Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm calling fluke/freak game (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=2936)

VTSkins897 09-20-2004 05:26 PM

I'm calling fluke/freak game

Guys I'm going with D)... the game was a fluke/freak occurence. Whether or not Gibbs can win in "today's NFL" (terminology which i think is some b-s anyhow), he does not lose by having 7 turnovers in a game. And the fact that we still only lost by 6 can possibly give some headway into proving that...
Let's see:

-Portis, who doesn't fumble, fumbles...

-Brunell's INT was weak... Along with several more fumbles that are just whatever...

-PR throws 3 picks which were pretty bad, but it seemed to be more of just a snowball affect after the first 4 turnovers...

-Sure Gardner dropped some... So did Coles. So did Portis...

-If the Giants are gonna constantly put 8+ men in the box and the passing game still isn't working, do not expect any rushing yards from even a BarrySandersJimBrownJohnRiggins mutant.

We outgained them... Teams will not rush against us... Let's have some gelling time and then see where we stand. There's no way this team doesn't make the playoffs or at the VERY LEAST win 9 games. I was worried at first but screw that. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking maybe that our offense is a top performing one. But i have more than enough faith in it with Gibbs at the helm. The defense will keep us in games that our offense will eventually win...

So let Pastabelly run his fat mouth... Let everyone hate... But all that this gam was to me was a freak accident. I'd rather lose this and have teams think we're crap. Better than going on Monday Night thinking we're Super Bowl champs.

At any rate sorry for the stream of conscious...

CrazyCanuck 09-20-2004 05:38 PM

I agree. Giants bring everyone down to their level. Yesterday we saw just how low that is.

AnonEmouse 09-20-2004 05:39 PM

I agree it was something of a freak. Brunell was never known for throwing INT's and Portis fumbles?

However, 3 things worry me.
1) We are dropping too many passes for a JG coached team and Gardner in particular needs singling out. If he doesn't start picking up his game, the coaches will have to bench him.
2) Ramsey was really screwed up by Spurrier. It's sad because what I saw of him early looked good, but I wonder if he is too much damaged goods now? JG will know and if Brunell is not good to go Monday, then he will start Ramsey if he thinks he is redeemable. If Hasselbeck starts, look for Joe to trade Ramsey now or at the end of the season.
3) Where is our deep threat? JG used to set up the PA pass regularly and get great yardage out of it. We need to establish the run more reliably and suck the D in. If opposing D's believe they can stop us running, they will shut down our passing game. We need to keep them honest.

Other than that, you can't critique the D too much, except to say Bowen can't cover receivers. He either needs help or should be covering TE's etc. He can play the run and blitz great, but we need Taylor to step up now and Lott can then come in with him on passing downs.

sportscurmudgeon 09-20-2004 08:24 PM

The probvlem with the assertion that the Giants bring everyone down to their level is that they had lost nine in a row up until yesterday. So, until yesterday, they did not bring anyone down to their level for almost a year.

If you think NO ONE will run on this defense, you are living in a delusion. Tampa and the Giants have miserable offenses and really substandard running games. Do not start to convince yourselves that this defensive line is an up and coming bunch of people who will make everyone forget about the Miami Dolphins' "No Name Defense". This defensive line is a "no name" defense for a very good reason!

JWsleep 09-21-2004 02:57 AM

And now Daniels is out. ouch.

BIGREDSKINFAN63 09-21-2004 04:01 AM

i do'nt call it a fluke,i call it a very nonprofessional outright shitty performance by the redskins offense.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-21-2004 10:21 AM

As MattyK pointed out, the game was no more a fluke than Portis' 64-yard scamper in Week 1.

Here are some interesting stats:

Redskins Offense is ranked #19
Redskins Offense in 20th in 3rd down conversion percentage
Redskins Offense is 22nd in passing yardage
Redskins Offense has given up the 2nd most INTs
Redskins Offense is 27th in pass completion percentage at a measly 53%
Portis averaged just 3.5 yards per carry

HOWEVER,

Redskins Defense is STILL ranked #1
Redskins Defense gives up just 3.7 yards per carry
Redskins Defense allows just 15% of 3rd downs to be converted

SUNRA 09-21-2004 10:37 AM

The 4th and 1 stop against the Giants was the test that every defensive coach looks at as a criteria. We stopped Dayne with no problem. Tiki Barber had over 100 yds. last year against us and has had great games in the past. We prevented Tiki Barber, Amani Toomer, Ike Hillard and the golden boy Jeremy Shockey from beating us. This defense understands and believes in what Gregg Williams is teaching. Sean Taylor was a little confused on several plays when the Giants called an audible. Now, the offense has to settle down and let the game come to them. After the Portis fumbles , he began to tip-toe to the hole and not hit it the way we're used to seeing him. It was a game to use as a measuring stick. It's great that is happened when it did, because this coach we're facing on Monday night will exploit our QB problem and our defense will have to win this game.

firstnten 09-22-2004 11:25 AM

giants rediskins cowboys

[QUOTE]

i do'nt call it a fluke,i call it a very nonprofessional outright shitty performance by the redskins offense.
[/QUOTE]
Gibbs will correct his ship. The game was dicided by turnovers. You just can't win with 7 turnovers. that quote is right on. the redskins will play the giants again.

I can't call this weeks game. Gibbs vs. Parcells? what the spread?