.avoid dumb penalties and turnovers,get lucky.

JWsleep 09-21-2004 12:36 PM

Lots of play action bootlegs to Cooley, Rasby, etc. At least one flea flicker. Draw plays. Throw on first down.

SkinsRock 09-22-2004 03:20 PM

Not really a gameplan, but things I'd like to see them do:

Have Coles and Thrash start, with McCants as the #3 WR. Have Gardner hold a ball while sitting on the bench.

Hand the ball to Portis about 25 times, and 10 more to Betts.

Spread the ball around...get it to Cooley at least a few times.

Get Sean Taylor more involved in the D.

Blitz the hell out of Testesverde. Have Lavar pull "an Aikman" on him to let him know what it means to be a Dallas QB playing the Redskins.

Opening play prediction: Flea-flicker to Coles for a TD.

:dallas: :httr:

kingerock 09-22-2004 06:13 PM

I'd like to see the defense keep doing what they're doing. Playing well, pressuring the QB and keeping the other team out of the endzone.

I'd like to see the offense settle down and make good plays. It seems they are still playing the game in their head, thinking to much and not executing the small, simple things.

If we could just get consistent play out of our offense and let our playmakers make plays we could be in for a great season.

Hogskin 09-22-2004 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Defensively I wouldn't really change anything. The defense is doing fine and I really don't see the Cowboys offense as being one we need to really worry about.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, Smack. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We have the #1 defense.

On offense, I agree we NEED to be conservative. I would like to see more pitchouts to Portis. The handoffs following a crowd into the line has been meeting a crowd of defenders. I expect to see much less of that play. We need to get Portis into more open spaces to let him do his thing.